Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blizzard changed the dialogue based on race :o

Shocked, but very pleased. Legion was the first time I saw them do this, but that was after people had moaned on the forums about being a demon hunter and your sub-ordinates not even recgonizing you in the quest text. So they changed it to say something different.

They've done it again with Magister Umbric on the Wind's Redemption, if you speak to him as a void elf, he says something different to what he says to other alliance members. This is really cool

I really wonder why theydon't do it far more often, it's not like it's hard to do, there have been some facepalm moments when reading the text from an NPC, and understanding my characters race and it making no sense whatsoever. Another instance I can think of that is ridiculous is when a Tortallan tells a Draenei or Night elf character "I've been reading scrolls before your language was born" - might be true for most races, but not those 2.

I remember some games having audio fileds that varied based on your class or gender.. AUDIO files, yet I found it very disappointing to see blizzard couldn't change quest and NPC texts around.

they could really do so much more to make NPCs interesting.

1. Sometimes changing the text to say something different fror hteir own race and then everyone else, especially certain quests.
    2. NPCs could give a lot of info no places, bestiary, their race in the zone, politics, their lifestlry which will reveal more of their culture, especially NPcs of certain classes where people wannna know more about the story there and hwa'ts going on in the background.

3. You can pick an NPC to recruit and follow you around, do extra things like build you a tent nearby that would boost your regen rates and some other stats. Your tent can be destroyed by enemy players or NPCs, but if you have developed the ststem well you have stronger NPCs

Hmm..htis could tie in to a race campaign expansion, including the one where you help your race build its capital city and capital zone, one of the benefits of higher levels of progression is that you get more NPC followers from your race and they can do things like set up your tent, defend it, better at higher levels etc. and provie the sort of utlity you get from some professions and devices except useableautomatically.

Hmmm

I love when Blizzard does things like this, they really help you go along with the character you chose. I also love how the priests in Stormwind are wary of my Void Elf character when I enter the Cathedral. I wish there was a similar mechanic with Xal'athath and N'Zoth, I was hoping they would aknowledge that my character is pretty much one of the first mortals to defy the shadows' whispers. And likewise they should show particular contempt for someone playing a Lightforged Draeneir or a Paladin of any race.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

5+ Year Old Account
    I love those little details that OP is discussing. They really make the world feel a bit more alive while costing next to $0 to implement.

I remember playing my ally toon back in WotLK. I met Gryan Stoutmantle in Grizzly Hills, and found out that he had a special greeting speech/gossip for those characters who had completed the Defias quest series (including the dungeon quest where you had to kill Van Cleef). I also remember my Forsaken toon being treated quite rudely by those Kor'kron guards in the Undercity when asking for the Alchemy trainer's location. Or Lorewalker Cho, who gives a unique speech for each race. Or warlocks being able to understand the Demonic language, much like shadow priests and arcane mages were able to understand the Old Gods' tongue.

I'd really wish Blizzard kept paying more attention to this kind of details. They add a lot to the quite neglected RPG side of WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Not really the same, but I really appreciate it when Blizzard lets you bring up what your character has done.

In the Vol'dun quest about Akunda, when you have to choose your name of Akunda the X, you can say things like "I've killed the Lich King, have you really never heard of me?" and stuff like that.

Little details make the game feel more alive and I hope they keep doing it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    They add a lot to the quite neglected RPG side of WoW.
    RPG elements were deemed inconvenient, costly, and of no tangible benefit during the GC era. I remember him flat out gutting things he decided were inconvenient or for "quality of life" as it was sold to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    With so many race and class combinations, it would take so much more work to make the games dialogue based around the players choices. So kudos to this

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the NPCs affiliated with Allied Races will have different idle chatter if you're the associated race. Alleria, for example, tells void elves she's proud of them for being able to hold the whispers at bay and make a name for themselves as heroes of the Alliance.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

It's not difficult to do, no. However considering how much dialog there is most of it boils down to time and actually thinking about doing it. Most of the time making it work and writing all dialog takes priority which means smaller details like this are easily forgotten or pushed back.

there's that Zandalar chef that'll sass you depending on your race up near the hearthstone location.

I play an undead warrior and I still can't understand what the heck the lore was supposed to be for me in Legion and I ended up very confused between the order hall and Stormhiem. (Anyone have an explanation?) Honestly as an undead most of the game makes nearly no sense in BFA either. And people call you "undead" as the race tag. It is weird. Like most people saying it should have no idea who the Forsaken are, and if they know what an Undead is they would be terrified of one talking to them
    Last edited by Firefall; 2019-08-19 at 02:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I always enjoy little tidbits like this in the course of playing the game, especially if you kick over to an alt for a bit. Gives a sense of a living, breathing, organic type of world where NPC's respond in understandable manners. I hope we see increasing amounts of this kind of customized experience, though I recognize its inclusion adds a layer of complication and complexity.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefall View Post
    I play an undead warrior and I still can't understand what the heck the lore was supposed to be for me in Legion and I ended up very confused between the order hall and Stormhiem. (Anyone have an explanation?) Honestly as an undead most of the game makes nearly no sense in BFA either. And people call you "undead" as the race tag. It is weird. Like most people saying it should have no idea who the Forsaken are, and if they know what an Undead is they would be terrified of one talking to them
    Some of Bwomsamdi's chat must be quite offensive for a Forsaken toon, I'd wager.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

I love those little details that OP is discussing. They really make the world feel a bit more alive while costing next to $0 to implement.

I remember playing my ally toon back in WotLK. I met Gryan Stoutmantle in Grizzly Hills, and found out that he had a special greeting speech/gossip for those characters who had completed the Defias quest series (including the dungeon quest where you had to kill Van Cleef). I also remember my Forsaken toon being treated quite rudely by those Kor'kron guards in the Undercity when asking for the Alchemy trainer's location. Or Lorewalker Cho, who gives a unique speech for each race. Or warlocks being able to understand the Demonic language, much like shadow priests and arcane mages were able to understand the Old Gods' tongue.

I'd really wish Blizzard kept paying more attention to this kind of details. They add a lot to the quite neglected RPG side of WoW.
    In Legion the first boss in Darkheart Thicket would comment that there was a powerful druid in the group, then make another remark based on your spec. There were several npcs all around the Broken Isles who would comment on this artifact or that. Like "Is that the Scythe of Elune? Times must be dangerous." Or "Are those the Claws of Ashamane? I thought the Ashen would never let anyone use them." Or "What have you done to yourself? You are more demon than elf."

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Shocked, but very pleased. Legion was the first time I saw them do this, but that was after people had moaned on the forums about being a demon hunter and your sub-ordinates not even recgonizing you in the quest text. So they changed it to say something different.

They've done it again with Magister Umbric on the Wind's Redemption, if you speak to him as a void elf, he says something different to what he says to other alliance members. This is really cool

I really wonder why theydon't do it far more often, it's not like it's hard to do, there have been some facepalm moments when reading the text from an NPC, and understanding my characters race and it making no sense whatsoever. Another instance I can think of that is ridiculous is when a Tortallan tells a Draenei or Night elf character "I've been reading scrolls before your language was born" - might be true for most races, but not those 2.

I remember some games having audio fileds that varied based on your class or gender.. AUDIO files, yet I found it very disappointing to see blizzard couldn't change quest and NPC texts around.

they could really do so much more to make NPCs interesting.

1. Sometimes changing the text to say something different fror hteir own race and then everyone else, especially certain quests.
    2. NPCs could give a lot of info no places, bestiary, their race in the zone, politics, their lifestlry which will reveal more of their culture, especially NPcs of certain classes where people wannna know more about the story there and hwa'ts going on in the background.

3. You can pick an NPC to recruit and follow you around, do extra things like build you a tent nearby that would boost your regen rates and some other stats. Your tent can be destroyed by enemy players or NPCs, but if you have developed the ststem well you have stronger NPCs

Hmm..htis could tie in to a race campaign expansion, including the one where you help your race build its capital city and capital zone, one of the benefits of higher levels of progression is that you get more NPC followers from your race and they can do things like set up your tent, defend it, better at higher levels etc. and provie the sort of utlity you get from some professions and devices except useableautomatically.

Hmmm
    Blizzard does that, every now and then.

For example, in Wrath of the Lich King expansion, in Grizzly Hills, there is an Alliance quest titled "Report to Gryan Stoutmantle... Again", and Gryan Stoutmantle is the same NPC that you meet in Westfall while leveling, and there are three versions of his greeting when you hand in the aforementioned quest, depending if you completed the Defias quest chain in Westfall; started the quest chain, but not finished it; and never showed up in Westfall (i.e. this would be the first time the two meet).

Of course, for characters created during or after the Cataclysm expansion, he just acts as if this is the first time they meet.

I just noticed, mainly because I did not skip the battle for lordaeron on my Kul'tiran, that when you reach after that one to go with Jaina to Boralus, that it actually changes. Normally, you hop on board and get the whole 'jaina is a traitor' bit in Boralus. However, as a Kul'tiran, when you speak to her the chat you do is 'lets go home'. And there is no traitor Jaina part, in stead you immediately appear in the harbormasters location. I am yet to see if further parts of the jaina questline can be done on a Kul'tiran, but would think so as the Ashvane is a traitor part was still in the game.
    I'm an altoholic since 2005.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Another instance I can think of that is ridiculous is when a Tortallan tells a Draenei or Night elf character "I've been reading scrolls before your language was born" - might be true for most races, but not those 2.

You know, to be fair, it is usually nearly impossible to date a language properly: NEs and draenei (and trolls, tauren and pandaren as well - these are older or as old as these two races) may be more ancient than specific Tortollan NPCs, but their modern forms may have formed relatively recently.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    In Legion the first boss in Darkheart Thicket would comment that there was a powerful druid in the group, then make another remark based on your spec. There were several npcs all around the Broken Isles who would comment on this artifact or that. Like "Is that the Scythe of Elune? Times must be dangerous." Or "Are those the Claws of Ashamane? I thought the Ashen would never let anyone use them." Or "What have you done to yourself? You are more demon than elf."
    And if you had multiple druids with different specs in your Darkheart Thicket group, that first boss would never shut up.

Some of Bwomsamdi's chat must be quite offensive for a Forsaken toon, I'd wager.
    So much lol. And don't forget that the Zandalari don't like Undead and are not shy about saying so. To my face. Repeatedly. As if I am not there or would agree with them. Legion was rough but this expansion especially is really jarring and immersion breaking lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and another potential example of different dialogue by race? I think that there is a mechagnome who you can ask about what modifications she would reccomend for you, and her answer seemed race-based because for my Forsaken she commented how incredibly resistant my body is to disease and that it is amazing I am even alive in the state I'm in, and said I should pursue the most invasive and dangerous modifications available. That sounded pretty race-specific to me, unless it is just a joke about how much punishment all our characters take.

Edit: found it, https://wow.gamepedia.com/Pristy_Quickcharge
    Last edited by Firefall; 2019-08-19 at 09:31 PM.

Gnome npc dialoge comes to mind.

Even if you play as a gnome, the gnome NPC still says: "My, you're a tall one!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Blizzard does that, every now and then.

For example, in Wrath of the Lich King expansion, in Grizzly Hills, there is an Alliance quest titled "Report to Gryan Stoutmantle... Again", and Gryan Stoutmantle is the same NPC that you meet in Westfall while leveling, and there are three versions of his greeting when you hand in the aforementioned quest, depending if you completed the Defias quest chain in Westfall; started the quest chain, but not finished it; and never showed up in Westfall (i.e. this would be the first time the two meet).

Of course, for characters created during or after the Cataclysm expansion, he just acts as if this is the first time they meet.
    LOL, you know something? A long-running joke when it Worgen were announced as a playable race is how awkward doing the Worgen Quest chain would be for Worgen players. They never changed the dialogue either.

First time I did "Report to Gyran Stoutmantle...Again", I completed the chain in Westfall with the char I used. The next time I remember turning in that quest was with a char made after WOTLK. I did the new Westfall chain and the dialogue was the same as pre-Cata.

On a related note, NPC DKs have a different dialogue in Zul'Drak and Icecrown if you quest as a DK. Darion Mograine references the Ebon Blade's founding when you see him in The Argent Stand. I thought it was a nice touch.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D