Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutpile View Post
    At least the script won't be ruined by Jordan's horrible writing, she said to the wool-headed fool, tugging on her braid.
    Fuck Nynaeve.

Burn me I wish someone killed her off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftExE View Post
    Yeah I'm surprised at that statement too. Crossroads of Twilight (book 10) is considered by many to be the worst book in the series. I don't know if I'd consider it the worst, but Jordan's later books were just less appealing to me than the early/middle ones. I thought Sanderson did a great job, though I do have a bias since I like his other works,
    Crossroads of Twilight I skipped.

Read about half of it, was like "FUCK THIS" and looked up a plot summary online.

Like, I don't care about Elayne's fucking dresses, jesus.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Nynaeve would tug her braid at you in dismay and maybe raise you in the air by the scruff of your shirt. And that's if you are lucky and Lan does not bitch slap you all the way to the Blight.

I love Nynaeve, sure she is a faulty character but she has character development and unlike most of the females in this series she is actually capable of admitting to a mistake. Plus, she is a badass.
    Yeah, but her personality so grating.
    Putin khuliyo

Nynaeve would tug her braid at you in dismay and maybe raise you in the air by the scruff of your shirt. And that's if you are lucky and Lan does not bitch slap you all the way to the Blight. I love Nynaeve, sure she is a faulty character but she has character development and unlike most of the females in this series she is actually capable of admitting to a mistake. Plus, she is a badass.
    ...and when she realized that she could heal insanity...that was a shining moment.

She was born an Aes Sedai in the truest sense; a Servant to All.

Probably why she was so flawed, and why she would have chosen Lan over the White Tower if push came to shove.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly found Perrin to have the worst story arc in the series. All the despair and emo crap was annoying, and the whole wolf bit is lame compared to other characters. I mean, he wasn't the badass warrior like Lan, nor could he use magic like Rand. There are a few facets of other characters that are annoying, but none are as annoying as the Perrin/Faile story arc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Yeah, but her personality so grating.
    So are most of the female characters. Min was one of the few female characters who was entertaining, Aviendha was decent too. Otherwise the women were all either nutters or sadists of some varying degrees.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Main cast has been announced:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...160212334.html

"Josha Stradowski has been cast in the role of Rand al’Thor, with Marcus Rutherford set to play Perrin Aybara and Zoë Robins playing Nynaeve. In addition, Barney Harris will play Mat Cauthon and Madeleine Madden will play Egwene Al’Vere. They join previously announced cast member Rosamund Pike."

10+ Year Old Account
    That cast looks like they belong in a twilight reboot.. top kek

This gon' be some tween trash

10+ Year Old Account
    Never read the books, is this another The Shannara Chronicles and Shadowhunters? Promised a lot, delivered nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think many people will agree that genocide can be justified.

omg...no..please.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the Wheel of Time but I cannot imagine what exactly the reception will be to the rampant misogyny.
    Well...not really misogyny. More like an intense dislike for the preeminent power structure which just happens to favor women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Never read the books, is this another The Shannara Chronicles and Shadowhunters? Promised a lot, delivered nothing.
    It's hook is some pretty in depth world building but the series was hamstrung by the author's inability to control his own plot which spiralled out of control as well as his turgid prose and some borderline misogynistic character development (several examples of female characters who fall from a position of power and discover they find true happiness with a man controlling them...and the female characters who gain power are almost without exception are bitchy harridans more obsessed with getting one over each other than literally saving the world).

It's not great.

It's not terrible either.

It went on way too long, and the long awaited ending was so delayed it was pretty much an anti climax when it arrived.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I love the Wheel of Time but I cannot imagine what exactly the reception will be to the rampant misogyny.
    It’s been a few years since I’ve read the books but what rampant misogyny? Men get killed or sent to die for being wizards while women run a multiple powerful witch schools and surround them selfs with male body guards/meat shields/ concubines.

The only thing I can think of that stands out is rand getting 3 wife’s all of which stand up to/
    boss him around at one point or another.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    It's hook is some pretty in depth world building but the series was hamstrung by the author's inability to control his own plot which spiralled out of control as well as his turgid prose and some borderline misogynistic character development (several examples of female characters who fall from a position of power and discover they find true happiness with a man controlling them...and the female characters who gain power are almost without exception are bitchy harridans more obsessed with getting one over each other than literally saving the world).

It's not great.

It's not terrible either.

It went on way too long, and the long awaited ending was so delayed it was pretty much an anti climax when it arrived.
    Did we read the same books? I can’t remember any of the main women finding them selfs subservient they all either stand on equal footing with there men or are above them in terms of the witches.

The only stand out is rand but even then none of his wife’s are meek.

As far as fighting over power thats just a wizard thing it has nothing to do with being women.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It’s been a few years since I’ve read the books but what rampant misogyny? Men get killed or sent to die for being wizards while women run a multiple powerful witch schools and surround them selfs with male body guards/meat shields/ concubines.

The only thing I can think of that stands out is rand getting 3 wife’s all of which stand up to/
    Gotta agree with you here.

I am in the middle of book 14 right now - did the whole thing as Audio books. (Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are beasts at reading books - so great!)

I had a friend/colleague warn me about the misogyny (I am a man, but a staunch feminist as I feel is demanded by our times). I can see why folks see it in these books, but I think it's more the fact that Jordan *sucked* at writing from women's perspectives.

There are plenty of concepts in the book that favor women's rights/power - look at the Wise One's, the Aes Sedai, Andor's line of Queens.

But as soon as I got to the Sanderson books, and heard how he wrote from the women's perspectives, I could see Jordan's shortcomings.
    Kepano the Awakened (Main - Resto Shaman)
    Kepana the Seeker (Alt - Druid)

7+ Year Old Account
    And you have book after book of reasonable men trying to understand women while all women refuse to see any value in men and call them idiots.

Pretty much, if I remember right only ninieve and I think Matt’s wife weren’t incredibly dismissive.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you have book after book of reasonable men trying to understand women while all women refuse to see any value in men and call them idiots.
    This is unfair to me. MANY of the Men's internal thoughts about the Women are making the Men look stupid via their simplistic opinions of the Women. It's not like the Women then turn around and go "oh, your right Matt, we are all ridiculous".

Both sexes of characters display misconceptions about each other throughout.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by voxnor View Post
    Gotta agree with you here.

I am in the middle of book 14 right now - did the whole thing as Audio books. (Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are beasts at reading books - so great!)

I had a friend/colleague warn me about the misogyny (I am a man, but a staunch feminist as I feel is demanded by our times). I can see why folks see it in these books, but I think it's more the fact that Jordan *sucked* at writing from women's perspectives.

There are plenty of concepts in the book that favor women's rights/power - look at the Wise One's, the Aes Sedai, Andor's line of Queens.

But as soon as I got to the Sanderson books, and heard how he wrote from the women's perspectives, I could see Jordan's shortcomings.
    Sanders pulls it off a lot better if you ask me. While I enjoyed wheel of time a lot I don’t think I’d actually go and reread it mainly due to how most of the women (and a few of the men) are done so poorly and take up so much of the series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post

The entire Siuan Sanche character arc.

Egwene becoming simultaneously more unlikable the more powerful she becomes.

The Aes Sedai in general acting like a collection of spoiled bitchy school girls rather than the most learned and powerful women in their section of the world.

The magic system where men have to struggle against the one power to channel it by mastering it whereas women have to submit to it.

And the entire Sul'dam-Damane relationship, with strong women leading docile women they control around on magical collars which is a barely veiled male fantasy over lesbian relationships.

Oh, and the fact Rand has three women loving him who are all Ok with it which you brought up.

Misogyny is woven throughout the entire franchise.
    Last edited by Obelisk Kai; 2019-08-14 at 08:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing about those favor's women's power. The Aes Sedai are largely depicted as corrupt, overbearing and incompetent of innovation. Half the problems you encounter in these books are because of Aes Sedai arrogance and intransigence. Jordan takes every negative trait we attribute to women and builts entire structure of power around them while following three young men who all respect women and constantly try to reason with them only to be frustrated by them.

I mean Egwene alone.
    If you consider the way Matt acts in the first several books "Respecting Women" than you and are I far apart on view of this and that world.

I can't agree with your points on Aes Sedai - they had corruption like other organizations, but they are also painted as the glue that holds the entire continent's organization together.

And the Wise Ones? You don't think that is a fantastic display of Women's Power and societal structure?

Andor's queen line? This is an example of misogyny how?

And Egwene is a bad ass - not sure how you have complaints about her.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing about those favor's women's power. The Aes Sedai are largely depicted as corrupt, overbearing and incompetent of innovation. Half the problems you encounter in these books are because of Aes Sedai arrogance and intransigence. Jordan takes every negative trait we attribute to women and builts entire structure of power around them while following three young men who all respect women and constantly try to reason with them only to be frustrated by them.

I mean Egwene alone.

Being corrupt and arrogant are just basic wizard traits though it’s not a gendered thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelisk Kai View Post
    Oh, and the fact Rand has three women loving him who are all Ok with it which you brought up.

Misogyny is woven throughout the entire franchise.
    That's a bullshit point, given that hundred's of aes sedai keep more than one warder and it is spelled out that they often have intimate relationships with those multiple warders.

Turnabout is fair play, or some such.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Wheels of Time isn't a YA (young adult, AKA tween shit) novel as far as I know so it shouldn't be anything like the objective crap you mentioned.

...technically...

They can always fuck everything up, wouldn't be the first time we see that.