Page 1 of 38
... LastLast

LFG Addons limited Classic WoW (confirmed by blue post)

We’ve been closely following the community discussion around this add-on for WoW Classic, as well as analyzing it to make sure we understand how it works. After careful examination, we believe the nature of ClassicLFG is incompatible with our social design for Classic. Thus, in an upcoming patch (in the weeks following launch), we will be adding restrictions to the Classic add-on API that will significantly limit this add-on and others like it.

In line with what we shared at BlizzCon last year, we intend to be very careful about allowing add-on functionality that might undermine aspects of the social dynamics that are core to the Classic experience, even in cases like this where it’s clear that the addon author had no ill intent and was simply trying to provide a service to the Classic community. Ultimately, if a streamlined group-finding system was something we considered compatible with Classic, we would have kept the modern Premade Group Finder tool rather than choosing to remove it from the Classic client.

It’s difficult to articulate a clear-cut rule for exactly when an add-on crosses the line. However, when an add-on goes beyond presenting information or providing aesthetic customization, and attempts to create an interconnected social network that relies on other players also using that same add-on, we are likely to scrutinize it particularly closely.
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...crater-illidan

I'm fairly indifferent to the whole LFG add-on drama, but I definitely understand the why of their decision. And I suppose it's better for the game and the classic experience overall. Mind you, I didn't actually expect them to take a stand, so that's cool too.

I'm curious how they plan on breaking this. If it's the way addons can talk to each other, that's going to break A LOT more than just LFG.

I'm honestly impressed by the classic team, they've been very reactive to community feedback.

The language about creating social networks that require other players to have the addon is interesting. Does the Retail game still allow roleplay addons that make an in-character text description and biography visible to other players that have the same addon? Will those addons not work in Classic? Because what Blizz just posted is a pretty good description of how they work and what they’re for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow.

People really did lose their shit over an addon.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

There's a good chance if they stop addons from talking to each other invisibly that yes, something like roleplay addons will get broken.

I mean, who really thought they'd let an lfg addon slip into Classic? I guess if you JUST hopped on the hype train and didn't read anything for the past year, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by KyleEverett View Post
    There's a good chance if they stop addons from talking to each other invisibly that yes, something like roleplay addons will get broken.
    You don't think the people who made the game know what they're doing? We're not talking about design philosophy, but the engineering side.

All the people saying "addons were in vanilla lol," I actually am happy that they have to eat their words here.

They didn't say they are breaking the addon, they said they are LIMITING it.
    My guess is that they will disable spec/talent reading and autoinvites.
    Group listing will stay, which is a blessing when LFG chat will scroll faster than Asmongolds twitch chat.

Good! Classic as Classic should be....LFG is a global channel. No need for addons.
    If you need addons to play a game, maybe you should just stick to checkers.
    In a world of deceit, open your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    All the people saying "addons were in vanilla lol," I actually am happy that they have to eat their words here.
    Yeah idk why people think just because an addon existed in vanilla it has to be allowed in classic. By that logic they should also enable oldschool Decursive and Healbot again.

If this breaks the invite features of raid assist add-ons, as a result of a panic over an add-on that never saw any actual use, I'll be most amused.

If raid assist add-ons can still invite, you can basically make this again using chat channels.

Also it does not say all lfg add-ons are banned. They specifically say that it's difficult to state a clear rule on where the line is. Expect some more add-ons in this space that test where that difficult to draw line will sit.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2019-08-24 at 01:10 AM.

They'll find a work around-it's really not that difficult if they can program an addon like this in the first place. No difference between this addon and a discord community imo.

Quote Originally Posted by RayenDark View Post
    They'll find a work around-it's really not that difficult if they can program an addon like this in the first place. No difference between this addon and a discord community imo.
    There's an ENORMOUS difference between this and a discord community lmao. A discord community would have a fraction of a fraction of people this addon would've reached simply by being in the actual game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozu View Post
    There's an ENORMOUS difference between this and a discord community lmao. A discord community would have a fraction of a fraction of people this addon would've reached simply by being in the actual game.
    Nope, you don't have to use the addon-no one was going to force you. They couldn't use it if the addon wasn't installed.
    If someone wants to use it-fine. It doesn't affect -your- gameplay.

At the end of the day-who cares? Play the game how you want-why does how someone else plays bother you? It's none of your business.

Quote Originally Posted by RayenDark View Post
    At some point you initiate an arms race against Blizzard. If they keep trying to find workarounds, Blizzard will just keep breaking more and more stuff.

Also, I don't think discord can read the in-game chat channels and organize it...I'm not sure where you're drawing the similarity here. The problem with systems outside the game is not everyone is using it (and I'd wager it wouldn't be a lot of people using it in general)

The best solution was/is/always will be guild chat and player created chat channels.

Full on pugging will always be inferior, and should be moved away from asap.

The difference between an addon and some discord is a giant one.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleEverett View Post
    Yeah, going to be pretty pissed if whining autists get MRP broken.