I really, really hate the wall-to-wall meta. I'm trying to level my WHM, and I simply cannot keep a levelling tank alive in Shadowbringer dungeons. The last two dungeons I tried were wipefests, because the tank refused to pull smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I really, really hate the wall-to-wall meta. I'm trying to level my WHM, and I simply cannot keep a levelling tank alive in Shadowbringer dungeons. The last two dungeons I tried were wipefests, because the tank refused to pull smaller.
    Wiping is not meta at all
    Having said that, people should definitely stop going full retarded on pretending that they know what they are doing or can do what they are doing when they obviously don't.

Going wall to wall without at having at least one synced person between the tank and healer on current levelling content is very likely to just be a waste of people's time.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudenoso View Post
    Wiping is not meta at all
    Having said that, people should definitely stop going full retarded on pretending that they know what they are doing or can do what they are doing when they obviously don't.

Going wall to wall without at having at least one synced person between the tank and healer on current levelling content is very likely to just be a waste of people's time.

From my experience having leveled all three healers to max, wall-wall pulling only works out if both the tank and healer stagger their CD's. Gear really isn't an issue unless you're vastly below the ilvl required due to how scaling works in this game.

The problem is more often than not the tank will pull everything and pop all their CD's while pulling then when he's taking the most damage (once they've hit the wall and all the mobs are whacking them) all of their CD's are down and they die instantly.

Another mistake I've seen is that healers will waste time healing the group or trying to do damage but during a wall-to-wall pull you should ONLY be healing the tank and ONLY be doing damage during invulns/etc. No dps should be dying due to the trash packs in this game having very little unavoidable aoe.

EDIT: Though both the tank and healer are irrelevant if your DPS is shit and the enemies live a long time. Wall-to-wall pulling isn't sustainable by any means, which requires all four members to pull their weight.
    Last edited by Sharby; 2019-08-21 at 12:30 AM.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharby View Post
    EDIT: Though both the tank and healer are irrelevant if your DPS is shit and the enemies live a long time. Wall-to-wall pulling isn't sustainable by any means, which requires all four members to pull their weight.
    Most of the time DPS is shit on levelling content.

I have been mostly levelling tanks lately (yay DRK for when you don't want to focus too hard on your rotation and GNB for when you don't want the "use big dick nuke 5 times in a row" playstyle). The amount of times I used one CD per time and run out of CDs to use(popping the next one when the previous duration was over) while mobs were still up was too damn high.

At some point it is worth it to pull less so the healer can make up for the DPS that is dealing less damage than if they just spammed their weakest AoE. You know it's gonna be a long run when one of the DPS is dealing half the tank's damage and the other DPS deals 100 more DPS than the tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only an idiot tank pulls wall to wall in current leveling content with people in actual leveling gear.

15+ Year Old Account

I have been mostly levelling tanks lately (yay DRK for when you don't want to focus too hard on your rotation and GNB for when you don't want the "use big dick nuke 5 times in a row" playstyle). The amount of times I used one CD per time and run out of CDs to use(popping the next one when the previous duration was over) while mobs were still up was too damn high.

At some point it is worth it to pull less so the healer can make up for the DPS that is dealing less damage than if they just spammed their weakest AoE. You know it's gonna be a long run when one of the DPS is dealing half the tank's damage and the other DPS deals 100 more DPS than the tank.
    What are we classifying as low-level though? Because a fair amount of dps don't get a single aoe ability until level 40. And by that time, mashing 1 button over and over is gonna put you to sleep. I know, it happened to me about a half dozen times when I was leveling dragoon and monk a few years ago.

5+ Year Old Account

Funny enough I was leveling my BLM through Qitana Ravel (Level 76.) And the healer literally kept telling the tank to pull more and even rescued him to the last pack. We wiped like five times despite me doing 22k+ dps because neither of them knew what they were doing but they both insisted on doing the same pull over and over, I rarely type in my dungeons but I'm like... can we just chill we're actually time-negative now.
    Honorary member of the Baine Fanclub, the only member really.

Was talking with a friend who refuses to level a healer about the story and boy without the healer role quest and the final role quest you unlock for beating them all did he miss a huge story hook. The people sticking to one role this expansion are really missing out if they give a shit about the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    What are we classifying as low-level though? Because a fair amount of dps don't get a single aoe ability until level 40. And by that time, mashing 1 button over and over is gonna put you to sleep. I know, it happened to me about a half dozen times when I was leveling dragoon and monk a few years ago.
    Obviously what I said doesn't apply when you get ninja/goon at levelling roulette pre-Stone Vigil. If people want chain pulling when the only one who has AoE is the tank, they deserve to get slapped in the face with a chair.

Mind you, I said levelling content not low-level. During HW I got most jobs to 50, so that doesn't happen much since I prefer to use levelling roulette for DPSs.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Was talking with a friend who refuses to level a healer about the story and boy without the healer role quest and the final role quest you unlock for beating them all did he miss a huge story hook. The people sticking to one role this expansion are really missing out if they give a shit about the story.
    Agreed, it's a huge story hook that adds a LOT to the overall narrative. If you care about story at all, I highly recommend leveling one of each role and doing the final quest that unlocks after completing the last role quest.

15+ Year Old Account
    I care about the story but I'd rather have my skin peeled off with a rusty spoon than level or play a healer in any mmo, let alone this one. I'll just watch that part of the story on youtube.

i leveled 6 of my dps to 80 the first 2 weeks and almost all of them were wall to wall and it was fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Agreed, it's a huge story hook that adds a LOT to the overall narrative. If you care about story at all, I highly recommend leveling one of each role and doing the final quest that unlocks after completing the last role quest.
    I really am not a fan of tanks, but SE decided to put the adorable amaro behind leveling everything to 80. Q_Q So I'll be seeing all of the role quests eventually.

I care about the story but I'd rather have my skin peeled off with a rusty spoon than level or play a healer in any mmo, let alone this one. I'll just watch that part of the story on youtube.
    Why such a strong aversion to leveling a healer?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    I really am not a fan of tanks, but SE decided to put the adorable amaro behind leveling everything to 80. Q_Q So I'll be seeing all of the role quests eventually.
    I thought I'd enjoy tanking this expansion with how fun Gunbreaker is (because it really is fun), but the pressure on tanks for setting the pace and pulling as much as you can in an effort to speed up dungeon runs is just not fun, even if the pressure isn't even that bad...it's just not something DPS or even healers have to deal with, it's just something extra Tanks have to deal with.

I think healers are more engaging to play in XIV than in other MMOs. In other MMOs, you spend 90% of your time healing, and if you aren't healing, you're useless in combat so you just sit there and do nothing.

In XIV, you can get the party healed up pretty quickly and then start doing damage. It's engaging to alternate between healing and playing the micromanagement game when heavy damage is coming in to refreshing dots, CCing, and dealing damage.

Level a SMN, use free scholar levels to do healer role quests. Profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    It's engaging to alternate between healing and playing the micromanagement game
    While I get some people feel the desire to stand up something they enjoy, you don't seem to grasp the passionate, vitriolic, hatred some people have against certain roles. I'm with Advent. I even tried a healer however in PotD. 1-30? "Eh, I can handle this." 30+? It felt like a tool chest exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I think healers are more engaging to play in XIV than in other MMOs. In other MMOs, you spend 90% of your time healing, and if you aren't healing, you're useless in combat so you just sit there and do nothing.

In XIV, you can get the party healed up pretty quickly and then start doing damage. It's engaging to alternate between healing and playing the micromanagement game when heavy damage is coming in to refreshing dots, CCing, and dealing damage.
    People play healers to heal, which is why it's appealing in a game like WoW, where you plan your CDs and you're almost always healing, with very little downtime to DPS. In ff14, you spend more time DPSing than you ever do healing, by a huge amount.

In FF14, all mechanics and damage are predictable, and it's majority AOE based, so healers can plan their CDs. However it isn't really engaging when your DPS rotation in your downtime amounts to spamming 1 button repeatedly. Maybe if healers had a more RDM/DNC like, minmal button but proc/engaging rotation it would be more enjoyable. If anything it's an incredibly boring playstyle, and that's coming from someone who mains a SCH xD

I think healer in general is the most taxing to play in the game, because you're aware of all the mistakes people make, of all the things people do, or the things they ignore, and you have to sorta deal with it and pick up the pieces. I get roulettes so often where a tank just pulls wall to wall - which I encourage, but if you're a new healer and you have some of the tanks I deal with? Undergeared, in the newest ShB dungeons? Some of them pull massive packs that really do hurt, use 0 CDs, and when they're half dead and I've exhausted all of mine, they pop every fucking CD they have all at once. It's so frustrating and irritating and it's a lot of stuff like that which makes healing incredibly annoying at times.

I think the worst is healers that treat healing as a secondary thing. I usually pug the first 3 savage fights and most of the time the other healers have been great, but sometimes you get that one healer that does nothing but DPS, to the point that as a SCH, I can't do it myself. I've wiped on fights because the other healer just does not heal, and I'm like congrats on 100% ignoring healing so you could do 8k dps, too bad it gets us killed.
    Last edited by La; 2019-08-21 at 06:27 PM.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

Yeah, I dislike healing in FFXIV since I'd rather heal than DPS. I also hate mass pulls since it just devolves into spamming AoE as a DPS. I'd much prefer regular enemies to hit a lot harder and require crowd control like the good old days, though given how much some people in MMO's struggle with basic mechanics that's just wishful thinking I suppose.

I like healing in the random roulette content because it's different every time, most of the time everything goes just fine, other times not so much but that's just how it is. It's not my preferred role, but I enjoy it anyway because it does bring a sense of fulfillment because you have such a key role in how smoothly the group runs. Also, as boring as the DPS'ing might be, the healers are very versatile in ad hoc groups because they can rez, DPS and heal so they contribute pretty substantially to the groups success regardless.

They're certainly not for everybody, especially long term, but I've never found them to be THAT bad to where I'd prefer peeling my own skin or whatever exaggerated example someone else can come up with.