Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Returning player asking what wrong with BFA

Have not played since release month of legion and like all others came to check out classic. Now I have I wanna level in BFA on the side.

But I have heard rumors BFA is a bad expansion but can not find any info on why this is. Can anyone explain.

Follow up question as I have read a lot of comments. How solo friendly is wow now days. I like too level my toons, pvp and gold making on all my alts.
    Last edited by xzanle; 2019-09-05 at 11:25 PM.

This is going to be a shocker for you but -- nothing. It's just the current hate bandwagon to be on.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's largely based on personal preference but what has generally been mentioned as bad:
    The Expansion's Story.
    Class Balance and Design.
    Azerite, it's equipment and Essences.
    Islands.
    War Campaign.
    Certain Raids.
    PvP.
    and Warfronts.
    So pretty much all features of the expansion have had issues.
    Actually I guess Dungeons and Mythic+ has been most fine apart from complaints about third party addons tied to it.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Quote Originally Posted by xzanle View Post
    Have not played since release month of legion and like all others came to check out classic. Now I have I wanna level in BFA on the side.

But I have heard rumors BFA is a bad expansion but can not find any info on why this is. Can anyone explain
    Did you like Legion? You will probably like BfA. Did you not like Legion? You will probably not like BfA. Why do people rely on others to tell them what to think? Whether something is bad or good is going to depend on if you, personally, enjoy that thing.

But I have heard rumors BFA is a bad expansion but can not find any info on why this is. Can anyone explain
    Play the game and see what you do and don't like. Complaints others have had might be non issues for you or things you would have never noticed, why seek out negativity?
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing really, its just cool to hate bfa at the moment.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by gleepot View Post
    This is going to be a shocker for you but -- nothing. It's just the current hate bandwagon to be on.
    Oh true. I was under the assumption it was all bad. All my mates are playing classic and I’m still invested in my toons I have had for years. And now my son is older I can play again. So coming back playing very casual had been a blast. Had my first experience in BFA last night and had a blast, been on classic since it hit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Imagine if an AI tried to design the perfect MMO, but keeps forgetting how important human psychology is when making a game feel rewarding and fun to play in the long run.

BFA is "perfection", but perfection is boring.
    It has so much content, yet makes sure you can blaze through it in a couple of afternoons because of how powerful you are per default.
    You have so many ways to get loot, but you are also always getting loot that vastly outpaces the actual difficulty of the content you did to get it, you are NEVER undergeared for anything except premade content.
    Anything you attain in the current patch will be made entirely void in the next. Content patches aren't additions to existing content, they replace it entirely.

BFA is like a Diablo 3 season. It might be fun to log-in-and-win now and then, but it doesn't keep players interested for more than a couple of weeks. Left are mythic raiders and transmog-/mountcollectors.
    Hopefully the next expansion will learn from these mistakes.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

The best way to answer this really is going to be to play it. After a while you'll either be fine with it or see why so many people are upset.

It isn't just a hate bandwagon though, that's just these guys trying to hand wave away opinions they dislike.

Well Azerite grind is more boring then we had in Legion with our weapons (step backward)
    For the rest all depends if you like the BfA features or hate them:

Island exp, rewards very RNG and low drop and you might get tiered of them pretty fast.
    Warfronts, i found them pretty fun but like BGs you can AFK and get rewards for no effort so might be annoying if you get into a group with these players.

For the rest its a decent exp pack if you like the storyline the removing of the tier sets bothered me aswell tho in this exp pack.

Play and see for yourself. According to players, every expansion was terrible, and so was classic. Build your own opinion.

Basically:
    Classes are watered down Legion versions.
    The Azerite System is inferior to the Artifact system from Legion.
    New Content (Island Expeditions; Warfronts) isn't exactly fun.
    Continued heavy RNG loot system (Personal Loot, Weekly Chest, Titanforging) do not make the gearing process engaging.
    Every major patch pulls a softreset on gear and you replace your entire gear from the previous patch within days, depending on how much M+ you're willing to farm.

It would be a salvageable expansion if not for the rather poor state of class design.

Honestly it's a middle-of-the pack xpac that's getting way too much hate due to hyperbole and also classic coming out so you got the "it was better in the old days" old people swinging at retail. Honestly i've had more fun in BFA than i had in Cata, WoD or even Wotlk but it doesn't reach the levels of TBC, MoP or Legion.

The expansion did a lot of controversial big events regarding the war to drum up faction conflict, and wound up igniting a community conflict. It didn't make a good combo with people finding a lot of things they liked about Legion cut, and replacement features like azerite armor not being popular.

I feel like they started off on a bad foot and have been working to salvage things. Azerite essences for example adding more of that sense of progression that was missing from the armor, and that sense of progression also being much more front-and-center in Mechagon and Nazjatar.

You really missed out on Legion IMO, that was my favorite expansion. Most of my gripes are things they cut between then and now. The class order hall campaigns should all still be playable, those are really neat, even if the artifacts themselves are de-powered.

Some of my favorite BFA things are warmode, which reignited open world pvp as an optional toggle, allied races, which added a ton of new race flavors like nightborne and zandalari, and the zones themselves, for which the artists and musicians did a great job on.

And the cinematics of course, got to mention them. Four in one expansion, that's unprecedented.

People are cry babies that fail to realize just because they didn't like it, doesn't mean everyone else shares the same opinion. But in today's world, where if you disagree with my opinion you're not only wrong but you're a <insert random insult here>, we only hear how bad the game is from the players who complain. Most people who ENJOY the game, aren't on these forums defending it, they're playing it. Most forums I've been to are insanely toxic, this one is one of the biggest offenders.

Its the same as every other expansion, but Blizzard did 1 small fuck up, overall wise, not the whine about classes, its legit whine but its also ehhh.

They took the things that "Worked" aka Mythic plus and World Quests and didnt change a single thing so it felt like a 3rd year of Legion, especially since Azerite farm = Artifact farm,

They should have expanded the World Quest system to something less spammy, more immersive and massive, and they did change the M+ system a bit, but didnt add any actual new affixes that we had to actually learn, so it was literally, replaying Legion game mechanics.

Also the content they added as extras in BFA, Islands/Warfronts, are for the extremely casual players, which the majority isnt, they are casual, they arent extremely casual that will enjoy this type of content because they will see it once or twice.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-09-05 at 09:03 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    In general people hated BfA because 8.0 had lot of problems (mostly ton of bugs and bad max level progression system), especially if you compare it to Legion. Blizzard fixed most problems, but hate remained. And of course you must add general "current expac bad" buzz to that.

Better check for yourself, but if Legion kept you only for month, I don't BfA could do that for much longer. Unless reason for quiting was more specific, for example Legion legendaries system is now gone.

while reading all „bfa is fine” comments remember, that even if blizz were to start throwing apeshit at people during blizzcon, there would be people defending it

Pretty sure that those that could answer have all likely quit, and aren't likely to respond.

The new content added in BFA were Island Expeditions and Warfronts... both content sucks.. especially Warfronts.

The part of the Blizzard Team that was responsible for Island Expeditions and Warfronts should be fired.. now.