Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Political Projectionism: Just Gaslighting and Abuse

It's something that has become unbearably obvious over the past three years. That conservative politics in America consist of almost pure projection.
    But this tweet from fanatical Trump supporter and right wing screech machine superstar Mark Levin must be approaching some theoretical limit:

Mark R. Levin
    Elizabeth Warren is a hate-peddling pathological liar who shouldn’t be within 10 miles of the Oval Office
    Which is pretty much the same language that some never Trumpers lobbed at Trump, until the just gave up and just decided to lob at Democrats again. The essence of Republicanism is authoritarian supremacism. Judging or evaluating authority figures on any empirical or merit basis is ideologically forbidden. When they speak, you blindly believe and obey to prove your loyalty.

It's the ultimate identity politics -- you believe Trump because he is Trump. Dems are accused of evil acts not based on any factual information, but just because they are Dems. It gives moral cowards an excuse not to think.

A colleague pointed out that this is classic abuser behavior, aka DARVO — Deny, Attack, Reverse-Victim-and-Offender.

It is also noticeable how this occurs in the relationship between Trumperism and various social entities, including the mainstream media, online media, social media. It all fits into a DV frame. They're so afraid to make to make their abusive husband angry. So they cave-in and excuse away his behavior in the name of "civility"
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Which is pretty much the same language that some never Trumpers lobbed at Trump, until the just gave up and just decided to lob at Democrats again. The essence of Republicanism is authoritarian supremacism. Judging or evaluating authority figures on any empirical or merit basis is ideologically forbidden. When they speak, you blindly believe and obey to prove your loyalty.
    Could you point out Trump's merits yourself though?

Genuinely, not "I guess Republicans love this awful thing" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    He's uhhh...thusfar good at getting away with a lot of disgustingly immortal and illegal shit?

That's about all I've got.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do love all the lines that conservatives lobbed at SJWs about virtue signaling, when the conservative propaganda machine is the ultimate force of virtue signaling in the world.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account

Genuinely, not "I guess Republicans love this awful thing" ?
    They do love him, Trump has higher approval among Republicans than Reagan.

Thanks for proving my theory in the OP correct. Also, it looks like you're not familiar with the usage of "Genuinely".

Your post is the complete opposite.

They do love him, Trump has higher approval among Republicans than Reagan.
    Well, i guess he is better actor then Reagan then? At least as far as modern political theater is concerned.

Thanks for proving my theory in the OP correct. Also, it looks like you're not familiar with the usage of "Genuinely".
    Your post is the complete opposite.
    My theory is that Americans on both sides are fairly equal at "accusing of evil acts not based on any factual information" (like, you know, the whole Russiagate saga) and being "moral cowards with excuse not to think". Like you right now.

Americans live in same country, consume largely same media, and repeat plenty of common talking points. Both parties are captured by corporate interests, neither questions if current American imperial status is "worth it", they absolve themselves from all responsibility and push it to executive branch while rearranging social chairs on American Titanic deck.

I've seen this apparently becoming the next line of attack against Warren. I've been trolling Breitbart lately, although I think I just got shadowbanned again, so I'm going to have to find another VPN to make another account on. Anyway, they had some article on her talking about how rural voters shouldn't listen to Trump's line that bad things happen to them are the fault of people that don't look like them, and that's somehow evidence that she's an extremist seeking a race war. Apparently "Don't blame people different from you for problems" = "race war".

(tweet from Mark Levin) -- Elizabeth Warren is a hate-peddling pathological liar who shouldn’t be within 10 miles of the Oval Office
    The tweet seems to be a response to Warren tweeting this:

"5 years ago Michael Brown was murdered by a white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri. Michael was unarmed yet he was shot 6 times. I stand with activists and organizers who continue the fight for justice for Michael. We must confront systemic racism and police violence head on."

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1159902078103445507

There is a lot more than just Levin objecting to this tweet - the incident was self-defense of a police officer, and this was said both by the grand jury and Obama's DOJ.

I don't see much. Political rhetoric of the kind of "he / she is a pathological liar and should never hold any position" is pretty common. Is it bad? I guess. Suggest a way to fix that.

I mean these are the exact tactics of fascists and corrupt despots like Putin, not really surprising considering who these people are and whose strings they dance on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Republicans can no longer defend the actions of their president or party so they resort to projecting all the awfulness onto anyone who disagrees with them.

It's the "NO YOU!" defense and it's really fucking tiring.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Sure, although I am sure many can't. The biggest key behind Trump's success is he does have impressive drive, no sense of self-doubt, and an unending supply of audacity. The later characteristic especially is the key behind a lot of the most successful men (and women) in history, as the main thing that stops most people from achieving great things is that they never attempt them. Trump will attempt anything, no matter how crazy or likely it is to fail.

Trump is also incredibly resilient, living a live of near constant failure has not prevented him from constantly bouncing back into the spotlight at ever increasing heights of ridiculousness. He also excels at media relations, while he has never really had a good relationship with the media, he has always used them incredibly effectively to get his way on almost everything. He is one of the finest "influencers" that has ever lived, shaping the entire globes narrative around him, and repainting reality itself around his opinions of it. Apparently he is also charismatic, although this is more of an informed ability for me, because I don't really get it, the results are fairly clear. He has been able to create political excitement and a cult of personality throughout his life, including winning over a massive demographic that used to detest him, and still detests everything he actually is (Rich, Amoral, Ivy League, East Coast Gambling Tycoon).

These characteristics themselves are not bad. Especially in a world leader, these are some very useful tools. Unfortunately, Trumps mountain of moral and personal failings have twisted them into bad things, not because they are intrinsically bad, but because they allow a horrible person to remain in his current position.

So to recap, Trump's "Merits"
    1: Audacious and confident
    2: Resilient
    3: Expert Media Relations
    4: Charismatic (Sort of)
    5: An obviously rocking bod

Quote Originally Posted by Butter Emails View Post
    I do love all the lines that conservatives lobbed at SJWs about virtue signaling, when the conservative propaganda machine is the ultimate force of virtue signaling in the world.
    Which is why it is disgusting that Progressive Media is copying them whole cloth. Right down to it's own Tea Party.
    Unreason and anti-intellectualism abominate thought. Thinking implies disagreement; and disagreement implies nonconformity; and nonconformity implies heresy; and heresy implies disloyalty — so, obviously, thinking must be stopped. But shouting is not a substitute for thinking and reason is not the subversion but the salvation of freedom. - Adlai Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Sure, although I am sure many can't. The biggest key behind Trump's success is he does have impressive drive, no sense of self-doubt, and an unending supply of audacity. The later characteristic especially is the key behind a lot of the most successful men (and women) in history, as the main thing that stops most people from achieving great things is that they never attempt them. Trump will attempt anything, no matter how crazy or likely it is to fail.

Trump is also incredibly resilient, living a live of near constant failure has not prevented him from constantly bouncing back into the spotlight at ever increasing heights of ridiculousness. He also excels at media relations, while he has never really had a good relationship with the media, he has always used them incredibly effectively to get his way on almost everything. He is one of the finest "influencers" that has ever lived, shaping the entire globes narrative around him, and repainting reality itself around his opinions of it. Apparently he is also charismatic, although this is more of an informed ability for me, because I don't really get it, the results are fairly clear. He has been able to create political excitement and a cult of personality throughout his life, including winning over a massive demographic that used to detest him, and still detests everything he actually is (Rich, Amoral, Ivy League, East Coast Gambling Tycoon).

These characteristics themselves are not bad. Especially in a world leader, these are some very useful tools. Unfortunately, Trumps mountain of moral and personal failings have twisted them into bad things, not because they are intrinsically bad, but because they allow a horrible person to remain in his current position.

So to recap, Trump's "Merits"
    1: Audacious and confident
    2: Resilient
    3: Expert Media Relations
    4: Charismatic (Sort of)
    5: An obviously rocking bod
    This, this has been something I have actually thought upon a lot actually and came to nearly the same conclusions.

I also think what boasts him is that everything opposed against him is often oversimplified. I don't think he is inherently racist, for example. Dude embodies money, and is willing to cut costs in systems that would overtly benefit many people of different colors and regions. Namely because how the majority of white-originated countries are ultimately very well established. This makes him racist to that his actions impact those unlike him the most. So obviously those affected see it far more vividly that some bystander.

I mean...you guys caused the civil war and fought to protect slavery.

J/K I know you were fighting to protect profit margins.

Everyone starts in a tribe, it is up to you to transcend that tribe and take up some responsibility and become serious centrist adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post

Everyone starts in a tribe, it is up to you to transcend that tribe and take up some responsibility and become serious centrist adult.
    Are you one of those that still thinks the Democrats of 160 years ago, is the same Democrats of today? You need to go back to school and take American history and American Government class. They will teach you about the Civil Rights Act of 64 and 65, and the Southern Strategy, and who fought to save "states rights" to own slaves, and that was the Conservatives. Who are the conservatives today? Republicans.

The conservatives in this thread should be enough to remind you that "gaslighting" is pretty much the whole motto of the right wing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapemask View Post
    The conservatives in this thread should be enough to remind you that "gaslighting" is pretty much the whole motto of the right wing.
    It's not just restricted to the right, it's heavily abundant in the centre too. See all the people complaining about antifa when we have a white supremacy problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post

Then why is it that almost every single yahoo with Confederate flags and proud stories of their ancestors fighting for the Confederacy, all while claiming the war had nothing to do with slavery, is a Republican? Wouldn't they still be Democrats?

Or was there some kind of strategy in the south where alignments sorta flipped places around half a century ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    and ignores how the GOP had been acting upto the Flood of 1927 which helped start the move of black voters from the GOP

there is a reason they cling to Lincoln when they want to try to claim we should vote for them and none of the 17 other republican presidents since
    THAT speaks volumes are to the legacy of their party

over 150 years and 17 presidents, and the only one they can name is the one where their current base supports the cause that assassinated him
    Last edited by D Luniz; 2019-08-15 at 10:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump himself confirmed the theory, that Projectionism is peaking in his himself and his party.

Trump Mocks Protester’s ‘Serious Weight Problem’
    “Got a bigger problem than I do. Got a bigger problem than all of us,” Trump yelled.

Solutions to the coming recessions? Climate Change? The Opioid Crisis?

The Working Class will just have to sup on projection.