Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I've been reading about Korean education and want to know why it's looked down on

I've been very admiring and envious of South Korea's fiercely competitive, ruthless educational and social policies that allow their country to flourish as it does: You're either a winner or a loser. People are mind washed into being so scared of being a loser or "losing" in South Korea, they give up their lives to study at the expense of their happiness. It has a double-edged drawback of making the country a hotbed (10th worldwide) for suicide but the people that come out on top are always big winners in adulthood.

What I want to know is: In this life where we're always racing and struggling for permanent security in adulthood, what's wrong with expunging all the distractions growing up if it means you will most likely reach that end? People often complain American youths and education are declining owed to social trends and rebelliousness and still look down on the way Korea does things. Not for a lack of success but due to supposedly being "morally reprehensible."

I envy Korea because I wish I grew up in such an environment. As an adult, I live a constantly miserable life of regret owed to a lack of proper discipline and being spoiled with what forms the basis of my happiness like video games, unfortunately.

Korea gets beat on PISA scores for science literacy by Asian-Americans (data here and here). What's the point in a viciously cutthroat system that drives people to suicide if it can't even beat the American system that everyone shits on all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Korea gets beat on PISA scores for science literacy by Asian-Americans (data here and here). What's the point in a viciously cutthroat system that drives people to suicide if it can't even beat the American system that everyone shits on all the time?
    If that's legitimate and through your claim, mine, and the rest of the world's, we shouldn't be complaining/shitting about American education as often as we do. But since we do, what you linked comes off as very selective.

I mean don't get me wrong, America can and does produce famous winners like Trump but what about with regards to most people? At least in regards to living a secure life.

I lived in South Korea for half a year. It was a fun time but I've seen enough of their society that it drove me away; or rather it showed me that my future isn't there.
    Studying all day long, being almost constantly separated by gender, only getting shitfaced later with your boss, but hardly ever getting the opportunity to be your own boss. No thanks.

Most people live as subordinates in companies owned by the most influential families in the country. You have no chance of ever getting into these circles.
    Essentially you throw your life away for a middle management position. Hell naw.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    If that's legitimate and through your claim, mine, and the rest of the world's, we shouldn't be complaining/shitting about American education as often as we do. But since we do, what you linked comes off as very selective.

I mean don't get me wrong, America can and does produce famous winners like Trump but what about with regards to most people? At least in regards to living a secure life.
    I don't shit on American education much and this is exactly why. The system works fine for kids that show up ready to learn.

This seems like a poor example. What kind of Asian Americans? How many generations in America? Generally the further along the generations the more they fall in line with the average American. Immigrants and those form immigrant families overall tend to perform better than natives. So a immigrant or person of an immigrant family in USA or UK likely will perform better than a Native Korean in Korea.

My room mate in college went to go teach English in Korean middle school and after a year he's ready to leave and try to go to Europe.

I don't shit on American education much and this is exactly why. The system works fine for kids that show up ready to learn.
    The system works if you reside in the right state and the right district.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Unless you live in a poor neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown View Post
    Those kids in poor districts only have themselves to blame /s

I envy Korea because I wish I grew up in such an environment. As an adult, I live a constantly miserable life of regret owed to a lack of proper discipline and being spoiled with what forms the basis of my happiness like video games, unfortunately.
    Go to school in the morning, come back home briefly to eat, go back to school in evening, go back home around 9-10 pm and come back at like 10-11 pm and study more before going to bed and then wake up 6 am next morning to do it all again.

You wish you grew up with this? I don't believe that for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown View Post
    This isn't a criticism of the education system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This isn't a criticism of the education system.
    The amount of money going into it is not part of the problem?

lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    Go to school in the morning, come back home briefly to eat, go back to school in evening, go back home around 9-10 pm and come back at like 10-11 pm and study more before going to bed and then wake up 6 am next morning to do it all again.

You wish you grew up with this? I don't believe that for a second.
    Yes, I genuinely do. Because what people don't beat into you or psychologically lecture you on anymore is what slacking off or being spoiled can entail if life slightly goes wrong in adulthood.

I admit I lived a carefree and happy life in childhood up until turning into an adult. Now I'm fucking miserable and suffering a fate worse than death for a presumably long life to come. I would trade this for an unhappy and nightmarish childhood for a carefree life as an adult 100%. Because as we know, your realistic 60+ years of adulthood far outweigh those 18 years of being a kid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I genuinely do. Because what people don't beat into you or psychologically lecture you on anymore is what slacking off or being spoiled can entail if life slightly goes wrong in adulthood.

I admit I lived a carefree and happy life in childhood up until turning into an adult. Now I'm fucking miserable and suffering a fate worse than death for a presumably long life to come. I would trade this for an unhappy and nightmarish childhood for a carefree life as an adult 100%. Because as we know, your realistic 60+ years of adulthood far outweigh those 18 years of being a kid.
    In a country that has that sort of upbringing?
    Oh you sweet summer child.

Sounds miserable, no wonder they have such a high suicide rate.

I admit I lived a carefree and happy life in childhood up until turning into an adult. Now I'm fucking miserable and suffering a fate worse than death for a presumably long life to come. I would trade this for an unhappy and nightmarish childhood for a carefree life as an adult 100%.
    Do you even know what adult life is like here? It's certainly not carefree. Far from it.

It has a double-edged drawback of making the country a hotbed (10th worldwide) for suicide but the people that come out on top are always big winners in adulthood.
    I admit I lived a carefree and happy life in childhood up until turning into an adult. Now I'm fucking miserable and suffering a fate worse than death for a presumably long life to come. I would trade this for an unhappy and nightmarish childhood for a carefree life as an adult 100%.
    Want to try again?

What is so nightmarish about your life? A lack of discipline? Join the military or some shit than.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    What is so nightmarish about your life? A lack of discipline? Join the military or some shit than.
    Everything past 20s. I'm disciplined now after going through the initial circle of adulthood hell at the least.

You can't deny how much better a lot of people would be if they studied their asses off and genuinely did everything right up to 18. Because then even if you're not a super winner, you still have a fighting chance at finding a good life.