10+ Year Old Account

Not qualified to comment because I'm not "officially" trained?

So I was having a conversation today with a colleague at work and made a joke about her being supposed to give way to the right (I live in the UK), her boss overheard and and said that's not always the case. I said that it was the law that unless specified otherwise by a sign, his answer was to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I can't even drive. He made me doubt myself so I went and checked and when I told him to check it he just said I was wrong, walked off and told me to learn to drive.

Now, I don't drive because I have anxiety and I literally fall apart on the practical test so I have given up on it for now but I do know how to drive and I have passed the theory test so I also know the theory too. I just find it dumb that seemingly intelligent people revert to this attitude of "You don't have a licence/certificate/award that says you can do x, so you obviously know nothing about it". Does anyone else have any experience with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People having training and experience in what they are commenting on does give more credence to their opinion. But there is no reason to reject other's opinion in a snobbish way.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    People having training and experience in what they are commenting on does give more credence to their opinion. But there is no reason to reject other's opinion in a snobbish way.
    It makes them arrogant when they assume they can't be wrong. I've encountered that several times, it's annoying as hell when you tell them they're wrong and they keep insisting that they're right even if they've been proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    So I was having a conversation today with a colleague at work and made a joke about her being supposed to give way to the right (I live in the UK), her boss overheard and and said that's not always the case. I said that it was the law that unless specified otherwise by a sign, his answer was to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I can't even drive. He made me doubt myself so I went and checked and when I told him to check it he just said I was wrong, walked off and told me to learn to drive.

Now, I don't drive because I have anxiety and I literally fall apart on the practical test so I have given up on it for now but I do know how to drive and I have passed the theory test so I also know the theory too. I just find it dumb that seemingly intelligent people revert to this attitude of "You don't have a licence/certificate/award that says you can do x, so you obviously know nothing about it". Does anyone else have any experience with this?
    It's unfortunately an attitude everywhere, and you'll be exposed to it often.

The issue is people have difficulty differentiating between the facts and their experience. Someone with no experience can have the knowledge and know the facts, but the issue is they have no experience with practical application. That doesn't change the facts though, so the person you're referring to is just an idiot. Having experience driving doesn't necessarily mean you know the driving laws better, but it does mean you have more experience driving and know what you can and can't get away with and what the drivers on the road actually do...which can sometimes be against the actual driving law.

In the professional world, theory means very little it's the application of it that matters and therefore your opinion on things isn't taken very seriously or given very little weight if you don't have experience, at least to people who don't know you. The idea is that you have to prove yourself before people will take you seriously, people who know you already know what you're capable of and so you don't have to pass their little test if you've already shown you're capable.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinro View Post
    It makes them arrogant when they assume they can't be wrong. I've encountered that several times, it's annoying as hell when you tell them they're wrong and they keep insisting that they're right even if they've been proven wrong.
    True. Hard to have a serous discussion with conceited people. Of course, one's perception of proof can also be opinionated and not necessarily true. I try to respect everybody, even if I feel certain they are wrong. A important thing to always keep in mind is, we may be wrong.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

He sensed weakness in you(self-doubt, etc.)and he pounced.

If you lived in a real country and had any sort of backbone you would have told him to go fuck himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone pointing out how they're right on the basis of a technicality in a limited number of situations is basically a bullshit way to win an argument.

You give way to the right 99% of the time? Oh but there are some specific limited situations? Saying as a general statement "you give way to the right" is accurate.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people tend to be dismissive when allowing argument would easily prove them wrong; If they can't win, they refuse to engage.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post

Were you talking about roundabouts? Because, if you are, technically you are both right the highway code states that you should give priority to traffic approaching from your right unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights.

In the highway code should is good driving practice that all drivers should adhere to whereas must is a legal requirement. So he is correct that it is not the law but you are correct that drivers should give way to the right. Although he is a bit of div to argue this point.

If you are not talking about roundabouts then he is 100% correct.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-09-12 at 10:05 PM.

You don't need to be some expert driver to know basic laws. Still ai wouldn't get worked up about it. Few times I've shown proof from an online source to close a debate but often times it's not even worth it with a simple conversation.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaexion Ramza Beoulve View Post
    He sensed weakness in you(self-doubt, etc.)and he pounced.

If you lived in a real country and had any sort of backbone you would have told him to go fuck himself.
    Well I dunno what you consider a "real" country, but I do live in a civilised one where in the workplace we try to avoid shouting obscenities at people we disagree with, that sort of thing is not really productive in a work environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.