Poll: What is the great horror movie of all time?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    You can disagree if you want, but it's nearly universally considered a horror movie, including by the majority of horror writers and directors.

I am curious what you consider a "true horror" then since Alien LITERALLY has every fucking element of one, the only difference is the setting...and even most of that setting is not really any different than being trapped in the isolated house/woods/abandoned asylum/whatever of the typical horror movie.
    You seem triggered! Are you ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    Did you ever watch Puppet Master... one of my favorites.
    Nope. Definitely would have avoided as a kid but now would find these types of movies just to be silly.

7+ Year Old Account
    Greatest? Oh that doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by Evaddon View Post
    Greatest? Oh that doesn't exist
    To me it's The Exorcist. To many others, apparently it's Alien.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Yeah I don't really have a "great" horror movie, good..but great is alittle to much praise for anything I've seen or can remember

Jeepers Creepers also deserves to be on there. The original scared the fuck out of me

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Jeepers Creepers also deserves to be on there. The original scared the fuck out of me
    First one was really good. Hell, I liked the second one too. Obviously not every movie can be on there. Even if there were 100 choices, I'm sure someone would still vote Other.

Id say either The Thing or Alien, so voting for Alien since it's on the list.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Conjuring 2. Specially because it was faithfully based on real life events, and it's also very relatable as it happens on a regular house that we all could live in, instead of being the cliche 18th century mansion

10+ Year Old Account
    Ugh, I hated The Exorcist, a good horror movie needs to have more than just making people uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    First Jeepers Creepers was fun, I liked it.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Ugh, I hated The Exorcist, a good horror movie needs to have more than just making people uncomfortable.
    It takes a lot to make me uncomfortable. The only movie to ever have that effect on me was Hostel. I felt nauseous just from watching it.

How did this poll miss the 2017 classic Wish Upon? For shame, sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Thing, because how depressing it is too
    At least Alien ends with hero win, Thing ends with drinking gasoline and u don't even know if that will works, not to mention even by today (well not really) the cgi? (what was it called?) is stunning
    Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    Cabin in the woods has an amazing plot. Too bad they failed to live up to its potential :/ Like it alot tho simply because of the 10/10 plot.
    I never felt scared from Cabin, if anything it was more of comedy or more accurate satire of horror genre, the only 'scary' part was the title intro
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    You've got it backwards - a really good horror movie makes you uncomfortable without jump scares. That said, I also find the Exorcist overrated.
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    Hellraiser.
    the first one? it was more of mystery/detective type of movie than horror, in fact i think only horror is very late in end in that movie

- - - Updated - - -

half of that list really shouldn't be here, american werewolf, saw (I love that movie, but greatest horror?), the evil dead, psycho (it is literally described thriller not horror), scream ( a satire movie about horror...., Carrie, Poltergeist (maybe greatest pg13 horror, but sure not greatest overall), Jaws (same reason)
    and sadly no The Thing
    The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn
    Thrall
    http://youtu.be/x3ejO7Nssj8 7:20+ "Alliance remaining super power", clearly blizz favor horde too much, that they made alliance the super power

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You've got it backwards - a really good horror movie makes you uncomfortable without jump scares. That said, I also find the Exorcist overrated.
    I feel like jump scares are getting a bad rep due to overuse, but The Conjuring did it very well. It was Insidious, all the Conjuring spin offs and all these other post Conjuring movies that bastardized the tactic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted for The Omen; doubt many people think it's the best horror movie, but for me it's a nostalgia thing. I've not seen the Omen since I first saw it way back. I don't think I can actually choose the best horror movie so I chose based on feelings. Alien is great but it's definitely not the best horror movie for me. The Exorcist is awesome and would definitely be in my top 3 as well.

I feel like jump scares are getting a bad rep due to overuse, but The Conjuring did it very well. It was Insidious, all the Conjuring spin offs and all these other post Conjuring movies that bastardized the tactic.
    It's not that jump scares don't have their place, it's just much harder and more technically impressive when a director can make you anxious without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    I voted for The Omen; doubt many people think it's the best horror movie, but for me it's a nostalgia thing. I've not seen the Omen since I first saw it way back. I don't think I can actually choose the best horror movie so I chose based on feelings. Alien is great but it's definitely not the best horror movie for me. The Exorcist is awesome and would definitely be in my top 3 as well.
    I love Omen too, easily in my top 3 after The Shining. It's not just nostalgia either, it's a great movie. Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, and it came out at a time when America was still pre-dominantly Christian, and I myself was raised catholic, so when I watched it, I believed it. It was like, "damn, anti-Christ? The end of days? It's in the book of revelations, it's real." It was cool and scary at the same time. I even like the second one a lot, it takes place in Illinois. Most people didn't see the point of it, but when Damien finds out his destiny, it's both frightening and sympathetic. "Why me!?" The third was all right, even though I loved Sam Neil, a conclusion to it was too ambitious for its budget and the technical limitations of the time.