Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyox View Post
    Oh yeah this is when a bunch of people who have never played the game or haven't played in 15 years think it's all one button. To anyone that has played vanilla end-game in the past 4 years you sound like an idiot. I've never felt more bored playing a class then I have in BFA, the braindead 4 button rotation and timing of cd's are all so you can assert dominance on a chart... I'd rather do dishes then play any spec in BFA.

Your reaching a bit there. Watching people raid on private servers makes me fall asleep. And yes I played in Vanilla AQ40 up to Cthun and a bit more than half of Naxx. Gameplay was braindead boring.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    Melee swing timer would like to have a word with you. It never fails to amaze me how people see Vanilla skills as simple and easy. When it's modern WoW that has the whack-a-mole style of play... tap this until this lights up... then whack it.

Having resubbed to claim my names.. I played some BfA... OMG... my mage can face tank every normal and rare mob... spam fireball and hit anything that procs. My mana NEVER dips below 90%

Complete easy mode. In Classic I need to watch what I pull, drink often, and if I pull a rare.. I better be ready to actually play my character.

Threat, mana management, wanding... all added to the simpler "rotation" to create a complex playstyle. Now you just rush in... faceroll the buttons and almost never worry about dying.
    Outdoor content while leveling was more involved in classic, for sure. I wouldn't say it was even remotely challenging though, nor anything special. It's claim to fame above other MMOs was quest to cap solo, and that's exactly what it offered.

The major difference between WoW Classic and BFA is mostly that 15 years of video games getting hit over the head with a lead pipe happened. Games are largely geared for total fucking idiots now.

Anyway, for dungeons and raiding he's largely right, though. There are some idiosyncrasies but Classic, especially on a Mage, is mostly just falling asleep on your frostbolt button for several tiers of content. It ain't good and there's no amount of wordsmithery that can make it sound good. The idea of going back to Molten Core on a Mage or a Warlock actually makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Ah yes, mmo-c

where drinking for 30 seconds is considered good gameplay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by avx81 View Post
    Your reaching a bit there. Watching people raid on private servers makes me fall asleep. And yes I played in Vanilla AQ40 up to Cthun and a bit more than half of Naxx. Gameplay was braindead boring.
    pirate server kids have always been delusional

I'm a simple man.
    Give me a simple rotation.

I still remember the Hakkar fight in vanilla.

1. Periodically during the fight, a hunter had to go downstairs to grab a winged serpent and bring it up to the top of the ziggurat.
    2. DPS had to kill that serpent ASAP to create a pool of poison on the ground.
    3. Everyone had to then run to stand in the pool when Hakkar leeched your blood.
    4. If some people failed to stand in the pool during leech time, Hakkar would heal too much and its a wipe.
    5. If you killed the serpent too early, the pool would fade and its a wipe.
    6. IMMEDIATELY after the leech phase, Hakkar would cast some sort of spell that could only be avoided by everyone spacing out, so you had to time the serpent kill, rush onto the pool, then immediately spread out.
    7. The pool of poison also hit a lot of damage to each player, so the entire raid needed to be topped off BTW before standing in the poison.
    8. There was a tank swap mechanic tossed in there for extra fun as well.

It wasn't so much about your rotation but your raid's timing needed to be perfect. There was a slew of mechanics that had to be done perfectly. No errors. Or its a wipe. Today, you can make mistakes all over the place.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post

1. Periodically during the fight, a hunter had to go downstairs to grab a winged serpent and bring it up to the top of the ziggurat.
    3. Everyone had to then run to stand in the pool when Hakkar leeched your blood.
    4. If some people failed to stand in the pool during leech time, Hakkar would heal too much and its a wipe.
    6. IMMEDIATELY after the leech phase, Hakkar would cast some sort of spell that could only be avoided by everyone spacing out, so you had to time the serpent kill, rush onto the pool, then immediately spread out.
    7. The pool of poison also hit a lot of damage to each player, so the entire raid needed to be topped off BTW before standing in the poison.

It wasn't so much about your rotation but your raid's timing needed to be perfect. There was a slew of mechanics that had to be done perfectly. No errors. Or its a wipe. Today, you can make mistakes all over the place.
    Oh ya? I guess you cleared all content already, huh

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    most fights dont have anything other than avoid certain mechanics and focus boss, threat is going to be irrelevant for any half decent guild anyway, all it does is slow things down a little and when things take so much longer in classic it just makes things even much of a chore and not fun.
    Because it's design that way your made at the design not the concept.
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

Melee swing timer would like to have a word with you. It never fails to amaze me how people see Vanilla skills as simple and easy. When it's modern WoW that has the whack-a-mole style of play... tap this until this lights up... then whack it.

Having resubbed to claim my names.. I played some BfA... OMG... my mage can face tank every normal and rare mob... spam fireball and hit anything that procs. My mana NEVER dips below 90%

Complete easy mode. In Classic I need to watch what I pull, drink often, and if I pull a rare.. I better be ready to actually play my character.

Threat, mana management, wanding... all added to the simpler "rotation" to create a complex playstyle. Now you just rush in... faceroll the buttons and almost never worry about dying.
    /threaddddd

Quote Originally Posted by Hexian View Post
    Somebody didnt play vanilla
    Many people didn't. Maybe even you?

In raids only 1 warlock would place corruption and maybe immolate
    Last edited by Mermeoth; 2019-08-22 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    Totally Blood DPS back in Wrath was hands down by most favorite spec and rotation number one and all history of world of Warcraft.

and a big reason was because of the perfect set rotation click one spell one after another rinse and repeat That's the way it should be.

they totally destroyed the game in cataclysm with this stupid priority system and proc and jumping around to different spells and jump to that spell that's fucking stupid. A rotation should be 1 2 3 4 rinse and repeat.

They need to go back to that next expansion.

And macros are bad as well they need to be banned and deleteed from the game. Your rotation should just be clicking ila few spells in a row rinse and repeat and that's it. Keep it simple stupid.
    This point of view is just unfathomable to me. How can someone desire a literally mindless state of gameplay?

Today, you can make mistakes all over the place.
    No, you can't. I do unfortunately sound mean but you really need to get a clue about current content (on mythic of course). No encounters are as unforgiving of personal errors as recent ones have been.
    Last edited by Farah; 2019-08-23 at 01:52 PM.

Yeah i remember that fight, too and we often made an error and still killed him. Yes you couldn't ignore its mechanics but it's really not that "If some people failed to stand in the pool during leech time, Hakkar would heal too much and its a wipe." We killed him after the happened all the time and we were a casual guild that was never good enough to do AQ 40.

as a mage ? in vanilla ?

out of all classes you give example of mage which had to be carefull what he pulled ?

are you for real ?

actually no im not gonan be a dick just gonna link this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pQCtjB4sE

here you have your "watch what you pull"
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2019-08-23 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    One of my most missed things and worst changes Blizzard ever did in the history of the company was I think in Cataclysm they changed away from the awesome perfect strict rotation of one spell after another and went to this idiotic insanely stupid priority set up we currently have of hit this bell then jump around to another spell then click another spell and then click that spell.

Best thing ever is a straightforward rotation, one spell after another. And then rinse and repeat over again.

Isn't that the way it used to be? And is classic back to that way?
    Knowing that you're clicking probably tells us all we need to know.

But yes, every spec managing procs is kind of dumb. Do this rotation except if these other things proc, then do them!

Vanilla is a different kind of dumb where there are no rotations for most specs. You just hit literally any ability that is off CD, because you spend more time auto-attacking than anything else. Also watch your auto-attack timer so abilities don't push it back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Signify View Post
    Calling it "awesome" is far fetched when it is so un-engaging..
    I don't mind it, but that's why i try to chose a class/ spec that has me engaged in the rotation to not be completely replaceable by a bot.
    Even in BFA there have been bots that can do 99 parses. At no time has WoW been complicated enough not to be done by a bot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Why some people just love talking shit about retail? sure you have simple 3-4 button rotations but at least the have some synergy together. Vanilla wow you get a bunch of buttons in your bar that have zero synergy together ending um in 1 button spam to maximize dps.
    Because they pressed their 3 buttons and got top damage on LFR and think they're good.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gratlim View Post
    Haha i love how haters name the 2 only specs with 1 key spam (ruin locks and early frost mage) and ignore the most popular combat rogues and fury warriors.
    Oh man the rogue rotation so tuffffffffff. Sinister Strike(or backstab if your guild can't afford to give you swords lmao) and keep SnD up and with higher gear levels you just might be able to use a filler instead of using all your CPs on keeping SnD up!

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Knowing that you're clicking probably tells us all we need to know.

But yes, every spec managing procs is kind of dumb. Do this rotation except if these other things proc, then do them!

Vanilla is a different kind of dumb where there are no rotations for most specs. You just hit literally any ability that is off CD, because you spend more time auto-attacking than anything else. Also watch your auto-attack timer so abilities don't push it back.
    Playing WoW for 15 years bad been using my mouse from start to hit each spell, is a hard habit to break. I go back to playing PC RPG's since the early 1990s.

Trying to use the keyboard is hard without looking at what your clicking, with so many different spells that need to be activated and other abilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unpopular take incoming:

I don't know if this is true or just timing but I've been toying with the idea for a while now that a piece of what players dislike about WoW's play style for some years now was the move away from--let's face it--simple rotations to a priority system mode of game play. I don't think it's the main thing. I don't even know if it's a thing as such but executing a rotation properly, with the occasional diversion to take advantage of a proc, is a simpler thing than managing a system where more-or-less random events are constantly arriving on your doorstep requiring a split second decision to take advantage of them. It's true that it's a form of whack-a-mole play. I don't know that I agree that it's simpler.

That said I miss the other parts of managing your character during a fight that Maudib mentioned: threat, mana and things that have been more or less factored out for QOL purposes.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-08-23 at 04:04 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

"Game deliberately slows me down so it must be harder".

Even the most faceroll specs on live like beast master are more complex then anything in classic was to play. Only being able to pull 1-2 mobs at a time while questing and having to stop to drink is not difficulty, all it's doing is slowing you down. Or in other words, wasting and not respecting your time.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2019-08-23 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Yeah, the extremely difficult task of "will my mana last? if yes cast full rank"
    Back then you might have needed to figure it out.

But in classic you'll just get a weakaura that will tell you how many casts you have left until OOM that factors in your mana regen rate and the boss's HP.

I mean you could literally write a downrank aura that would tell you which to do with reasonable accuracy.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Back then you might have needed to figure it out.

But in classic you'll just get a weakaura that will tell you how many casts you have left until OOM that factors in your mana regen rate and the boss's HP.

I mean you could literally write a downrank aura that would tell you which to do with reasonable accuracy.
    Back then healbot told you which rank to use, the same as any WA will now.

- - - Updated - - -

If you think Vanilla timing was tight I'm gonna wager you haven't done any serious raiding since classic period.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpling View Post
    Ah yes, the great retribution paladin rotation: 1, 2, 3, wait 30 seconds, repeat.

Truly the peak of game design. Or who could forget warlocks, with the complicated gameplay that comes from smashing the shadowbolt key until the boss falls over?
    If all you did was smash shadowbolt you were bad, take it from someone who cleared Naxx, it was really obvious who the good and bad locks were.