Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    For the same reasons people vouched for Necromancers, Tinkers, Spellbreakers, Monks, Demon Hunters, and Death Knights.

Some of these classes have been implemented and not in the way people ever expected. I'm not sure where you got the idea that Dark Rangers could only happen through those two methods, but the classes are all possible. It's just a matter of how/when. Blizzard has shown they are willing to rework an existing class to establish a new one. They are also willing to surprise us with the introduction.

If we get a new class, I expect it to be cosmic themed to some capacity due to the story direction.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    How did DH's not make sense in the demon expansion?
    He can't think of an answer because it made absolute sense. Also, people had been clamoring for a DH class since Illidan in BC.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

IMHO, when they're reworking surv hunters they should've just replaced that spec w/ the dark ranger spec.

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    IMHO, when they're reworking surv hunters they should've just replaced that spec w/ the dark ranger spec.
    Tauran Dark Ranger reporting for duty! Or hell Lightforged Draenei Dark Ranger! Or what about a Gnome Dark Ranger? A lot of races capable of being hunters wouldn't fit the Dark Ranger archetype imo.
    Whether you think you can or can't - You're right!

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. People making heart eyes at Sylvanas.

2. "But muh dark arrow."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    The spec that should have been nuked to make room for a melee hunter was Beast Mastery.

You know, the spec named for Beastmasters.

The spec named for this guy?

FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    You think people wanting Dark Ranger want the same gameplay mechanic as a hunter?
    Are people this daft when it comes to class requests? It's quite obvious that it comes with new mechanics and gameplay.

It's like saying people should just pick up engineering if they want tinkers.
    Just doesn't seem practical when the 12 base classes are already in relatively poor condition to add another class that's already extremely close mechanically to an existing spec - Marksman. Tinkers are a totally different thing because nothing class wise exists similar to the tinker.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Just doesn't seem practical when the 12 base classes are already in relatively poor condition to add another class that's already extremely close mechanically to an existing spec - Marksman. Tinkers are a totally different thing because nothing class wise exists similar to the tinker.
    They would be equally similar to other classes just like any other new class. They will have filler abilities, downtime abilities, they will have pets, temporary or permanent depending on how they are doing. They will have a different form, like meta or druids. etc etc.
    They will surely look different, but that's not gameplay and mechanics. I'm sure you will now argue that they will come fresh unique take on these things, which I agree on that they should. But the same can be said for any class.

You can't say that X class works mechanically similar to Y class when it haven't even been designed yet. You can create it as mechanically different as you want.
    That argument is as valid as me saying Tinker would work exactly like the stuff we can create from engineering... that would be disingenuous, just like what you just did.

Better class than a TiNkEr

Imagine getting mad about what other people wants...
    imagine I could find so many examples where it's good and important to get mad about what other people want xD

Agree to a high degree

How is Dark Rangers too similar to Marksman Hunters? They both use bows? Maybe mail armor? Thats about the extend of it.

A Dark Ranger class could EASILY be implemented in a way that makes them very different from Hunters, Warlocks, Rogues and Death Knights, it just takes a bit of creativity

However, the argument about the condition of the 12 base classes is imo not an argument. The same could be said before the introduction of Demon Hunters, Monks and Death Knights. Class balance has never stopped blizzard from adding a new class to the game, and I don't think that it will next time.

You can read my in-depth Void Ranger / Dark Ranger class concept from 2019 (With pictures) here.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmmppff View Post
    imagine I could find so many examples where it's good and important to get mad about what other people want xD
    Any example that's in line with wishing a class to be implemented in a game?

Quote Originally Posted by IAMANIKOLAS View Post
    How is Dark Rangers too similar to Marksman Hunters? They both use bows? Maybe mail armor? Thats about the extend of it.

A Dark Ranger class could EASILY be implemented in a way that makes them very different from Hunters, Warlocks, Rogues and Death Knights, it just takes a bit of creativity

However, the argument about the condition of the 12 base classes is imo not an argument. The same could be said before the introduction of Demon Hunters, Monks and Death Knights. Class balance has never stopped blizzard from adding a new class to the game, and I don't think that it will next time.
    They would be equally similar to other classes just like any other new class. They will have filler abilities, downtime abilities, they will have pets, temporary or permanent depending on how they are doing. They will have a different form, like meta or druids. etc etc.
    They will surely look different, but that's not gameplay and mechanics. I'm sure you will now argue that they will come fresh unique take on these things, which I agree on that they should. But the same can be said for any class.

You can't say that X class works mechanically similar to Y class when it haven't even been designed yet. You can create it as mechanically different as you want.
    That argument is as valid as me saying Tinker would work exactly like the stuff we can create from engineering... that would be disingenuous, just like what you just did.
    The point is Marksman is bad and boring. If a Dark Ranger was added then it would be basically a dead spec. It makes way more sense to redesign Marksman into a general Ranger, and make it more interesting, then add potential flavors like Dark Ranger, Forest Ranger, etc.

This isn't a right or wrong conversation, I'm just saying this is what I think they should / will do. I actually want to play as a Dark Ranger personally, but if I was designing WoW, I'd focus on redesigning all 12 existing classes to be better, and while I'm redesigning Marksman, make it more like a Ranger spec and add potential choices for the type of ranger you want to be. If I were to add any fresh class to the roster, the main design space that's wide open is Tinker.

If they add Dark Ranger to the game, I just don't know how a Marksman Hunter would want to play their spec anymore. To me that's the challenge.

And btw this is coming from someone who wrote this : https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ld-of-Warcraft

Why Dark Ranger will be the next class added to World of Warcraft
    • Of all the directions they could take Alleria's story, they decide to make her involved with The Void. And then she joins the Alliance. It's almost like they want to add Dark Ranger, but had no representative leader on the Alliance side... so they shoe-horned that in.
    • The Windrunner sisters are meeting amongst themselves regardless of faction allegiance. This can allow Blizzard to create a single starting area for both faction Dark Rangers, sanctuary-style, where both Alleria and Sylvanas train their Dark Ranger apprentices. This would be similar to the other hero class starting experiences.
    • Dark Ranger teased in Hunter order hall with the hidden quest.
    • Dark Ranger teased in Seething Shore by Nathanos.
    • We only have 2 mail classes right now.
    • We only have 1 class that uses Bows, Guns and Crossbows.
    • Dark Ranger is arguably the most requested remaining hero class from WC3 after Demon Hunter - which was a huge success.
    • Blizzard originally looked like they were going to add Dark Ranger style abilities to Marksmanship Hunter: 'Dark Ranger', 'Exotic Munitions' and other magical arrows for example - but were later removed. They also temporarily removed Arcane Shot on the BFA beta because I think they are intending to anyway because the Dark Ranger is currently in the works right now. I predict they will remove it in the next expansion after BFA when Dark Rangers are added, similar to how Demonology Warlocks were changed to give clear thematic room for the Demon Hunter (Meta).
    • I believe the interactions we'll have with Vol'jin (and I don't know anything about BFA content story wise yet) - to allow for a more troll-like Shadow Hunter themed spec. The other two will likely be themed around Sylvanas and Alleria. Possibly even a Warden, Shadow of Vengeance melee spec.
    • The lore events in Stormheim appear to be building up to a new round of Dark Rangers - possibly explaining how the other races could be inducted into the ranks.
    • The next expansion appears to very likely be Shadow or Old God themed, and we're getting hints the LK may return. If Legion was BC 2.0, the next expansion after BFA might be Wrath 2.0.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2019-08-17 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Same reason they want/think Tinkers, Necromancers or anything: It was a WarCraft 3 'Class' and they think it's kewl.
    If people want something, they want it.

If enough people want it, they'll get it.

Non-debatable, look at WoW Classic.

The point is Marksman is bad and boring. If a Dark Ranger was added then it would be basically a dead spec.
    Why? Dark Ranger isn't Marksman Hunter. Why would blizzard design a new class/spec to be exactly like a spec that already exist? That makes no sense.
    Which means that Dark Ranger would be implemented which plays DIFFERENTLY to hunters current specs.
    It makes way more sense to redesign Marksman into a general Ranger, and make it more interesting, then add potential flavors like Dark Ranger, Forest Ranger, etc.
    Redesign as in making it play differently? Seems like we agree that it's possible to implement a new class that plays differently to how hunter currently plays then.

This isn't a right or wrong conversation, I'm just saying this is what I think they should / will do. I actually want to play as a Dark Ranger personally, but if I was designing WoW, I'd focus on redesigning all 12 existing classes to be better, and while I'm redesigning Marksman, make it more like a Ranger spec and add potential choices for the type of ranger you want to be. If I were to add any fresh class to the roster, the main design space that's wide open is Tinker.

If they add Dark Ranger to the game, I just don't know how a Marksman Hunter would want to play their spec anymore. To me that's the challenge.
    I see it like this, We have multiple flavors for tanking, we have multiple flavors for healing, we have multiple flavors for casters and we have multiple flavors for melee, both magical and physical. We have no flavors for those who want to use a bow. It's hunter or go bust. If you like a specific weapon and fantasy around that weapon in all other aspects you can choose between several to fill that spot.

Ofc I am biased, because I love bows in any other game, I don't like hunter, I do like how dark rangers / sylvanas plays in hots and would love a variant of that to be in wow.

I agree that there isn't a right and wrong when it comes to the subjective part about which would be best and what you would prefer. However, people constantly state "they will just play like hunters" which is just false. That thinking is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsReality View Post
    If people want something, they want it.

If enough people want it, they'll get it.

Non-debatable, look at WoW Classic.
    I'd assume the majority of people would want an equal distribution of wealth in the world.I'm also sure the majority of players would have wanted a good storyline for BfA, if you'd like something more close to heart. So, no, just because a lot of people want something doesn't guarantee that you get it.

because they would still desire the fantasy of playing a ranger, rather than an undead banshee that uses all sorts of magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye of all the class ideas floating around on mmo-c, dark ranger is the most uninspiring.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Any example that's in line with wishing a class to be implemented in a game?
    While that proves a little harder, I'm sure there's ppl with very absurd wishes, racist wishes, psychotic wishes and so on. Imagine a Horror-Clown-Class, or a Nazi-Class.

The point is Marksman is bad and boring. If a Dark Ranger was added then it would be basically a dead spec. It makes way more sense to redesign Marksman into a general Ranger, and make it more interesting, then add potential flavors like Dark Ranger, Forest Ranger, etc.

And btw this is coming from someone who wrote this : https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ld-of-Warcraft

Fair point, and I agree that MM is bad and boring atm, and I cant be bothered to play it even though the Archer/Ranger archetype has always been my thing in RPGs.

I also agree that many if not all classes need a redesign (i expect this in the next expansion with the de-pruning), however I do not agree on making Dark Ranger as choice for Marksman hunters. I believe that a Dark Ranger would warrant their own class with atleast 2 different specs.

In regards to your thread, I read it once and I agree on the posibility of the class next expansion, but I don't see it as a spec for Hunters, or a glyph as some has suggested. There are simply too many races that can be hunters, that in my opinion would not fit the class. And i also believe that it is very very different from a regular hunter, no matter how they were to redesign the class. Speaking of threads, if you are interested I made a writeup for how I would bring the Dark Ranger class to Wow. You can find it in my signature
    Last edited by IAMANIKOLAS; 2019-08-17 at 07:22 PM.