Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    Lore Blizzard didn't make until after Classic was already done. The idea of Classic+ is turning back the clock and making new content, which unless they're just gonna add already existing raids to classic as level 60 versions, would necessitate new story. WoD contradicts already established WoW lore in the Rise of the Horde novel, but they did it by having it be another timeline, which is what the story in Classic+ would be.
    It's the coming up with completely new lore and new timeline because the series of events change that I disagree with and have an incredibly hard time believing Blizzard would even do.

If the idea is to tell the untold stories that weren't part of the game, but are part of the established lore and happened in the background, I'm fine with that and think that would be really cool.

I'm not on board at all for the lore to be changed or the established series of events to be different than what is stated to have occurred leading up to what's going on in Retail.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm the OP, not Demonly. It's a what-if scenario of how the story could go if it focused on Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms, where the new content is injected in, like the Sons of Lothar returning from Outland.

WoD AU Grom didn't have a kid named Garrosh at the time the MU Grom had one. That's just down to differences in their timeline compared to the main one. It could be the same here, with Kael'thas and Illidan helping the Sons of Lothar get back to Azeroth to get out of their hair and fight the Scourge.
    My bad, pointing my comments at the wrong person but the point still stands. I'm not on board at all with changing how things happened. I'd be fine with established stories that just weren't part of the game being told.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Along with those things you spent your post describing why or how Kaelthas didn't join the Legion, you describe how Alleria and Turalyon return from Outland with the Sons of Lothar and therefore don't join the Army of Light, you describe how the Blood Elves join the Alliance instead of the Horde, all of which contradict current lore.

I ignored the parts that are obviously not contradictory, and focused on the parts that do.
    Yep you're indeed blind, and can not read. Do I look like the OP of this thread? I quoted you things that I thought could be viable Classic+ features, not the ideas (Alt timeline) that the OP posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonly View Post
    Yep you're indeed blind, and can not read. Do I look like the OP of this thread? I quoted you things that I thought could be viable Classic+ features, not the ideas (Alt timeline) that the OP posted.
    Wasn't paying attention, so maybe that means I'm blind, but you got me there. Didn't realize you weren't the OP...my bad.

I acknowledged that telling the stories of those areas in a way that doesn't contradict the lore would be cool, just in another post. If that's the intent, to just tell the untold stories and show the unseen zones that canonically exist at the time of Classic, I think that would be a cool idea.

It's the coming up with completely new lore and new timeline because the series of events change that I disagree with and have an incredibly hard time believing Blizzard would even do.

If the idea is to tell the untold stories that weren't part of the game, but are part of the established lore and happened in the background, I'm fine with that and think that would be really cool.

I'm not on board at all for the lore to be changed or the established series of events to be different than what is stated to have occurred leading up to what's going on in Retail.

- - - Updated - - -

My bad, pointing my comments at the wrong person but the point still stands. I'm not on board at all with changing how things happened. I'd be fine with established stories that just weren't part of the game being told.
    I would enjoy stories like that in something like an RTS game with small campaigns telling small individual stories like that. Like how Kael'thas turned evil, the early days of the Scarlet Crusade when they had elves and dwarves, which is seemingly contradicted by the Ashbringer comic where they were racist against nonhumans before renaming themselves as the Scarlet Crusade, maybe the War of Shifting Sands or the War of the Satyr.

I just don't think those small campaigns would make for a good big flashy raid, and are stories more focused on individual characters like Kael'thas, Malfurion, the Scarlet leaders, etc., which isn't what Classic is about. Classic is about the world. Chris Metzen said the main character of WoW is the world, but modern WoW's story has lost sight of that, or perhaps taken it too literally now that Azeroth is a baby titan.

Of course I agree Blizzard would probably never do my idea, and if they did, they'd mess it up somehow and people would hate it. My post was purely to speculate what could happen in an alternate timeline's telling of WoW's history at the time of BC where the story doesn't go off to some dinky little island for some reason, but everyone's turned it into Classic vs. Retail.
    Last edited by Koryn123; 2019-09-12 at 03:44 PM.

Wasn't paying attention, so maybe that means I'm blind, but you got me there. Didn't realize you weren't the OP...my bad.

I acknowledged that telling the stories of those areas in a way that doesn't contradict the lore would be cool, just in another post. If that's the intent, to just tell the untold stories and show the unseen zones that canonically exist at the time of Classic, I think that would be a cool idea.
    You're fine. Classic+ is pretty dear to my heart. It's something that is very viable as long as they aren't scattering the lore to oblivion, not to talk about doing anything `alt-timeline wise` either. I think it would be amazing to explore these areas pre-tbc, pre-wrath, and the stories that could have been going on with them.

So many possibilities that could spring so many different dungeons/zones/story content in the `Classic Era` I could imagine us going to Gilneas and understanding how and why the curse became to be, and the war that was happening on the inside of the Gilnean wall while it was closed to the outside world. That alone could be an amazing content patch to have narrative around who the Gilneans were.

That's just one possibility too, there's many many many more events that happened during the `Classic era` that can and could be explored without destroying the lore.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by keymil View Post
    This is ridiculous. That was not a point of Classic launch.

You classic lovers are losing your mind and keep proving day after day that Classic project was a failure at its core. You say you wanted the vanilla experience, but in reality you want something else.
    Exactly, and the saying "you say you want classic but you really don't" comes to mind.. And this topic/thread is a good example of that, in that now there are those wanting to completely change classic and what it is supposed to be all about..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Fair enough, you bring up good points, but I've never seen blood elves, with their 'holier than thou' demeanor towards lesser races, particularly trolls, to differentiate between Darkspears or Amani. They likely view them as sides of the same coin. Except the Darkspears were too far for them to be at war with, but that's just my assumption and not evidence to go on, I don't recall if the blood elves had an opinion on Darkspears prior to WoW.

Garithos pissed off the blood elves badly, sure, but he was leader of a nation that is now officially dead. Why would Bolvar and Stormwind be to blame for Garithos' actions if Stormwind is a kingdom apart from Lordaeron? That would be like hating Darkspears just because you've been at war with Amani.
    Well, Lordaeron was a part of the alliance at the time, it makes sense to associate them to stormwind. And the alliances ties are strong, it was a big deal when gilneas left it and put up a wall to protect themselves. They almost did not rejoin because varian was being so stubborn about it. But I can see were you are coming from. And if I were bolvar, that was definitely something that I would bring up. But in the end, I just think that the horde has a better claim to it. I could see them being neutral though, ocasionally helping sylvannas.

It is interesting to remember that the trolls tribes always had lukewarm relations, at best, towards each other. And when the blood elves joined they outright declared war against the horde. A situation that certainly has parallels towards the alliance and the blood elves.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

Quote Originally Posted by Demonly View Post
    You're fine. Classic+ is pretty dear to my heart. It's something that is very viable as long as they aren't scattering the lore to oblivion, not to talk about doing anything `alt-timeline wise` either. I think it would be amazing to explore these areas pre-tbc, pre-wrath, and the stories that could have been going on with them.

So many possibilities that could spring so many different dungeons/zones/story content in the `Classic Era` I could imagine us going to Gilneas and understanding how and why the curse became to be, and the war that was happening on the inside of the Gilnean wall while it was closed to the outside world. That alone could be an amazing content patch to have narrative around who the Gilneans were.

That's just one possibility too, there's many many many more events that happened during the `Classic era` that can and could be explored without destroying the lore.
    Agreed on that front, there's already plenty of opportunity within world and lore that already exists in the Classic timeline, that creating some alternate series of events isn't necessary.

All of the zones and landmasses we have on Azeroth in Retail exist in the Classic timeline, would be cool to see them as they were "back then" vs how they are "now." At least the ones that wouldn't completely change the story. Like Northrend and Outland, there's a lot of Alliance and Horde bases already established there in WotLK...someone had to go up there and get those set-up, why couldn't they have us there during the Classic era doing the set-up activities.

I'd also be on board with being part of the series of events that lead up to the next expansion rather than the expansion just happening and having the first few levels telling us what happened and why we're there.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odintdk View Post
    It's barely been 2 weeks since Classic launched. How come you're not satisfied with playing the "best game of all time and space", and instead, already asking for something else here? Shouldn't you be AOE dungeon grinding experience right now?
    As I said in my first post in this thread, the old saying "you say you want classic but you really don't.." And seeing threads like this makes me wonder how true that is becoming.. People said "we want classic", Blizzard do exactly that and now people are saying "we want classic buuuttt, we would like these changes.."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Feanoro View Post
    Well, this thread is already polluted with "Classic vs Retail".

I like the idea of fleshing out cut content like Dragon Isles IF DONE WELL, but I don't think they should try to construct an alternate timeline. They proved they can't do that with WoD.
    Thing is that there are rumors that the Dragon Isles could be in the next xpac, and if that is the case using them in classic+ could stuff things up..

It could work if they pose Classic + as a sort of just for fun, alternative take on WarCraft. Kind of like how Hearthstone deals with lore.

But as for people whining about two separate storylines. Hopefully you realize that 90% of WoW's lore is getting heavily retconned or thrown in the trash once this game is done and they move on to the next main title in the franchise.

Draenei retcon and Blood Elves for horde was a terrible decision they made in TBC... I would definitely approve of High elves in the alliance.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    ...Oh really, and how do you think the Horde followers out there would find this development?

Read: DRAMA!
    Then they can go play retail. You can extend that same logic to Nightborne and maghar not being in classic either. Isn't the entire premise of Classic+ mostly an alternative story route anyways? TBC make some pretty dumb changes, and making high elves horde because "Garithos was mean papa!" when they had literally ZERO problems with every other human(save arthas but he decimated the alliance too so that doesn't count).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Then they can go play retail. You can extend that same logic to Nightborne and maghar not being in classic either. Isn't the entire premise of Classic+ mostly an alternative story route anyways? TBC make some pretty dumb changes, and making high elves horde because "Garithos was mean papa!" when they had literally ZERO problems with every other human.
    I thought the point of Classic+ was more for the gameplay, but haven't kept up with the debate closely. Most of the races that joined the Horde post-Vanilla did so with very flimsy story justifications to cover the real ones. "Blood Elves were added to the Horde because Korean girls wanted a pretty race" will never stop being funny in light of how the Horde is something like 80% BElf now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    This is not a Classic vs. Retail thread, it's just for suggestions and/or criticisms of this "Classic+" idea.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Classic+ should abide by lore.

If you're going to the lengths of keeping to lore like Varian having killed Onyxia and the like, then there's no reason to change things around with the HE joining the Alliance.

You either stick to the lore, or you throw it away. There's no point in cherry picking what you want and pretending it's still lore-based, because you're just triggering people who don't agree with your choices. And TBH, while alternate reality exists, I don't think people would openly accept Classic+ as an Alternate Reality expansion; otherwise its a slippery slope towards 'Change the game to how I want it to be!' demands.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2019-09-12 at 07:03 PM.

BC and Wotlk or bust

In this scenario, they'd basically be the same group. But if you need a reason, Alleria would care about both groups, not just High Elves, so she would naturally try to get the much larger portion of her surviving people into the relative safety of the Alliance, while most elves calling themselves High Elves were already safe in Dalaran or Stormwind.

Until Rommath puts out the burning crystals to power Silvermoon, which wouldn't have happened just yet in this telling, literally the only difference between the two groups is the name. Both would still have blue eyes, and any "high elves" who went to Quel'thalas as fellow Alliance members would be irradiated by the fel-powered city and would be green-eyed high elves. It would be a meaningless distinction that would probably only serve to make those who call themselves blood elves upset, like the high elves were disrespecting the loss of 90% of their people, the reason for the name change. Like if there were some sort of memorial event for lost people in a war going on, the event holders asked for a moment of silence, and 1/10 of the attendees just kept blabbing on their phones the whole time.

My intention here would be to allow players the option of choosing green or blue eyes. They'd just all be part of Quel'thalas and go by the name of blood elves. Story-wise, every blood elf in Warcraft 3 had blue eyes, if we were to do a Caverns of Time-esque thing and Blizzard cared about being faithful to the timeline enough to do that.
    Then you should call them Thalassian elves

15+ Year Old Account
    Isn't the entire premise of Classic+ mostly an alternative story route anyways?
    Absolutely not. The point is to preserve the story / world exactly as it was.
    Here is something to believe in!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    Absolutely not. The point is to preserve the story / world exactly as it was.
    Notice the "+" sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

15+ Year Old Account
    Notice the "+" sign.
    I mean it's the point of this thread, if that's what you mean.

Classic+ isn't a real thing that exists though.
    Here is something to believe in!