Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I rolled on a server that isn't hugely overpopulated unlike what a lot of people here seem to have done.

Was one of the first people online and enjoyed watching the starting zone overflow with people within seconds.

Ran from Northshire to Teldrassil, once I got there the servers had stabilized, so I was able to play with no real issues. There was some competition for mobs, but all you have to do is invite people, who are often more than willing to join, and tackle the quest(s) together, who'da thought?

Got to level 9 so far, but was going at a slower pace than most so that I can really enjoy myself, and also so that I can better save for my skills and mount.

All-in-all great experience so far, and I'm absolutely loving it! I had to force myself to log off and go to bed because I had work in the morning lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    Queues weren’t TOO bad on my server (~30 minutes). Once I got in, the lag wasn’t terrible, mob respawns were quick, and most players were respectful of others. Even had lines form for the toolbox quest items in Coldridge Valley that most people waited in.
    That's only because Blizzard held back some punches by doing a ton of layering and faster mob respawns. If it was the normal "#NOCHANGES" rate then you would be lucky to have even completed the first few quests let alone ever get on the server.
    "Why of course the people don't want war…. But, after all… it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbleedinggums View Post
    That's only because Blizzard held back some punches by doing a ton of layering and faster mob respawns. If it was the normal "#NOCHANGES" rate then you would be lucky to have even completed the first few quests let alone ever get on the server.
    Except fact 1 layer is about same size as 1 full realm back in 2004.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Skinner View Post
    Actually because from software games also tell a great story.

Fact is: You may bypass a challenge in a solo player game. Either by cheating or by mods.

That is not possible in a MMORPG.

So you compare apples with oranges.

Based on the fact that classic is massively time consuming, and only gives satisfaction to those who play lots of hours per week, i see no chance it will adress casual gamers for longer than the initial phase of curiosity.
    No it also gives satisfaction to casual players.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    I think you might be the first person I've seen to say damage is irrelevant.
    No, that's the reason why everyone speak about first "dps" and not "damage".
    Of course, when you start to speak of theorycrafting and try to maximize, well, DPS, the damage of the weapon can be relevant, but for the most part, it's DPS first.

Disconnect and now 20k ahead of me to get back in, so much for the 5 min grace period. I think they've seriously under-estimated the interest in classic

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    No it also gives satisfaction to casual players.
    For example?
    Rinse and repeat. For the rewards. Send even more turtles into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by wych View Post
    Disconnect and now 20k ahead of me to get back in, so much for the 5 min grace period. I think they've seriously under-estimated the interest in classic
    IMO it better to underestimate and increase capacity as needed vs. overestimate and end up with loads of dead servers when things stabilize. My guess is most of the people that have already quit/given up aren't the intended audience for Classic, and that's fine.

EU High Pop Realm, Queue of 27 people took approximately 1 second. Got to level 2 logged out and won't even try to login - just done it for the lols xD Classic simply isn't for me, looks absolute dogshit. Nice people can enjoy something from their childhood, i'm back on D3 for some reason having fun!

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Contrary to what people might think, I don't think the 'rare' mobs actually respawn any faster with more people in the area. Dynamic spawns to some degree actually existed in Vanilla 15 years ago, it was just harder to produce. You were more likely to trigger the system in close systems like caves where movement to and from each mob was incredibly short. Mobs spawning in areas faster is just a direct result of mobs being slaughtered in seconds, and the game reacting by producing more. This doesn't happen for unique mobs (like the lone kill quest mobs), because there's only one of them and the game doesn't really determine that there might be more of them. Clicking quest items (especially those that change position), will appear to respawn faster because people are literally camping every single node. Anybody on the higher populated Horde realms can attest to this by waiting well over five minutes for that one boar named mob in the barrens to spawn, despite having well over 25-30 people sitting on his spawn point.

My experience is just what I expected. There are times I sort of snap back to reality and ask myself "what the fuck am I doing, doing the same thing I did 15 years ago, and traversing long distances running for minutes at a time". Then shortly after I'm kinda into it again, and everything feels fine. I logged in 90 minutes prior to the servers going up so I didn't have to deal with any of the queue issues, and from my end (Stalagg), the launch felt a lot better than what I expected. Our entire layer, or Kalimdor as a whole (IDK) went down randomly about 6 hours in and resulted in my sitting in a queue for 20 minutes, but that felt fine simply because it was time for a break anyway. I feel for those that had to wait several hours to get in though. The start was laggy as fuck, but once people cleared out of the starting areas, that 3-5 second delay basically vanished.

Considering they low balled the amount of servers and they ended up being as stable as they were, well, I'm sort of impressed. I honestly believe them when they say they did this for the future of the product when people do stop playing, instead of worrying about peoples frustration within the first week.

All I can really say is thank god for layering. I'm fully aware that grinding mobs is a real part of leveling as I did it 15 years ago at periods of time, but I can't imagine competing with potentially 5x the amount of players on the same layer. Zalezane must have had 50-60 people surrounding his corpse when we decided to check out the echo isles, and quickly noped the fuck out of there. Other areas were similarly as bad, but it started to taper off to 'reasonable' standards. Even though my experience was tainted 15 years ago by server instability, I will say that the amount of people I felt that was around me 15 years ago was about the same or less than what I experienced today in a single layer (which is a good thing). I realize some people wanted no layering, but I simply couldn't imagine what a disaster that would have been during the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Different folks, different strokes...Dark Souls has a big community but is not for the common zoomer.
    Im not saying Classic is like Dark Souls...but the thing in common is that Classic offers more adversity than normal.

By your logic, Dark Sould is awful game design.
    Shit comparison, because Dark Souls difficult instead of inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurve1776 View Post
    IMO it better to underestimate and increase capacity as needed vs. overestimate and end up with loads of dead servers when things stabilize. My guess is most of the people that have already quit/given up aren't the intended audience for Classic, and that's fine.
    The only problem with dead server is the unwillingness of Blizzard to merge them. This idea that it's better to give hell to the players until they give up and drop off, instead of scaling adequately to the demand and be ready to merge servers some months down the road, is completely ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostile View Post
    Difficult and inconvenient are synonyms

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ZVt...4dUDCAo&uact=5

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    We all know that will not happen as in a +% of those online today will not actually stay and play to 60. We need layers just to get people out of the 1-40 areas.
    Yes, but adding more and more layering would just allow more and more people to join overpopulated servers. While I am not saying they will stay overpopulated as they are now, they could still be overpopulated as hell even after player number fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Togabito View Post
    Difficult and inconvenient are synonyms

https://www.google.com/search?ei=ZVt...4dUDCAo&uact=5
    Let me rephrase that. Dark Souls takes skill instead of patience.

Just get out ..

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Just get out ..
    What an amazingly well executed argument

What an amazingly well executed argument
    Well, taking lessons from the best.. You.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Well, taking lessons from the best.. You.
    I'm glad you continue on the same level of "no u" arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    No, that's the reason why everyone speak about first "dps" and not "damage".
    Of course, when you start to speak of theorycrafting and try to maximize, well, DPS, the damage of the weapon can be relevant, but for the most part, it's DPS first.
    i've always heard it the other way around. dps matters little as it's teh damage that is affecting your strikes

I'm glad you continue on the same level of "no u" arguments.
    So what you want to hear?

Needing ammo as a hunter is inconvenience. So is feeding your pet. Or having shaman totems fill your bag space. Slow leveling also. Not having mount from the start is also inconvenience. What about not being able to gather nodes, if your skill level is too low? Yep, inconvenience. Leveling up weapon skills? Inconvenience.

But as the package of all of this, world feels like a well, world. And journey as a journey. It has so many minor RPG elements, that makes sense, it can just suck you in.

Modern WoW is modern, it's fast, it instantly rewards you for everything, it's empty. But many people enjoy that. As many people enjoy all these inconveniences, because it makes world and game interesting for them.

But here you are. You are stating just "facts" and saying that inconvenience are just bad and game sucks. Now buddy, you suck. That's all.