Looking for some advice on a new computer build

I am looking into building a new gaming pc for my cousin. I played around with several different configurations and at this point am pretty certain on things like ram, SSD, HDD, case, power supply etc. Where I am rather unsure is what CPU, mobo and GPU to use to make the best out of the available budget.

PC is supposed to run games like the Rainbow Six series or GTA on high settings at least on a 1440p screen.

So budget for CPU+MoBo+GPU is around 900-950 Euro.

I mostly toyed around with Ryzen setups that fit in that range.
    3600 + RTX 2070 Super + B450 Mobo
    3700x + 5700 XT + X570 Mobo

Were two of the possible combos I looked at. Question is are the two additional cores of the 3700x worth it to get weaker GPU ?
    Is it worth looking at intel offerings as well or is the budget too tight for that ?

Any advice is appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only worthwhile CPUS from Intel right now are the 9700k and 9900k. So not really worth looking at those.

The 3700x is also not really a worthwhile upgrade over the 3600, so I'd go with the 3600+2070 super.

Just for giggles, what's the rest of the build?

Sorry for the late answer, was a bit busy getting everything into motion.

The rest of the setup isnt particular interesting, but since you asked:
    16 GB Ram DDR 4 3200
    1 TB Crucial P1 SSD
    2 TB HDD
    500w BeQuiet Pure Power 11
    B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC

Quote Originally Posted by Azhreia View Post
    I am looking into building a new gaming pc for my cousin. I played around with several different configurations and at this point am pretty certain on things like ram, SSD, HDD, case, power supply etc. Where I am rather unsure is what CPU, mobo and GPU to use to make the best out of the available budget.

PC is supposed to run games like the Rainbow Six series or GTA on high settings at least on a 1440p screen.

So budget for CPU+MoBo+GPU is around 900-950 Euro.

I mostly toyed around with Ryzen setups that fit in that range.
    3600 + RTX 2070 Super + B450 Mobo
    3700x + 5700 XT + X570 Mobo

Were two of the possible combos I looked at. Question is are the two additional cores of the 3700x worth it to get weaker GPU ?
    Is it worth looking at intel offerings as well or is the budget too tight for that ?

Any advice is appreciated.
    If price to performance is what you're aiming for the 3600 is a great processor, you can pair that with the b450 you have (it should support bios flashback if it doesnt say Ryzen 3000 ready), and I'd pair that with the 5700xt. Are they just gaming? How long do they plan to hold on to the machine?
    Last edited by Anevers; 2019-08-21 at 07:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

I would go with 3700x + 5700 XT + X570 Mobo
    also according to benchmarks that's better option for both cpu and gpu:
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...-XT/4048vs4045
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...600/4043vs4040

Rest of your parts looks good, maybe go for 600w version of same PSU. During gaming, you'll consume around 350 Watts more or less and having psu at 50-60% load is best. But you don't have to, 500w will work just fine.
    Last edited by Inferno83; 2019-08-21 at 07:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferno83 View Post
    I would go with 3700x + 5700 XT + X570 Mobo
    also according to benchmarks that's better option for both cpu and gpu:
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...-XT/4048vs4045
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...600/4043vs4040

Rest of your parts looks good, maybe go for 600w version of same PSU. During gaming, you'll consume around 350 Watts more or less and having psu at 50-60% load is best. But you don't have to, 500w will work just fine.
    Don't trust userbenchmark with specifics. It's wrong pretty often because it's based on user benchmarks, not any kind of standardized testing...

The 2070 super is a better card in 90% of games
    https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/m...oke-review.png

(hybrid OC is GN slapping a waterblock on the GPU and aircooling the VRMs, and then overclocking)

sure, so end users benchmarks are irrelevant then. they have no idea what they doing.
    let's trust you on that, but from what you linked it makes 2070 super irrelevant GPU because these few FPS sure aren't worth that price difference.
    But ok, it's better for few fps, he can cover these with better cpu.

10+ Year Old Account
    sure, so end users benchmarks are irrelevant then. they have no idea what they doing.
    let's trust you on that, but from what you linked it makes 2070 super irrelevant GPU because these few FPS sure aren't worth that price difference.
    But ok, it's better for few fps, he can cover these with better cpu.
    Yes, user benchmarks are irrelevant. Benchmarks exist to show the difference between products. That's why every tech outlet only has 1 variable when testing. GPU test benches all have the same CPU, MOBO, RAM, and PSU. CPU test benches all have the same GPU, MOBO, RAM, and PSU, etc.

If you start changing more than 1 thing, you don't know what caused the change. If I swap out both CPU and GPU, then I'm going to get vastly different results than if I just swapped out the GPU.

On top of that, the GPU is still fairly new, so who's likely to have it? The power users, who already have other GPUs, or who have powerful CPUs to make up for it to make it look better. In a couple months when people are using it with bad CPUs, its score might drop.

and I never said the 2070 super was a good value, I just said it was the better card.

/sigh
    like i don't know how benchmark works...
    but if 6,271 Users Benchmarks 2070 super and 6,509 Users Benchmarks 5700 XT and you get overall image of products in practice, i would not call that info irrelevant.
    I won't go into further discussion, it clearly goes in off topic direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    /sigh
    like i don't know how benchmark works...
    but if 6,271 Users Benchmarks 2070 super and 6,509 Users Benchmarks 5700 XT and you get overall image of products in practice, i would not call that info irrelevant.
    I won't go into further discussion, it clearly goes in off topic direction.
    There's nothing wrong with benchmarks from good tech sources, but the userbenchmark site is garbage that should never be used for anything, ever.
    The scoring system and what they use to measure their "benchmarks" is just made up crap that has no meaning or is any indication of how performance is in reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    There's nothing wrong with benchmarks from good tech sources, but the userbenchmark site is garbage that should never be used for anything, ever.
    The scoring system and what they use to measure their "benchmarks" is just made up crap that has no meaning or is any indication of how performance is in reality.
    It's okay to get an estimate within an order of magnitude or two. So, for instance, their GPU section has the GTX580 and the RX580 ranked, with the RX being ~130% better. So rounding that to the nearest order of magnitude, it's around twice as good.

That's really the only thing I'd use it for