View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    So that amendment doesn't resurrect the WA, or scupper the bill.

It does fuck with Boris Johnson though, when he goes to seek an extension he has to tell the EC he'll try to get May's thrice dead WA through. Which is funny on so many levels.

- - - Updated - - -

Well usually bills are put in by the government, not the opposition, so to not put tellers out means they accept the amendment without challenge.

Except this is an opposition bill. Chances are they won't get to pull this trick again.
    You're right, I dont think this is likely to be a common occurrence... it's the first time I've heard of it happening.

It really does highlight just how fragile the procedures of the UK's democratic system is and how easy it is, when someone wants to mess around with it, how quickly everything goes into a manic tailspin.

No really, it is. Blaiming Parliament for actions that are strictly on the Government despite the actions of Parliament at large has been the Mail and the Express' favourite hobby.

You're repeating Boris Johnson with that one. You may not like that you are, but such is the way of things.

Patience is a limited commodity, it's often exhausted when you try to explain politely and they straight up ignore you and continue to harp on their same repetitive phrases.

And my patience with the peanut gallery constantly making incorrect assertions on how Parliament and the British political system works has come to an end when it's met with petty chestbeating and bravado talk from people who thankfully will never be close to a political office.
    Congratulations, now you know how I feel every single time you open your mouth about the EU.

As for your first argument: Nobody forced the MP's to legislate Brexit did they? I'm not repeating Boris' point, I'm making a point on my own. That he happens to make the same point is beside the point.
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-09-04 at 08:30 PM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Fair and I think we used to look at the US as the gold standard and that's been dumpstered too. But yeah like other pointers are saying, ours is remarkably flimsy.
    To be honest I think all democratic systems are only as good as the people that serve within them and you cannot eliminate all the flaws without eliminating the people. Could ours be better? Yeah, probably. But how you make it better I don't know.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-09-04 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    But that would get in the way of Labour's most pressing issues; being antisemitic and closet Brexiters.
    Let's ignore the anti-semitism part, because that's just a distraction. The bit about Corbyn being a Brexiteer in spirit is really the biggest problem.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Let's ignore the anti-semitism part, because that's just a distraction. The bit about Corbyn being a Brexiteer in spirit is really the biggest problem.
    Don't worry, I'm sure Britain's clear and resilient constitutional mechanisms will ensure that Labour saves the day at the eleventh hour.

I honestly feel so bad for the EU leaders for having to revisit this garbage every six months. It makes you wonder how the UK ever obtained a reputation for diplomatic and political excellence in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Congratulations, now you know how I feel every single time you open your mouth about the EU.
    Sorry I don't echo your masculine chest beating attitude and tend to follow the actual news stories when it comes to the council.

As for your first argument: Nobody forced the MP's to legislate Brexit did they? I'm not repeating Boris' point, I'm making a point on my own. That he happens to make the same point is beside the point.
    Except they all vowed to respect the referendum result and trigger A50 if leave won. Which it did.

Are you actually criticising a politician for doing something they promised?
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Don't worry, I'm sure Britain's clear and resilient constitutional mechanisms will ensure that Labour saves the day at the eleventh hour.

I honestly feel so bad for the EU leaders for having to revisit this garbage every six months. It makes you wonder how the UK ever obtained a reputation for diplomatic and political excellence in the first place.
    The UK still has diplomatic and political excellence. I see that almost every day when I read British diplomats and politicians speak in clear and no uncertain terms about what the consequences of Brexit are, how the negotiations are going and how the UK is failing at basically everything.

It's not that the UK has lost the skill it once displayed. It is merely choosing to ignore its skill and blunder about. "No expert opinions" is really the poignant slogan representing this fact.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I don't echo your masculine chest beating attitude and tend to follow the actual news stories when it comes to the council.

Except they all vowed to respect the referendum result and trigger A50 if leave won. Which it did.

Are you actually criticising a politician for doing something they promised?
    Your childish banter about masculinity, mansplaining and other gender-issue related buzzwords is really discrediting your posts a lot more than you think. Perhaps you can come back to the adult world, or you can continue trolling and break forum rules. It's your choice really. But knowing your history, I don't have high hopes.

Did they all vow that? Source?

As expected the vote for a GE fails to reach the 2/3rds majority required.

BoJo could resign on Friday and get his election anyway.

Or, well start a vote of no confidence lol

Damn short tenure...RIP BoJo...(politically speaking)

10+ Year Old Account
    Your childish banter about masculinity, mansplaining and other gender-issue related buzzwords is really discrediting your posts a lot more than you think.
    You realise the mansplaining thing was a parody of a post that had already brought it up, right? But yes you're beating your chest and trying to do tough talk when you keep talking about just throwing the UK out, or expecting violent protest rather than letting us deal with matters how we always have done.

Sorry you don't like people calling out on your shit.

Perhaps you can come back to the adult world, or you can continue trolling and break forum rules. It's your choice really. But knowing your history, I don't have high hopes.
    I suggest you look in a mirror, all you have done for page after page is boast about your no deal fantasy and attempt to belittle people who disagree with your narrow view and won't tolerate your underhanded attempts at nation bashing.

It's not trolling to call you out on your bad faith posting.

Did they all vow that? Source?
    Just google every time someone said "we will respect the result of the referendum" I mean it was an endlessly repeated talk point.

Unreal that BoJo first reaction is to troll Corbyn. It’s as if he has no clue of how serious the situation is.

10+ Year Old Account

You realise the mansplaining thing was a parody of a post that had already brought it up, right? But yes you're beating your chest and trying to do tough talk when you keep talking about just throwing the UK out, or expecting violent protest rather than letting us deal with matters how we always have done.

Sorry you don't like people calling out on your shit.

I suggest you look in a mirror, all you have done for page after page is boast about your no deal fantasy and attempt to belittle people who disagree with your narrow view and won't tolerate your underhanded attempts at nation bashing.

It's not trolling to call you out on your bad faith posting.

Just google every time someone said "we will respect the result of the referendum" I mean it was an endlessly repeated talk point.
    How have you always done things? Like this? I think not.

Also, I suggest you start differentiating. It's really, really hard not to belittle you when you display the mental capacity of a child like you do now. The way you do things now, ie. sit on your ass and talk on forums about how nobody but you is allowed to talk about British politics on an international political subforum is clearly not working. So, what do you intend to do? Because so far, YOU have done too little. Yes, you personally. No, I don't care if you went to the street. There's no prize for effort. You win when you stop this madness.

As for my "fantasy", I've made it abundantly clear that while I regret Brexit for the Remainers, I do want to see people like Dribs hit with the harshest consequences possible. That you have not followed this thread from the beginning or have trouble retaining information in your head is clearly your problem, not mine. So why do you make this my problem now?

I want you to list me a comprehensive list of MPs saying they vow to respect the referendum result. I am not going to Google that. You made the claim, you back it up.

[Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2019-09-04 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Be civil.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a disaster bojo has been lol.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Tell me again why Brexit is such a good idea? And why they can't either ignore the referendum or have a second one?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Tell me again why Brexit is such a good idea? And why they can't either ignore the referendum or have a second one?
    Because Brexit voters are effectively in the British version of the Midwest, they are the swing states of the United Kindgom.

Basically: You want a majority in the British Parliament you bloody well better get those voters. The Torries and Labor are actively fighting for them. They want Brexit and give no shits about the arguments in precious London are.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Quote Originally Posted by Fandwhcih View Post
    Maybe you should do something about the far right taking over your country. Because Germany looks like it is going through its Weimar republic phase at the moment.
    The AfD couldn't even get a winning share of the vote in two of the states that contain the majority of their support.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone translate for us dumb dual Canadian/Americans?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Can anyone translate for us dumb dual Canadian/Americans?
    The Lords Brexiters added 100 amendments to the bill to slow its progress. Each one has to be voted down individually.