Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account

How does the matchmaking work in this game?

My main account fell down to gold because of people picking 4+ dps pretty much every game lately. My other account is at 2700~ and my third account is in diamond.

How can there be such huge difference between the rating on the accounts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Even Apex Legends have better rated system.
    A very cool signature text.

The rating system is good.

The only people that complain about it are sub 3.5k and don't understand the game well enough to understand what causes them to lose so they freak out at everyone on their teams.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post

The only people that complain about it are sub 3.5k and don't understand the game well enough to understand what causes them to lose so they freak out at everyone on their teams.
    This. Except in Quick Play. That matchmaker is garbage. I should be playing with/against other people just as bad as me. Not Billy Badass who's been playing FPS for 15 years and clicks heads like a pro.

No it's not, and I'm in masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodd View Post
    No it's not, and I'm in masters.
    You are of course welcome to your opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    The match making system is pure dog shit, but it isn't as bad as Heroes of The Storm. That's somehow even worse.

Any system where the actions of others affect the entire team is not a good system. So if you're afraid of that, you
    may want to just stay away from Ranked altogether.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account

How is it good when there is like over 1000 rating differences between my accounts? If it was good, my accounts should be at similar ratings.
    Last edited by Empte; 2019-08-13 at 05:39 PM.

true, basically if you play more game blizzards determines your "true mmr" is lower and actually gravitates you towards that and the more you play the more harder it is to change your "true mmr" that the blizzard gods have decided for you, thats why my main is plat but i have an alt thats diamond. i literally cant gain SR on my main because of blizzards matchmaking being designed to keep you in your SR, but on a new account where your hidden mmr is flexible its MUCH easier to gain SR

Quote Originally Posted by Empte View Post
    How is it good when there is over 1000 rating differences between my accounts? If it was good, my accounts should be at similar ratings.
    Without more information this question is useless. How often do you play each account? Which heroes do you use on each? How many hours spent on each? Small sample sizes lend themselves to large errors, uncontrolled variables cause shifts, unless you can convince everyone you treat each account equally (which I'm 100% certain you don't) and have a fairly large number of games played on each, you are of course going to have a disparity in each accounts SR.

I have two accounts, both generally sit just below diamond unless I decide to use my alt to practice a new hero. That causes a few hundred SR drop for a bit but I'll eventually bring it back up. Other than the occasional day where I really want to just play DPS or I'm wildly hungover, my SR is pretty stable on both accounts.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Without more information this question is useless. How often do you play each account? Which heroes do you use on each? How many hours spent on each? Small sample sizes lend themselves to large errors, uncontrolled variables cause shifts, unless you can convince everyone you treat each account equally (which I'm 100% certain you don't) and have a fairly large number of games played on each, you are of course going to have a disparity in each accounts SR.

I have two accounts, both generally sit just below diamond unless I decide to use my alt to practice a new hero. That causes a few hundred SR drop for a bit but I'll eventually bring it back up. Other than the occasional day where I really want to just play DPS or I'm wildly hungover, my SR is pretty stable on both accounts.
    My highest alt account(3137) had 71 hours played this season and 181 games won, 367 played, my lowest account had 72 and 183 games won, 364 played.

The heroes played on my highest alt account is:
    Roadhog 11 hours (53% win rate)
    Torbjörn 9 hours (55% win rate)
    Mcree 7 hours (39% win rate)
    Moira 6 hours (61% win rate)
    Soldier: 76 6 hours (42% win rate)
    Ashe 5 hours (52% win rate)
    Mercy 5 hours (have like 30% win rate on her, played her mostly when playing solo and team was screaming about picking healers)
    Mei 4 hours (58% win rate)
    Junkrat 3 hours (64% win rate)
    Orisa 2 hours (35% win rate)
    Reinhardt 2 hours (69% win rate)

Then rest with varying playtime from a few minutes to an hour.

On my lowest account(2200ish at the end):

Torbjörn 9 hours (56% win rate)
    Roadhog 8 hours (67% win rate)
    Soldier 76: 6 hours (71% win rate)
    Ashe 5 hours (54% win rate)
    Mei 5 hours (57% win rate)
    Mccree 5 hours (34% win rate)
    Junkrat 3 hours (59% win rate)
    Orisa 2 hours (80% win rate)
    Reinhardt 2 hours (34% win rate)

Then rest with varying playtime from a few minutes to an hour.

How is this possible with this high rating difference between the accounts? Win rate is roughly the same overall and far higher on some characters on the lower account. When I play my lowest account, people cry about smurfing but how am I smurfing when I can't get it higher?
    Last edited by Empte; 2019-08-13 at 05:53 PM.

snip
    Just looking at the fairly different distributions of heroes and times played it's fairly obvious you do not approach each account equally. If you want to have all your accounts around the same SR you need to play in the same way irrespective of which account you use. Seems like a waste of an alt to me but if that's what you want then go for it.

Rating system doesn't make people pick whatever is needed. That's only on the players.
    How is this possible with this high rating difference between the accounts? Win rate is roughly the same overall and far higher on some characters on the lower account. When I play my lowest account, people cry about smurfing but how am I smurfing when I can't get it higher?
    Win rate is not an indication on if you should be high ranked or low ranked. Any rating system worth it's salt will put you up against higher rated people if they see you win so you can climb the ladder. When you climb up you will face higher and higher ranked until you start losing and your win rate equalize towards 50%. If you maintain around 50% on that rank you are now at the correct rank for you. When you start winning more you will climb because the system tries to find a place for you where you have 50% win rate.

Same goes for opposite if you lose and dropping ranks.

That's the general idea. That means that both a high rank player and a low rank player should be around 50% if they are in the right place, so their stats could look similar.
    What your win rate and ranking tells me is that you played badly on the lower account more often, especially when it tried to push you up, compared to your high rank one.
    While you excelled or played better than normal on the high rank one more often than the other account. Player skill fluctuates and performance differs. Could also be that when you play the lower ranked one you are frustrated because it's so low and you play with people you feel you shouldn't play with, which also hinders your performance.

In short: Win rate doesn't dictate where you should be, only if you are where you are supposed to be.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-08-14 at 08:19 AM.

Nice generalization there.

Im in the same boat as the OP, my main account is in 2.1, my alt account 3k.

When I first bought OW I jumped straight into comp with barley any experience to what I was doing. As a result I got thrown into the low ranks, I'd guess in todays ranking system it would be bronze.

I went into S2 better, but not overly great. Since S3 I've put countless hours into practicing an array of heroes before even touching comp. Mostly two tanks, two healers. As I said now up to 2.1, was 2.4 last month.

The issue isn't my understanding, I can play around teams made up of solos or predominately premades. I know which heroes work better togeather under different map conditions. I keep my cool and try to keep the peace.

The issue in gold is simple. People rage quit, argue, pick troll picks, stack DPS nearly every single game. A lot of the time with arguments, they erupt before the game even starts. With people 5 stacking dps it just makes life awkward as well. I can't play the optimal pick with that as I'll just die instantly

However, the main issue is me sucking donkey dick in S1. It's just had a knock on effect season after season. This is why I tried an alt account.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    Just looking at the fairly different distributions of heroes and times played it's fairly obvious you do not approach each account equally. If you want to have all your accounts around the same SR you need to play in the same way irrespective of which account you use. Seems like a waste of an alt to me but if that's what you want then go for it.
    Dude, I shouldn't be at 2200ish on one account if I'm playing in diamond on my other account. It's roughly the same heroes except mercy and moira. If the system worked, it would be closer to the highest account. My first account is unable to pretty much rank up to diamond, my highest account ranked right into diamond after first placements and I've stayed there every season since I made it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    What your win rate and ranking tells me is that you played badly on the lower account more often
    What? 71% win rate on soldier vs 42% on my highest account is playing badly? 67% on roadhog vs 53% on my highest account is playing badly? I obviously shouldn't be at gold with these win rates. 80% win rate vs 35% on orisa?
    Last edited by Empte; 2019-08-14 at 08:22 PM.

What? 71% win rate on soldier vs 42% on my highest account is playing badly? 67% on roadhog vs 53% on my highest account is playing badly? I obviously shouldn't be at gold with these win rates. 80% win rate vs 35% on orisa?
    Read my entire post.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Read my entire post.
    If I'm winning that much, I shouldn't be at that rating. That's how rating systems are supposed to work. I'm constantly accused of smurfing on that low account because I just wreck people.

Dude, I shouldn't be at 2200ish on one account if I'm playing in diamond on my other account. It's roughly the same heroes except mercy and moira. If the system worked, it would be closer to the highest account. My first account is unable to pretty much rank up to diamond, my highest account ranked right into diamond after first placements and I've stayed there every season since I made it.
    I don't agree, I've played at 2200 and it's painfully easy to carry given my main is nearer 3000. What at your games like at 2200? What stops you stomping people given you should have gamesense and mechanical abilities far beyond those you play against?

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm winning that much, I shouldn't be at that rating. That's how rating systems are supposed to work. I'm constantly accused of smurfing on that low account because I just wreck people.
    That's not how winrate works, it's high while you're climbing then levels off as obviously, the games get harder. Anyone could drop 500 SR and then play a gew games to get a ludicrously high WR, it doesn't mean they belong in GM. Play your high WR heroes some more, see what happens to the number. You'll either climb or it'll drop.