Page 1 of 2
LastLast

I don't like fountain drinks at restaurants

So I have a strong distrust to ordering fountain drinks when I go out to eat. If at all possible I will always order something in a sealed container. I've worked in restaurants before and can't for the life of me trust restaurants to clean them properly or often enough. Also their ice dispensers. You'd be surprised how often and how well some restaurants clean their ice dispensers.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Death is a natural part of life. Driving down the street the asshole in front of me is dirtying up the air. I saw a dog shitting in the lake my town gets our water from. This morning some lady was coughing in the store.

Whenever possible I find it impossible to avoid most bullshit in life. I just deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok.

/10coolstoriesbro
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they don't need to be cleaned as much as you think. Maybe people are more resilient than you think.

Example, it's funny when people find out that like soups, salads, and chilis contain scrapped meat or cast irons/griddles/grills go a long time without seeing soap, if ever.

A disgusting amount of food goes to waste in the US due to 'food safety' standards meant to make you buy more often.

How often do you clean your water lines?
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-08-23 at 02:20 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    So I have a strong distrust to ordering fountain drinks when I go out to eat.
    it is true about ice dispensers/fountain drinks, but restaurants are dirty in general. The first restaurant I worked at had a persistent rodent and cockroach problem. Managers would go talk to tables in order to distract them from the mouse running by their table. One time someone found a cockroach at the bottom of their alcoholic drink, still wiggling.

It was in Chicago so assuming some health inspector was making a lot of money via bribes.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cleanliness doesn't really bother me its just how watered down and over priced they are. I'll stick with water

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    it is true about ice dispensers/fountain drinks, but restaurants are dirty in general. The first restaurant I worked at had a persistent rodent and cockroach problem. Managers would go talk to tables in order to distract them from the mouse running by their table. One time someone found a cockroach at the bottom of their alcoholic drink, still wiggling.

It was in Chicago so assuming some health inspector was making a lot of money via bribes.
    there was a chinese buffet in a town near me that had a similar issue and they got shut down bby the health department for a while. to this day I still won't go to it
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m not bothered by fountain drinks in restaurants but I do request no ice because I also know how disgusting that shit can be.
    I only request no ice because I want more of my drink.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Death is a natural part of life. Driving down the street the asshole in front of me is dirtying up the air. I saw a dog shitting in the lake my town gets our water from. This morning some lady was coughing in the store.

Whenever possible I find it impossible to avoid most bullshit in life. I just deal with it.
    Basically this.

There’s probably a tiny hair or two in your food.
    Skin cells fall off people’s hands into your food and drinks.
    Dust from ceiling fans that haven’t been cleaned in a while falls on your face.
    You think people crawl into their ventilation ducts and dust them out?

Being stressed out about minor shit like this is more harmful to your health than accidentally eating someone’s hair or two.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Maybe they don't need to be cleaned as much as you think. Maybe people are more resilient than you think.

Example, it's funny when people find out that like soups, salads, and chilis contain scrapped meat or cast irons/griddles/grills go a long time without seeing soap, if ever.

A disgusting amount of food goes to waste in the US due to 'food safety' standards meant to make you buy more often.

How often do you clean your water lines?
    yes great idea let's just feed people dirty food and water so they get sick. it is totally a conspiracy from big government to make you spend more money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blown03SVT View Post
    Basically this.

Being stressed out about minor shit like this is more harmful to your health than accidentally eating someone’s hair or two.
    good for you that you don't care what you put in your body...others do.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    yes great idea let's just feed people dirty food and water so they get sick. it is totally a conspiracy from big government to make you spend more money.
    Thats not what I meant at all.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    So I have a strong distrust to ordering fountain drinks when I go out to eat. If at all possible I will always order something in a sealed container. I've worked in restaurants before and can't for the life of me trust restaurants to clean them properly or often enough. Also their ice dispensers. You'd be surprised how often and how well some restaurants clean their ice dispensers.
    I'm with you. I spent the better part of a decade working in restaurants, and I know exactly what you are talking about. Nozzle Sludge is gross, and to drink a liquid passing through that is nauseating.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First off, I rarely drink soft drinks anyway. But I am with the OP on the dislikes of fountain drinks. Usually I will tell them go lite on the ice or use none. The ice will water down the soft drink anyway. Plus I can not stand city water. Spoiled by our own spring water.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    When I was a kid and worked at Taco Bell. The drink nozzles had to be removed every night and soaked in this pink liquid that would keep them from forming that rocky hard stuff from water. They are extremely clean, prob the cleanest thing next to the heating cabs. You cant miss more than a day or two before they start to get clogged by the syrup. They must be cleaned, or they will "jam".

I would trust the fountain drinks and ice over the person preparing my food.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    When I was a kid and worked at Taco Bell. The drink nozzles had to be removed every night and soaked in this pink liquid that would keep them from forming that rocky hard stuff from water. They are extremely clean, prob the cleanest thing next to the heating cabs. You cant miss more than a day or two before they start to get clogged by the syrup. They must be cleaned, or they will "jam".
    This is true, was same working at burger king and arbys, if we didn't keep them clean the syrup would clog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    First off, I rarely drink soft drinks anyway. But I am with the OP on the dislikes of fountain drinks. Usually I will tell them go lite on the ice or use none. The ice will water down the soft drink anyway. Plus I can not stand city water. Spoiled by our own spring water.
    Drinks are already cold anyway, get more drink and less ice!

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

I'm not sure if there are rules on how often health inspectors are supposed to check places. It may just be random. I know at my first restaurant job, we had a health inspector show up out of nowhere one day. I'd only been working there a couple of months, but according to other people who'd been there for years, that was the first health inspection they'd had in a few years. He busted us on a lot of things and basically told us he'd be back in about a week to shut us down if we didn't have everything fixed by then. Final score was somewhere in the high 60's, so it was pretty bad.

Some was just the standard problems like stuff not being cleaned properly or often enough, but a lot of it was building maintenance stuff too. Management did end up getting everything taken care of, and we managed something like a 95 next time he showed up.

But yeah, they'd supposedly gone for years without a health inspection before this one showed up. I guess that had something to do with how out of hand a few things got.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-08-23 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blown03SVT View Post
    Basically this.

In more ways then one lol- being a hardcore germaphobe that over cleans everything just leads to a weaker immune system and actually is bad for your physical health on top on the mental strain of worrying about it.

The ice is apart of the carbonation process, less ice will result in a less fizzy drink. Some places do have fountain drinks with no ice but its kept really cold so it doesn't need ice.

I mean our restaurant gets fully inspected every 2 months or so, always unannounced. Keeping shit like the drinks fountain clean is something that we just do every day. I mean if its that bad where you live I guess the answer is to tip more?

Thanks for the blog post.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.