Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Moadar View Post
    Anyone know how any of this affects hong Kong? My beautiful Milwaukee tools are owned by techtronic industries which is in hong Kong.
    True as of today, under the 1992 U.S./Hong Kong Policy Act, Hong Kong enjoys special trade status which exempts it from any restrictions placed on mainland China. Another factor why China has not send troops to quell the protests in Hong Kong. Hong Kong and China are actually independent World Trade Organization members. Weird but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    True as of today, under the 1992 U.S./Hong Kong Policy Act, Hong Kong enjoys special trade status which exempts it from any restrictions placed on mainland China. Another factor why China has not send troops to quell the protests in Hong Kong. Hong Kong and China are actually independent World Trade Organization members. Weird but true.
    Huh, I didn't know that. I knew Hong Kong had a special and unique status within China, but I didn't realize that extended beyond its borders.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought India was trying to take Chinas place as the manufacture crap cheap here country.
    Possibly, but it would be theoretically cheaper shipping and a better long-game goal to shift our production to mexico, would it not?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Huh, I didn't know that. I knew Hong Kong had a special and unique status within China, but I didn't realize that extended beyond its borders.
    Yep. Hong Kong is the only City in China where there are no restrictions on foreign banks. Hong Kong dollar is pegged to US dollar, not Chinese Yuan.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, I'm getting a sensible chuckle from thinking about how the GOP would have fucking exploded had Obama said anything along the lines of "I hereby order..."

10+ Year Old Account
    The press should ask him if that means he's going to have his shitty clothing brands made in the US now or not.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Possibly, but it would be theoretically cheaper shipping and a better long-game goal to shift our production to mexico, would it not?
    Probably. We already have cars manufactured there I think.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Probably. We already have cars manufactured there I think.
    Aye, the best parts of capitalism adhere to the old words "A rising tide lifts all ships". By helping their economy, we stem the tide of illegal immigrants, take some small measure of human capital away from the cartels, and bring our own worker's rights forward because now the option of hiring undocumented labor is significantly smaller which improves the market in favor of the worker.
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    Not enough mid-level engineers which are essential in the operation of automated factories. Only two countries in the world produced mid-level engineers in sufficient quantity to meet US high tech manufacturing requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's no way to approach it because it's meaningless.
    Yes I agree. But the sentiment - that the US should wind down it's economic relationship with China ASAP - is correct.

The free trading interconnected world the 90s gave birth to are are over and they aren't coming back. What the folks seeing the world purely economic lenses need to realize is that power, control and security historically have always superseded economic imperatives, and they're doing so again here.

The world is to be carved into basically two domains: the Chinese one and the American one. And between them is a weak international order. But the domains must have rigorously enforced edges to them and trying to straddle the two, or go from one to the other, must be made nearly impossible.

Big picture: the United States should not be in an economic relationship with the country seeking and actively doing the most to threaten the liberal world order.

If that means a weaker economy, less growth and poorer Americans... yeah that's just the way it is. The liberal world order won't be sold out so Americans can enjoy cheap televisions.

Donald Trump's an imbecile. But this process of economic decoupling should have happened back in 2005. American businesses got addicted to the easy money and easy growth China gave them.

The party is over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    All he really had to say was "Buy American" (products actually made in America). That's a pretty easy concept and something everyone can get behind.
    That would be a good sentiment.

But you have to remember that, whenever Donald Trump steps up to the mic (or tweet, as it were) you have to expect that the following sentences are going to be the dumbest possible thing one could say on the subject.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The world is to be carved into basically two domains: the Chinese one and the American one.
    So... basically the Two domains are North America and the rest of the world then?

Because you're a damn fool for thinking all of Europe, Australia and Japan are going to give up on China and "Go American" when we've got jack shit for economic advantages to give them over China. Location ALONE gives them the greatest advantage alone being central to everything.

They shouldn't do things that would harm the U.S. economy. A better alternative is to do things like halting student visas from China to American universities which would put pressure on the Chinese elite.

Yes I agree. But the sentiment - that the US should wind down it's economic relationship with China ASAP - is correct.

The free trading interconnected world the 90s gave birth to are are over and they aren't coming back. What the folks seeing the world purely economic lenses need to realize is that power, control and security historically have always superseded economic imperatives, and they're doing so again here.

The world is to be carved into basically two domains: the Chinese one and the American one. And between them is a weak international order. But the domains must have rigorously enforced edges to them and trying to straddle the two, or go from one to the other, must be made nearly impossible.

Big picture: the United States should not be in an economic relationship with the country seeking and actively doing the most to threaten the liberal world order.

If that means a weaker economy, less growth and poorer Americans... yeah that's just the way it is. The liberal world order won't be sold out so Americans can enjoy cheap televisions.

Donald Trump's an imbecile. But this process of economic decoupling should have happened back in 2005. American businesses got addicted to the easy money and easy growth China gave them.

The party is over.
    The party is indeed over... For the USA it maybe, seriously, if they didn't sent there industry over to China to take advantage of the work force and industry over there to make more profits, then the USA wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. But no, profits matter more and there isn't much loyalty when compared to greater profits.

The big picture is simply that the USA would have to take it like it is and suffer the consequences for such thoughtless actions in the first place. If the USA ever got its manufacturing back and did make goods again and had to sell at a higher price due to costs, really would we have to buy american if there are cheap alternatives from else where that function in similar capacity. Really if the fundamental problem of the wealthy getting wealthier and the poorer becoming so poor that 2-3 jobs being done cannot provide for there families, there will be no future for this country

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I'm sure the usual Freedom!!! types will be along any moment now to criticise this.
    I doubt they will. I notice when the stock market tanks 500+ points on a tweet from god king they all take "vacation" until it goes up 200 or so points and just start blaming Obama for the loss and going on about how Trump is doing what he can after being given a bad hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump can barely get people to follow his EOs.

Silly Trimp, you have no authority behind this order.

LOL.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The lack of brain cells in regards to this president is astounding. If the economy crashed during his term, most people will see him as the primary suspect with the ones really responsible laughing it up to the bank

The party is over.
    You seem very pessimistic about America's future.

On the other hand don't underestimate Europe. Marginalizing the EU will push Europe to be more aligned with China than the US, so this is bad strategically. From a practical note, the GDP of Europe is quite high, and Europe is not going away. While a lot of the influence that the US is losing is going to China, quite a bit of it is going to Europe. And Europe is showing that it can act independently of the US, and even do the opposite of what the US wants it to do at times.

I agree with your pessimism about the future of America. I can see a situation arising where Europe and China are the two major power centers of the world, with India and the US being strong enough to be counterweights to their power.

The party is over.

good luck getting wage increases to pay for any decupling and good luck getting Americans to pay more for goods...I mean wayyyyyyyy more....they just do not care.

Till corporations are put back in their place as just that, corporations.....and out of politics...we are fucked

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    good luck getting wage increases to pay for any decupling and good luck getting Americans to pay more for goods...I mean wayyyyyyyy more....they just do not care.

Till corporations are put back in their place as just that, corporations.....and out of politics...we are fucked
    Two posters on this site have said basically that the upcoming economic war with China will require economic sacrifices from US workers, and that this is acceptable to them. Sorry your grandma died - at least Chinese grandmothers are dying faster than yours did!