Poll: Do you want tinkers as new class in WoW?

Page 55 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    You can make everything a class, really. It's much more difficult with Tinkers, though, for two reasons mostly: Hunters and Engineers.

The vast majority of 'Tinker' class abilities are already in use. It's not like with the Demon Hunter who cannibalized the Meta from the Warlock for one ability. As Teriz has pointed out, 'Robo Goblin' ( a Mech-Suit tank/DD) is the only distinctive thing engineers cannot do. Everything else, from turrets, to mines, to healing tools, is already in the game. Not up to date, but still there.

Hunters already use explosive shots, missiles, bombs and traps of varying shape and form.

Engineers can build turrets, rifles, explosives, explosive robots, mech-suits, tinkers, components and so on. A decent chunk of what Tinkers do, lorewise, is engineering. Very few things Tinkers do is exclusive to Gnomes and Goblins, who seem to have cornered the term Tinker. The Lightforged have a combat mechsuit aswell. You can buy it from them. Some would go as far to say their tech is even superior to Gnomes and Goblins. Same for Draenai.

So, if we started planning a Tinker class, what abilities would they use? Not down to specific names. You'd probably use ranged weapons and, for lack of a better term, gizmos of varying degree - mines, turrets, rockets, bombs. But shooting stuff with rockets and guns and luring them into traps, or mines, is basically what a hunter already does.

You'd cannibalize or duplicate a lot of abilities from hunters and engineers.
    When you think about it any new class will take a lot from other classes. So really it comes down to what re-skinned abilities do you want your new class to have.

You want a void class that will take from shadow priest. Some others want the necro that would take from DKs and warlocks.

So would the tinker take from hunters and engineers, yes. Hell they could take from shamans too with some kind of zapp gun that would just be lightning bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    When you think about it any new class will take a lot from other classes. So really it comes down to what re-skinned abilities do you want your new class to have.

You want a void class that will take from shadow priest. Some others want the necro that would take from DKs and warlocks.

So would the tinker take from hunters and engineers, yes. Hell they could take from shamans too with some kind of zapp gun that would just be lightning bolt.
    Now you're talking gamplay mechanics, as in hidden stats, vs overlying themes. Monks, Demon Hunters and Death Knights have all unique abilities from a visual and lore point of view. But a hunter and a tinker both shoot their enemies with guns or crossbows, missiles, bombs, mines, explosives and so on.

A void-based class wouldn't have to be a caster, so it wouldn't have to take from shadow priests. There's a lot more room to explore there.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Yes you do, otherwise it is not a playable class.
    And there is very little support to the notion that a Tinker is anything resembling what we usually refer to as a 'class'. Opposed to it stands the fact that there are multiple classes who are tinkers in addition to whatever ingame class they are.

7+ Year Old Account
    Now you're talking gamplay mechanics, as in hidden stats, vs overlying themes. Monks, Demon Hunters and Death Knights have all unique abilities from a visual and lore point of view. But a hunter and a tinker both shoot their enemies with guns or crossbows, missiles, bombs, mines, explosives and so on.

A void-based class wouldn't have to be a caster, so it wouldn't have to take from shadow priests. There's a lot more room to explore there.
    Ya it doesn't have to be but im guessing it would seeing as every new class has been melee. Even if it's not it would still use shadows and tentacles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Ya it doesn't have to be but im guessing it would seeing as every new class has been melee. Even if it's not it would still use shadows and tentacles.
    I'd agree that more melees would be... pointless. It doesn't have to be a caster, though.

And there is very little support to the notion that a Tinker is anything resembling what we usually refer to as a 'class'. Opposed to it stands the fact that there are multiple classes who are tinkers in addition to whatever ingame class they are.
    What? You have mekatorque in raid as raid boss. AI NPCs in island expedition. So yeah you do have tinkers in game already with their skills and prototypes.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, a magician is someone who performs tricks with cards, ropes and cute girls in boxes. A Mage, in Warcraft, is someone who draws power from the Arcane.
    An Engineer is just a low entry level to a Tinker, a man who crafts toys, basic explosives, weapons and tools for the common folk, in many chances, unable to fully utilize his or her creations to the fullest. A Tinker, in Warcraft, is someone who draws from their mind, ability and skill to craft or construct, bring to war the creations of science against a foe.

- - - Updated - - -

What? You have mekatorque in raid as raid boss. AI NPCs in island expedition. So yeah you do have tinkers in game already with their skills and prototypes.
    ... Siegecrafter Blackfuse as well - but Skulltaker doesn't like him as an example.

Multiple Tinker minion or bosses through dungeons too.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Mekkatorque may hold the office of High Tinker, but that doesn't make him a Tinker by class. Since he uses Thunderclap, I'd say he's a Warrior who relies on his inventions a lot, wouldn't you? The Island Expedition Goblins are Engineers, at least their leader is. Gazlowe previously held the title of High Engineer. And seeing how they use engineering devices...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    An Engineer is just a low entry level to a Tinker, a man who crafts toys, basic explosives, weapons and tools for the common folk, in many chances, unable to fully utilize his or her creations to the fullest. A Tinker, in Warcraft, is someone who draws from their mind, ability and skill to craft or construct, bring to war the creations of science against a foe.

- - - Updated - - -

... Siegecrafter Blackfuse as well - but Skulltaker doesn't like him as an example.

Multiple Tinker minion or bosses through dungeons too.
    Could you please provide a source on your interpretaion of Engineer in Warcraft? Seeing how Gazlowe is an Engineer and us regularily cited as one of the most knowledgable in that field...

And again, Blackfuse holds what title? And he is referred to as a Tinker, aside from your headcanon, when? He is called an engineer, though. In game.

You know, if you weren't constantly making stuff up, maybe people would take you more seriously =)
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-08-17 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    I really hope when tinkers get added that they dont make them strictly goblin/gnome flavored class like they did with monks. that was a huge mistake in my opinion, id much rather them be like shamans who have unique totems and personal racial flavor. it could be a great way to showcase other races tech, and my dream tinker is an undead frankenstein character with an apothecary spec.
    Tinker is most likely going to be goblin and gnome with a small chance for humans and orcs. I can’t see any other race being a tinker.

I'd honestly rather they not make anymore classes.
    Simply add specializations to the existing classes. DH needs a 3rd spec, and others could use a 4th (a la druids).
    Tinker could easily be a hunter spec, necromancer could be a warlock spec, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Tinker is most likely going to be goblin and gnome with a small chance for humans and orcs. I can’t see any other race being a tinker.
    Draenai, the by far most advanced race in the game, come to mind. Forsaken are also way more advanced than orcs. Dwarves have learned a lot from Gnomes aswell.

Fuck tinkers. The new class had better be something more interesting

- While it is fun to speculate what will be the next class, i think we all need to be realistic here and just flat out say that tinker won't be the next class. Don't see how the tinker class can contribute to fighting the void or death. The class will something expansion related similar to wrath = DK and legion = DH, wait for it... The Black Empire = DS (lol)

- Now if it is, i want someone to refer me back to this link so i can let my pride go down lol. Hell there might not be a new class. Following what's happening in the lore and all, we have the many hints about the Black Empire on the rise,

-All the dragon aspects losing their powers with some dead or will be corrupted (Norzodomu), Wrathion starting to come out of nowhere with a new model (Where tf was he during legion ffs, dragon isle. All of these most likely points to the fact that we need azeroth races to have dragon aspect powers to keep the world in check from old gods and fixing the world.

-There's also another possibility that necromancer could show up due to the fact that the void are enemies of the dead. You got Slyvanas on a unknown objective with her pretty boy champion, Bolvar (New lich king), Arthas's little sister, uther, arthas himself in the shadowlands, vol'jin, bwonsmidi.

- Blizzard is setting up multiple plot avenues to choose from to direct the game to go in their eyes. But to keep it on the real, i really want a class related to the Dragon aspects and not necromancers because at that point, just make more death knights.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are Mage Tinkers, Rogue Tinkers, Warrior Tinkers, Warlock Tinkers.
    *cough* Due to lack of designation of an existing class type. Gazlowe (WoWpedia now puts his class as, Engineer, so they have updated theirs) and Mekkatorque (Announced as a Tinker, yet is a still classified as a Warrior) says hello there too, even Blackfuse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Goblin
    Gnome
    Human
    Forsaken
    Dwarf
    Orc

Those six are the highly likely ones (without counting allied races)...

Draenei
    Blood Elf

Those two are artificers, another name for Tinker, different theme of Tech, not as likely I believe.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    And a warrior is character who is a brave and experienced soldier or fighter, which applies to multiple specs and classes.

But by all means, continue your double standards.
    There are no double-standards.

You're conflating the generic word "warrior" with the playable class "warrior".

The playable class "warrior" is a melee fighter who relies solely on his own strength and weapons to fight.

Whereas the engineer concept is specific, and differs in nothing from the concept of a tech class if it focuses solely on technology.

*cough* Due to lack of designation of an existing class type. Gazlowe (WoWpedia now puts his class as, Engineer, so they have updated theirs) and Mekkatorque (Announced as a Tinker, yet is a still classified as a Warrior) says hello there too, even Blackfuse.
    No, they are Rogues, Mages and Warlocks with Engineering. Look them up. Bixy Blue, Burnfizzle, Art Seacloak. Also, I'd love to see the missing designation of class that leads to an overlap of Rogue and Mage.

Could you please provide a source on your interpretaion of Engineer in Warcraft?
    I'll save you time and answer this for you since he has answered that question in the past: "an engineer crafts guns and gadgets to sell in the auction house."

Goblin
    Gnome
    Human
    Forsaken
    Dwarf
    Orc

Those six are the highly likely ones (without counting allied races)...

Draenei
    Blood Elf

Those two are artificers, another name for Tinker, different theme of Tech, not as likely I believe.
    Factually wrong. Artificers are a form of Engineer, just like Tinkers. They refer to themselves as part warrior, part engineer, in game. So, a Draenai Warrior who learned engineering.

Want a Quote on that?

"Commander!

I am Apprentice Artificer Andren. Before Hataaru was murdered I was one of his most trusted assistants. As an Artificer I use draenei technology to disable foes long enough for me or someone else to crush them. I suppose among your people I'd be considered a ... warrior engineer?

I will do my best to serve your interests if you choose me as a follower."

Apprentice Artificer Andren.

And I'm still waiting for you to provide a source on Blackfuse being a Tinker. The game names him an engineer.

Unless, of course, you're willing to admit that Tinkers and Engineers are the same thing. Engineers.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-08-17 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHR View Post
    I can think of roughly seven hundred classes I'd rather like to see than a glorified profession
    And zero of them would be seen as something new. You think that blizzard would shot themselves in foot thru the knee and introduce something as playable class that exists in a game and is rehash of everything we already had?

The only truly unique class would be tinker.

And zero of them would be seen as something new.
    Seeing how Tinkers have nothing new, shall we list them as 701?

Seeing how Tinkers have nothing new, shall we list them as 701?
    Well, practially everything they have would be something new. We never had have tech-based class, ever.