Server "latency" and population sizes.

Would love to hear others experiences, technical knowledge etc. because I can only draw on what I've seen and well... yeah.

Anyway, so in the past when certain pirate servers were really popular they would have queues. There were lots of suggestions form "server-tech knowledgable" people as to how to solve this issue. One such (and again, these aren't my ideas I'm just repeating them) was to reduce the "draw distance" so every player doesn't "see" mobs that are far away, to reduce the amount of information the server has to deal with, thus allowing them to increase the population of online players, letting people in the queue into the game. But I'm not here to talk about queues.

I saw this idea (and please, do tell me I'm a moron for suggesting it) that another solution might be to stutter how certain information is sent about so that there isn't a risk of too much info being sent at once and overwhelming the server, allowing them to let more people online at once, alleviating queues. Because despite having very low latency in game as usual, certain interactions seem to "lag" a little - most noticably looting. Always takes a fraction of a second to open that loot window, or to start to mine that node again. I personally only noticed this after they did the update to 'fix' the queue times, YMMV.

Anwyay, alongside this "lag" seems to be how mobs interact with other mobs - seeing a lot of dancing around between pets and mobs and I don't know if thats because its just "done wrong and bugged" or if this latency I mentioned is preventing the server from accurately position the mobs in relation to each other (seeing casters attempt to face a pet that is at the same time trying to get behind the caster, so they both spin around on the spot is quite the sight, ho ho). I thought it might (specifically to hunters) be affecting how FD/ + Trap macros were working too.

So basically, I reckon these "bugs" will probably all disappear the moment they either a) reverse whatever they did to fix the queues at the end of the first week after the interest has died down enough that they can do so safely, or b) the moment layering is no longer in use (Not a bash on layering in of itself).

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

N o c h a n g e s

This inherit latency you're seeing in some actions, especially how AI acts, the choppy updates of your health in combat, or that one second delay in dying, is intended. The net code, despite being 15 years mature in retail, was purposefully changed in an attempt to replicate how vanilla felt.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    This inherit latency you're seeing in some actions, especially how AI acts, the choppy updates of your health in combat, or that one second delay in dying, is intended. The net code, despite being 15 years mature in retail, was purposefully changed in an attempt to replicate how vanilla felt.
    Oh okay, fair enough. It didn't feel like that on the first few nights but I probably wasn't paying attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.