Plastic straws vs. Paper straws.

I know everyone loves Steven Crowder so what do you think about it? Paper or plastic?
    Personally I don't really like using straws at all but I only drink water.

But i love those McDonalds drinks that come in a FUCKING BIG PLASTIC CUP WITH A FUCKING BIG PLASTIC LID. then i have to taste it through a fucking awful dry ass paper straw.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I use metal straws at home or with takeout. Regardless I don’t mind paper straws either.

Metal straws are the best. Just don't kill yourself with one by tripping and having it penetrate your brain through your eye socket. https://www.livescience.com/65925-me...raw-death.html

Seriously though I love metal straws.

Just... don't use straws? Humanity got along just fine for thousands of years without straws, the benefit they give is pure gluttonous consumerism. Honestly, do whatever you want... but if you have that big of an issue with straws, just drink without one and stop complaining.
    “Care about what other people think and you will always be their prisoner.”
    ― Lao Tzu

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What about bamboo straws? Why are they not considered as option? They were using them at some places in Philippiness instead of banned plastic ones, and they offer much better drinking experience compared to paper straws, they are reusable and biodegradable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakki View Post
    What about bamboo straws? Why are they not considered as option? They were using them at some places in Philippiness instead of banned plastic ones, and they offer much better drinking experience compared to paper straws, they are reusable and biodegradable.
    Some people are allergic.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with Crowder at times and sometimes I do not. This is one of those times I do not. We need to convert to paper or environment friendly items over plastics wherever it is reasonably possible. I would not worry about them being recyclable. If they will naturally decompose over a year or less, then it is a good item to use.

As far as his point about taking more electricity to produce paper straws than paper ones, it brings up another good reason to use more nuclear power plants.

So I am all for switching to paper based items we use everyday over still using plastic. I am old enough to remember when things like bags and straws where paper and it was not a issue.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I agree with Crowder at times and sometimes I do not. This is one of those times I do not. We need to convert to paper or environment friendly items over plastics wherever it is reasonably possible. I would not worry about them being recyclable. If they will naturally decompose over a year or less, then it is a good item to use.

As far as his point about taking more electricity to produce paper straws than paper ones, it brings up another good reason to use more nuclear power plants.

So I am all for switching to paper based items we use everyday over still using plastic. I am old enough to remember when things like bags and straws where paper and it was not a issue.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49234054

Cool but McDonalds paper straws cannot be recycled because they are too thick, so anytime someone leaves a Mcdonalds with a paper straw those straws will not get recycled. sounds great right?!

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post

Cool but McDonalds paper straws cannot be recycled because they are too thick, so anytime someone leaves a Mcdonalds with a paper straw those straws will not get recycled. sounds great right?!
    Like I said, if it is truly made of paper, they will naturally decompose on their own. That is how they us to do back when there was no plastic straws. If they will not, then they are not making them correctly and I really question them being only paper ones.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

I think arguing about plastic straws vs paper straws is a great way to keep the rabble preoccupied what the fossil fuel industry continues to pollute the planet.

Metal straws for sure. paper straw sucks

Now would be a great time for edible plastics to swoop in.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post

Paper decomposes in the nature, the plastic doesnt (not even biodegradeable or ''compostable'' plastic straws).
    The plastic straw straws in most cases are not recycled either, due to lack of sorting bins, but also to the lack of adequately equipped recycling plants.
    For the most part, both will end in a waste-to-energy plant, and at that point the paper straws are better as a whole, as they decompose IF they end up outside of the WTE plant.

Most recycling plants can't recycle soft plastics either way, even in the nordic countries, which for the most part has the most advanced plants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Some people are allergic.
    Some are also allergic to the plastics used in straws.
    But is it enough to warrant not using them (bamboo)?
    Last edited by freezion; 2019-08-16 at 09:10 AM.