Could someone explain Classic Rogue to me?

I haven't played a rogue since Vanilla and something just isn't clicking with me. Long story short, I'm level 16 and finishers feel very weak.

1. I thought the point of Eviscerate was that it's a heavy attack you use when you've build up CP's from Sinister strike, but Evisc is so weak. It feels stronger to use SS again than Evisc

2. Why would I garrote something out of stealth when I can destroy it with backstab?

3. When would be the optimal time to slice and dice at this level? I can't see myself really using it at all with everything else available.

4. I'm going dagger spec since I'm 2 manning quests with a warrior, so I'm making this a bit more of a problem by not speccing into Evisc, but backstab is so strong using 1 then waiting a second or two to use it again feels like the quickest way to the most damage. Is dagger spec always boring because you only backstab?

5. Maybe these things do come into play sooner or later but right now is it worth using Expose armor when I could just backstab or SS?

Basically, I might be thinking of finishing moves incorrectly and I'm having a hard time seeing any reason to do anything but backstab. Figuring out if say 1 combo point into slice and dice then into something else is worth it or if that's over complicating things.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to Icy Veins the rotation is basically just keep SnD up at all times and then Eviscerate 5cp otherwise. Using Garrote out of stealth for most cases. Talents will help a metric with all of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    I haven't played a rogue since Vanilla and something just isn't clicking with me. Long story short, I'm level 16 and finishers feel very weak.

1. I thought the point of Eviscerate was that it's a heavy attack you use when you've build up CP's from Sinister strike, but Evisc is so weak. It feels stronger to use SS again than Evisc

2. Why would I garrote something out of stealth when I can destroy it with backstab?

3. When would be the optimal time to slice and dice at this level? I can't see myself really using it at all with everything else available.

4. I'm going dagger spec since I'm 2 manning quests with a warrior, so I'm making this a bit more of a problem by not speccing into Evisc, but backstab is so strong using 1 then waiting a second or two to use it again feels like the quickest way to the most damage. Is dagger spec always boring because you only backstab?

5. Maybe these things do come into play sooner or later but right now is it worth using Expose armor when I could just backstab or SS?

Basically, I might be thinking of finishing moves incorrectly and I'm having a hard time seeing any reason to do anything but backstab. Figuring out if say 1 combo point into slice and dice then into something else is worth it or if that's over complicating things.

Thanks.
    A large portion of your damage is white damage, so for normal mobs you mostly will just be doing backstab and Slice and Dice. Backstab requires a dagger, so Garrote is an opener for swords/maces before Cheap Shot, you'll get Ambush later which is a stronger backstab that you can only use in stealth. Evis never really comes into play except on bosses as it takes too long to build 5 points, which is the only time it's worth using, and only if SnD is up and with enough time to get points to refresh. Expose armor is useless especially with a warrior friend who can Sunder.

10+ Year Old Account
    you're going dagger, there's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    A large portion of your damage is white damage, so for normal mobs you mostly will just be doing backstab and Slice and Dice. Backstab requires a dagger, so Garrote is an opener for swords/maces before Cheap Shot, you'll get Ambush later which is a stronger backstab that you can only use in stealth. Evis never really comes into play except on bosses as it takes too long to build 5 points, which is the only time it's worth using, and only if SnD is up and with enough time to get points to refresh. Expose armor is useless especially with a warrior friend who can Sunder.
    Thanks for the info. I mean, usually if I backstab from stealth and then 2 seconds later the do another backstab mob is dead. Would you suggest I should backstab from stealth and then SnD and try and carry it on to the next mob? Backstab just seems so strong atm not even SnD seems worth it.

edit: *and then 2 seconds later the do another backstab

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    you're going dagger, there's your problem.
    How much of a problem? It was one of the recommended builds on wowhead, especially if in a group.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info. I mean, usually if I backstab from stealth and then 2 seconds later the mob is dead. Would you suggest I should backstab from stealth and then SnD and try and carry it on to the next mob? Backstab just seems so strong atm not even SnD seems worth it.
    At early levels it doesn't matter much, mobs get a bit more HP later, but if you're two manning it really won't matter much outside of dungeons, mobs are going to drop really fast no matter what. In dungeons, definitely try to get SnD up as much as you can.

Also ignore the dude saying daggers is an issue, it's not especially if you have a friend. I did combat swords and daggers while leveling, both are fun in different ways. You get enough CC to use backstab solo plenty, and the burst is fun when you get ambush crits.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2019-08-31 at 05:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much of a problem? It was one of the recommended builds on wowhead, especially if in a group.
    It's up to you how much of a problem it is. But I prefer swords any day while leveling.

Daggers destroy things if you know how to play, ignore that panda nerd

Combat-Daggers was the preferred build until quite a bit into Classic (CTS from BWL was the first real contender for a sword build). A substantial amount of your damage comes from white attacks, So SnD is your finisher of choice more often than not. Backstab is of course a very strong attack, but requires positioning - that's why many people choose different weapons for solo play, but use daggers in groups where they can remain behind the target.