Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Leveling as Tank Warrior .

Hello guys , I wonder if is possible to leveling as protection warrior in classic . So i could so some dungeons on the way to 60. But i don’t know if it’s possible to do quests or will take me hours for each one .

Im just telling you what i hear in every single youtube video i watched (i dont actually know)

"You can tank by simply equipping a shield, even if you are fury or arms spec"

While leveling

Done it several times for a change and because I could let my buddy take the 2Hers that dropped and I planned on tanking at 60 anyway.

Seemed absoluetly fine to me; but maybe levelling speed is all meant to be compared to how fasta hunter or mage can do it in which case "omg it's so slow".

But yeah, things die, you have very little downtime, and it lets you get a little used to the spec I guess.

But yeah, it will simply be faster if you go 2H Arms, basically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarx View Post
    Hello guys , I wonder if is possible to leveling as protection warrior in classic . So i could so some dungeons on the way to 60. But i don’t know if it’s possible to do quests or will take me hours for each one .
    I'm going to do just that! I leveled to level 15 on private server as a tank and I didn't have any problems doing quests. Might take a little longer, but safer and less downtime. Also I leveled that way back in TBC. It's not classic, but I think that it's pretty close. I remember being the real JAGGERNAUT like I took few mobs on me at the same time and that wasn't a big problem! DPS warrior is a weakling who won't be able to kill even two mobs without breaking a sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Im just telling you what i hear in every single youtube video i watched (i dont actually know)

"You can tank by simply equipping a shield, even if you are fury or arms spec"

While leveling
    It's true. If you're a decent tank you will have no problem holding aggro, even without any points in Defiance.

Just to add to that, there is a 2H sword with a +10 Defensive bonus in Classic (though it's probably better for paladins since it has Spirit stat too)
    (edit: forgot that Spirit is an alright stat for warriors when leveling).
    Last edited by Theoris; 2019-08-18 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vsb View Post
    DPS warrior is a weakling who won't be able to kill even two mobs without breaking a sweat.
    While they can't always take 2+ mobs on at once, they're going to kill them in 1/3 the time as you, and move on to the next pack, and the next pack, while you sit slowly grind your 4 mobs down.

Just go Arms or Fury. Elite mobs in Classic do so little damage compared to private servers, you can tank just fine as DPS spec till LBRS/UBRS.

And you don't even really need to use shield for early levels either, just 2h tank vs 1-3 mobs and use shield for bigger pulls/accidents.

Spirit is actually a highly sought after stat for warriors leveling because how well spirit scales and it reduces your time out of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Explosivo View Post
    Spirit is actually a highly sought after stat for warriors leveling because how well spirit scales and it reduces your time out of combat.
    I usually found that by levelling cooking at least part way (up to 225, which isn't a struggle at all, the 225 quest can be a chore) means that the spirit buff from whatever food you can cook (think it gets up to +12 before 225+ recipes) is more than enough to basically put you back on 100% within a few seconds of the kill.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I'll tell you right now that's what I did and it was fine. But then I leveled a DPS character and realized how slow tank leveling really is. Just get a few key prot talents and go rest fury or arms.

There's no reason to. All you'll end up doing is using shieldslam instead of mortal strike or bloodthirst, and that's past lvl 40

Before that there is barely any difference in playstyle. Atleast as arms you can stance dance to use TC or intercept.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2019-08-18 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I usually found that by levelling cooking at least part way (up to 225, which isn't a struggle at all, the 225 quest can be a chore) means that the spirit buff from whatever food you can cook (think it gets up to +12 before 225+ recipes) is more than enough to basically put you back on 100% within a few seconds of the kill.
    I leveled a warrior on a BC server just months ago and kept my cooking up so i could always have spirit food and I found that alone wasn't enough. Plus I've seen at least three guides rate spirit just as important as strength for leveling because of how well it stacks/scales, at least before level 40. I think the two hander the person I replied to is talking about a level 50+ sword though, so my point was moot.
    Last edited by Explosivo; 2019-08-18 at 11:30 PM.

go fury until you can get mortal strike and then ride that to 60

3+ Year Old Account
    Prot lvling in vanilla was mega-shit, fucking horrible experience. Even if you're tanky, you kill so slow mobs do more dmg total to you than if you were DPS. You don't even have victory rush iirc, it's straight up crap.

However, you can tank dungeons as arms or fury easily just put a shield on, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Just go Arms or Fury. Elite mobs in Classic do so little damage compared to private servers, you can tank just fine as DPS spec till LBRS/UBRS.

And you don't even really need to use shield for early levels either, just 2h tank vs 1-3 mobs and use shield for bigger pulls/accidents.
    Cleared BWL one night with our MT in DPS spec. Not saying that's like...ez pz, he was super geared, and it was a farm night, but my point is that in terms of tuning, Classic/Vanilla is so easy that you can often tank in DPS arms spec. Furthermore, someone said tanking in dps spec was fine until UBRS - you can easily tank UBRS in dps spec if u have ok gear.

It might be worth mentioning aswell that there's a good chance raid tanking is going to be a question of "TpS" rather than "survivability" at least for the first few phases, so it may end up being the case that the "go-to" spec is a DPS one with points in prot to get Defiance (and maybe Imp. Shield Block)...

Or I could have just taken crazy pills, but I'm throwing it out there :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Level as Arms even if you want to Tank at 60. Common sense commands it. Pre-Cata, you don't passively learn core skills for the classes or specs. It just makes more sense overall to level as a DPS Spec even if you plan to roll Prot at 60. If you're worried about survivability, roll Armorsmith + Mining and you won't have to worry about gear while leveling. 2H Weapon Tanking or 1H Weapon + Shield DPSing is totally fine as well. As long as you're adequately geared and know what you're doing, you should have no problems ^_^
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    It's doable, but I can't imagine why you'd want to.

Just level as arms and throw on a 1h/shield when you need to tank something (like a dungeon, or one of those group quests with elite mobs). You can get away with tanking dungeons as arms and a 1h/shield all the way to level 60 unless you just end up in really bad groups. Then whip the 2h weapon back out when you're questing.

I guess fury is an option too, but I never leveled as fury in Classic, so I can't speak for how well it worked. I can say that improved overpower and the arms weapon specializations alone were very, very nice while leveling.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-08-19 at 03:02 AM.

It's possible and not especially more difficult. Don't buy into the hyperbole.
    It's very slow though, and due to how spec in Vanilla were just that ("specialization", not "subclass", so you CAN tank without being specced prot, you're just less efficient at it), most people wouldn't bother and would level up as Arms/Fury.

A staple of Vanilla was also that, lacking double spec and leveling being a pretty big part of the game, true "hybrid" spec were common, that would allow to be above-average in several aspects instead of being ultra-specialized in only one. So a mix-up of DPS and tanking talents could work.
    Last edited by Akka; 2019-08-19 at 08:13 AM.

I originally levelled my troll warrior as prot back in the days. Sure, things were slower but I must admit I did enjoy the change of pace somewhat This time round I fully intend to do the same again!
    I’m playing all the right notes...but not necessarily in the right order.