Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Could Seasons work in Wow?

Everyone always seems to really enjoy the freshness that new expansions bring. Everyone starts in quest greens, has to level again and their gear means nothing.

Would a seasonal approach work for those who enjoy race to world firsts or leveling fastest? Each season you race to get to max level and kill whatever end-game boss is available.

How many people actually like leveling enough to want to do it multiple times on the same character? Usually people just want to get it over with when they get to their 3rd or 4th alt.

we already have seasons, in wow theyre called patches

15+ Year Old Account
    I would love if it we stopped trying to turn every game into some stupid esport.

Quote Originally Posted by itzLCD View Post
    Everyone always seems to really enjoy the freshness that new expansions bring. Everyone starts in quest greens, has to level again and their gear means nothing.

Would a seasonal approach work for those who enjoy race to world firsts or leveling fastest? Each season you race to get to max level and kill whatever end-game boss is available.
    We already have seasons, quite literally. We're currently in Season 3. New season means we have to get new gear, have PvP/M+ leaderboard reset (and in case of m+, do higher keys for rewards) and there's a new raid with new bosses.

Here's an overview of what changed in Season 3: https://www.wowhead.com/news=293643/...guide-giveaway
    Last edited by TwoMana; 2019-09-11 at 04:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, not in favor of this at all. PVE should not be endless competitions and starting over. The supposed charm of an MMO--something the developers have seem to forgotten for the most part--is a sustained world in which your characters reside and have adventures.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I would love if it we stopped trying to turn every game into some stupid esport.
    This.

This shit ain't Diablo. I want to play an MMORPG again, not an MMO PvE raid simulator esport. Hard pass on anything like this, but it wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard did it one day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because WoW doesn't "esport"?

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    This. Since levelling doesn't matter, we already have that exact Season every patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Every 6 months or so you get a new raid and catch-up mechanics that are effectively a reset.

Now if you'd ask me if we need seasons in WoW, absolutely. I want to see Elwynn in winter and Winterspring in the summer (it supposedly thaws every summer and it must look amazing!)
    Why would there be summer in a place called Winter-Spring? If you want summer go to Summerfall

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly listening to how a lot of people talk about WoW I think seasons would have the exact opposite effect on Live. Everyone would complain about having to re-level and re-gear.

Classic maybe, where 75% of the appeal is leveling.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

We already have a seasonal system pretty much, just not with new leveling for each season, and that's how it should be. Remember, that apart from the mainstream pve/pvp progression there's a whole world of other activities people spend a lot of their time on. I know this is sometimes hard for most raiders to comprehend, but for probably the vast majority of players, raids, dungeons and bgs are not the most important thing in the game.

We already have seasons, each patch is already a complete reset. If you want to have new questing matieral, the stuff you get each patch is about as much as Blizzard can apparently handle in the time, so you wouldn't get much more if they hard reset those as well. In the end you are too late, this is seasons already, expansions are the relief between a couple of seasons in that regard.

One can only wish..
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-09-11 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    Not even sort of the same idea in any way, shape, or form.

I would be okay with seasons on one condition: they had special rule-sets like D3 seasons have now. Spice things up a bit, change how things work a bit, and it could be interesting. I do think that WoW's playerbase would need to die down to a pretty low number of players first for this to be feasible, though.

No, that's just horrible. Want freshness? (If you can even call it that since you're juat doing the exact same thing again) then level an alt or delete your character and start over.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

This. There's probably more people viewing the "world first races" and other events than actually participating in it. Sad when game is made to be viewed, not played.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Every 6 months or so you get a new raid and catch-up mechanics that are effectively a reset.
    And this. All it accomplished is people sub for a month when a patch comes, then unsub until next one arrives. The game becomes deader and deader between the patches, even patch cycle as short as 4 months is dubbed "content drought", because the game has no longevity left, most people realized that the way it's "intended" to play is to grab the generous catch-ups then unsub until next catch-ups. The content you were meant to "catch up to" and actually play is widely ignored. Only small minority participate in what's used to be called "end game" back in the days.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    How many people actually like leveling enough to want to do it multiple times on the same character?
    Yeah, people can't be bothered to even level allied races despite carrots like heritage armor and achievement. The prime concern about levelling from an average player is how to skip as much of it as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    This. There's probably more people viewing the "world first races" and other events than actually participating in it. Sad when game is made to be viewed, not played.
    That's not a "probably". That's a definitely.

We got stats on how many people watched the event, it was in the hundreds of thousands for the majority of the time. Even if we say it was just 10000 people watching, if we assume there's 25 people per raid, that's still 400 guilds needed to be "in the race".. Which it isn't.

Sure.. why not? They've already copied every other shit idea from Diablo.. why not continue the diabloification of wow
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    No, not in favor of this at all. PVE should not be endless competitions and starting over. The supposed charm of an MMO--something the developers have seem to forgotten for the most part--is a sustained world in which your characters reside and have adventures.
    That is never how wow worked .. thats diablos game structure and has no place in a MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    How many people actually like leveling enough to want to do it multiple times on the same character? Usually people just want to get it over with when they get to their 3rd or 4th alt.
    How many people would like raiding if instead of adding new raids, they just cut content relentlessly and made it easier and faster to clear? Because that is Blizzard's idea of "improving" leveling. Every time they make changes to leveling, it is all about dumbing it down, making it easier and faster and allowing you to skip large chunks of it. No WONDER people just want to get it over with.

Could you imagine if raiding was "updated" the same way? Instead of buying a level boost to 110, how about a raiding boost sold for $25 in the store that gives you all the gear you need to clear EP? How about a big red button in your bags to autokill EP bosses on mythic? Because that is EXACTLY Blizzard's STUPID game design when it comes to modern leveling. It is embarrassing. I would be embarrassed if I was a game designer and presented these changes to WoW leveling as my product.

They do it in Diablo 3 as well, except you can because sidestep all of 1-70 in maybe an hour or 2.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2019-09-11 at 08:53 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.