Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    There's no enemy castbars in classic. You should watch animations. Please don't use addons. It's unfair advantage and you'll be banned.
    No you won't, rofl.

There's no enemy castbars in classic. You should watch animations. Please don't use addons. It's unfair advantage and you'll be banned.
    1. Cast bar addons won't get you banned
    2. How is something everyone can have an unfair advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    What's the phenomenon of mis-remembering called again?
    Mandela effect

...he's been on this site since 2011 and has 1k posts

I think he knows addons won't get you banned lol

Required an add-on but was often included in specialty UIs. You have to remember that most of Blizz's quality of life changes over the years were just stealing external add-ons to integrate into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    those aren't real cast bars tho

it's just a visualzed timer of the start

a real cast bar will show it's end when the guy moves or interrupted the cast.

Also it would* adjust to active trinkets showing reduced cast time

don't think of them as actual cast bars

Quote Originally Posted by Mukind View Post

Thats as close as you are going to get in vanilla, its that + animation as a visual Que.

7+ Year Old Account
    ^ heh I'm the one that wrote that post and I even forgot that there were no enemy cast bars!

I'll have to update it, which I was gonna do anyway.

What's the phenomenon of mis-remembering called again? I remember that the silver shield for uninterruptible came way late, but I swore in at least late vanilla there were cast bars.
    If no one has answered you yet, I believe you’re thinking of the Mandela effect.

Yes this was a great list, but noticed you didn’t have enemy cast bars on there either. I remember everything on that list. It’s just this enemy cast bars I could’ve sworn I say the cast bar in pallys bubble-hearthed. Don’t remember acknowledging the transition to enemy castbars being shown in TBC either.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah this is likely why I won’t end up using an addon for this. I’m sure I’ll adjust to watching for animations, but getting accustomed to an addon which has a high false-positive rate or just wrong information sometimes would be frustrating.
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

I think the issue is that there's no addon that can be truly accurate (as far as I know) because the addon will make the cast car from reading the combat log. But since pretty much every spell in classic has multiple ranks, and the earlier ranks of that spell almost always have a shorter cast time (e.g. Fireball rank 1 is 1.5s, 2 is 2.0s and 3+ is 2.5s). The best any addon can really do is guess when all the combat log says is "X casts Fireball".

Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    Thats as close as you are going to get in vanilla, its that + animation as a visual Que.
    i'm just saying you should make it clear to others how it works. At first glance they do seem like real cast bars

you won't be banned.

If blizzard wanted to emulate the real vanilla experience, they would have to break classic castbars for like a year, since thats about how long it took for a castbar addon to appear 15y ago.

Doesn't anyone remember Detect Magic ...

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Doesn't anyone remember Detect Magic ...
    What does this have to do with cast bars?

Quote Originally Posted by Equoowe View Post
    What does this have to do with cast bars?
    Your question makes no sense - in the context of knowing what spells your target has or is in the process of casting (i.e. the discussion topic of this thread) ?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

You only get banned if you get caught

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Your question makes no sense - in the context of knowing what spells your target has or is in the process of casting (i.e. the discussion topic of this thread) ?
    Detect magic shows the buffs the target has, it doesn't tell you what they are casting.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Nope, no base castbars, not that we all didn't use an addon to display it anyway though.
    Certainly not "all". Many people have eyes and can look at what happens on the screen and not just their interface.
    Next time you'll learn that many people also don't use boss add-ons.

- - - Updated - - -

What's the phenomenon of mis-remembering called again? I remember that the silver shield for uninterruptible came way late, but I swore in at least late vanilla there were cast bars.
    There definitely wasn't cast bar in Vanilla. I don't even think they were in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post

There definitely wasn't cast bar in Vanilla. I don't even think they were in TBC.
    There were in TBC for sure. I distinctly remember a certain rogue in our guild finding out about this halfway through shade of aran one day where it would have been really nice for him to know. "Ive just been watching his hands glowing!"