Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nodq View Post
    It doesn't matter what game it was, it could have been "Dragon Slayers MMO 5.8". If they have a good system for realm balance, then they have it. And Blizzard has not, that is just stating the facts. What is so hard to comprehent about that?
    I don't agree with yours or AIONS solution but you are right.... every single game that has ever been made, including superman 64, have some lesson to teach gamers and developers.

I may not agree with AION's solution, but i appreciate you bringing it to the discussion at least. And we can agree to disagree

i just can't imagine telling my friends "Come back in a few days to maybe make a character here".

It doesn't matter what game it was, it could have been "Dragon Slayers MMO 5.8". If they have a good system for realm balance, then they have it. And Blizzard has not, that is just stating the facts. What is so hard to comprehent about that?
    Although this is right, but in this particular case, its about creating a server architecture that comes as close as possible to the one used in 2006, while also managing some of its problems. I think if blizzard would create WoW2 today with all their experience they could come up with something better than anyone else uses.

Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    If my friend who hasn't ever played wow, logged in and i had to tell him "try to make a toon next week, blizz said no this week" blizz would be out of several subs.

That is absolute lunacy, and AION probably lost hundreds of players over that stupid forcefeeding decision.

Blizz can't solve this by locking people out of X realm.
    If someone really wants to play a game with a friend. And he has to wait from Monday to Wednesday to make a toon. And he is not capable of waiting that "long" then sorry, the game wouldn't have been something for this particular person to find interesting in the first place and/or is not really interested in playing with you in general. We never had to wait 1 week btw. none said that. You are making things up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I assume because no amount of extra server capacity and hardware can fix a certain number of players in the same location causing lag and the bigger you make the overall server capacity the more you run into problems of local concentrations.
    Hmm, yes that makes sense, especially since the Classic servers won't be utilizing all the tools that Retail has.
    I am so gonna be watching streams of what it'll be like in questing zones on the full pop servers on day one.

If someone really wants to play a game with a friend. And he has to wait from Monday to Wednesday to make a toon. And he is not capable of waiting that "long" then sorry, the game wouldn't have been something for this particular person to find interesting in the first place and/or is not really interested in playing with you in general. We never had to wait 1 week btw. none said that. You are making things up now.
    It's more about the principle of the matter tbh.

If he is told he has to wait to play because blizz arbitrarily decided his server for them, they'd just unsub.

I guarantee AION lost more players over that decision than they gained.

it is a lose/lose proposition, both for gamers and for blizzard and would only be done by a desperate dev team with a lack of imagination, IMHO

They themselves in that post say they COULD raise the limit and have the technical capabilities to do so, but they choose not to in hopes the population will even out organically. So they have the power to increase the server capacity with the push of a button, but have chosen another path
    Read the rest of that sentence. It would cause problems when Layering is turned off (aka everyone in location X would be in the same location X) aka local congestion issues, just like I said.

Adding more hardware can let you have 10.000 people in Kalimdor, but it doesn't help when your having 600 people in your direct line of sight and draw distance.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Hmm, yes that makes sense, especially since the Classic servers won't be utilizing all the tools that Retail has.
    I am so gonna be watching streams of what it'll be like in questing zones on the full pop servers on day one.
    Pray for those who roll Undead and human and those starter zones lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Read the rest of that sentence. It would cause problems when Layering is turned off (aka everyone in location X would be in the same location X) aka local congestion issues, just like I said.

Adding more hardware can let you have 10.000 people in Kalimdor, but it doesn't help when your having 600 people in your direct line of sight and draw distance.
    True, but i don't think limiting new players or banning players from a server is the answer either.

And like i told the kindly Queen of Hamsters, blizz wants us to migrate to Stalagg or the other server... but didn't increase the character creation limit, so we'd have to give up and delete our reserved names for a mere chance at that name on the lower populated server.

Why risk that?

The problem is, very few people will switch realms now due to the name reservation. For this to work, they needed to increase the name reservation cap or make Gehennas/Stalagg realms have a temporary free access or something. Missed opportunity and the problem remains the same.

I admit he may have got under my skin, but he literally ignored several good arguments of mine and went to 12 year old insults which i eventually (after the third time) responded in a condescending manner.

Go re-read it, he was being an absolute troll lobbing insults.

That said, i apologize if we got off on the wrong foot wiltrold <3.
    All is good my dude. We both got carried away it seems <3

I have to say though, if the population is as big as Blizzard claims, then there should probably not be any risks by moving to the other realms. The problem would be solved if enough players took the chance and moved and you would likely end up with two or more healthy realms.

I don't agree with yours or AIONS solution but you are right.... every single game that has ever been made, including superman 64, have some lesson to teach gamers and developers.

I may not agree with AION's solution, but i appreciate you bringing it to the discussion at least. And we can agree to disagree

i just can't imagine telling my friends "Come back in a few days to maybe make a character here".
    Of course it wouldn't be liked by everyone. YOu can not make everyone happy. Never works. Never had. The only thing everbody agrees on is that Blizzard still didn't change anything to that problem since 15 years. And I think that is very bad and actually sad. Not even an attempt to fix the problems. They rather beg players to change realms in blue post...

Quote Originally Posted by HordeFanboy View Post
    Blizzard is so dumb. They should just add more (30-40) servers and solve the problem.
    What exactly is this going to solve? They added one server... people still refuse to leave Herod. What's 30-40, or even 100 more servers going to solve if people refuse to leave the realm they reserved their names on?

Of course it wouldn't be liked by everyone. YOu can not make everyone happy. Never works. Never had. The only thing everbody agrees on is that Blizzard still didn't change anything to that problem since 15 years. And I think that is very bad and actually sad. Not even an attempt to fix the problems. They rather beg players to change realms in blue post...
    True, and we can agree to disagree my friend.

What we can agree on is, like you said, that this has been handled poorly in almost every regard... from not having quite enough realms listed to begin with, to limiting character creation (thus discouraging people from stalagg since who's gonna delete from herod to do so?), begging the players, etc...

it is almost like they didn't have faith in classic to be big and are blindsided by the demand

LMAO Blizz, YOU let players reserve names there, surely someone at Blizzard had thought of restricting the count of Reserved names or at least keeping tabs on the number of saves per realm ? Guess not. NOT a player problem.

Blizz fk'd up big time, it's like selling 1000 tickets to ride a 30 man bus, All they thought about was the poss money coming in and not were the hell there customers would go, and these are the people running the game these days, no wonder things are such a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltrold View Post
    All is good my dude. We both got carried away it seems <3

I have to say though, if the population is as big as Blizzard claims, then there should probably not be any risks by moving to the other realms. The problem would be solved if enough players took the chance and moved and you would likely end up with two or more healthy realms.
    The problem for me, and i imagine others; is that blizz begged us to abandon herod but didn't raise the character creation limit... so to move, i'd have to literally delete my reserved good names to take a wild gamble that those names MAY be available on stalagg or the other realms (they won't be)

So i'm now stuck between a rock and a hard place of staying on herod and living with queues (my real only choice) or risking it all on a chance, for a realm that will definitely be lower population than herod down the road.

It just isn't worth it, but if blizz let people make MORE characters and i could try reserving names without /deleting my others, well, maybe i'd have considered it.

Pray for those who roll Undead and human and those starter zones lol

- - - Updated - - -

True, but i don't think limiting new players or banning players from a server is the answer either.

And like i told the kindly Queen of Hamsters, blizz wants us to migrate to Stalagg or the other server... but didn't increase the character creation limit, so we'd have to give up and delete our reserved names for a mere chance at that name on the lower populated server.

Why risk that?
    I completely agree with you, I probably wouldn't switch server either.
    If they could add space to reserve names on the new servers specifically that would be nice but it also runs into why there is a limit in the first place.

With a limit its much more reliable to draw data from those numbers since less people will simply reserve their names on every server. Now Blizzard can see who plans to play where (to a certain degree). And with an extended limit there is no real way to see how many people actually plan to switch to the new server instead of the completely full ones.

Quote Originally Posted by csguba View Post
    The problem is, very few people will switch realms now due to the name reservation. For this to work, they needed to increase the name reservation cap or make Gehennas/Stalagg realms have a temporary free access or something. Missed opportunity and the problem remains the same.
    They announced the new servers beforehand. People could reserve their names on them just as well. There is simply no problem that blizzard is capable of fixing. If people are so extremly stubborn and stupid, how could they handle them? The server for the 2006 classic experience is full. Thats a fact. They cant just magically make it not full. Its all in the hands of the people - they move and make it for themselves work or they dont.

Again if you use the metapher of the bus. If 100 people are waiting for the bus and there can only go 25 in - how should the bus driver fix it to make every 100 go in? They could send a bigger bus beforehand but that would not be the classic bus everyone wanted. So you can just hope that the people go for another bus.

True, and we can agree to disagree my friend.

What we can agree on is, like you said, that this has been handled poorly in almost every regard... from not having quite enough realms listed to begin with, to limiting character creation (thus discouraging people from stalagg since who's gonna delete from herod to do so?), begging the players, etc...

it is almost like they didn't have faith in classic to be big and are blindsided by the demand
    I explained all this to you already I feel.

Limited servers is because of fear of player retention.
    Limited character creation because without it everyone registers everywhere and no useful data is gained.
    They are begging players to move because people are stubborn and even after informing them thousands of people will QQ about the queues on those realms despite being warned because no one ends up moving.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    It starts to feel like that name reservation and revealing the realms so early before launch was a mistake. Maybe not the realms but name reservation.
    If they did all this sooner there wouldn't be a lot of time for Blizzard to react and no time for guilds/friends to react to Blizzard reacting.

Now you have time to talk to your friends about maybe starting on the new server instead.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dipzz View Post
    "Though Blizzard stopped providing subscriber numbers for World of Warcraft back in 2015, a new report has stated that the subscriber base currently stands at 1.7 million"
    new report eh? guess I will have to take your word on it being factual, cause you haven't linked shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    at first i was happy with the word 'overcrowded' then,, 10k ?
    server can hold only 10k !? that low!? and no one even talking about it ?
    does that mean that retail wow has less than a million player, since server most capacity is just 10k, and there are like only 5 full servers total rest are desert ? (less than a million, heck at that rate entire wow playerbase is a miserable joke of 100k in eu)

does my post answer u ? if full servers can hold max 10k, and seriously other servers are just desert and probably all of them combined don't even have 10k, make the math, or just throw a random guess based on the confirmed number of only a miserable sh8tty number of just 10k MAX at server
    where are you getting the 10k number from? the login queue? that doesn't indicate that the max cap of a server is 10k, that is talking about the login queue. two completely seperate things

ITT: people not reading the part the says a medium realm today is even more full than the fullest server back in Vanilla.

Just switch realms. It won't be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by sam86 View Post
    Ghostlands was amazing in wrath but i bet so was entire wow back then when we had 12 million sub with zero from china which had 5 million during TBC (because china banned wrath, u can even check how wrath zones look in china, heck death knight is renamed unhappy knight in china)
    You're mistaken, the reason why there's no sub dip in WotLK was because it's released in China around the end of its era in other regions. While people were leaving in other regions because of the content drought millions of people were finally able to play WotLK in China. I played on Chinese realms back then, it's a very short-lived xpack as well, it's replaced w/ Cata fairly soon after.

And don't forget how they counted Chinese subs, it wasn't a one month sub there, we could pay hourly, but even paying for 1hr would make you count as a legit sub, people were always complaining about how Blizz counted subs, but, unfortunately, we'll never know how many real subs there's in 2009 >_>