Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Yes it is a bad thing they end up in debt, but they don't have to.
    Hint: Maybe the answer is to criticise the system that tries to convince them they do rather than blaming people for getting into debt.

Again, it's pretty clear you're more interested in showing how you are too cool to buy into the system than actually, you know, helping.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course I am helping, I am spreading information to people how to get dirt cheap education and not end up in debt. This knowledge may help them.
    What did you do, except QQing and insulting the person that tries to help?
    The responsible thing.

Pushing for the abolition of tuition fees, like in civilized countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Hint: Maybe the answer is to criticise the system that tries to convince them they do rather than blaming people for getting into debt.

Again, it's pretty clear you're more interested in showing how you are too cool to buy into the system than actually, you know, helping

The responsible thing.

Pushing for the abolition of tuition fees, like in civilized countries.
    Well that is your answer.
    For the student that wants to enroll to university NOW, my answer is the only actual, real answer.
    Actual real solution to a problem that gets them depressed!
    Yours is just "wait, things will get better if we fight. Someday. Maybe"
    Are you trying to get them more depressed?

It seems you put your politics above actually helping
    and the geek shall inherit the earth

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that is your answer.
    For the student that wants to enroll to university NOW, my answer is the only actual, real answer.
    Okay. And why do you think people enroll in university in the first place.

Chances are it's because they won't earn a living wage otherwise. So, what's your recommendation for people that either don't have degrees or don't have the money to afford even a basic degree in the meantime?

Actual real solution to a problem that gets them depressed!
    Yours is just "wait, things will get better if we fight. Someday. Maybe"
    Are you trying to get them more depressed?
    No, mine is "we should be questioning the entire system that led us to this point and when people understand that they ultimately have little agency in it they will have less reason to take out their frustration on themselves".

Depression and apathy is an intended goal of the system, not an incidental side effect. It's designed to produce compliant factory workers first and foremost. Your 'solution' is just "the system is fine, you being in debt is entirely your fault for not doing these 10 easy steps "
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said online. Online does not care where you live!
    It is available to everyone on the planet.

On topic: I think students, from younger age, will have a much easier time if they know this option is available, and they don't have to worry about debt and stuff. It may help suicide rates. Instead all they hear is how bad things are (they are not!) and how hard it is to get educated (it is not)
    Even if it is online, it won't be accredited in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sirmixalot View Post
    Even then, good luck trying to get a job with a degree from the Online University of Nigeria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even then, good luck trying to get a job with a degree from the Online University of Nigeria.
    Exactly, employers typically check that kind of thing during the hiring process.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Zelk; 2019-09-10 at 10:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly, employers typically check that kind of thing during the hiring process.
    I mean, let's be real here.

The "but community college!"/"but online college!"/"but trade schools!" are all variations on the same thing; a fundamental unwillingness to see the system as it stands as anything but fine. When you tell a victim of a systemic issue that x solutions were always available, that's basically blaming them for failing to avail themselves of it.

Because at the end of the day, the people saying that there are still cheap degrees are broadcasting that they think university profits are more important than people being able to educate themselves without accruing debt. There's no other way to spin it.

Okay. And why do you think people enroll in university in the first place.

Chances are it's because they won't earn a living wage otherwise. So, what's your recommendation for people that either don't have degrees or don't have the money to afford even a basic degree in the meantime?
    I told you already. University of London offers degrees Online for 7000. Do it part time in 6 years and it ends up $100 per month (72 months)
    That is my recommendation.
    Like I said, real actual solution for people to get education and end up debt-free.

No, mine is "we should be questioning the entire system that led us to this point and when people understand that they ultimately have little agency in it they will have less reason to take out their frustration on themselves".

Depression and apathy is an intended goal of the system, not an incidental side effect. It's designed to produce compliant factory workers first and foremost. Your 'solution' is just "the system is fine, you being in debt is entirely your fault for not doing these 10 easy steps "
    I did not say the system is fine, you are welcome to quote where I said such a thing.

What i said, and I quote is "I think students, from younger age, will have a much easier time if they know this option is available, and they don't have to worry about debt and stuff. It may help suicide rates. Instead all they hear is how bad things are (they are not!) and how hard it is to get educated (it is not)"

And well yes if people don't use google to research their education options, or the options of their kids, they will end up with wrong choices, and debt. Shocking I know!

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, let's be real here.

The "but community college!"/"but online college!"/"but trade schools!" are all variations on the same thing; a fundamental unwillingness to see the system as it stands as anything but fine. When you tell a victim of a systemic issue that x solutions were always available, that's basically blaming them for failing to avail themselves of it.

Because at the end of the day, the people saying that there are still cheap degrees are broadcasting that they think university profits are more important than people being able to educate themselves without accruing debt. There's no other way to spin it.
    Unfortunately anti-intellectualism is strong in the US and with Devoes in charge things will only get worse.

University of London, is a consortium of 17 universities. The universities belonging to it, like London School of Economics, University College London, King's College London, London Business School etc are ranked among the top of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrown View Post
    Thank god for the conservative idealogy making that possible.
    In this case conservatives have everything to offer while progressives have none - religiosity has a protective effect against suicide, so does having a shared, tight-knit community, so does having a more meaningful and objective purpose in life (as DF Wallace argued, pop culture media offered us irony and cynicism and post-modern relativism), and part of this is in fact having a place in society - a role to play. And this isn't even getting into how married people are less likely to commit suicide, while divorce rates and rates of simply not getting married are a consequence of liberal culture. You don't really have a strong basis for this in mainstream progressivism/liberalism, where lack of meaning and the lack of a role is a lot more prevalent, and where these narratives are taken to be a joke on their face, replaced by essentially nothing.
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2019-09-10 at 09:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    In this case conservatives have everything to offer while progressives have none - religiosity has a protective effect against suicide, so does having a shared, tight-knit community, so does having a more meaningful and objective purpose in life (as DF Wallace argued, pop culture media offered us irony and cynicism and post-modern relativism), and part of this is in fact having a place in society - a role to play. And this isn't even getting into how married people are less likely to commit suicide, while divorce rates and rates of simply not getting married are a consequence of liberal culture. You don't really have a strong basis for this in mainstream progressivism/liberalism, where lack of meaning and the lack of a role is a lot more prevalent, and where these narratives are taken to be a joke on their face, replaced by essentially nothing.
    I was not saying liberal policies where the answer either, but hey, you enjoy your policies that push a ton of pressure on people. Just be a good boy and vote for Biden!(Trump if he loses)

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey, you know what you could do instead of bitching about progressives pointing out unjust and damaging social structures?

Come up with alternatives.

You are oversimplifying a complicated issue. The fact is the more liberal and progressive states have the lowest teen & adolescent suicide rate. Actually, the lowest suicide rates. Period. Religious Utah has one of the highest rate (as in 5th highest).

Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-09-10 at 10:57 PM.

Checks source

ctrl + f "parenting"

No results.

/close browser tab

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Checks source

ctrl + f "parenting"

No results.

/close browser tab
    As it turns out, a rise in suicide is not always related to parenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    If you hadn't cut half of my post in half, you would see I've also addressed that.
    Except you hijacked this thread to complain about student debt, something I doubt many elementary, middle and high schoolers are committing suicide over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Checks source

ctrl + f "parenting"

No results.

/close browser tab
    If anything, this problem is exacerbated because of overparenting, the idea that you should constantly monitor, intervene and regulate your child at every corner, which is described in the article as being psychologically detrimental to kids.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    (Source)

What do you think is a viable solution to the epidemic of young people committing suicide? I'm honestly somewhat disappointed that this subject had largely only been covered in passing (if at all) by the mainstream media, especially compared to other youth-related topics such as Juul, it seems pretty weird that the media and society seems more afraid of teens and young adults vaping than it is about them taking their own lives en masse.

Do you think there's a correlation with an increase in academic pressure and/or a decrease in childhood autonomy and privacy and the drastic increase in youth suicides?
    Increase the stability of the family......https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ent-study.html

Children from broken families are nearly five times more likely to suffer damaging mental troubles than those whose parents stay together, Government research has found

https://thefatherlessgeneration.word...om/statistics/

63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    Except you hijacked this thread to complain about student debt, something I doubt many elementary, middle and high schoolers are committing suicide over.

- - - Updated - - -

If anything, this problem is exacerbated because of overparenting, the idea that you should constantly monitor, intervene and regulate your child at every corner, which is described in the article as being psychologically detrimental to kids.

The correlation between suicide and student debt seems rather forced to me. Utah has the lowest student loan debt burden in the United States. Yet, it has some of the highest suicide mortality rates of any age group in the US.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2019-09-11 at 12:19 AM.