Thread: Hunter Pets

5+ Year Old Account

Hunter Pets

My question is about Hunter pets. I've read that pets were different and handled differently at 2 different times in Vanilla. With the current Classic patch, do pets still have their very unique abilities and everything else?

I read that they became more streamlined like they are currently.

Thanks.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Hunter pets in classic are nothing like what they are today in BfA.

I suggest reading this guide: https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/c...ow-hunter-pets

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Hunter pets in classic are nothing like what they are today in BfA.

I suggest reading this guide: https://classic.wowhead.com/guides/c...ow-hunter-pets
    Thanks for the response. I just read that pets were handled differently based on different Vanilla patches. Is that correct?
    ― Ronald Regan

Certain rare-spawn pets were treated differently pre-1.12. One was a cat that had shadow damage. That will not exist in the game when Classic launches.

There is still at least one pet I know of that has a 1.0 attack speed (fastest pet attack speed in the game) in 1.12. His name is Broken Claw and he's in the Badlands.

Quote Originally Posted by treN- View Post
    Certain rare-spawn pets were treated differently pre-1.12. One was a cat that had shadow damage. That will not exist in the game when Classic launches.

There is still at least one pet I know of that has a 1.0 attack speed (fastest pet attack speed in the game) in 1.12. His name is Broken Claw and he's in the Badlands.
    If my understanding is correct... pet attack speed normalization would have actually occurred prior to 1.12

One was a cat that had shadow damage.
    Wolf.

https://classicdb.ch/?npc=521

Broken Tooth.

https://classicdb.ch/?npc=2850

and yeah every single hunter is going to be camping the fuck out of him for that 1.0 attack speed, however it's only useful in PvP, he kinda sucks in PvE.

Once ZG is released you can get 1.0 attack speed bats from there.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    If my understanding is correct... pet attack speed normalization would have actually occurred prior to 1.12
    No, pets still have different attack speeds even in 1.12, IIRC. But they still do the same overall DPS regardless of their attack speed. (faster attack speed does less damage per hit, lower attack speed does more damage per hit, etc)

The MOVEMENT speed of pets was normalized in 1.9. This is the same patch that nerfed Lupos by making all pets deal physical damage. There were a few rare mob pets that moved faster than normal pets.

Attack speed normalization was the TBC pre-patch.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-08-24 at 02:28 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Good to see that there is still variety to pets. So it is my understanding that just about every pet can be different correct? And some are better for certain things?
    ― Ronald Regan

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Good to see that there is still variety to pets. So it is my understanding that just about every pet can be different correct? And some are better for certain things?
    Correct. Pets with Screech, for example, are good aoe tanks.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Basically you'll want a wolf or a wind serpent for pve and a high attack speed pet for pvp, the best being brokentooth.

The zg bats have the same attackspeed but they don't have prowl. It's very handy especially if you're playing a night elf because you can stealth alongside your pet

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Broken Tooth.

https://classicdb.ch/?npc=2850

and yeah every single hunter is going to be camping the fuck out of him for that 1.0 attack speed, however it's only useful in PvP, he kinda sucks in PvE.
    He is also best pet for BM and best dmg pet for PvE aswell if your raid uses Gift of Arthas as debuff (small dps increase over a 1.2 Cat). However you could probably make a case for using Wolf as Raidpet for the Furious Howl buff.

Far from sucking in PvE. Really great for PvP against casters. I probably try Scorpid for premade pvp tho for protecting my vipers from dispells.
    Last edited by lonely zergling; 2019-08-24 at 06:16 PM.