View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    The political declaration is the relationship after we've left the EU, which could involve remaining in the single market or a customs union.

The backstop is currently in place because of the Conservative redlines against either of those means that there is a lack of solution to the Irish border.
    If the UK leaves, there is no way it's staying in the single market or the customs union. Not after all they've pulled so far, not after all the lies and insults. I think at this point, there is no good will left between the EU and the UK. After Brexit the UK may look forward to a trade agreement, but it will take a long time to get even to that.

How Brexit became a thing still boggles my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I still don't know why the EU granted the last extension.
    They don't want recessions that comes with Britain actually leaving, duh.

They are just as interested in kicking the can down the road as UK parliament if revoking A50 is not possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    If you think that anyone in parliament, leave or remain, is going to agree to the UK being in the SM and CU
    www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-43189878

Then you had the Ken Clarke CU plan that almost got a majority in the IV (and had abstentions from the SNP and Conservatives who did not want to follow the whip) so your suggestion that a CU is something no one in Parliament would support is kinda false.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Quote Originally Posted by nRes View Post
    If the UK leaves, there is no way it's staying in the single market or the customs union. Not after all they've pulled so far, not after all the lies and insults. I think at this point, there is no good will left between the EU and the UK. After Brexit the UK may look forward to a trade agreement, but it will take a long time to get even to that.

The EU is pretty emotionless about these types of things. Sure, the players will be frustrated, but the reaction from the institution European Union doesn't care about goodwill, it cares about the result. Pure pragmatism.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not sure why you think Europe would turn down a consistent and well established trading route because of pettiness.

This isn't Donald Trump we're negotiating with.

I'm not sure why you think Europe would turn down a consistent and well established trading route because of pettiness.

Mostly because that trading route is going to be closed to us by the UK. It's not like the EU wanted to kick the UK out...
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-09-06 at 08:51 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

10+ Year Old Account
    At this point though I'm starting to get disappointed in the EU a little bit. It's pretty obvious there are many people in the UK who not only have negative views towards the EU project, but are completely against it. I doubt that number has decreased since the referendum, it may have even increased, we can't know.

I understand there will be an economical impact to the rest of the EU if the UK crashes out, but I think at this point they have become a bit of a tumor and are dragging us down. We have to put this behind us as soon as possible so we can focus on fixing the issues within the EU. So if the brits can't do it, maybe it's time for the EU to speed up their exit. No more extensions, no more hand holding. There are way bigger issues in the world than the tantrums of the UK populace. It's time to move on and let them sort their mess outside of the EU.
    Well we can blame the "balanced" British media for this. When balance of debate is a very angry leaver, against a moderate remainer, and absolutely no input from the EU at all. You have to dig through a whole lot of bullshit to find anything from what the EU are actually saying. And obviously, most people don't dig. They look at Jezza's face photoshopped onto a fucking chicken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Mostly because that trading route is going to be closed to us by the UK. It's not like the EU wanted to kick the UK out...
    Hence why I'm hoping this next extension* will finally result in a change of Government to one that is far more amicable with dealing with the EU.

I mean it seems almost inevitable that an election is coming, this current government cannot legislate with such small numbers, we have to have a change.

The one flaw in the plan is the result is not in any way guarenteed to end in a positive outcome with regards to who takes power.

*assuming it is granted.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    They don't want recessions that comes with Britain actually leaving, duh.
    The UK needs the EU a lot more than vice versa.

Kind of irrelevant though, because of course they'll still wind up trading with one another. The UK will just get a worse deal out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Well we can blame the "balanced" British media for this. When balance of debate is a very angry leaver, against a moderate remainer, and absolutely no input from the EU at all. You have to dig through a whole lot of bullshit to find anything from what the EU are actually saying. And obviously, most people don't dig. They look at Jezza's face photoshopped onto a fucking chicken.
    Meanwhile their scottish variant of the same newspaper praises Corbyn and mocks Johnson.

The Sun really is the fucking worst.

The political declaration is just what it says, a political declaration. The Withdrawal Agreement is the treaty that sets out the UK's future relationship with the EU.
    Do you ever stop and think that maybe if you form strong opinions without knowing anything about a topic it might lead to you being publicly embarrassed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

What message would that send to the rest of the EU then? If anyone can leave whilst retaining all the benefits, why is the EU even existing? Who's gonna be next, Italy? Hungary?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    The EU has a lot of screw ups to get blamed for, however the manipulative british media is entirely on the brits. The EU has enough to deal with, it doesn't need to also be involved in the public media of every member state. It's up to the member states to handle their own business properly and take responsibility for their failures.

10+ Year Old Account
    leave whilst retaining all the benefits
    Yeaaaaah no, having a trade agreement is far from all the benefits. We would no longer see rebates for farmers and other professions that the EU support financially for example.

Yeaaaaah no, having a trade agreement is far from all the benefits. We would no longer see rebates for farmers and other professions that the EU support financially for example.
    Staying in the single market and the customs union means far more than having a trade agreement. I think if the EU allows this to happen it will be a betrayal to every other member state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Staying in the single market and the customs union means far more than having a trade agreement. I think if the EU allows this to happen it will be a betrayal to every other member state.
    I did state "or" on this. I do think just a CU is the likeliest option to secure a future working relationship.

10+ Year Old Account

The EU has a lot of screw ups to get blamed for, however the manipulative british media is entirely on the brits. The EU has enough to deal with, it doesn't need to also be involved in the public media of every member state. It's up to the member states to handle their own business properly and take responsibility for their failures.
    I’m absolutely not blaming the EU for this, the EU have actually defended their corner, it’s absolutely on the media, especially the BBC who are supposed to be impartial to report it when they do so. So far, it seems it seems to be largely only Channel 4 news, which is barely relevant to anyone who have tried.

Obviously this plays into Boris’s narrative that the EU are being uncooperative; because if we’re not seeing them speak, then that’s exactly how they’ll come across.

- - - Updated - - -

They said they wouldn’t split the big 4, customs union, free movement, ECJ, and Single Market. They never said we couldn’t have them, just that we could cherry pick which. All or nothing. This was clear long before we voted. This was effectively EEA membership.

Except it actually doesn't. The Withdrawal agreement is quite literally that, it's the means of exit from the EU, it is not the future relationship.

https://fullfact.org/europe/withdraw...ot-trade-deal/
    Except it does. The Withdrawal Agreement sets the terms of how the UK and EU will relate to one and other whilst the UK exits the EU and until a further trade deal can be agreed, the trade deal we will, hopefully, negotiate be built upon the base provided by the WA and the terms of the future trade deal will supersede those of the WA.

I do accept that I could have worded my previous post better.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-09-06 at 12:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conzalaras View Post
    Well, yes welcome to our world on the left where any one who isn't sucking up to big corporations gets pilloried by all the big newspapers.
    wat? If you want a political side sucking up to big corporations, you'd be looking at the right, not the left.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-43189878

Then you had the Ken Clarke CU plan that almost got a majority in the IV (and had abstentions from the SNP and Conservatives who did not want to follow the whip) so your suggestion that a CU is something no one in Parliament would support is kinda false.
    Ken Clarke's CU plan failed to pass, and unfortunately for Clarke, remaining in the CU is affected by the very same issue that plagues the current WA - it requires the backstop.

However that is neither here nor there as my point suggestion was not that parliament would agree to CU membership (which it didn't, so it is odd that you would call this false) it was that parliament would not agree to being the SM and CU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Do you ever stop and think that maybe if you form strong opinions without knowing anything about a topic it might lead to you being publicly embarrassed?
    Well it doesn't appear to be a hindrance to you.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what you believe is wrong?

Except it does. The Withdrawal Agreement sets the terms of how the UK and EU relate to one and other whilst the UK exits the EU and until a further trade deal can be agreed, the trade deal we will, hopefully, negotiate be built upon the base provided by the WA and the terms of the future trade deal will supersede those of the WA.
    This is only correct in the most literal of all senses. Technically, anything is "setting the term of future relationships", including the mere existance of the UK and the EU. Heck, even if one of them would cease to exist tomorrow, that would be "setting the term of the future relationship", ie. there not being a future for one of them.

So, I am probably sounding arrogant again, or belittling, but what actually is happening is that the WA is the dissolution of an existing relationship, that is the membership of the UK to the EU. The clue is in the name "Withdrawal Agreement". The future relationship is set to be determined in an FTA that is yet to be negotiated. Remember 3 years ago when the EU said they would do this in two steps, withdrawing and then negotiating the new relationship? We're still at stage one.

Could the WA be replaced by an FTA? Yeah, sure. But it may not. The EU doesn't enter just any FTA, there is no guarantee. The EU walked out on TTIP negotiations without the US and never looked back. So the WA's conditions may very well be how it's going to be: The UK not a member of the EU without any special relationship. A third country. Blurring the lines doesn't help anyone.