Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I watched the first movie of the new series and decided not to bother any more, it's bland and uninteresting.

I rather like my sci-fi about actual science not this monstrosity of fantasy and sci-fi, watered down for young children.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    Because if midichlorians are the reason why Force-users are able to manipulate the Force then it stands to reason that you should be able to whip some up in a petri dish and dole out force powers to whoever you like, or gain Force powers through a blood transfusion.

It would have been better explained as a symbiotic organism that's attracted to Force-users and so they can be used to gauge Force potential instead of being the cause of Force potential.
    Most of your hate for midiclorians comes from your own speculations of what could be done with them. Just take them as explained in the movie. Stop thinking of what COULD be done.

I'll give you a "all experiments on midichlorians outside their own symbiotic organism have failed and, therefore, it's impossible to manipulate them" as my own self cannon to calm you down. Deal?
    /spit@Blizzard

Because if midichlorians are the reason why Force-users are able to manipulate the Force then it stands to reason that you should be able to whip some up in a petri dish and dole out force powers to whoever you like, or gain Force powers through a blood transfusion.

It would have been better explained as a symbiotic organism that's attracted to Force-users and so they can be used to gauge Force potential instead of being the cause of Force potential.
    That's not how the force works!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    It was literally just Lucas wanting to retcon *more* of the EU because he was a bit of a self-absorbed ass, and wanted only *his* mentality and view to be the only one. Which you can argue is fine due it being *his* creation, but the true point is, it *stopped* being fully his creation when he started accepting licencing paychecks to prop up his bank account.
    The guy just ran roughshod over 15 years of authors work, simply because of being a bit of a control freak.
    Frankly, it's not even really that.

Lucas, as a creator, is always fucking around with what he creates. He doesn't leave it alone. You can see this with Star Wars, not just midichlorians, but also that Luke and Leia (siblings) have a pretty passionate french kiss in Empire. You can't seriously tell me that Lucas thought they were siblings in that film. He made that change for RotJ, and it retroactively makes that scene in ESB really freaking icky. Why did he make that change? Because fuck you.

Another example, you know the film Willow? If not, go watch it; it's great. But regardless, the point is that the title character is a dude named Willow, wants to be a wizard and learn magic. Now, even if you HAVE seen the film, you might not know that Lucas wrote a trilogy of sequel novels. Shadow Dawn, Shadow Moon, Shadow Star, can't recall the order and can't be arsed to look it up. In the prologue of the first book, Willow decides that he doesn't like his name any more, renames himself Thorn Drumheller, and then the name "Willow" is never heard again. Why? Lucas decided he didn't like the name, and for anyone who was following along from the film? Fuck you.

See also Greedo shooting first. See also the ever-changing Boba Fett backstory/characterization. He doesn't leave shit be, he's constantly retconning things because he's had a new idea. It's irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    Umm...it literally is.

"Midi-chlorians were intelligent, microscopic life-forms that served as organelles within all living cells, existing in a symbiotic relationship with the beings they inhabited and comprising a collective consciousness among themselves. Present in all life, midi-chlorians were isomorphic on every planet that supported life. Midi-chlorians, in fact, were necessary for life to exist. They also allowed for a connection with the pervasive energy field known as the Force; in sufficient numbers, midi-chlorians could allow their symbiont organism to detect the Force"

If you were to clone them, and shove them into a body in sufficient numbers, then they will allow the host to detect the Force. They are an intelligent species (which alone is mind numbingly stupid...) that in sufficient quantities inside your body, allows you to hear them speaking to you.
    It is entirely plausible in the new canon Lucas has written, that this is doable, and we even know, thanks to Skywalker's very existence, that midi-chlorian manipulation has occurred.

Before you also say "Well, the midichlorians might die, so nernerner!", well...no. Infusion has already occurred in the canon

"The Sith virus known as the Sickness could alter the midi-chlorians within an infected individual. The Sith Lord Darth Drear devised it as a means of immortality, the final step of which involved eating the living heart of a Jedi, and thus obtaining an infusion of midi-chlorians from the Jedi's blood.".

Thus, we can conclude that it is entirely possible to alter your midichlorian count beyond what you are born with, so if you think cloning them and such wouldn't have been tried, well, that is just madness.

As I said, the entire concept of them is just asinine. It was a way for Lucas to retcon the "Warrior Monk" archetype pushed by the EU writers, nothing more, and he caused such a shitty idea, it was hilarious.
    I think you're giving the force/midi-cholorians too much credit.

If someone like general grevious can go around collecting Jedi lightsabers and bounty hunters are threats to jedis then its really not all that great.

Its just the story normally focuses on the rare extremely powerful force users so it seems more OP than it normally is.

Do you really think the Jedi and Sith, in their tens of thousands of years of history, hadn't tried that. If it could be done it would have been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Do you really think the Jedi and Sith, in their tens of thousands of years of history, hadn't tried that. If it could be done it would have been.
    I mean, in the old EU, it's basically exactly how Plagueis created Anakin.

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post

TLDR: When George Lucas sold the Star Wars rights he kept some percentage of the royalties for the merchandise based on the old trillogies. Disney doesn't get anything from selling Solo, Leia or Luke figurines/stuff. But anything new they create belong to them and they get the merchandise money. So they literally destroyed the old characters to lower the interest for them and boost the sells based on the new characters. For context if you think they wouldn't do that to your favorite movie for money: SW merchandise alone (excluding movie revenue etc) generates 1,5 billion dollar per year. Yeah, they would.
    Are you serious? Leia's actress is dead, Han's actor hated the role, and Mark Hamill has a billion other things to do. That leaves 1/3 who would even want to come back, and the guy's almost 70 at this point.

Besides that, that video is a completely unsubstantiated rumor with absolutely nothing to support it. Lucas got 4 bil from Disney for the studio, there's very little chance they would have left him any rights, and besides that, even if he got royalties from stuff from the original trilogy, that literally wouldn't affect Luke/Leia/Han figures from the new shit.

And if that was true, why would Disney make an ENTIRE MOVIE (Solo) that they had to pay Lucas royalties on? Literally makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I mean, in the old EU, it's basically exactly how Plagueis created Anakin.
    I'm aware of that. But after thousands and thousands of years of trying it's done. But it's strongly implied that it only worked because the Force wanted it to happen, and the Force made sure that Anakin was created far, far away outside of Plagueis' grasp.

All those centuries the Force was like, nope not happening.
    Then finally it's like Ok, I'll let it happen, but I'll make sure it bites you in the ass. And it did. Sidious did away with Plagueis in part because he now had the ideal apprentice in the making. And the Sith were ultimately brought down by it.
    Last edited by cparle87; 2019-08-17 at 11:46 PM.

makes sense.. people who are not suprised that greedy company does something just based on Money earned, raise your hand.
    *raises hand*

They must have really wanted to give old George some royalties with that Solo movie, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I rather like my sci-fi about actual science not this monstrosity of fantasy and sci-fi, watered down for young children.
    Huh? You basically just described the way the franchise has been since the very first movie in the 70s...

There's never been "actual science" in Star Wars. They tried with that midichlorian horseshit, but the movies have always been "sci-fi" only so far as it's got spaceships and aliens.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wargone View Post
    makes sense.. people who are not suprised that greedy company does something just based on Money earned, raise your hand.
    *raises hand*
    It makes zero sense if you look At what’s been happening with starwars at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I'm aware of that. But after thousands and thousands of years of trying it's done. But it's strongly implied that it only worked because the Force wanted it to happen, and the Force made sure that Anakin was created far, far away outside of Plagueis' grasp.

All those centuries the Force was like, nope not happening.
    Then finally it's like Ok, I'll let it happen, but I'll make sure it bites you in the ass. And it did. Sidious did away with Plagueis in part because he now had the ideal apprentice in the making. And the Sith were ultimately brought down by it.
    Depends on what you mean by 'brought down'.

As of Ep IX, Sidious's baby is still kicking. The Sith might be dead but his Empire is on its second act while the Jedi have been extinct gone for ~60 years. Sidious was extremely petty, so in his mind, he is still winning in some way.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Huh? You basically just described the way the franchise has been since the very first movie in the 70s...

There's never been "actual science" in Star Wars. They tried with that midichlorian horseshit, but the movies have always been "sci-fi" only so far as it's got spaceships and aliens.
    I know but before it was entertaining and i was rather young, so it didn't bother me at all. But now the story line seems to be mostly a repeat of what came to pass already making it a rather bland ending for a series.

That was the point i was making, not that star wars was ever hard sci-fi. If this is the last movie i wouldn't be sad, Star Trek is making a good revival and soon we'll have DUNE.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    It makes zero sense if you look At what’s been happening with starwars at all.
    But it does. IF i get No money From selling A luke skywalker Doll, T-shirt, And all those things. WHY would i bother putting a spotlight om him.
    it makes sense to Kill him off, or make him sacrifise himself to save[New Hero] because New hero can sell toys and games, and i get that profit..
    even with how "not great" the movies are seen and rated as, people go and watch them, Kids like the new cartoon, and toys and heroes and that is where the profit is.

You surue as fuck is not going to go out there, and by a luke skywalker offical T-shirt, lunchbox, DVD of the "luke skywalker show"(yes it made up but compared to make a new show) Buy / ask your parrens to get you the new luke skywalker game. and so on.

kids on the otherhand will. At most you will buy the DVD, watch it in the cinema, and make snarky comments about how it not as great as it could have been if they had sticked to the extended universe(which ones more, they did not make money on, why they shut it down)

Not saying it is great, but it makes sense. Companies dont give a Flying Dutch fuck about you, me or anyone, that care about the green more then snoop dog

I know but before it was entertaining and i was rather young, so it didn't bother me at all. But now the story line seems to be mostly a repeat of what came to pass already making it a rather bland ending for a series.

That was the point i was making, not that star wars was ever hard sci-fi. If this is the last movie i wouldn't be sad, Star Trek is making a good revival and soon we'll have DUNE.
    To be fair, if you feel the movies were entertaining to you when you were younger, then it should be reasonable for you to assume the films are entertaining to younger people and maybe they're just not targeted for you anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    To be fair, if you feel the movies were entertaining to you when you were younger, then it should be reasonable for you to assume the films are entertaining to younger people and maybe they're just not targeted for you anymore.
    To further clarify, i still find the old ones enjoyable. Just as i do with many movies from that era despite their flaws. The new ones however don't, this could be due to disney taking over, but they still have enjoyable movies for all ages and are generally dual layered.

At first i was curious to see how the story would end, but the first movie felt like a rehash of a storyline they used before what made the movie predictable, far too predictable. Gave it another shot at rogue one, which was a bit better but the draw to those movies seem to be for a large part gone.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wargone View Post
    But it does. IF i get No money From selling A luke skywalker Doll, T-shirt, And all those things. WHY would i bother putting a spotlight om him.
    it makes sense to Kill him off, or make him sacrifise himself to save[New Hero] because New hero can sell toys and games, and i get that profit..
    even with how "not great" the movies are seen and rated as, people go and watch them, Kids like the new cartoon, and toys and heroes and that is where the profit is.

You surue as fuck is not going to go out there, and by a luke skywalker offical T-shirt, lunchbox, DVD of the "luke skywalker show"(yes it made up but compared to make a new show) Buy / ask your parrens to get you the new luke skywalker game. and so on.

kids on the otherhand will. At most you will buy the DVD, watch it in the cinema, and make snarky comments about how it not as great as it could have been if they had sticked to the extended universe(which ones more, they did not make money on, why they shut it down)

Not saying it is great, but it makes sense. Companies dont give a Flying Dutch fuck about you, me or anyone, that care about the green more then snoop dog
    Ya it sounds like a great theory if you don’t look at what starwars has been doing at all.

Since Disney has bought starwars we have had,
    Over 50 comic issues with the old cast and there still on going.

Multiple comic series around Darth Vader

Comics about other old cast members like mace Wendu and obiwan.

A movie about Han Solo.

Zero extend content about any one other then Poe and phasma.

If Disney have been trying to get rid of the old cast to make more movie they are doing a horrible job at it as they have pumping out content about Luke Vader and other old cast members nonestop since they got starwars and next to nothing of the new people. It’s a conspiracy theory’s that holds no water nothing more.

To further clarify, i still find the old ones enjoyable. Just as i do with many movies from that era despite their flaws. The new ones however don't, this could be due to disney taking over, but they still have enjoyable movies for all ages and are generally dual layered.

At first i was curious to see how the story would end, but the first movie felt like a rehash of a storyline they used before what made the movie predictable, far too predictable. Gave it another shot at rogue one, which was a bit better but the draw to those movies seem to be for a large part gone.
    It works the other way around too. I'm 38, and all my friends have kids, and all their kids love the new Star Wars. And, unlike my generation, that includes the girls, who adore Rey. Meanwhile, whenever we try and show them the old ones, they don't like them. They seem too slow, and too old. They don't have the initial connection we did, so they judge it for what it is in a 2019 lens. One of my friend's kids especially thought it pretty cheap that they killed Obi Wan off in one movie, only to bring him back in ESB as a ghost. He was 7 at the time, and he said, "That's stupid, why kill him if he needs to teach more to Luke?"

Kids are kind of a trip these days. The same kid, a few years later, went into End Game having read all the spoilers on Reddit at the age of 10, and just basically MST3K it the whole time, pointing out the flaws and inconsistencies of a movie he had never seen before.