Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Dev Interview - Launch Day Login Experience, New Classic Realms

Developer Interview - Launch Day Login Experience
    Forbes has an interview with Ion Hazzikostas about layering and launch day.

• Layering is the lesser of several evils when it comes to handling launch week populations.
    • Many people have been waiting for this launch for years and are committed to the long haul, but there will also be tons of tourists checking it out at launch.
    • The team is predicting a fairly steep drop off compared to the interest players are showing on launch day.
    • Community is very important in Classic, so keeping the number of realms reasonable to ensure a healthy population is important.
    • The team really really wants to avoid having to offer transfers or merging Classic realms later.
    • Raising player caps on realms could be done but causes contention for finite spawn points and leads to bottlenecks.
    • When you log in, you'll be assigned to a layer and will stay there for that gameplay session.
    • The only way to change layers will be accepting a group invite from a player in another layer. Once you move to that new layer, that'll be your new layer for the gameplay session.
    • The team expects to aggressively reduce the number of layers after the first few days.
    • As the team goes into Phase 2, the goal is to have just one layer per realm.
    • Layers will be removed with realm restarts or during maintenance.

US and Oceanic - New WoW Classic Realms are Now Open
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Due to very high demand, we’ve opened two new WoW Classic realms in this region:

Ashkandi - Normal - Eastern
    Kirtonos - PvP - Eastern
    Rattlegore - PvP - Pacific
    Kurinnaxx – PvP - Pacific
    Kromcrush – PvP – Eastern
    Yojamba - PvP - AEST

We suggest that players choosing a realm consider one of these, as other realms currently marked as “Full” population will experience extended queues.

Thank you!

EU - New WoW Classic Realms Enabled
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Due to extremely high demand, we’ve established the following new WoW Classic realms in this region:

Stonespine – PvP - EN-EU
    Noggenfogger – PvP – EN-EU

We suggest that players choosing a realm consider one of these, as the other realms currently marked as “Full” population will experience queues.

Thank you!

i never sat in a 4.5 hour queue in classic

"Community is very important in Classic, so keeping the number of realms reasonable to ensure a healthy population is important."

Aka, the issues players are currently having should simply be viewed as a necessary evil for a healthy future.
    Yet the outcry is severe.

Why does EU only get one more server when we've got bigger queues than the US despite US peak hour?

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    "Community is very important in Classic, so keeping the number of realms reasonable to ensure a healthy population is important."

Aka, the issues players are currently having should simply be viewed as a necessary evil for a healthy future.
    Yet the outcry is severe.

Except they are adding new servers anyways.

I don't understand the logic.

Quote Originally Posted by dkderek View Post
    Except they are adding new servers anyways.

I don't understand the logic.
    Based on the quote, it means “we don’t want to release a bunch of servers for only a handful to be needed a week later”.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Based on the quote, it means “we don’t want to release a bunch of servers for only a handful to be needed a week later”.

Except they are constantly adding new servers, to meet the demands of people on launch day.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by greenn View Post

We also didn't have an unlimited supply of accounts available at day 1. I very clearly recall WoW being sold out in a lot of areas in the first few weeks, mostly because Blizzard didn't expect such a high demand.

Quote Originally Posted by greenn View Post

You do not play WoW for a long time already, dont you?

There is no single launch blizzard did not wreck.
    Rinse and repeat. For the rewards. Send even more turtles into the water.

Played since launch, got booted 8 minutes ago and now I'm told to wait in a queue.

Fuck this. Pathetic fail Blizzard.

"Extended Queue Times" does not equal 5+ hour queues, there is absolutely no reason for queues to be that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post

Except of course the fairly smooth launches of the past few expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by barbalion View Post
    "Extended Queue Times" does not equal 5+ hour queues, there is absolutely no reason for queues to be that long.
    Of course there is. 95% of people are going to be gone within a week.

No queues on Hydraxian Waterlords (EU/RP) earlier this evening. Logged in, got bored killing kobolds, logged off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post

Except the last two launches. Facts straight before posting please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Logged in, got bored killing kobolds, logged off.
    Classic summed up in one sentence everyone!

Lots of QQ comments... how about gtfo?

Quote Originally Posted by barbalion View Post
    You replied to a thread that is literally about the reasons. It's like you randomly found this thread and just posted. Why would you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Why does EU only get one more server when we've got bigger queues than the US despite US peak hour?
    There are 4 pvp/pve servers marked as "low", you wont have any queue if you roll on one of those. Just be smart, not stupid.

You guys behave as if this is Black Friday. You kept waiting till the gates opened and you "tried" to rush inside whining and complaining blizz.
    Unlike you, i feel happy that I won the bet that the launch will be like a battlefield.