Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    The only game changing thing there is debuff count which isn't even a change, try harder
    So the ability to communicate cross faction doesnt change the game? Layering isnt game changing? Allowing twice as many debuffs on a boss isnt a gameplay change for you?

I just hope i can still find the goalposts when you are done moving them!

Spent a big chunk of time doing 20-24 in Hillsbrad with a friend. Died a number of times since we were underleveled for the content but ended up grouping with a bunch of cool random people and having a blast. Looking forward to spending a big chunk of Friday seeing if we can push to 28+. I'm having an absolute blast leveling when I have time to do so, but I guess it's not for everyone. I can see it not being as fun after the first time around in Classic, but eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Much of the Classic experience belongs to a bygone age where the general demographic of WoW had much more free time in every sense - WoW's audience is generally older now, with many more commitments competing for their free time. It's a definitely a slog, although it's still rife with nostalgic value.
    I think you are right. Back then I didn't mind the game wasting so much of my time because I didn't know what to do with my time anyways. Nowadays, I always have an eye on the clock, no matter what I do b/c there never seems to be enough time in the day for me.

I agree that it is nice to see the pre cata Nightelf areas again.

Classic was far more about the leveling than the endgame, there is nothing to do at endgame except pvp and raiding, there are no dailies, there are no heroics to farm, if you play to get to the endgame you're playing it for the wrong reasons.

I personally wasn't super interested in Classic as I've been through it before. But I'm having more fun in Classic than I did during Vanilla and than I do for the most part in BFA because the difference this time though is I'm lvling with a friend and as we've been going through quests and dungeons we've met other people that we group up with for a particularly hard quest or a quest with a long respawn on one particular mob or when we run dungeons and some of those people we now consider friends that we laugh and joke with as we slowly make our way through the levels.

Don't be afraid to chat with people when you quest or do dungeons, be social, make connections and if you can find someone to join you on your journey or even a part of that journey to max level you'll enjoy it far more, be it a long standing friend, a guildie or just some random stranger you meet during a quest, when you're both done with that quest, see if you have other quests in common and say "Hey, wanna do this one together too?" some will accept the offer, others wont, just try it and I'm sure you'll find people who'll lvl with you eventually and you'll enjoy it far more.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Well, except for that it's not, and ppl have literally done all over content in the game without even being max level. Yeah, some grind aye?

- - - Updated - - -

Then how did so many people get to 60 so quickly? If leveling is the majority of game content, are you suggesting classic launches in a state were most content could be completed in 3 days?

Also, who is this "we" you speak of?
    **Watches every single current classic stream of a max level, farming aoe packs of mobs to grind minute amounts of gold so that they can afford an epic mount**

No no, your right. That's not grindy at all. I guess if your perspective of classics end game is clearing MC then yeh sure, but that's like saying retails endgame is LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    Perhaps classic just isn't for you?
    Or perhaps people would be having far more fun leveling if we could actually do bgs on the side instead of this stupid fucking phases of content shit
    Never believe you have seen the peak of human stupidity and ignorance, or you will constantly be surprised by the new levels the reach almost every day

Classic is all about the leveling. If you can't stand it, then classic simply isn't for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Again, if you go into Classic with a rushy, log-in-and-win BFA mentality thinking the game starts in the latest raid, you're going to have a bad time.
    If you don't find any enjoyment in the leveling process, Classic isn't for you.

If this was a game in development the post above would be a bit inappropriate but now we're talking about a niche game, released as close as possible to it's original state (final patch), with some very minor changes.
    Bitching about slow, grindy leveling, or lack of LFD, or lack of QoL systems, or the fact that you have to run back and forth between zones to find level-appropriate quests, isn't actually going to change the game in any significant way.
    Play something you enjoy instead. It's that simple.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Classic leveling IS a torture, it has always been. At the moment it's worse than when I started playing (early 2006) beacuse of all the masses everywhere tagging everything. You must deal with it.

Em if you can't stomach the levelling then I hate to break it to you this game isn't for you. Why on earth would you play a game you don't like and then come to the forum to complain that you can't stomach doing one of the main features of classic wow? Madness. The endgame of classic is very very small in comparison to retail so I don't get the rush, unless you didn't know that?
    “I’m like King Midas in reverse. Everything I touch turns to shit.”

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    At first I was reading all about these cool long questlines like the defias and onyxia chains. I figured that Classic was going to be pretty fun to level in.

Then I took a look at the classes. Warrior? Gotta learn how to hamstring kite. Not my style. Warlock? Lose a bag to soulshards. Hunter? Ammo and feeding the pet, looked pretty cool but losing a bag to food and ammo? Less cool. Mage? Doesn’t seem to be too bad. Ended up playing it. Pretty good at killing things, a rotation that was almost on par with some retail rotations.

Pretty sweet right? Just let me kill these 24 Kobolds (12 miners, 12 workers). Okay, did that. What’s next? Oh. Kill another 24 Kobolds? (12 unionists, 12 overseers). Well, glad that’s over with, what’s next? Oh... kill another 24 Kobolds? (12 Candlemages, 12 Bolsheviks).

Well, I’m done with Elwynn now, let’s see what Westfall has on- oh... kill 24 defias? (12 thugs, 12 cutpurses). Done, now- Oh come on! Kill another 24? (12 Throatcutters 12 pillagers) Fine... now wha-... Another 24? (12 Knuckledusters, 12 highwaymen) Really? I swear if I didn’t want that wand...

Now on to loch moda- oh, what’s that? You want me to kill 24 troggs?....

72 Trogg’s later...

Finally at Darkshore, hopefully Kalimdor has some varie- OH COME THE FUCK ON!

It was at that point, after just hitting level 20 that I decided I was sick of this shit. Very few storylines, what was there was buried under a mountain of shit.

What’s the point in Classic? Community? Nobody fucking talks! I did the Loch Modan ogre quest, Hogger and a Deadmines run in complete silence. I might as well have been doing world quests. I’ve met more lively people AFKing on the weekly box of disappointment or in Silvermoon than I have in my dozens of hours in Classic.

And the endgame? Molten Bore? Naxxrehash? PvP? You spend more time grinding mobs for materials in preparation than you do playing!

Bring on TBC, yes the leveling’ll still be shite but at least I know I can make it through Eversong and the Ghostlands without putting up with this shit and the xp required to hit 60 is significantly reduced. And at the end I’ve got a wealth of content to do thanks to non-raid reputations actually being worth a damn. All while keeping the questlines I actually do want to see.
    I agree well said. Classic is a grind-fest though. Not for everyone for sure.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

I'm genuinely loving leveling! Picked warrior as my guild was low on tanks as opposed to my planned priest and I honestly can't wait to get in and level each day. Currently 32 and working on the Whirlwind Axe quest!

I can understand not everyone likes the slow pace, but to me this is what an MMO is suppised to be. Retail has it's good things too (raiding especially), but it's strayed from it's roots and the pacing of Classic is the biggest and best reminder of that.

To me, leveling is 80% of Classic/Vanilla - And I think it was the intention to begin with.
    The game was about "the journey to become a hero" NOT "A day in a heroes life"

Use the recent leveling race as example:
    Leveling = 4/5 days of content (For the fastest few)
    Clearing MC + Onyxia = Hours (With a group of non-optimized barely lvl 60 players)

It wasnt until later that Blizzard started to cater to the end-game.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, classic is all about leveling and slow progression... that´s what makes it fun

So obviously it is not for you. No big deal, go back to retail, all cool!

Whoa! where did the goal posts go? i cant even see them anymore! now we are only talking about GAME CHANGING changes?

Lets see:
    Battlenet
    Layering
    Ability to mail more than one item
    All the issues with hunters - pets staying after killing a mob, loyalty changes etc
    Debuff count
    What did they change with loyalty? (i dont play a hunter)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    And of course, that getting full tier 1 then replacing it with full tier 2 is going to take many weeks and even months in comparison to retails insta-catapult-to-the-latest-raid design.
    And why is it actually a good thing to be forced to run trivial content that get's one-shot by raids that aren't even max level, let alone optimally geared, for months?

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I was talking about gear acquisition in raids, yes. BfA and many expansions before obviously have alternate sources of gear that Classic lack - Benthic gear, Residuum gear, WQ drops, Unsullied gear, etc. etc. But top-end raid gear still arrives at basically the same speed it did before - one drop per boss per week, if you're lucky enough to have something drop for your class/spec.
    classic loot is half the amount for twice the people dude

it's not nearly the same

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hey There Guys its Metro View Post
    Sadly, many of the replies in this thread say a lot about the Classic community.
    Anyone saying "Maybe classic isn't for you," are basically admitting the game has an worrying shelf life and most of the game is about leveling.

Imagine if some one said this about live wow?
    You would think they were very casual or just a noob in general right?

So in the end, their words probably are the ones to heed.
    If you like playing a video game with a lot of repeatable challenging end game content, then don't play Classic.

If you want to relive the days when you were a noob and level characters for years, then this is the one!
    no, they're just saying it's a vastly different game from retail.

in the same vein as "I dont like having to last hit in LoL compared to HotS"
    then maybe LOL isnt for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphatorg View Post
    And why is it actually a good thing to be forced to run trivial content that get's one-shot by raids that aren't even max level, let alone optimally geared, for months?
    Oh hey, it's the BFA style of arguing why only one raid should be relevant at a time.

Because a MMORPG thrives on long-term design that keeps people playing and always having a goal, and not "please re-subscribe, we have like a weeks casual content for you to blaze through with the latest update! Please forget to unsubscribe before you leave."

We're evidently going to have <APES> representing raiders until actual, average guilds start running MC. I was worried this would happen once the private server groups got to 60, but I suppose I am not in the least surprised people would try using them to argue about classic raids.
    <APES> are essentially speedrunners with years of classic experience through private realms.
    You're essentially comparing Method to players who are currently level 25-40.

MC and Onyxia won't be "trivial content" for people once typical players actually start raiding.
    Will it be very hard for guilds considering all the info available? Not really, but they aren't going to blaze through it the first evening.

in the same vein as "I dont like having to last hit in LoL compared to HotS"
    then maybe LOL isnt for you.
    This is such a ridiculously good example really. It's a bit strange that it's so controversial that Classic isn't tailored to everyone. If you don't like old style, grindy RPGs it simply isn't tailored to you.
    Last-hitting can feel annoying, frustrating, but it's also easy to see how it promotes focus, accuracy and skill. It's convenient and easy to argue for removing last hitting but something is lost when it's gone. HotS focus on the TEAM rather than individual members, not even allowing people to be different levels, was probably a reason why it was never very popular.
    And a lot was lost in WOW when all the systems started promoting solo, blazing-speed godmode play, showering people with randomized loot, over a more long-term pacing.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2019-09-05 at 09:55 AM.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Oh hey, it's the BFA style of arguing why only one raid should be relevant at a time.

Because a MMORPG thrives on long-term design that keeps people playing and always having a goal, and not "please re-subscribe, we have like a weeks casual content for you to blaze through with the latest update! Please forget to unsubscribe before you leave."

We're evidently going to have <APES> representing raiders until actual, average guilds start running MC. I was worried this would happen once the private server groups got to 60, but I suppose I am not in the least surprised people would try using them to argue about classic raids.
    <APES> are essentially speedrunners with years of classic experience through private realms.
    You're essentially comparing Method to players who are currently level 25-40.

MC and Onyxia won't be "trivial content" for people once typical players actually start raiding.
    Will it be very hard for guilds considering all the info available? Not really, but they aren't going to blaze through it the first evening.

I mean it's not just APES - on WCL alone there are three other guilds who cleared MC. And it's not like experience is such a huge factor, when bosses only have 1-2 abilities.
    Maybe the average guild will take 1 or 2 weeks of raiding to clear MC, I find that hard to predict, but that wasn't the point. It's about what comes after. How it's supposedly great to run MC over and over and over again, just because the bosses drop so little loot.

It's not like Classic fills the gaps with amazing/engaging content. In reality it's actually rather tedious busy work/grinds, so why is it better than a model that allows you to take it slow(er) between raids?

So the ability to communicate cross faction doesnt change the game? Layering isnt game changing? Allowing twice as many debuffs on a boss isnt a gameplay change for you?

I just hope i can still find the goalposts when you are done moving them!
    You're being childish and ignorant and bringing up the debuff slots is only cementing it further