Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

"You're just trying to relive your childhood"

All the time, I see people throwing around these bizarre and nonsensical reasons why Classic will "fail" and everyone will quit. You know the ones, "rose tinted glasses", "it's just nostalgia", "you're just trying to relive your childhood" and such. Like....is it impossible to simply enjoy a videogame? Not everything needs to have some deep, psychological ulterior motive behind it.

I'm not "trying to relive my childhood" or any bullshit like that; I didn't even start playing WoW until I was 19. I'm playing Classic because...y'know, it's a fun game and I enjoy it. That's it. No "rose tinted glasses", no "reliving childhood", it's just a fun game that I enjoy and want to play. What's so bad about that?

These kinds of arguments sound even more ridiculous when you apply it to other things:

"Queen's music sucks, you're just nostalgic about it"
    "You really don't like Queen, you're just trying to relive your childhood"
    "Their music is way worse than modern bands, people only liked it because it was new and there was nothing better"
    "Why do you want to listen to Queen again? You already listened to them 15 years ago, it's not going to be any different"
    "Everyone is going to stop listening to Queen when they remember how bad the music is"
    "Listening to Queen is not going to bring you back to being a child again"
    "There's no new albums, you can't listen to the same music forever"

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? And yet, people spew these same exact arguments against Classic on a daily basis.

Even stranger still is why people shit all over Classic for these reasons, yet "HD remakes" of other videogames get endless praise. You don't see anyone saying "it's just nostalgia, the game sucks, you're just trying to relive your childhood" in response to the Crash/Spyro trilogy HD remakes. So why is Classic any different?

I've never seen so many people getting so irrationally angry over an old game being re-released.

To be fair, Queen does suck, at least in my opinion. Not his voice, he was talented, but his music sucks a lot. It cried of emotional neediness, literally, and when it didn't, the songs were so awfully eccentric I can't imagine how most people could relate to it. Again, just me. But I get the analogy.

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia. It's why Classic is so heavily anticipated. People hating on Classic are just like me hating on Queen. They're not interested in re-living the past anymore than I want to listen to Queen or Metallica (God "Enter The Sandman" hasn't aged well.) Just ignore it and enjoy what you will, you have as much right to do so as people have a right to their opinions, even if they may seem bone-headed or idiotic to you.

Nice.

However, here is one instance where it does work.

"Masters of The Universe sucks, you're just nostalgic about it."

I loved it as a kid, but that shitty cartoon was only created to push more toys off the shelf and into the hands of gullible parents for their snotty children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    To be fair, Queen does suck, at least in my opinion. Not his voice, he was talented, but his music sucks a lot. It cried of emotional neediness, literally, and when it didn't, the songs were so awfully eccentric I can't imagine how most people could relate to it. Again, just me. But I get the analogy.

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia. It's why Classic is so heavily anticipated. People hating on Classic are just like me hating on Queen. They're not interested in re-living the past anymore than I want to listen to Queen or Metallica (God "Enter The Sandman" hasn't aged well.) Just ignore it and enjoy what you will, you have as much right to do so as people have a right to their opinions, even if they may seem bone-headed or idiotic to you.
    It's not so much the "not liking classic" as it is the whole "coming up with a laundry list of reasons why Classic is bad and will fail and you are all stupid for liking it" that I'm confused by. Like, these people are convinced that it's impossible to simply enjoy a videogame, no, you're "trying to relive your childhood" or "blinded by nostalgia" or some other buzzword reason.

Not liking classic, sure, fine, go ahead. Crying that Classic is going to "fail" and projecting a bunch of armchair-psychologist shit onto its fans, no, kindly fuck off.
    Last edited by anon5123; 2019-08-24 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    Nice.

I loved it as a kid, but that shitty cartoon was only created to push more toys off the shelf and into the hands of gullible parents for their snotty children.
    Just because the cartoon was a big ass toy commercial didn't make it awful. The Joel Schumacher Batman movies were much worse 90 minute toy commercials. I respect what those animators did back then bringing 50+ episodes of Masters of the Universe to life back then. For its time it was very good, no worse than Challenge of the Super Friends or Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends.

Respect.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    It's not so much the "not liking classic" as it is the whole "coming up with a laundry list of reasons why Classic is bad and will fail and you are all stupid for liking it" that I'm confused by.

Like, these people are convinced that it's impossible to simply enjoy a videogame, no, you're "trying to relive your childhood" or "blinded by nostalgia" or some other buzzword reason.
    Well they're unreasonable dick heads to begin with anyway, so trying to make sense of their stance is a waste of time. That's pretty much the answer. "They're haters." Like the anti High-elf crowd over in the awful mega thread that won't die. It's just players who take their games way too seriously and their argument is "well Ion agrees, so we must be right lulz" thanks to o' Dead Fish Eye Ion who is a gamer who takes his shit too seriously that happened to be promoted to a position of power. Other people not having fun is what brings them joy, as the old saying, misery loves company.

Like, these people are convinced that it's impossible to simply enjoy a videogame, no, you're "trying to relive your childhood" or "blinded by nostalgia" or some other buzzword reason.
    To be fair, some people actually can't understand the appeal of Classic and genuinely believe it's a rose-tinted glasses situation. Sometimes it's not hostility, it's just a matter of different taste to the extreme, though I don't think they should then take it upon themselves to convince Classic fans of their own feelings.

I think the folk that want either version of the game to fail for the sake of their favorite version of the game being some kind of winner are ridiculous, but people who just don't get the other side are understandable.

I was 25 in 2006, and while i have some good memories from those days its would not compare to going back to playing super nintendo with my cousins late at night at my grandpas. Classic to many people is just a better game than current, and i think many of its core systems hold up 15 years later, something i am fully expecting to be shown during the coming months in classic

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is nostalgia considered a bad word? I go back and replay old games all the time. Hell, the NES and SNES Classic Edition systems sold like fucking hot cakes so I know it's not just me. People have made successful careers on YouTube replaying old games and offering commentary or criticism. I'm not sure how the WoW fandom took it on itself to decide nostalgia is bad, but I got suckered into that line of thinking before really thinking about it--how is Classic any different in practice from me going back and replaying Chrono Trigger for the 1076th time? And that quickly turned my opinion on the project in a neat 180.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    how is Classic any different in practice from me going back and replaying Chrono Trigger for the 1076th time? And that quickly turned my opinion on the project in a neat 180.
    No idea. People don't bat an eye when they say they like Morrowind more than Skyrim, but how fucking dare you like Classic over BfA.

Humans are dumb.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

okay but queen does suck

I'm not "trying to relive my childhood" or any bullshit like that; I didn't even start playing WoW until I was 19.
    ...now that's comedy gold right there! ^_^

Reminds me of the Twilight parody in Supernatural

Handsome Vampire: "You sure you want to be with me?"
    Female Victim: "I'm 17, I'm not a kid anymore, I can make up my own mind!"
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2019-08-24 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elrihm View Post
    No idea. People don't bat an eye when they say they like Morrowind more than Skyrim, but how fucking dare you like Classic over BfA.

Humans are dumb.
    You just blew my mind...

Nice.

Reminds me of when in the mid-90s Speed Racer was getting a ton of Nonstalgae hype.

Then they released them on VHS and DVD to capitalize on that.

A few weeks later, utter silence...

about 2 years later, the parodies started happening in cartoons and such.

Your MotU reference reminds me of going back to watch the old '85 Voltron I was a massive fan of so many many years ago. Holy HELL that did not age well at all! >_<

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Reminds me of when in the mid-90s Speed Racer was getting a ton of Nonstalgae hype.

Then they released them on VHS and DVD to capitalize on that.

A few weeks later, utter silence...

about 2 years later, the parodies started happening in cartoons and such.

Your MotU reference reminds me of going back to watch the old '85 Voltron I was a massive fan of so many many years ago. Holy HELL that did not age well at all! >_<
    I remember thinking Star Blazers was the bomb. Now, I cringe when I see it.

nah I'm just trying to replay a game from my childhood

My personal opinion incoming.

Honestly the biggest issue I have seen lately is people sitting and bashing people for wanting to play retail instead of classic.

I never liked Vanilla, it lacked a lot of things TBC added which made the game great so I am not really gonna play classic but goodluck to those that want to.

It isn't really one sides fault as both sides are being extremely toxic but my personal opinion I find it quite frustrating to have people sitting on retail and just trashtalk it I mean if you really hate it... STOP PLAYING for god's sake.

But I also agree that people do bash Classic way too much as well.

But in the end this is two sides of same coin, both sides being extremely toxic just as you said ''Classic is just nostalgia trip'' we have shitloads of threads such as ''Classic gonna kill retail''.

In the end just play whatever you want to play and be happy, I am just happy that Classic players going to sponsor retail so it gets more money so I do not feel like I am losing out anything on Classic being released quite the opposite I hope all the Retail haters finally quit so we can get some peace between Retail vs Classic war in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    To be fair, Queen does suck, at least in my opinion. Not his voice, he was talented, but his music sucks a lot. It cried of emotional neediness, literally, and when it didn't, the songs were so awfully eccentric I can't imagine how most people could relate to it. Again, just me. But I get the analogy
    LOL

I know most things in life are subjective...

But this... LOL

Good one bro.
    <Multipass>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gd8 View Post
    okay but queen does suck
    .....ok I guess

Nice.

There probably needs to be more of a distinction between nostalgia and childhood nostalgia here. A cartoon designed with a very narrow age group in mind (ages 5 to 10 years) is very different to an online video game designed for a broad range of ages including adults.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Queen's music sucks, you're just nostalgic about it"
    anyone who says this needs a good spanking.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance