Thread: Bard Concept

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Nah, that is an edited picture. The original doesn't have the class icons. It's from Hearthstone's latest expansion announcement video.
    I looked into it though and apparently they are making the new adventure allow you play each of those 4 with dual classes, I even saw the hero powers coming along with them.

https://dotesports.com/hearthstone/n...ombs-of-terror

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post
    I looked into it though and apparently they are making the new adventure allow you play each of those 4 with dual classes, I even saw the hero powers coming along with them.

Yeah, don't trust Ielenia on anything. Even with hard proof he'll say it's bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uM6DADC7poA

Here's the video showing the screenshot of that picture.

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post

Well, at the time I did a image search on it, and all it came up with were images WITHOUT the class icons, so I figured it was an edit. My bad, then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    Yeah, don't trust Ielenia on anything.
    Holy fuck, dude. Do you have some kind of hard-on for me, or something? You love to name-drop me at any chance you get, geez.

Last time I played Hearthstone, I do recall having the ability to play class hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Last time I played Hearthstone, I do recall having the ability to play class hybrids.
    They did do it once or twice I believe, but as like one off things. I believe there was an Arena bit during Halloween at some point where you'd choose your first Class out of three presented then choose the Hero Power of another Class out of three presented (I believe you could even get the same one) and then you would get to draft from a mix of them.

Quote Originally Posted by DotEleven View Post
    They did do it once or twice I believe, but as like one off things. I believe there was an Arena bit during Halloween at some point where you'd choose your first Class out of three presented then choose the Hero Power of another Class out of three presented (I believe you could even get the same one) and then you would get to draft from a mix of them.
    Yep, it was a lot of fun and it works in Hearthstone since it's just cards but in WoW it'd be chaos to balance, even with pruning and class homogenization.

I liek the concept but I don't see it as a class but I do as a profession.

Yep, it was a lot of fun and it works in Hearthstone since it's just cards but in WoW it'd be chaos to balance, even with pruning and class homogenization.
    Oh, yeah. I know. I couldn't see it working to great in WoW simply because WoW wasn't designed with that in mind for players.

Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    I liek the concept but I don't see it as a class but I do as a profession.
    ... How?

Bards aren't crafters. They don't craft musical instruments. They don't craft weapons. Or armor. Or trinkets. Or anything.

At best you can say they craft music... but writing things is the purview of another, already existing profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everybody here is just theorizing about new classes while I just want WoW to enable multiclass in some capacity...

OT, Bard would be tricky to pull off, we would probably need a stronger presence for them, a patch or two to ramp it up. But I can see it happening. Although, I'm not going to lie, being a profession would also be pretty cool but it definitely would not work in the models of the profession we currently know. I mean, a bard making strings? instruments? I don't know, it just sound way too weird.

I would love if they could just switch song up in the middle of the combat, it could be pretty hype.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

7+ Year Old Account

Arrow

Sluvs
    multiclass
    *slow and sad* ho-ho-ho...

As I understand it, you aren't aware at all of current design direction in this area. Problem is that they not only don't have concrete understanding of class notion, solidity of this concept, but also of separate unique class mechanics as their main distinct feature. What follows from this? No classes, just roles, mainly in form of specs. These specs, even within class, have almost nothing in common with each other, except for conditional name (and this is true not for mechanics, which are generally same within roles designated, but in stylistics features, cosmetics; especially noticeable on former hybrids), which already for a long time says very little about something. What follows from this regarding your request? Firstly, it would be flawed even within framework of old classes philosophy, and secondly, it won't fly at all within current one, because... read previous sentence, you will have to mix specs then, and since whole design is trying to adapt to automatic systems (lfx/PL/scaling), and, if try to look farther, to "someday shows up" hypothetical kind of E-sports rating systems. They aren't interested in such feature in principle, due to the fact that this will certainly complicate their movement in current direction more than even gradual suppositive rollback to old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkizon View Post
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    There are effectively 36 distinct classes.
    Finally! It was officially recognized (exactly this wording)
    Not for this game, not for this design, don't even dream about it.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2020-07-06 at 06:11 AM.
    __---=== IMHO(+cg) and MORE |"links-inside" ===---__

__---=== PM me WHERE if I'm unnecessarily "notifying" you ===---__

10+ Year Old Account
    *slow and sad* ho-ho-ho...

As I understand it, you aren't aware at all of current design direction in this area. Problem is that they not only don't have concrete understanding of class notion, solidity of this concept, but also of separate unique class mechanics as their main distinct feature. What follows from this? No classes, just roles, mainly in form of specs. These specs, even within class, have almost nothing in common with each other, except for conditional name, which already for a long time says very little about something. What follows from this regarding your request? Firstly, it would be flawed even within framework of old classes philosophy, and secondly, it won't fly at all within current one, because... read previous sentence, you will have to mix specs then, and since whole design is trying to adapt to automatic systems (lfx/PL/scaling), and, if try to look farther, to "someday shows up" hypothetical kind of E-sports rating systems. They aren't interested in such feature in principle, due to the fact that this will certainly complicate their movement in current direction more than even gradual suppositive rollback to old one.

Not for this game, not for this design, don't even dream about it.
    I mean, I get that, and it would a fucking nightmare to balance it, but I cannot help but dream about it. Maybe a class can borrow some utilities spells only? Pr maybe they could do something bigger, like a class picking a spec! It would be a dream come true for RPers. JUST IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES OF CUSTOMIZATION.

Alas, they will not do it. The cowards.

But the roll back to a previous state that they already claimed to desire is already a good thing.

=(

... How?

Bards aren't crafters. They don't craft musical instruments. They don't craft weapons. Or armor. Or trinkets. Or anything.

At best you can say they craft music... but writing things is the purview of another, already existing profession.
    They don't craft instruments? Really?

So someone who makes a guitar can't learn how to play it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Kyphael

- Let me show you how this is done, I have a gift by inheritance!
    - How interesting, and which of your relatives was a musician?
    - A musician? No, what are you talking about! But my father was a loader and pushed a lot of them on his back. That should be enough for me.

For the reference, most important bard's weapon in DnD usually becomes ability to "blab" enemy, but not show everyone how quickly and cool he can make a pipe. In games of this category, musical instruments usually could be not so much “physical” as get from the air depending on used ability... what kind of craft can we talk about here?
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2020-09-17 at 07:40 PM.

No, they don't.

Those are two different "professions". You're basically saying "so someone who makes a sword can't learn how to play it"?

10+ Year Old Account

Well, we could make guitar a Blacksmithing/engineering thingie, so if a bard is a engineer, they can play what they build. But it's not really a necessity.

- Let me show you how this is done, I have a gift by inheritance!
    - How interesting, and which of your relatives was a musician?
    - A musician? No, what are you talking about! But my father was a loader and pushed a lot of them on his back. That should be enough for me.

For the reference, most important bard's weapon in DnD usually becomes ability to "blab" enemy, but not show everyone how quickly and cool he can make a pipe. In games of this category, musical instruments usually could be not so much “physical” as get from the air depending on used ability... what kind of craft can we talk about here?
    I'm a little confused by your argument, but I think I understand it as being a Bard isn't simply somebody being able to pick up an instrument they might have made, and simply being able to cast spells intertwined with their music? They either A) have to be naturally gifted to be a bard or B) have inherited that ability from a parent who was a bard?

- - - Updated - - -

No, they don't.
    Source?

Those are two different "professions". You're basically saying "so someone who makes a sword can't learn how to play it"?
    Huh, whuh? Saying a bard can't craft instruments is like saying a warrior or swordsman can't be a blacksmith.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    Well, we could make guitar a Blacksmithing/engineering thingie, so if a bard is a engineer, they can play what they build. But it's not really a necessity.
    That seems unnecessarily convoluted. One does not need to be a blacksmith to craft musical instruments, especially if bard were a profession opposed to class. I think the confusion here is, people are saying based on what's already established in fantasy lore, bard isn't a profession, it's a class. We know that. The profession idea is to circumvent the fact Blizzard might never be interested in implementing a bard class, but maybe would turn it into a profession.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little confused by your argument, but I think I understand it as being a Bard isn't simply somebody being able to pick up an instrument they might have made, and simply being able to cast spells intertwined with their music? They either A) have to be naturally gifted to be a bard or B) have inherited that ability from a parent who was a bard?

- - - Updated - - -

Source?

Huh, whuh? Saying a bard can't craft instruments is like saying a warrior or swordsman can't be a blacksmith.

- - - Updated - - -

That seems unnecessarily convoluted. One does not need to be a blacksmith to craft musical instruments, especially if bard were a profession opposed to class. I think the confusion here is, people are saying based on what's already established in fantasy lore, bard isn't a profession, it's a class. We know that. The profession idea is to circumvent the fact Blizzard might never be interested in implementing a bard class, but maybe would turn it into a profession.
    But it would be the same thing as weapons and armor, if we consider instruments as weapons.

But yeah, i would love to see it as a profession. Kinda like you had to hunt the tunes to your garrison, you could hunt new tunes by going to inns and taverns... It could deliver mana regen buffs... or maybe a small HoT for the duration of the fight... It would be incredible to be honest.

I would rather have a class, but if it's not possible, them I would be fine with a profession.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm a little confused
    No, my example was intended only to emphasize inconsequence of your argument. Mention of bard, music and other things was solely due to topic under discussion.

Bard (see Class Details here) is about music/singing, and, as I mentioned above, for classical understanding it's also about rhetoric, but not “instruments' production". In extreme case, if only, it's art of "performance". Is this understandable? How he/she manage its own "tongue" and instruments.
    Last edited by Alkizon; 2019-09-13 at 08:45 PM.

No, my example was intended only to emphasize inconsequence of your argument. Mention of bard, music and other things was solely due to topic under discussion.
    Oh ok.

...wait, what?

I'm still confused!