Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    i think there is decent chance for week 1 rag tbh.
    Those people are underestimating leveling a lot. Gearing is the next problem. This isn't WoD, Legion or BfA where you can get to max level in 10-20 hours even by hardcore grinding.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    In the original version of Classic, Ragnaros went undefeated for a whopping 154 days, aka 5 months and some change. It's a very arrogant claim to say it'll be defeated in a week this time around, but unlikely as it is I don't think it's impossible to beat the Vanilla World First record. On one hand, it took lots of preparation for not one person, but 40 people. You then had to learn the mechanics and each boss took multiple tries. That doesn't even mention the fact that attempting this would be the same as if Vanilla WoW players rushed for MC the second the original game launched. Though we do have an infinite wealth of meta-knowledge about the game compared to Vanilla's original launch, we're still limited physically by the game mechanics. For example leveling takes a lot longer than it does in BfA; you can't take a nap and wake up at max level. At best you'd take 2-3 weeks just to hit 20 or 30, so good luck leveling your entire 40-man fucking raid team to 60 before then, and then getting their weapon skills leveled, their professions maxed for the proper pots, food, and gear, and then each of them attuned, as well as farming runs for gear & more mats from the mobs and first few bosses before you can even start in earnest and make real progress.

On the other hand though, that was back in Vanilla when simple concepts of tank-and-spank, CC, and staying-out-of-the-fire was considered hard. Nowadays you'll find that stuff in your average dungeon, while our raid mechanics are drastically more complicated with multiple phases that require several different things from each roll. The skill ceiling is much higher (and always rising), while CC and positioning are just side dish mechanics that are constantly thrown at us with every boss. (though CC in it's purest form isn't used much nowadays, I'm still considering things like off-tanks or groups of DPS focusing on certain minions during a fight to be a form of CC).

TL;DR - Took roughly 5 months to world first Ragnaros in original Vanilla. Clearing it in 1 week is a tall order (grind to max lvl, attunement, gear/rep/proff/weap-skill grind, farming runs vs actual raid progress, etc, altogether it takes months). On bright side, modern raiders have higher skill ceiling than their 2005 counterparts: Positioning, CC, tank/spank was the challenge for vanilla guilds; for us it's just the basics. After required prep work, beating that 5 month world record isn't impossible.
    You literally had to enter MC by running through BRD when vanilla started.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    Those people are underestimating leveling a lot.
    Why exactly do you think that's the case? Like, what reason do you have to believe that people who have done nothing but play Classic for years, don't know exactly what they're getting into?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    Why exactly do you think that's the case? Like, what reason do you have to believe that people who have done nothing but play Classic for years, don't know exactly what they're getting into?
    Expectation. I don't think they'll even get close to Ragnaros within week 1 but we will see.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope US wins some Classic "world first", they need to win something, sometime
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Good to them, but Classic is the journey, not the endgame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    Why rush tho? The Clasdic WoW world is very nice, There's no need to rudh through it.
    People enjoy these "challenges".

good luck to the guy, i seriously doubt it, finding 40 other no lifers that can get to 60, get attuned, gear up, and then actually cooperate with each other, in just 7 days. heres to hoping he doesn't turn out like that one kid that died because he played for days with no sleep xD

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    You only need Honored with the Hydraxian to be able to kill Ragnaros. Meaning if they only kill the "fire naga" bosses while also clearing trash they'll hit it quickly after trash reset. I am mentioning those bosses specifically since all other ones are tied to certain trash respawn, for those that don't know.
    You can't those bosses to get Rep because you need to kill them for a Hydraxian quest AFTER getting the rep to unlock the water that you need to summon Domo.

You need to farm early trash or mobs in the outside world (silithus is probably easiest)

Week 1 Rag might be possible if you get 40 people who completely no-life it for a week.
    Week 2 Rag is much more likely and imo almost guaranteed to happen.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Doesnt it take about 1 week (~4 ingame days /played) to get to level 60 with the very best route? And since there will be hundred of people trying to follow the same route....

Rag week one is borderline impossible, unless someone (and i mean between 30 and 40 persons) plan to not sleep for 1 week... good luck, i'll be watching on the side laughing at people on the reset day when they realise they failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    People enjoy these "challenges".
    It would be easier to do a bare hand punch through a brick wall than to do raggy first week, He should try that instead.

Think some of you guys are underestimating these private server players. They've been playing "vanilla" for years this is they're one shot to actually make a name for them self's so they're gonna go real hard! best of luck to the psycho's :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by robotusch View Post
    If you mean the dwarf hunter, that was on a pserver with inflated xp values though. At one point he hands in a pair of quests in Gadgetzstan; someone went back and compared Joana's VOD from 2006 and found that the former recieved 40% more xp compared to when Joana handed in the same pair of quests.
    Hmm, no I don't think it was a dwarf hunter, but I guess it could have been. But solo times are pretty slow in comparison to what you can do in a group anyway, and those who are aiming for world first are going to be leveling in groups.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd be amazed if they pull it off and I mean that. I genuinely think it's impossible. Second week? Sure, try-hards already put that much effort into the game as it is so it makes sense.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    In the original version of Classic, Ragnaros went undefeated for a whopping 154 days, aka 5 months and some change. It's a very arrogant claim to say it'll be defeated in a week this time around, but unlikely as it is I don't think it's impossible to beat the Vanilla World First record. On one hand, it took lots of preparation for not one person, but 40 people. You then had to learn the mechanics and each boss took multiple tries. That doesn't even mention the fact that attempting this would be the same as if Vanilla WoW players rushed for MC the second the original game launched. Though we do have an infinite wealth of meta-knowledge about the game compared to Vanilla's original launch, we're still limited physically by the game mechanics. For example leveling takes a lot longer than it does in BfA; you can't take a nap and wake up at max level. At best you'd take 2-3 weeks just to hit 20 or 30, so good luck leveling your entire 40-man fucking raid team to 60 before then, and then getting their weapon skills leveled, their professions maxed for the proper pots, food, and gear, and then each of them attuned, as well as farming runs for gear & more mats from the mobs and first few bosses before you can even start in earnest and make real progress.

On the other hand though, that was back in Vanilla when simple concepts of tank-and-spank, CC, and staying-out-of-the-fire was considered hard. Nowadays you'll find that stuff in your average dungeon, while our raid mechanics are drastically more complicated with multiple phases that require several different things from each roll. The skill ceiling is much higher (and always rising), while CC and positioning are just side dish mechanics that are constantly thrown at us with every boss. (though CC in it's purest form isn't used much nowadays, I'm still considering things like off-tanks or groups of DPS focusing on certain minions during a fight to be a form of CC).

TL;DR - Took roughly 5 months to world first Ragnaros in original Vanilla. Clearing it in 1 week is a tall order (grind to max lvl, attunement, gear/rep/proff/weap-skill grind, farming runs vs actual raid progress, etc, altogether it takes months). On bright side, modern raiders have higher skill ceiling than their 2005 counterparts: Positioning, CC, tank/spank was the challenge for vanilla guilds; for us it's just the basics. After required prep work, beating that 5 month world record isn't impossible.
    This post is kind of hilarious, no one who's sane believes thinks beating that "world record" is impossible. Depending on server stability I'm certain we will have multiple Ragnaros kills by the 10th day or proper second week.

1 week seems extremely difficult, but it wont surprise me at all. we simply have too much knowledge now. I think the most impact will be from how close the pservers got to the real thing. If they were dramatically easier, the hardcore crowd will be in for a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    It's not hate. It's simply that I don't believe it's possible, and frankly, it's arrogant to think that he is good enough to do it when we couldn't back in classic.
    Well, it's ambitious, and I'd let him have a try before I judge.
    "You will never achieve the impossible, unless you try."

15+ Year Old Account
    Nah, GRIZZLY will. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marxman View Post
    There will be people at level 60 by day 4. Easily. I think you vastly underestimate how "solved" the leveling grind and early 60 end-game are. There are people with exact routes that hit 60 in 3.5 days, especially now that we know the dungeon aoe grind is the fastest way to hit 60. There will be people that do 1-60 in a single sitting on absurd amounts of caffeine, adderall, and cocaine. Is that the norm? God no. But it is possible, and I assure you it will be done.

It also doesn't take anywhere near a few weeks to gear up and get attunements. Maybe a full day, 1.5 days at most with a good group.

You can full-clear MC in the first week if you get a few people the Waterlords rep. I don't know where in the world you're getting "2-3 weeks" for the first Rag kill. If you can summon Rag, you can easily kill him in just about full greens. 2x Fire Pot is plenty for the raid, and the only people who needs Fire Resist are 2 tanks, and even then ~125-150 is plenty with decent healers. Keep in mind 75 of that comes from Juju and Aura/Totem. You can also abuse the UBRS FR buff if you want.

You seem to have a very loose grasp on how much things have changed in 15 years. Classic is entirely solved at this point. It's not hard.
    Thank you. Finally someone who knows what he is talking about. Week 1 kill will happen. Leveling speed on Beta has proved that under 4 days played to 60 is perfectly doable, no matter what Joana claims to be a record 15 years ago.

i don't think the levelling to 60 in one week is a problem, its the 35-40 ppl from the same guild hitting 60 in a week. random ppl hitting 60 in a week sure, a whole raid guild managing to hit 60 in one week with classes that level slower than others.. your healers for example, priests aren't going to level to 60 in a week without being carried in some way ie spamming groups. I can see the getting to 60 not being the issue, I just can't see that many full guilds managing to get all their members to 60.

this is only going to be possible for those who actually go in with a premade guild, rag tag bunches of ppl levelling to 60 then cobbling a guild together will never work.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2019-08-15 at 01:27 PM.