Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Classic hunters gutted?

I dinged 30 today and noticed that FD does not put you out of combat.
    This means the core PVP mechanic of FD into trap does not work.

Was there any communication from Blizz about this? If it stays this way I'm insta rerolling another class so would be nice to know...

What you might be seeing is the enemy resisting the feign. It used to have a higher chance to fail.

I'm not talking about FD resists.
    I wish I was.
    I press FD, mobs runs away, combat drops only after mob ran all the way back and reset.
    Obviously this wont ever work in PVP.

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    This is literally how FD worked till Cata.
    Nah, it wasn't.

Anyway, I cried too soon, it works as long as pet is on passive. But the petpassive script from back in the day does not work anymore.
    Gotta fidure out another solution.

If your pet is in combat, regardless if you put it on passive you instantly get pulsed back into combat when you feign. It doesn't matter if it isn't attacking or being attacked. This means you can never feign death trap in fights, or feign death and eat.

Quote Originally Posted by mrquickfoot View Post
    If your pet is in combat, regardless if you put it on passive you instantly get pulsed back into combat when you feign. It doesn't matter if it isn't attacking or being attacked. This means you can never feign death trap in fights, or feign death and eat.
    Nah.
    I can trap using /petfollow in the macro instead of the old script.
    It's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Nah.
    It's all good.
    In solo pve you can :
    1. Put pet passive/ follow
    2. Fd
    3. Lay trap
    As long as between steps 2 and 3 your pet dsnt get attacked correct?

In PvP it forces the player to untarget you, that is all it ever did for a long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your pet should always be passive thats why macros are there

Any other hunters feel like it takes a couple seconds for the mob to snap onto the pet? As in you send the pet out, you fire a shot to tag the mob before the pet gets there, the mob and pet cross paths, maybe pet gets an attack or 2 on then the mob doesnt switch to the pet until it's pretty much in your dead zone, forcing you to move back?

Just feels like an awkward pathing/positioning issue for the pet trying to stick onto the moving target. Now that I got the 30% pet move speed talent its slightly better. Also conc shotting the mob initially helps too

Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    Any other hunters feel like it takes a couple seconds for the mob to snap onto the pet? As in you send the pet out, you fire a shot to tag the mob before the pet gets there, the mob and pet cross paths, maybe pet gets an attack or 2 on then the mob doesnt switch to the pet until it's pretty much in your dead zone, forcing you to move back?

Just feels like an awkward pathing/positioning issue for the pet trying to stick onto the moving target. Now that I got the 30% pet move speed talent its slightly better. Also conc shotting the mob initially helps too
    Stop shooting before you send in your pet. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    I allways used huntersmark/petattack the next mob while looting and just started autoshot, maybe serpent when my pet was close enough to the mob.

Thats the beauty of the hunter class, you learn aggro management basicly at level 10.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Thats the beauty of the hunter class, you learn aggro management basicly at level 10.
    In a lighthearted manner, I point to years and years of hunters being awful in dungeons to refute this claim :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Obviously have your pet on passive is the most important thing. One change I personally did was change my pets keybindings for attack and follow. Mousewheel up for attack, mousewheel down for follow. I know its silly, but i suggest you give it a try. I feel I have way more control over my pet this way. Hunters mark, serpent sting, send pet, position yourself while you let pet get a couple attacks off, and then auto/arcane shot. Have Growl trained and active on your pet, and he should quite easily hold aggro as long as you don't go balls deep before your pet even gets to the mob.
    Last edited by Dremmech; 2019-08-31 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalName View Post
    Nothing wrong with shooting before. I've done it for 15 years. Noob probably hasn't trained growl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

It's all about threat, what you mention only mean you did too much threat. If your pet doesn't have Growl, it's a good ability to have for your pets.
    Warrax, Fury Warrior
    Silika, BM Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by stevenho View Post
    Nah.
    It's all good.
    #showtooltip Freezing Trap
    /petpassive
    /petfollow
    /cast [combat] Feign Death; Freezing Trap

no variation of this works currently with regard to feign trapping in combat (same goes for the other traps besides freezing).

Are any of the threatmeter addons working for classic yet?

This is actually how it worked in Vanilla and I want to say there were similar issues in TBC as well.