Returning to GW2

So ive not played since launch, only level 23. I've read that if i buy the latest expansion Path of Fire i get a level 80 boost? Do i need to also have Heart of Thorns or can i skip that purchase?

Also any advice on what i should do when i boost to 80 would be nice.

10+ Year Old Account
    You get a boost with an expac. If you buy Path of Fire you get one boost. If you buy Heart of Thorns you get another.

You don't need to buy Heart of Fire but you'll miss out on its content, gliders, its classes, and its raids if that's your thing.

I usually recommend that people don't boost until they've gone through 1-80 at least once. That way you can learn the games gradually learn the game's mechanics and systems. Doesn't make a huge difference. You can sort of test each class before you commit to your boost by clicking the boost but not leaving the map it takes you to. You can also try out the skills/mechanics for the Path of Fire specializations in pvp without worrying about the boost.

If you do boost I'd jump straight into the PoF story then go back and do the stuff you missed. If anything get your first mount. Only takes about 10-15 min in the first PoF story instance. You can even get it without being lvl 80 if you ask someone in Lion's Arch to run you through.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

7+ Year Old Account
    If you return now as a casual player you could potentially play already released content for years to come, but at the end of the day the future of the game is uncertain, I would hesitate to invest heavily in a game that could be in maintenance mode already.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinaa View Post
    but at the end of the day the future of the game is uncertain, I would hesitate to invest heavily in a game that could be in maintenance mode already.
    Aside from Reddit shitposting from raiders, how is it uncertain? Last two months since episode 6 had content releases without break and we'll get some news on Season 5 after FotFW.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Aside from Reddit shitposting from raiders, how is it uncertain? Last two months since episode 6 had content releases without break and we'll get some news on Season 5 after FotFW.
    Anet must hate announcing anything to the hive on reddit.

Announce concepts they're playing with "Anet promised it to us yesterday and it's still not here!“

Announce new content "But what about after that!“

Fine we'll just wait until the stuff is ready "They never speak to us! GW2 is dead!"

The game has gone through this cycle every year since its launched. Makes it hard to actually critize Anet without looking like you're jumping on the annual bandwagon.

- - - Updated - - -

If you return now as a casual player you could potentially play already released content for years to come, but at the end of the day the future of the game is uncertain, I would hesitate to invest heavily in a game that could be in maintenance mode already.
    That's kind of the good thing about GW1 and GW2. People are still picking up GW1 just to play through the solo stuff.

Id get Heart of Thorns for the glider and the lvl boost. Also make sure to log in every day just for the daily reward eventually you'll earn enough lvl books to lvl up a few free lvl 80s.

7+ Year Old Account
    All of the living story content released since POF launch doesn't much up to Mechagon, not even close. All the raids released since PoF don't much up to one Wow raid tier, not in terms of quantity.
    Now sure Anet will probably announce one more living story season, they may even release a short raid wing early next year and I'm being optimistic here, but I fear that if an expansion had been in the works they would've announced it already, considering how much the game's health needed that announcement.

I could also go on and on how pvp is in a terrible state without any active development to rectify things, not counting their half assed efforts at balancing. Also POF's open world content is way worse than what came before...POF felt like a theme park terrain specifically designed to show off mounts with the aim to cash in with the gem shop skins. Even though mounts are mechanically really innovative, their negative effect is much more pronounced than flying's in WoW. Gliding and crazy cool 3d maps were way better in HoT, but now they've even released some really game breaking mount types, especially the skyscale. Will they continue with making older mounts slightly obsolete introducing new ever so slightly improved mount types to make higher profits?
    No MMO I know of was as much about fashion wars as Gw2 before HoT. Now I could probably count the armor sets released in the past 5 years without needing all 10 fingers. Sure Blizz in BFA really ignored the transmog crowd so far, but compared to GW2 current WoW is still miles ahead.

So i just bought Path of Fire for £8 its on sale on cdkeys planning to boost my warrior. Is Warrior still a viable class for PVP and PVE? Is there a better melee class?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane-Thunder-God View Post
    So i just bought Path of Fire for £8 its on sale on cdkeys planning to boost my warrior. Is Warrior still a viable class for PVP and PVE? Is there a better melee class?
    Open world, everything is viable. Endgame instances (fractals and raids), the Heart of Thorns is in more than a good spot right now, the POF spec for warrior has fallen behind in PVE. PVP, all specs for warrior are viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's nowhere near maintenance mode lol. Maybe you're thinking of swtor.

Well we know the next expansion was cancelled/shelved for now but it does see consistent content additions as a whole already with a crazy amount of content to do. I would go back bu my issue is I have no one interested in playing.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Well we know the next expansion was cancelled/shelved for now but it does see consistent content additions as a whole already with a crazy amount of content to do. I would go back bu my issue is I have no one interested in playing.
    Did we ever have confirmation it was being worked on? I know they canceled projects when the layoffs hit, but I don't eve remember there being confirmation that another expansion was in the works.

Apparently as far back as a year ago (well before the layoffs) the word was that we'd get LS Season 5 before the next expansion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omng5uAhMjk (Wooden Potatoes video)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    It's nowhere near maintenance mode lol. Maybe you're thinking of swtor.
    Even SWTOR is getting a form of expansion later this year. Support has definitely dropped, but that game isn't in maintenance mode by any definition of the word either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well we know the next expansion was cancelled/shelved for now
    Source? I've never heard that. In fact it was explicitly stated that no upcoming GW2 content was cancelled during layoffs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    Source? I've never heard that. In fact it was explicitly stated that no upcoming GW2 content was cancelled during layoffs etc.
    Are you sure? I remember reading that some was postponed because they had to restructure all the teams.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Are you sure? I remember reading that some was postponed because they had to restructure all the teams.
    See the Wooden Potatoes video above. They confirmed well before the layoffs that S5 was coming before an expansion and IIRC had never even confirmed one was in the works.

The restructure delayed the last living story episode a bit and cause other plans/projects/timelines to move around, but they weren't specific on what any of those were.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    See the Wooden Potatoes video above. They confirmed well before the layoffs that S5 was coming before an expansion and IIRC had never even confirmed one was in the works.

The restructure delayed the last living story episode a bit and cause other plans/projects/timelines to move around, but they weren't specific on what any of those were.
    Ok good, I was hoping that nothing was 100% confirmed, I want another expansion.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

Ok good, I was hoping that nothing was 100% confirmed, I want another expansion.
    I have little doubt there will be. Given the rejiggering of the teams (with apparently more people coming back to work on GW2 proper) I wouldn't be surprised if they're working on parallel development of LS episodes and the expansion. Plus the potential mobile game that NCsoft mentioned on the call (as a possibility).

Yeah!!! The game is really great!