Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Now I have to place my next DnD campaign in free of ice Greenland. That landscape is rad.
    Yeah it is.

I've always wanted to go to Greenland. If we could afford it and everyone was willing, I'd think that adding Greenland to the US would be a great idea. But alas...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yeah it is.

I've always wanted to go to Greenland. If we could afford it and everyone was willing, I'd think that adding Greenland to the US would be a great idea. But alas...
    Why do people hate Greenland so much that they want to add it to the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The United government still owes millions in clean up costs from their bases even. Makes me think more and more that the Greenlanders could've seen the request as an insult.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    Yeah, and for the longest time, until later oil and gold was found, people thought, it was one of the worst deals, the USA could make. It was, when bought, believed, to be just a worthless landmass, having some bears roaming around and nothing else.
    It was really Russia going "Oh shit we can't defend this." after crimea war and wanted it sold to the US mostly so both could spite Britain incase they wished to extend British North America there.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It was really Russia going "Oh shit we can't defend this." after crimea war and wanted it sold to the US mostly so both could spite Britain incase they wished to extend British North America there.
    Yep, and they were proved rather right when the West invaded Siberia in the 1920s. This is a thing that really happened, with over 140,000 troops invading Siberia, and there was very little the new Soviet government could do about it. Granted, Russia was getting invaded from every direction at the time, which certainly led to a very low priority in defending Siberia, but the US, UK, France, Canada, and Italy all sent forces. Most of the damage was done by a huge amount of Czechs and Japanese though.

Greenland would be hard to defend as well, however unlike Alaska it would be equally hard to attack, so that isn't a real issue there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Why do people hate Greenland so much that they want to add it to the US?
    Hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    The United government still owes millions in clean up costs from their bases even. Makes me think more and more that the Greenlanders could've seen the request as an insult.
    I definitely think they could have interpreted the request as an insult. I did. I spent some time thinking about why that is. I think that there's something inherently insulting about implying that your own country, your homeland, could be bought and sold for the right price. Especially for countries that aren't as pro-capitalistic as the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Hahaha!

I definitely think they could have interpreted the request as an insult. I did. I spent some time thinking about why that is. I think that there's something inherently insulting about implying that your own country, your homeland, could be bought and sold for the right price. Especially for countries that aren't as pro-capitalistic as the US.
    Two insults when you think of it.

1.: They have left a mess on Greenland, then requests a deal for purchase while owing money to clean up.
    2.: Asking another government about purchase options when they are not in position to even answer that.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Two insults when you think of it.

1.: They have left a mess on Greenland, then requests a deal for purchase while owing money to clean up.
    2.: Asking another government about purchase options when they are not in position to even answer that.
    Also, US has a deficit that is quickly approaching a trillion. We cannot afford it...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if Trump really thinks the NATO is the US + Vassal states like he's playing Victoria 2 with all the cheats on.

Eeh what does absurd mean in English? As stated in the “trump invited himself” article, it apparently is a far more harsh word in english?

Other than that, Danes are very direct in communication, not “shithole countries direct”, but the extreme subtle way Merkel told BoJo “lol you can try” the other day, was far more subtle than how Danes communicate.

From my POV, it would have been more insulting to call it a silly discussion instead of absurd. Which pretty much translates to “why are we talking about this” for danes.

What is pathetic is the usual suspects now saying Denmark have to sell Greenland because...reasons.

How fucking bat shit crazy and/or far down the Alzheimers hole do you have to be to think you could actually just buy some land out of the blue..?

I doubt many are saddened that the retard in chief won't be visiting though, most countries usually rejoice.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-08-23 at 05:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    What is pathetic is the usual suspects now saying Denmark have to sell Greenland because...reasons.
    Just makes them sound even more absurd as Greenland is not just an island but a country - Denmark doesn't hold rights to say yes or no - that is why the trumpet is angry about the 'absurd' thing. Greenland said no, so he literally went to another country and asked them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    How fucking bat shit crazy and/or far down the Alzheimers hole do you have to be to think you could actually just buy some land out of the blue..?

I doubt many are saddened that the retard in chief won't be visiting though, most countries usually rejoice.
    Honestly, I don't like him but it is sad to see so much wasted work. Denmark tends to be good hosts, and I don't think we've had any guests who has basically run off because they didn't get what they wanted - until now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Naw, it was a wandering addition at the part where he was going to - Poland, I think - so he added in, "might come to Denmark, might", so they queen took that as an incentive of a good host, and sent him an invite that he accepted, and confirmed.

Naw, it was a wandering addition at the part where he was going to - Poland, I think - so he added in, "might come to Denmark, might", so they queen took that as an incentive of a good host, and sent him an invite that he accepted, and confirmed.
    So he invited himself.... Denmark is not in constant defcon 1, always prepared to host the American president if he suddenly decides to land his airplane. It requires at minimum weeks of preparation.

i can see the reasoning from trump to be fair
    greenland is afterall a huge island in a strategic spot filled with potential recourses
    with very little population
    but more important gives the US a bigger claim on the artic, wich apearently is hiding fairly massive recourses

but the way he did it was fairly rude to denmark/greenland

issue is how do you sell such a huge island in the first place
    50dollars a square meter ? thats probably arround 100 billion dollar/euro

Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post
    greenland is afterall a huge island in a strategic spot filled with potential recourses
    but more important gives the US a bigger claim on the artic, wich apearently is hiding fairly massive recourses

The kalaallit are way too nationalistic and proud to just sell their country to the highest bidder, it's as if the fact that Trump wanted to buy a fucking country is lost on some people, it's not a "real estate trade"

Is the US for sale for the right price? You wouldnt bother becoming Mexicans as long as the price is right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    So he invited himself.... Denmark is not in constant defcon 1, always prepared to host the American president if he suddenly decides to land his airplane. It requires at minimum weeks of preparation.
    Well, you know the Danish government, we'll gladly invite if people wish to visit. He showed such interest, and then turned it around to be about Greenland.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be but he would need brains to start talking about such, like, knowing about Greenland and such.

Yes, but so many other countries has strategic locations too. He could've gone and asked if he could buy Spain for all that it matters.

Not the point. A little below 60.000 citizens of their own island. All have voted to remain under the Danish Kingdom but not under the complete Danish government.

The fact it would give the US bigger claim makes more sense to not sell it. Does hide resources, and there is no current plan to use them yet.

Ah, rude to Greenland the most. The US still owes money for clean up. The US offers to buy Greenland (a country) and when rejected, goes to a different country to ask.

You don't. Denmark is not in position to sell it. Greenland does not wish to be under US control.

I think talk was about an actual value of 500 billion dollars due to minerals, oil, trade routes, tactical advantage and the fact that the US has to STILL foot their bill on cleaning up the place.

- - - Updated - - -

The kalaallit are way too nationalistic and proud to just sell their country to the highest bidder, it's as if the fact that Trump wanted to buy a fucking country is lost on some people, it's not a "real estate trade"

Is the US for sale for the right price? You wouldnt bother becoming Mexicans as long as the price is right?
    Many seem to not pick up on the fact that Greenland is Greenland, not Denmark. The connection Greenland has with Denmark is in connection of the Kingdom, gaining the benefits without the overall cost other than import prices. Even worse, there has never been talk about Greenland even having a sale price, so I keep asking if it is an American thing to expect that everything is for sale..

Well, you know the Danish government, we'll gladly invite if people wish to visit. He showed such interest, and then turned it around to be about Greenland.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be but he would need brains to start talking about such, like, knowing about Greenland and such.

Yes, but so many other countries has strategic locations too. He could've gone and asked if he could buy Spain for all that it matters.

Not the point. A little below 60.000 citizens of their own island. All have voted to remain under the Danish Kingdom but not under the complete Danish government.

The fact it would give the US bigger claim makes more sense to not sell it. Does hide resources, and there is no current plan to use them yet.

Ah, rude to Greenland the most. The US still owes money for clean up. The US offers to buy Greenland (a country) and when rejected, goes to a different country to ask.

You don't. Denmark is not in position to sell it. Greenland does not wish to be under US control.

I think talk was about an actual value of 500 billion dollars due to minerals, oil, trade routes, tactical advantage and the fact that the US has to STILL foot their bill on cleaning up the place.

- - - Updated - - -

Many seem to not pick up on the fact that Greenland is Greenland, not Denmark. The connection Greenland has with Denmark is in connection of the Kingdom, gaining the benefits without the overall cost other than import prices. Even worse, there has never been talk about Greenland even having a sale price, so I keep asking if it is an American thing to expect that everything is for sale..
    i didnt say that i agree with trump
    but i can see the reason why hes intrested

its kind of pointless anyway, there is no way he wil get his hands on it eitherway unles he offers hundreds of billions for it+ finds a way to convince the greenlanders

and both are unlikely since 1 fairly sure he would never get the budget 2 why would greenlanders give up what they have now ?

- - - Updated - - -

if mexico gave me 10+millions i wouldnt have a issue, since i'd use the money to move away after anyway
    but thats not going to happend

regardless i dont agree with trump but his point of view makes sence to some degree if you dont take in account the emotional issues with it,
    personally i reckon it should be up to greenlanders eitherway and they made it clear i think that they don't want it