Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Invent a New Character

As a long time reader and mostly lurker on the Lore forums, I feel like we mostly retread the same ground. At this midway point in the expansion, without much recent news or signs of more on the horizon, I thought it would be fun to get your thoughts on a character you would like to see added to the narrative.

What character (including their race, class, personality, or other relevant characteristics) would you add to the game in order to move the narrative forward or develop an underused area of the lore? Would this new character serve as a counterweight to some of the existing characters and themes in the lore, or would they advance a new narrative thread? Here's hoping for even one non-meme response.

As a template suggestion, but feel free to innovate/expand:

Race:
    Class:
    Alignment:
    Narrative Contribution:

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Difficult for me to narrow this done to a single character, per se; but I think the various classes need their own distinct leaders in addition to the leaders of the current groups and racial leaders - new characters who epitomize that class in the world: the model Warrior, the most learned Mage, the shiftiest Rogue, etc. etc. The important thing about this little cast is that they be unassociated with previous or the current goings-on in WoW. Alignments could vary, of course; but the narrative contribution would be distract from purely factional narratives and focus instead on class-based quest chains and stories resulting in unique incomparable rewards (like class-based xmog's, titles, mounts, toys, etc. etc.)
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

I want a conquering unknown human nation that is xenophobic and believes all other life on Azeroth is an abomination. They are willing to recruit disgruntled humans from fractured kingdoms but that's the extent of their tolerance. I want them to be powerful not just in magic but in faith and steel and technology. I want this force to constantly win each engagement until all of the player races must unite to push back. I know it's cliche but it would finally end the Alliance/ Horde conflict as survival becomes more important. Lastly, I do not want this to be a player faction. It must remain NPC controlled even if they end up recruiting former allies into their ranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Difficult for me to narrow this done to a single character, per se; but I think the various classes need their own distinct leaders in addition to the leaders of the current groups and racial leaders - new characters who epitomize that class in the world: the model Warrior, the most learned Mage, the shiftiest Rogue, etc. etc. The important thing about this little cast is that they be unassociated with previous or the current goings-on in WoW. Alignments could vary, of course; but the narrative contribution would be distract from purely factional narratives and focus instead on class-based quest chains and stories resulting in unique incomparable rewards (like class-based xmog's, titles, mounts, toys, etc. etc.)
    I feel like we were supposed to be this in Legion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I want a conquering unknown human nation that is xenophobic and believes all other life on Azeroth is an abomination. They are willing to recruit disgruntled humans from fractured kingdoms but that's the extent of their tolerance. I want them to be powerful not just in magic but in faith and steel and technology. I want this force to constantly win each engagement until all of the player races must unite to push back. I know it's cliche but it would finally end the Alliance/ Horde conflict as survival becomes more important. Lastly, I do not want this to be a player faction. It must remain NPC controlled even if they end up recruiting former allies into their ranks.
    If this isn't lead by the lost son of Garithos it's not even worth considering.

The Scarlet Crusade kind of fits this bill, no?

- - - Updated - - -

On topic, Blizzard's issue hasn't been lack of introducing new characters, it's been HOW they write the great roster they developed in Warcraft III. Even Garrosh who was a WoW original, so much promise and looked how they handled him. Introducing new characters when your priority isn't crafting great stories with them and just using them as disposable raid bosses means no one new character would ideally fix narrative issues.

I support the Scarlets nation idea from above. It'd be beyond awesome if Othmar Garithos jr. would grace the lore with his presence. Humanity is in peril.

I'd also enjoy non Thrall orc warchief who Horde wouldn't turn against. That one would be great.

I want a Nagash-like character of any race or class to purge this godforsaken setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Anything who is not an elf im on board.

Personally i would like a forsaken from Lordaeron to ascend to king and led then, just like the players in appearance, but with somehow a "gentleman" even in the death, trying to rule with nobility but also with pragmatism to do necessary trying to not be a monster, like a medieval king with horror elements.

this could also put bullshit light forsaken and calia into the dumpster, away from us.

Race: A dragonkin (Could be even a Chromatic one)
    Class: Anything that represent meele combat
    Alignment: Horde/Alliance (Neutral)
    Narrative Contribution: Act as true conduit between Factions to end any kind of conflict and create a neutral ground to face what's next.
    Recognize the Hero as a powerfull being and actually do something about it (not only here's your tittle)
    Would somehow manipulate time (since hes also Bronze Dragonflight) and throw the Player waaay in the future, like 1 or 2 ages, to basically create whole new characters (a kind of a new ground zero to the Lore).
    "There is a hole, in a more ancient part of the mmo-champion forum. A pit where men are thrown to be forgotten. But sometimes a troll rises from the darkness. Sometimes, the hole sends something back... to make some pointless comment"

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't think the new characters necessarily need a class. And I don't mean it in the sense that they need to be peasants. But not playable classes. How about we dwell a little on alchemists? Or chefs? Considering she owns the black market I'd say Madam Goya probably has the time of her life with BfA. Or let's look at Halford Ramsay and see what he has been up to since the comic.

For new characters I's pick a Monk cause they don't have a large enough presence. For race I would go with Worgen for him (or her) to pave the way to playable worgen monks. And make him/her a bit more nuanced than blanduin and his cheerleaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Kythera View Post
    As a long time reader and mostly lurker on the Lore forums, I feel like we mostly retread the same ground. At this midway point in the expansion, without much recent news or signs of more on the horizon, I thought it would be fun to get your thoughts on a character you would like to see added to the narrative.

What character (including their race, class, personality, or other relevant characteristics) would you add to the game in order to move the narrative forward or develop an underused area of the lore? Would this new character serve as a counterweight to some of the existing characters and themes in the lore, or would they advance a new narrative thread? Here's hoping for even one non-meme response.

As a template suggestion, but feel free to innovate/expand:

Race:
    Class:
    Alignment:
    Narrative Contribution:
    Naga
    Sun's Trident of the Fathoms (paladin)
    Lawful good
    The true follower of Lestharia Vashj

This monument stands testament to the benevolent leadership of our beloved Matron Lestharia Vashj. For a hundred years, she has ushered the people of her gleaming city, Vashj'ir into an age of endless prosperity. May she and her daughter, the radiant Lady Vashj, continue to light the way of our people in our darkest nights for a hundred years to come.

5+ Year Old Account
    I just want to see an Azerothian version of Cersei Lannister.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    I just want to see an Azerothian version of Cersei Lannister.
    That's pretty close to what Katrana Prestor was back in the days. When the Alliance was interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I want a Nagash-like character of any race or class to purge this godforsaken setting.
    I'd go with a nice little Exterminatus, but Nagash works for me, aswell.

We all know nothing about the night elfs before Queen Azshara, but we al want to know who was the person who made the elven empire big. You hear nothing about those who made the elven empire.

So how about some princes left to find new continents which they could rule, they left before Queen Azshara became the boss. With them the most prominent peoples and they also took some vials of the well of eternity so they could tap into it. The leader of them are every representives of the 7 households. After the sundering some land were combined with their continent, making it almost as big as old kalimdor. Furthermore they cant go back because a creature is making sure that they cant go to our side. So most of the time the creature destroys everything.

So as i said, 7 counsellors. One wants to experiment, other wants to chill, other wants elves to conquer, other wants to learn, other wants to tinker, other wants the best for night elves, last one wants credit for everything.

You could make them for alliance, whereas horde gets the thousands of slaves of those night elfs. Basically vulpera, lizard people, horde members, large trolls races that were thought to be extinct.
    And in those slaves there are more notable character who resent their captors (night elfs). So basically from here you can magically get new characters, all the way to the true heir of silvermoon city.

It also shows that alliance can go grey aswell.
    Last edited by Talrath; 2019-09-10 at 09:41 PM.

Race: Void elf

Class: Shadow Priest

Alignment: It is difficult for me to choose one. I guess the closest one would be neutral evil.

Backstory/Narrative purpose: This is just a concept I came up with to explain his motivations and his place in the storyline:

He was a priest once, but during the invasion of Arthas his family was butchered before his very eyes and his Light powers could do nothing about it. From that day, he would reject the Light, deeming it weak and ineffective. He would be one of the first to join Magister Umbric, enticed by his research and by his promises of finding a weapon strong enough to ensure Silvermoon's survival. I am thinking he could serve as Umbric's second-in-command, so that his relevance in the storyline is not forced. After seeing the Void in action and wielding it for himself, he would realize that it is the only weapon capable of protecting Azeroth from anyone who would harm it.

His main motivation would be to master the Void, this weapon powerful enough to protect Azeroth from evil. But he would have a different mentality from Alleria and Locus-Walker. He would not care about control or moderation. He would just unleash it all, with no concern for those around him. He would probably be too traumatized by what happened to him to think about holding back against an enemy that could threaten the entire cosmos.

He does not want to fail his loved ones again. So he would be pretty radical about using the Void to its full potential and scope, no matter the cost. Yet his resolve and mindset would end up corrupting him, to the point that he would be willing to commit serious war crimes (like destroying a Void-corrupted city instead of trying to heal its civilians) if it meant that he could damage the Void -- or really, any force of evil that threatens the world.

He could also form a rivalry with the Light-based characters of the Alliance, claiming that the Light cannot protect the ones you love and that the Void is the only way to ensure the survival of all races. He would also advocate for "Voidforging" the Alliance army. He would rationalize this by saying that it would greatly increase their chances of defeating the Void Lords. So unlike Illidan, who did not want to turn everyone into a demon hunter, this character would indeed seek to turn everyone into a Void-based fighter, because he would basically shun any power that is not the Void. In his mind, only the shadows can truly protect the world. He is flawed in the sense that he thinks he knows better than everyone else. He wouldn't even try to listen to a druid, a shaman, a paladin, a death knight, or a monk. No, he'd just start from the assumption that whatever power they wield would not be able to protect Azeroth from the "real threat", and that they can either "wake up" or fail.

Because of this, he would also be pretty concerned with the future of the void elves. He wouldn't want his people to vanish, because he sees them as the only hope Azeroth has of stopping the Void Lords. So he would go to extreme lengths to guarantee the future of his race -- abducting elves, forcefully turning them into void elves in gruesome ways, etc. But he would try to do this in secret, for obvious reasons.

Why would this character be neutral evil? Because he wouldn't really be a complete lunatic who just does things for the sake of chaos (so a chaotic person), nor would he follow a strict code or law (like a lawful person). He would basically bend the law or follow it only when it suits him. And at the same time, he would not kill someone or destroy a town if he knows they do not pose any kind of threat to the world. He would also hold allegiance to nobody but himself and his cause. If he thought Alleria and Umbric were no longer able to protect Azeroth or work in its best interests, he wouldn't hesitate to betray them and find a more preferable leader.

Why do I want a character like this? Because I'd like for a more "villainous" void elf, as opposed to the "tame" Alleria and Umbric. And at the same time, I want more Alliance characters that can start inner drama.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-09-10 at 09:53 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    this is just a fan fiction thread which I'm pretty sure is not allowed in this sub forum

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    So Legion Order halls.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    this is just a fan fiction thread which I'm pretty sure is not allowed in this sub forum
    IS fan fiction not allowed on mmo champ? I wonder why.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't you literally just describe the Scarlet Crusade?

Draenei
    Priest

Kills Anduin, either because of void corruption or zealotry to the light. This puts the spotlight on Velen. It also lets Genn off his leash and he and Sylvanas can kill each other.