Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Has the Sunstrider family died out completely?

I had a passing thought while I was out for a walk earlier today about the status of the Sunstrider Family and Lorthe'mar firmly turning down repeated proposals to become King of Quel'Thalas by default. I know he's said he doesn't want the title of King and avoids sitting on the throne as a statement but no one would both pass on something like that AND not step down as Regent Lord without a really good reason.

I have three running theories of why and a huge problem with all of them:

Advisors Need to Vote on a New Permanent Leader

If I remember right, Lorthe'mar told Halduron he'll happily step down once the powers that be choose someone to become Ruler of Silvermoon. That was waaaaay back after the end of Burning Crusade. The thing is, it's been about 5 or 8 years since then. I can understand partisan infighting and disagreements but 5+ years later and still no new Leader makes no sense. I did account for Kael'Thas' decree his father Anasterian would be the last King of Silvermoon in name so another title like Emperor or something could be used.

A Sunstrider Family Member survived the Scourge Invasion + The Burning Crusade

It's certainly a possability and I scoured Wowpedia to see if I may have overlooked a Sunstrider other than Kael'Thas and Lyandra (Undead and Killable during Fire Mage Artifact Quest). If Anasterian had any children, siblings, nieces/nephews other than Kael'Thas at the time of the Scourge Invasion, we don't know. Assuming he did, the obvious next question is did any (aside from Kael'Thas and Lyandra) survive which again, we don't know. Too many unknown unknowns there.

Blizz left this area ambiguous unintentionally but now, it could be used to pull a long lost Sunstrider out of thin air and it would be believeble. If this actually does happen, Blizz can explain their absence prior to their WoW debut in some way that would be pretty understandable but would fit with known lore. They would have to have survived the Scourge Invasion of Quel'Thalas obviously. Which means they either weren't there at the time like Kael'Thas (he was in Dalaran), they kept hidden or they were long thought dead. As long as it makes sense and fits the timeline, it could work. Hell, it could be revealed a Sunstrider is among the Void Elves for all we know. I assume records of the Sunstrider Family line is well documented in Silvermoon City.

There is a living heir to the throne but s/he is not yet of age

Not quite the same as above though again, it would have to be someone previously unknown. A child who could claim the throne would preferably be sired by Anasterian, Kael'Thas or another currently unknown member of the main family. A branch family member could claim the throne by default like Lyandra was looking to do when the right conditions are met. Like above, they would have to have survived the Scourge Invasion.

They would be recorded somewhere in Silvermoon City though there is one situation where that might not happen: If the child is a illegitimate. As in the child's mother is a concubine, prostitute, commoner or non-Sindorei. Chances of that last one would be pretty slim after The Second War and even more so after the Scourge Invasion. Royals living away from their homeland for an extended period tend to either renounce their claim to the throne, want nothing to do with that life or were exiled (and their claim to the throne stripped). So even if they had a child, unless the parent still retained claim to the throne it wouldn't matter.

Usually in an illegitimate child situation though, the mother either flees the country and keeps the identity of the child's father a closely guarded secret to protect their life or abandons the child to protect them both. If Anasterian had any kids a few years before he died, we don't know. There's no evidence suggesting Kael'Thas and Jaina were serious while he was in Dalaran and he was too busy trying to lead his people after the Scourage sacked Quel'Thalas to think about much else. Same when he joined up with Illidan in Outland. Plus he got killed in TK and is Fel-rezzed by Kil'Jaeden. If Anasterian had any other children where were not of age when he died, we simply don't know. If they survived the Scourge Invasion, they'd be of age now though. There's no guarantee Lorthe'mar would know either.

...Those are the three theories plus the glaring problems with all possability.

If the first one happens, Lorthe'mar would certainly be happy to step aside. As for the other two, enough time has passed that I think the Sindorei would welcome a long lost Sunstrider. More so if it's someone known, liked and long believed dead. A child of Kael would need to earn trust. A child of any other royal would be welcomed and would have to prove they're worthy of the throne. An illegitimate child, however...THAT would be some GOOD Fan Fiction to read! Another interesting angle: A Sunstrider family member or heir who is loyal to the Alliance ala Alleria and Vereesa of the Windrunner Sisters. I would need some popcorn for that!

Anywho, that's where I'm at. Believe it or not, I resisted the urge to let my head canon run wild. If there is an heir or a surviving Sunstrider out there, personally I do suspect Lorthe'mar may actually be aware and is simply waiting for the right time for them to be introduced. Nothing but speculation on my part though.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

7+ Year Old Account
    Unless Lor'themar becomes Warchief to get killed the next expansion, he'll be Silvermoon's leader for life, simply because he's done a pretty good job at keeping them alive
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think Lyandra was the last, unless of course, they bring in someone completely new, but I don't see the point in that unless it furthered a story arc of some point. Maybe somewhere along the line a Sunstrider and a Windrunner or another High Elf had a child. One blue and one green/gold eye.
    Last edited by Highelf; 2019-08-27 at 02:10 AM.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

Unfortunately due to shit writing from Burning Crusade. Kael'thas is arguably one of the most interesting characters in Warcraft history, definitely the most interesting Blood Elf character, hands down, yet he's dead cause of... loot pinata bosses lore writing. Yep. Of course Blizzard won't bring him back. "Resurrecting him a second time would be ridiculous!" Yet they're not above resurrecting other characters at a nausea.

There is a random blood mage in WC3 named Eldin Sunstrider, though its not known if he’s canon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    There is a random blood mage in WC3 named Eldin Sunstrider, though its not known if he’s canon.
    Might not be canon. I couldn't find him on Wowpedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    I think Lyandra was the last, unless of course, they bring in someone completely new, but I don't see the point in that unless it furthered a story arc of some point.
    According to Wowpedia, Lyandra Sunstrider was from a branch of the family. She wanted to recover Felo'Melorn in a bid to claim the throne (which Aethas Sunreaver warned her against because of the obvious danger factor). She found it in Icecrown but was killed by Scourage and raised by LK Bolvar by the time a Fire Mage arrives to claim it.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurabolt View Post
    Might not be canon. I couldn't find him on Wowpedia.
    Eldin Sunstrider, to be specific - but his canonicity is uncertain. But given that many of the random heroes from WC3 and WC3: TFT have become canon (such as Feronas Sindweller) it's certainly possible he is out there somewhere.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Eldin Sunstrider, to be specific - but his canonicity is uncertain. But given that many of the random heroes from WC3 and WC3: TFT have become canon (such as Feronas Sindweller) it's certainly possible he is out there somewhere.
    Now THAT is very interesting.
    “I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.”
    ― Ronald Regan

I eagerly await the bitching that accompanies an "elf thread".

More on topic, given that we suddenly have Bolvar's daughter and similar cliches that even Metzen wouldn't stoop to, it wouldn't surprise me to have Kael's long lost bastard half-Tauren son appear.
    Last edited by Feanoro; 2019-08-27 at 03:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Highelf View Post
    Now THAT is very interesting.
    Two of the random Blood Mages are confirmed to exist that I know of. Hale Magefire's staff can be found in the game, the eponymous Staff of Hale Magefire, and Tenris Mirkblood who apparently accompanied Kael to Northrend and wound up becoming one of the San'layn alongside Lana'thel (encountered in Karazhan during the WotLK pre-expansion event). There's also an interesting inclusion of one Sylvos Windrunner among the random names of Blood Mage Heroes in WC3: TFT, but like Eldin he may also not be canon.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    I eagerly await the bitching that accompanies an "elf thread".

More on topic, given that we suddenly have Bolvar's daughter and similar cliches that even Metzen wouldn't stoop to, it wouldn't surprise me to have Kael's long lost bastard half-Tauren son appear.
    Hmmm, the only one who is into cows ATM is Manduin. Perhaps Kael secretly shared those tastes?

But previous posters are correct, in the sense that they could perfectly pull a Sunstrider (or even another Windrunner lmao) out of thin air and socket him/her into the Sin'dorei throne - and it would be much less of an asspull than e.g. Calia and the Forsaken. Bonus points if the new pretender to the Silvermoon throne drools at the mere thought of the boiking talking to him/her.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Unless Lor'themar becomes Warchief to get killed the next expansion, he'll be Silvermoon's leader for life, simply because he's done a pretty good job at keeping them alive
    That was actually pretty funny! Thanks

Are the windrunner sisters also royal?
    Zorn | Vynd | Pheraz | Sylwina | Mondlicht | Eis | Blut | Emerelle - Plus 20 more...

I'd rather they didn't return to the Sunstriders, because it would be a constant reminder of how bad they fucked up Kael's story after TFT. They completely massacred one of the few interesting leaders and turned him into a cliche.

Just bring back Kael'Thas already. We're doing it with the Old Gods, Lich King, and Illidan..... we did alternate universe time travel. There's no excuse anymore for what can or can't be done.

Yeah, Lor'Themar has been a badass for the blood elves but he just kinda there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    in fact the Tidemistresses that come in phase 3 of azshara encounter are random naga heroes of WC3

10+ Year Old Account
    Not bad for a guy who didn't really want the job..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post

Naw but they are not counted for as Sin'dorei either, as all three are not part of the kingdom anymore.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Wasn't there a warfront planned around Silvermoon?

I think there are no Sunstrider's left; even Lyandra got name dropped very late and as a distant cousin with really not much of a claim, so I really think the possibilities of a long lost relative heir to the throne are low, specially when we are seeing the same narrative on Calia.

On the other hand, I have been thinking about the void whispers that told Alleria "The throne of Silvermoom is yours by right" so is the Windrunner family blood related to the Sunstrider and closer to the throne in terms of succession?

Either way, the point is if the Blood Elves would accept a Sunstrider heir over their new dictatorship leadership. But if Alleria is indeed an heir to the throne, it could be used to justify some inner conflict so the Void Elves can get more people -cause really those guys need a way to replenish their numbers- but still, that would further make the loyalist Blood Elves move away from any monarchy idealism.

So either way, I think monarchy is done for the Blood Elves.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Not bad for a guy who didn't really want the job..
    Lor'themar is actually a nice leader when you think about it. He stays in his capital with his people, he mostly sticks to himself and apparently is a Horde fanboy since he only moves his butt when whoever the current psycho Warchief is threatening to the world.

He even once told Garrosh that he served the Horde, not him.

Sure, he tried to leave the faction at one point, but who hasn't since the Horde is a hot mess every 2 years or so.

-

Regarding the Windrunner family... They aren't royals. Also none of their members has a claim to the Throne of Silvermoon nor they even identify themselves as Blood Elves. Even Halduron has more of a claim by being the top military officer in the Kingdom.
    In top of that, all Windrunners have suffered the curse of Human lust
    Last edited by Maljinwo; 2019-08-27 at 01:24 PM.
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Prince_Nallorath

There is Prince Nallorath but we don't know whether he is really Sunstrider. Also, we even don't know if he is alive. Kael'thas said that he is the last Sunstrider but Lyandra was still alive then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheraz View Post

No. They are just a powerful family.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post
    Just bring back Kael'Thas already. We're doing it with the Old Gods, Lich King, and Illidan..... we did alternate universe time travel. There's no excuse anymore for what can or can't be done.

Yeah, Lor'Themar has been a badass for the blood elves but he just kinda there for me.
    If Kael got fel-rezzed does that mean that he is a demon now? If so, he has to be alive.
    Last edited by matrix123mko; 2019-08-27 at 01:39 PM.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.