Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh Seems i missed something else, Apparently DARQ was a game that got off the ground due to Steams Green light and indieGoGo. You know that program that Steam has so Indie developers don't need a developer and can get support while seeing how much interest there actually is in their game.

As a side note, the developer of DARQ just released this small comment when someone inquired about its sales;

https://steamcommunity.com/app/43355...6768323445302/

"I'm very happy with how the game performed in the first week, thanks for asking!"

Guess if your game is good enough, you don't need an exclusive deal to save you.

Quote Originally Posted by dadev View Post
    What competition? GOG has been around for a lot more years than EGS. In fact every store front has been around for a lot more years than EGS.
    This entire overused argument that "Oh the EGS is new, give it time!! Steam took years to become as good as it is right now" is full of bullshit. Because using that logic, should we excuse a new console or a new game developer for releasing a game in 2019, with 2006 graphics and systems? FUCK no. It isn't 2006 anymore. Standards have risen FAR above what they used to be then, right now in 2019. If Epic somehow can't do it in 2019? Then tough shit---> Fuck off the storefront industry. Though Epic have all the resources under the fucking sun to bring their shit up to speed within a month if they wanted to. They just don't. People gotta stop using that as an excuse already. It's as asinine as an excuse could get.

And that point aside, there are several different reasons as to why people don't like Epic overall. The store being the worst steaming hot pile of garbage, is only one. They could honestly have THE best store front (which will probably objectively never happen), and I for one still wouldn't buy ANYTHING EVER from them. Now those reasons have been listed in boring details and in far too many other posts and other topics around these forums, for me to redo that here.

For some reason, dadev really reminds me of those cultists in Star Citizen thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Odintdk View Post
    And that point aside, there are several different reasons as to why people don't like Epic overall. The store being the worst steaming hot pile of garbage, is only one. They could honestly have THE best store front (which will probably objectively never happen), and I for one still wouldn't buy ANYTHING EVER from them. Now those reasons have been listed in boring details and in far too many other posts and other topics around these forums, for me to redo that here.
    In other words, the quality of the store is just an excuse. But do whatever you want to do, nobody forces you to do anything like buying video games.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    For some reason, dadev really reminds me of those cultists in Star Citizen thread.
    The feeling is mutual. People defend Valve and criticize Epic for all the wrong reasons and without having the smallest clue about the industry.

In other words, the quality of the store is just an excuse. But do whatever you want to do, nobody forces you to do anything like buying video games.
    You seem incapable of telling the difference between a (particular, objective reason out of many), and an "excuse". It's mind blowing, I know, but there CAN me multiple reasons to dislike something or someone. Unless you're actively trying to twist words in a way that fits your almost non existing argument here, which would be disingenuous, to say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem incapable of telling the difference between a (particular, objective reason out of many), and an "excuse". It's mind blowing, I know, but there CAN me multiple reasons to dislike something or someone. Unless you're actively trying to twist words in a way that fits your almost non existing argument here, which would be disingenuous, to say the least.
    Ignore and move on talking to others don't be baited in participating in thread derailment and lower yourself to the same level by resorting to insults and dishonest posting. It's an actual tactic, he lost the argument a while ago and buried himself when his final reply to me was among the lines of only he can see the real truth and is intelligent enough to understand it all, at that point you're better of face palming and laughing

Back on topic, as Stated previously developer seems to be very happy with the sales results thus far. What shows turning down the exclusive deal was a good choice when having a quality product and makes me question even further small indie developers that accept the deal.

I believe a person or small group of people getting a guaranteed pay out makes them care less about the post-launch development or even launch development quality as their product will make a return regardless. You would have to hope the person or group is motivated enough to keep making games afterwards.

So personally this is probably going to backfire quite a few times. A shame that Epic store has no user reviews, but shouldn't be too hard to find opinions from people on those exclusive titles released so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Back on topic, as Stated previously developer seems to be very happy with the sales results thus far. What shows turning down the exclusive deal was a good choice when having a quality product and makes me question even further small indie developers that accept the deal.

I believe a person or small group of people getting a guaranteed pay out makes them care less about the post-launch development or even launch development quality as their product will make a return regardless. You would have to hope the person or group is motivated enough to keep making games afterwards.

So personally this is probably going to backfire quite a few times. A shame that Epic store has no user reviews, but shouldn't be too hard to find opinions from people on those exclusive titles released so far.
    Yeah. I mean who could've guessed that launching a game on the platform where the actual PC community is (and by sheer fucking choice, as opposed to forced "monopoly"), would do better! I know for sure many devs are looking at this prime example and thinking twice before accepting any such offers. I mean hell, I'm starting to see this trend where during new game trailer announcements, the respective devs would vividly state that this is on PC and emphasize that they're releasing their games on STEAM, just to harness that good will, which consumers often like to reward by supporting said game.

The latest example was a couple of days ago during the ~2 hours Gamescom conference/event thing, where two of the devs working an upcoming game (RTS?) named "Iron Harvest", got on camera right after the trailer ended, and vividly stated that "It's coming to PC, and that ALSO means steam".

When you write that you will never buy something from somebody because he looked wrong to you, then that's just looking for an excuse. I bet 10$ you never checked the details of anything and just accepted what somebody wrote on the internet.

Ignore and move on talking to others don't be baited in participating in thread derailment and lower yourself to the same level by resorting to insults and dishonest posting. It's an actual tactic, he lost the argument a while ago and buried himself when his final reply to me was among the lines of only he can see the real truth and is intelligent enough to understand it all, at that point you're better of face palming and laughing
    The only one who claims he knows everything is you.
    First tries to claim that Epic offers only "mo money", while not having even the slightest integrity of checking into what they're actually offering.
    Completely disregard the history of the company.
    Then claim that Valve are not in the business of selling game engines, without even checking it.
    Brought MS into the discussion for some weird reason. Brought Linux into the discussion for some weird reason. Deflecting on both accounts.
    Then what was that about suggesting that people who work at Epic are incompetent? You're not familiar with their work, not with their contribution to the industry, and finally you probably don't even know them. And yet, here you are, suggesting that people working at Epic are incompetent.
    I'm not saying that only I can see things. I'm saying that either you're lacking basic integrity or just don't care.

Anyway, this doesn't really matter. I know my audience.
    I'll just continue making stuff, and you'll continue buying it. Deal? Yes? Thank you!

Have you see Sweeney, have you seen his episode of "cribs"? Do you really think he's a progressive?

But good on you to bring a completely random unrelated "SJW" thing in here, here have a cookie.

he seems to be a tech bro libertarian type, but to the anti sjw gaming channels he is the incarnation of marx, as is anyone who has any disagreement with trump

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    he seems to be a tech bro libertarian type, but to the anti sjw gaming channels he is the incarnation of marx, as is anyone who has any disagreement with trump
    He seems to be as hardcore capitalist as you can get. Overworking his employees, siding with the big companies and throwing money all around to crush the competition.
    I don't know if that counts as progressive or marxist today.

Epic would rather hire more rare talent, as long as they can, and that's what they do. A good engineer will learn how to build a store within some time (Valve's did), but a person who knows how to build stores will not learn how to build more complex stuff.
    Webshops are not really something exotic, they have been around for more than 20 years. You can download free webshops like Magento that have a lot more features than the epic store out of the box.
    Sorry, at this point it looks more like they don't want more features.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess if your game is good enough, you don't need an exclusive deal to save you.
    No you don't And no amount of people sucking Tim Sweeny's dick is going to prove otherwise. Epic games is not trying to "make the PC market better for everyone". They are trying to strong arm their way to the top by fucking everyone over that won't play ball. You either hand over exclusivity to them or you can get out. They get all the money or they get none. Darq as a game was good enough for their store but only after he said no to their deal did they decide to come out and say that the game wasn't good enough to be on the store.

There are tons of things wrong with EGS but will they use their fortnite money to fix them right now and try to salvage what little public image and good faith they have left? Nah. Fuck indie devs that won't sign our exclusivity deals.

Fuck having a shopping cart.
    Fuck pre-loading.
    Fuck having a community forum.
    Fuck player reviews.
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2019-08-23 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does anyone actually buy games from Steam anymore?

I haven't bought a game directly from Steam in like half a decade or more... Why would anyone buy games, especially new releases, directly from Steam when these days there are a dozen authorized (by publishers) sellers like GreenManGaming, Fanatical, and the like who will sell you a Steam key of new releases with a 15%-25% discount? And regularly have sales on older titles with discounts far in excess of the discounts offered by Steam?

Just curious because anywhere I see discussions about the Epic Shit Store, it devolves into people screeching about competition and Steam being an evil monopoly... Which has been like the exactly opposite of my experience... In addition to myself, I don't know anyone who buys games on Steam anymore unless the game is literally not offered for sale anywhere else (which is rare and usually only happens with 'smaller' games, like the game Mordhau recently, for example).

Steam as a game's DRM is incredibly common, but that doesn't make a game exclusive to the Steam store.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Does anyone actually buy games from Steam anymore?

I haven't bought a game directly from Steam in like half a decade or more... Why would anyone buy games, especially new releases, directly from Steam when these days there are a dozen authorized (by publishers) sellers like GreenManGaming, Fanatical, and the like who will sell you a Steam key of new releases with a 15%-25% discount? And regularly have sales on older titles with discounts far in excess of the discounts offered by Steam?

Just curious because anywhere I see discussions about the Epic Shit Store, it devolves into people screeching about competition and Steam being an evil monopoly... Which has been like the exactly opposite of my experience... In addition to myself, I don't know anyone who buys games on Steam anymore unless the game is literally not offered for sale anywhere else (which is rare and usually only happens with 'smaller' games, like the game Mordhau recently, for example).

Steam as a game's DRM is incredibly common, but that doesn't make a game exclusive to the Steam store.
    This is fully detailed in these 2 articles:

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-may-de...orth-the-cost/

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...am-game-sales/

The TL&DR version of this: Valve takes the hit on these cheaper steam keys sold on 3rd party websites, yet they supply those keys themselves.
    Last edited by Odintdk; 2019-08-24 at 12:12 AM.

without having the smallest clue about the industry.
    Rich coming from you and your constant posts of not knowing what you are talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    He seems to be as hardcore capitalist as you can get. Overworking his employees, siding with the big companies and throwing money all around to crush the competition.
    I don't know if that counts as progressive or marxist today.

Webshops are not really something exotic, they have been around for more than 20 years. You can download free webshops like Magento that have a lot more features than the epic store out of the box.
    Sorry, at this point it looks more like they don't want more features.
    It's never been about actually competing. It's all been about hurting Valve.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/433...25372618106883

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Thank you!
    The amount of support DARQ has received from the community has been incredible. I didn't expect my blog post (Why I turned down exclusivity deal from the Epic Store[medium.com]) to result in so much good will and support. Please know that I don't take any of it for granted and I'm truly grateful. Unfold Games will always be on the side of its customers.

Upcoming Patch
    We've been working on a patch that will add support for more controllers and fix a few bugs. Big Thank You to the community for providing feedback and reporting issues, as well as your patience - the patch should be out in a few days.

Surprise Announcement
    The feedback we've received has been overwhelmingly positive, which is a dream come true for a first-time developer. Something that has been mentioned quite a lot since the launch is that DARQ could use a few extra levels. Message received! I'm excited to announce that we're planning to release additional levels for DARQ later this year. To acknowledge all the support we've received from the community and express our grattitude, DARQ DLC's will be available for free.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Ok that is even a bigger finger to epic store.
    Hopefully more people will do this in future.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/433...25372618106883

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Thank you!
    The amount of support DARQ has received from the community has been incredible. I didn't expect my blog post (Why I turned down exclusivity deal from the Epic Store[medium.com]) to result in so much good will and support. Please know that I don't take any of it for granted and I'm truly grateful. Unfold Games will always be on the side of its customers.

Upcoming Patch
    We've been working on a patch that will add support for more controllers and fix a few bugs. Big Thank You to the community for providing feedback and reporting issues, as well as your patience - the patch should be out in a few days.

Surprise Announcement
    The feedback we've received has been overwhelmingly positive, which is a dream come true for a first-time developer. Something that has been mentioned quite a lot since the launch is that DARQ could use a few extra levels. Message received! I'm excited to announce that we're planning to release additional levels for DARQ later this year. To acknowledge all the support we've received from the community and express our grattitude, DARQ DLC's will be available for free.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Ok that is even a bigger finger to epic store.
    Hopefully more people will do this in future.
    Show good will to the community that consists of your consumers, get support. Such an easy concept. And a genuinely nice follow up gesture from this dev giving free DLC as a result. Hope that some more will indeed follow suit.

Show good will to the community that consists of your consumers, get support. Such an easy concept. And a genuinely nice follow up gesture from this dev giving free DLC as a result. Hope that some more will indeed follow suit.
    I'd forgotten about this game already. I added it to my wishlist when I heard this story just to keep track of it when the dev mentioned how much the wishlisting meant to him. It doesn't look like the sort of game that appeals to me, but its entirely possible I'll purchase it at some point down the line.

But yeah, Epic's being Epic. They have no interest in helping developers or the development of games. They simply want to cherrypick developed games after others have undertaken the initial work and risk involved in getting games to market, and then denying access to those games unless the consumer agrees to their preconditions.

The feeling is mutual. People defend Valve and criticize Epic for all the wrong reasons and without having the smallest clue about the industry.
    Why should i? I couldn't care less about the industry, i don't work in it.
    As a consumer i want bug-free games at cheap prices with the best possible service. Publishers want the opposite. Ideally we meet in the middle. That's all i have to know about the industry. I don't care how the sausage is made.