Thread: Bard Concept

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    You want tinker?
    I don't want bards in game but I'd take them over tinkers anyday,

I'd take necromancers over either of them in a heart beat. But I'd like it to be a "high" skilled cap class, OP utility / damage hybrid but super, super squishy. Like the sort of, if you let a warrior or rogue get in melee range of you, you're fucked kind of squishy.
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Bards are gay, sorry. There is nothing edgy, badass or interesting about bards in games.

It would just be Monk 2.0. Except other games made monks badass, but not WoW.
    Last edited by Hanzo Hasashi; 2019-09-02 at 05:03 PM.

I'd replace the flute with drums and the violin is good but it just feels weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    So apparently the mods saw fit to merge my class concept thread with this one. Not what I would have preferred, but oh well.
    I like the fact that you gave them the Holy school of damage. Minstrel having a Ballad of the Rogue and casting Holy spells makes you think of a benevolent rogue, on his journey to do good deeds !

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except the basis of every expansion class has had roots in both factions. You can't base a class on the War Kodo, because it is too Horde centric.
    The Monk, or the unit it was based on, the WC3 Pandaren Brewmaster, was too "Horde-Centric" as well considering in the official campaigns, it fought alongside Thrall and Rexxar against the Alliance.

And also: nobody is saying to base a class around the kodo-rider. They're just pointing things that could be considered bard-like, and could be used as flavor, not focus.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    I like the fact that you gave them the Holy school of damage. Minstrel having a Ballad of the Rogue and casting Holy spells makes you think of a benevolent rogue, on his journey to do good deeds !
    Bards are known for their "roguish charms" so I thought it fit. Thank you.

The Monk, or the unit it was based on, the WC3 Pandaren Brewmaster, was too "Horde-Centric" as well considering in the official campaigns, it fought alongside Thrall and Rexxar against the Alliance.

And also: nobody is saying to base a class around the kodo-rider. They're just pointing things that could be considered bard-like, and could be used as flavor, not focus.

- - - Updated - - -

Bards are known for their "roguish charms" so I thought it fit. Thank you.
    "Roguish charms" - Like the rouges we have?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I've seen a lot of Necromancer, Dragonsworn, Tinker and Dark Ranger concept threads, but not many in the way of Bard, so I decided to create my own!

BARD CONCEPT FOR WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Armor Type: Mail
    Roles: Axe Jammer (Tank), Flutist (Healer) & Cellist (Damage)
    Races: (A) Humans, Dwarves, Void Elves, Worgen & Gnomes. (H) Orcs, Blood Elves, Undead, Tauren & Goblins.
    Lore: Bards are Azeroth's best kept secret. Previously simple music makers dwelling in Silverpine and Elwynn Forests, they've entertained Eastern Kingdom's highest social circles for centuries with beautiful melodies, and especially rocked out every hour on the hour in the Darkmoon Faire. With the looming threat of Helya and Yrel's Holy Crusade sweeping across the kingdoms, and falls of Stormwind and Thunder Bluff, the music makers of Azeroth have decided to take up arms with their untapped, deadly music to battle the forces that look to eradicate all music, art and culture from Azeroth. They are the music makers, and they are the dreamers of dreams. They are The Bards.

SPECIALIZATIONS

AXE JAMMER (TANK)

A savage guitarist, Bards who choose to walk the line of Axe-Jammer will pick up their axe, equipped like guitars from hell to unleash deafening riffs that will shatter enemy's hearing eardrums to mitigate incoming damage to themselves as well as their party. The Axe-Jammer axes will be an axe/guitar hybrid that serves as both a weapon for parrying as well as one for unleashing sound waves that target the enemies in a frontal cone. The Axe Jammer will also rely on a Musical Note System where abilities grant "Notes" for full battle optimization, represented as a musical note bar under HP bar.

ABILITIES:

Axe & Smash: Swing your axe, dealing melee damage. Grants 1 Note, up to 5 Notes.
    Dance Challenge: Bust a move, /dancing for 5 seconds while swinging axe erratically, reducing damage by 30% and dealing damage to confused targets within radius. Grants 2 Notes. 20 second cooldown.
    Axe Block: Raise your axe, using the handle to block incoming melee damage, up to 20%. Requires 1 Note.
    I AM MURLOC Unleash a guitar riff, summoning a swarm of Murlocs that will taunt all targets and deal damage for 6 seconds. 3 minute cooldown. Requires 4 Notes.
    Guitar Solo: Blast your enemy's ear drums, up to 5 targets, stunning them for 3 seconds and decreasing damage they deal. 40 second cooldown. Requires 3 Notes.
    Mosh Pit: Removes all movement-impairing effects and increases movement speed by 50% for the bard's entire party. Lasts 10 seconds. Does not stack with other movement-speed-increasing effects.
    Acid Trip: Drink from a secret vial, becoming berserk and immune to all damage for 6 seconds. 3 minute cooldown. Requires 5 Notes.
    Crowd Surf: Play a rocking song to enthrall the minds of your enemy targets, forcing a mob of 3 or more enemies to pick you up and surf you to safety. Effect only lasts 6 seconds.
    Nonconformity: Dispels fear, mind control, and similar effects.
    KISS: Interrupts spell casting. 1 minute cooldown.
    Rock'N Roll: The Bard sticks his tongue out, plays his axe and rolls forward 10 yards, increasing his run speed by 50% for 3 seconds. 2 minute cooldown.

FLUTIST (HEALER)

A serene but often aggressive flute player, Flutist Healers do not physically rejuvenate others and themselves, but instead rely on soothing melodies to heal the soul and spirit, helping party members and friendly targets ignore the pain and damage with lifting music that transcends corporal existence. They carry with them wand flute/wand hybrids, allowing them to channel arcane magic to intercept enemy attacks to spare party members damage.

Soothing Melody Play a soothing melody with your flute (wand), healing the target. 3 second cast. Grants 1 Note.
    Soloist: Play a beautiful melody, healing yourself for 40% health. Requires 4 notes. 3 minute cooldown. Instant cast.
    Sure Shot: Fire a sound wave at the target. If friendly, heal the target and if an enemy, deal damage.
    Got A Copper?: Distract the target with a beautiful melody, allowing you to pick pocket while they are entranced.
    Circular Barrier: The Bard uses his flute to draw an imaginary circle, which becomes a physical shield able to protect him from attacks for up to 5 seconds. 1 minute cooldown. Requires 1 Note.
    Sound Waves: The Bard moves his arm in a sword-like fashion and releases powerful sound waves that are able to knock down his opponents and stun them for 3 seconds. Requires 2 Notes.
    Dead End Symphony: The Bard plays a song on his flute, which stuns the target for 4 seconds. The music directly resonates within the opponent's brain, applying damage over time for up to 5 seconds. Talent point ability. Requires 5 Notes.
    Dead End Climax: Once The Bard reaches the climax of his song, the music he plays will damage the target for 5% of their health, unleashing a melody that heals the party. Requires Dead End Sympthony. Requires 4 Notes.

CELLIST (DAMAGE)

A slash and play melee/ranged damage combo spec; Cellists keep to themselves and deal damage from afar with soothing melodies that disable the opponent's combat expectations, and then kick it up a notch with some deeper Earth-shaking rhythms. They also dual wield a sword and Cello.

Shred: Stab the enemy target. Grants 1 Note.
    Soloist: The Bard plays a tune, dealing ranged damage. Grants 2 Notes. 30 second cooldown.
    Stick And Move: The Bard hurls his Cello stick at the enemy target, dealing ranged damage. Grants 1 note. 10 second cooldown.
    Blue Blade: /Cry, causing the Bard to weep before smashing his Cello over the enemy target's head and stabbing them. Must be within melee range. Grants 3 Notes. 1 minute cooldown.
    Death Trip Serenade: Without his Cello, the Bard pulls out a Harp and plays a beautiful theme that does damage over time on the enemy, until the song intensifies, dealing 5% damage to the target.
    Stringer Fine: The Bard unleashes magical strings from his harp, ensnaring the enemy target and squeezing with razor sharp strings, dealing 5% damage. Requires 4 Notes. Requires Death Trip Serenade.
    String Quartet: Increases damage done of up to 3 party members by 20% for 20 seconds. 6 minute cooldown. Requires 5 Notes.
    Apocalyptico: The Bard plays the deepest notes on his Cello, dealing % ranged damage. Requires 5 Notes.

(Notes: I would have used icons, but I typed this at work in between work, and it was hard linking images. Plus, the only icon I regret not linking is the Murloc icon for I Am Murloc. Most WoW icons wouldn't do the abilities justice anyway as WoW doesn't have many musical instrument icons other than the flute off the top of my head. I got some inspiration from https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Bard and other fictional mediums that have portrayed music as a weapon like the Saint Seiya anime, particularly the Flutist spec.)
    Very orignal and serves a deep purpose.

Thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    But it was a neutral hero unit. Jaina joined with Thrall and Rexxar in that campaign btw.

Yeah, but there's nothing to really tie any of it together. Nothing ties the Kodo rider to that Minstrel in Stratholme, and nothing ties either to Lorewalker Cho. Also the War-Drums are part of the Leatherworking profession.

5+ Year Old Account
    Also the War-Drums are part of the Leatherworking profession.
    please stop this fat trolling or i gonna say :
    Also the tinker-mech are part of the Engineering profession.

He was talking about drums, as form tribal aesthetics bard (orcs/trolls/taurens).

Alliance Bard flute animations.
    Horde Bard drum animations.

(one hand weapon user bard, that has one hand free(atleast in time of animation) to pull out some musical tool drum/flute/bell with some sort magical imbuendment)

0:02

just like L2 swordsinger and bladedancer (ministrel,bard,soundweaver JOB that involves music+sound+songs....ect)

BTW grats L2 with having Necromancer,Death Knight,Dark Avenger sharing same theme and NOT breaking world.
    Last edited by cocomen2; 2019-09-02 at 06:23 PM.
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

- Blizzard, please add Necromancer class.
    - Nah, it would just be too similar to Death Knight.
    - But there are already priests and paladins in the game.
    - Well...uh...you know.

@Aldo Hawk

music is cannon force in wow. Kodo wardrummers in wc3 or arthas rocking the guitar
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cocomen2 View Post
    please stop this fat trolling or i gonna say :
    Also the tinker-mech are part of the Engineering profession.
    Well they aren't, since the Tinker mechs actually allow you to fight while inside the mech, and they have a set of unique abilities. The Sky Golem is just a mount. In addition, you can collect 5/6 of the mecha mounts without Engineering. They're either drops or purchases from vendors.

He was talking about drums, as form tribal aesthetics bard (orcs/trolls/taurens).
    Yes, I know. You can actually craft the Drums via leather working and they do the exact same thing you would expect a Bard to do; Provide a beneficial buff to their party via an instrument.

They even have a wide variety of options;

https://www.wowhead.com/search?q=Drum

A bard would be a fun class if it worked as a support class spitting out buffs that makes your average dps player have a nerdgasm. Have it use a staff or a bow and play an instrument to buff and debuff, it could even function like a healer.

But it was a neutral hero unit. Jaina joined with Thrall and Rexxar in that campaign btw.
    Goblins were also fully neutral units, mind you. And I'm not talking only about the goblin tinker and goblin alchemist, mind you. All goblins were neutral units, even the sapper units.

Yeah, but there's nothing to really tie any of it together. Nothing ties the Kodo rider to that Minstrel in Stratholme, and nothing ties either to Lorewalker Cho.
    Other than the fact that all three of them make use of music to affect opponents and allies? Which is the basic of a bard's concept?

Also the War-Drums are part of the Leatherworking profession.
    And? Turrets are part of the engineering profession, but I don't see that stopping you from using turrets in your tinker class concept. Double-standards much?
    Last edited by Ielenia; 2019-09-02 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I don't want bards in game but I'd take them over tinkers anyday,

I'd take necromancers over either of them in a heart beat. But I'd like it to be a "high" skilled cap class, OP utility / damage hybrid but super, super squishy. Like the sort of, if you let a warrior or rogue get in melee range of you, you're fucked kind of squishy.
    That sounds good to me, I want Necromancers too, perhaps more than Bard but I'd take Bard over Dark Ranger and definitely over Tinker. But I'd settle for a Bard profession too like others suggested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goblins were also fully neutral units, mind you. And I'm not talking only about the goblin tinker and goblin alchemist, mind you. All goblins were neutral units, even the sapper units.
    And your point is?

Other than the fact that all three of them make use of music to affect opponents and allies? Which is the basic of a bard's concept?
    Which isn't enough of a connection. All expansion classes come from a single lore source; Death Knights were champions of the Lich King, Monks were all trained by Pandaren Monks, Demon Hunters are all Illidari, and the Tinker class (if the leaks are true) would be a union of Gnome and Goblin technology via Mekkatorque and Gallywix.

And? Turrets are part of the engineering profession, but I don't see that stopping you from using turrets in your tinker class concept. Double-standards much?
    Except they aren't the same type of turret found in the Tinker unit. The drums on the other hand are the exact same as the Drums of the Kodo WC3 unit.

Bards would be awesome! Although I believe they could be much simpler and easier to implement than most people think.

Make them the new second physical ranged class that uses ranged weapons and mail. Hunters will keep the wild, nature, and pet themes, but there is no reason they need a monopoly on ranged combat.

As for their instruments, these could just be part of the spell effects of each ability. Just like how a paladin flips through their libram to heal now, or how an outlaw rogue uses a pistol that they never equipped.

Their music and songs will complement and enhance their combat abilities, rather than being the sole source of damage. Though conceivably a healing spec would just have a bow as a stat stick while their healing would be entirely music-based.

I also think there is an untapped potential here with the skalds of Scandinavia that crosses over with the Vrykul. Rune "magic" was supposedly sung or hummed as well, meaning a skald spec could also be a runecaster.

And your point is?
    Saying "it was a neutral unit" doesn't mean much.

Which isn't enough of a connection.
    Excuse me? Who are you to claim what is and what isn't enough of a connection?

All expansion classes come from a single lore source; Death Knights were champions of the Lich King, Monks were all trained by Pandaren Monks, Demon Hunters are all Illidari, and the Tinker class (if the leaks are true) would be a union of Gnome and Goblin technology via Mekkatorque and Gallywix.
    Oh yeah. A unity between gnomes and goblins. I'd believe more in a leak saying Wrathion and Anduin are getting married than the idea of gnomes and goblins putting all their differences aside to collaborate so much that a playable class spawns out of that copperation.

And tendencies aren't hard, unbreakable rules. The bard could be the first expansion class that has multiple lore sources. Or just tie all bards to the Lorewalkers from Pandaria. There: two viable options.

Except they aren't the same type of turret found in the Tinker unit. The drums on the other hand are the exact same as the Drums of the Kodo WC3 unit.
    Bollocks. This is just BS rationalization and equally BS arbitrary differences you're coming up with to attempt to hide your double-standards. A drum created by the leatherworking profession wouldn't be the same as a drum a Horde bard uses. Perhaps the Horde bard's drum is special, using leather blessed by the spirits, for example.

The point is: to say that both are "one and the same" just because they happens to be "drums" is very hypocritical when you deny the fact your argument can be used against your tinker idea, since we can claim that your idea's turrets and the engineering profession's turrets are "one and the same" just because they happen to be "turrets".

"Ah, but my turrets look and behave differently than the engineer's turrets." Then so would the Horde bard's drums. Problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil-Free View Post
    Bards would be awesome! Although I believe they could be much simpler and easier to implement than most people think.

Make them the new second physical ranged class that uses ranged weapons and mail. Hunters will keep the wild, nature, and pet themes, but there is no reason they need a monopoly on ranged combat.
    I initially was going to make my idea a bow-user, but I kind of liked the idea of the Musketeers (the movie), so I decided to give them a fencing spec, instead. Melee DPS.

As for their instruments, these could just be part of the spell effects of each ability. Just like how a paladin flips through their libram to heal now, or how an outlaw rogue uses a pistol that they never equipped.
    E-frigging-xactly!

Their music and songs will complement and enhance their combat abilities, rather than being the sole source of damage. Though conceivably a healing spec would just have a bow as a stat stick while their healing would be entirely music-based.
    I, myself, prefer the idea of them wielding a sword/dagger/mace and an off-hand, myself.

I also think there is an untapped potential here with the skalds of Scandinavia that crosses over with the Vrykul. Rune "magic" was supposedly sung or hummed as well, meaning a skald spec could also be a runecaster.
    I like the idea of making their DPS spellcaster holy-based. We have no class like that in the game, and it'd be something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying "it was a neutral unit" doesn't mean much.
    Maybe not, but there really isn't any alliance equivalent.

Excuse me? Who are you to claim what is and what isn't enough of a connection?
    Using previous expansion classes (and common sense), there isn't.

Oh yeah. A unity between gnomes and goblins. I'd believe more in a leak saying Wrathion and Anduin are getting married than the idea of gnomes and goblins putting all their differences aside to collaborate so much that a playable class spawns out of that copperation.
    Again, if the leak is to believe, that is how a Tinker class comes about. Considering that they worked together in Mechagon, such an idea isn't far fetched. The two groups have been stealing tech from each other for years.

And tendencies aren't hard, unbreakable rules. The bard could be the first expansion class that has multiple lore sources. Or just tie all bards to the Lorewalkers from Pandaria. There: two viable options.
    It could be, but there's no reason for it to be. It would be far more likely that Blizzard would push forward a unified Bard concept. The fact that they never have, and instead have aligned Bards with Rogues kind of indicates the chances of a future Bard class.

Bollocks. This is just BS rationalization and equally BS arbitrary differences you're coming up with to attempt to hide your double-standards. A drum created by the leatherworking profession wouldn't be the same as a drum a Horde bard uses. Perhaps the Horde bard's drum is special, using leather blessed by the spirits, for example.

The point is: to say that both are "one and the same" just because they happens to be "drums" is very hypocritical when you deny the fact your argument can be used against your tinker idea, since we can claim that your idea's turrets and the engineering profession's turrets are "one and the same" just because they happen to be "turrets".
    No, it's not because they both happen to be drums, it's because they're both war drums, and they both increase attack power.

I initially was going to make my idea a bow-user, but I kind of liked the idea of the Musketeers (the movie), so I decided to give them a fencing spec, instead. Melee DPS.

E-frigging-xactly!

I, myself, prefer the idea of them wielding a sword/dagger/mace and an off-hand, myself.

I like the idea of making their DPS spellcaster holy-based. We have no class like that in the game, and it'd be something new.
    Melee dps would work too, I thought about that since LotRO minstrels used melee and it was fun. The reason I thought ranged would be better was simply because I am tired of hunters being the only flavor of physical ranged.

Holy would be interesting for a dps spec as well, thanks to priests having the only real bard-like ability atm. I actually think a new class that can't tank would be nice, so maybe bards should get 2 dps specs and 1 heal spec.
    Last edited by FossilFree; 2019-09-02 at 10:10 PM.