Page 1 of 54
... LastLast

The myths about Classic that have fallen apart

Classic will soon be 3 weeks old and for many of us it's been a colossal experience in various different ways. On launch day, all my guildies and almost all my B-Net friends were desparately trying to get in, to have this old school experience. Many hours and days of gameplay have been devoted to Classic since then, and during that time we all verified the things we've been told over the months and years leading to the Classic launch ourselves. The hype train is slowing down and by now most people have quit the game already and I'm about to follow. So what about that hype we were being fed, mostly by influencers, streamers and youtubers turned out to be untrue?

1. Classic raids are very hard.

This has already been extensively discussed in other threads, but nonetheless I wanted to get this out of the way first. This was heavily pushed as one of the selling points of Classic. How many hours you have to spend on farming consumables, how many hours you have to spend on getting this and that...in the end it turned out that people below the level cap in greens are able to clear the raids. The only difficulty in clearing the raid is actually getting to level 60.

2. Old talent trees are better than the current ones

This is something that was advertised not only with Classic in mind, but in general in any discussion about the talent system in the current game. These initial weeks of people having access to Classic has shown that not only are those old talents not interesting (the vast majority of them just being +1% dmg on ability), but they also allow no options to pick at all, because resetting them costs a fortune. Depending on the class, about 2-4 talents in the whole tree actually make a difference in your gameplay. The rest is filler that doesn't give any tangible power up.

3. It’s about the journey, not the race to 60

Probably one of the most pushed ideas by all the veteran/elite players/streamers. What ended up happening was of course all those people who were pushing this idea went and grinded dungeons in raids with premade groups. Various excuses were employed, but in general the truth was laid bare for everyone to see. Turns out it’s not about the adventure in the zones, as that’s just boring grindfest of poorly balanced quests. It’s getting to the cap as fast as possible that is important, and people just playing normally are treated as some weirdos wasting their time. And for good reason - questing seems to be one of the worst possible ways to level up in Classic. Instance grinding, layer hopping, or just simple mob grinding in one spot are all faster.

4. Classic incentivizes player interaction, so everyone will suddenly become sociable and make friends

This just isn't the case. We can blame the current times and how people are in general these days, but I'm willing to bet it's been like that years ago too. People don't socialize. Sure, they do group up for quests, because those quests necessitate that. They sometimes say "hi", "bye" or "warrior taunt the mob" but usually nothing beyond that. There is absolutely nothing different about grouping in Classic in comparison to grouping through lfg-type systems in retail wow. People enter a party, they do the task, they leave, and never speak to each other again.

5. Getting into a dungeon group won't be a problem because there's no ilvl, r.io, achievements and armory.

False. Everyone and their mother spends their whole day on twitch now, and they already know the “leveling meta” for dungeons. Different class, or a spec without specific aoe abilities the party leader wants? No invite. And sure, I'm not saying you won't ever find a group for dungeon, and you can always make your own group, but about 80-90% of the groups advertised past level 40 are for specific classes and specific comps only. Yes, you will be able to do a dungeon run for quests while leveling, but it will take a long while looking through the "meta only" group advertisements to find one that just wants you as a player, not as an aoe mage. Other than that, thanks to loot options in Classic, most of the groups usually have a list of "reserved items" that you have to agree to pass on when you join the party. So which is worse, requiring a higher RIO, or asking that you pass on 10 items that you actually need?

6. Class quests, the holy grail of class fantasy

Class quests are the epitome of the antiquated game design. Not only are they fully skippable, which makes them horrible for people who are not playing the game on rails following a complete leveling guide for their class, but they often also require a group, and the ability to kill an enemy that is like 10 levels above your current level. For many of those quests you literally have to ask for boost, or you'll not complete them. Them being fully skippable also means that you may end up at a level cap while lacking skills essential to your class. Not only are those quests fully skippable, they also give no mention of the actual final reward in the game itself, so again, you have to follow 3rd party guides to even know what's coming.

7. Classic is a great game for casuals, much better than modern WoW

It is obviously not. In no way, shape, or form. Leveling is broken, imbalanced and just badly designed. Quests are few and far between, and you have to juggle 3-4 zones at once to even keep doing them. Otherwise you just have to grind mobs. As for the mobs themselves, you often die while fighting 1 mob that is on your level on lower. It's not even about everything taking long, it's about you wasting a lot of time if you don't know the proper route or not paying like 10$ for the proper questing addon that will take you through stuff you need to do. Leveling in Classic while not having any prior knowledge or memorized routes is just a pain. But okay - let's say you are a casual and you reach the level cap in a month or two. What can you do? You can level your professions, maybe farm some gold for an epic mount...content ends. You can always level an alt I guess, but why put yourself through that hell again? There is absolutely nothing to do in Classic if you don't plan to raid in it, which is why I personlally quit on level 42. The grind has become really tredious, and I would put myself through it if there was something waiting at the end - and there's not. I'm not afraid of long grinds, I've reached max overal level in the original Runescape 2 (the one osrs is based on) years back. And I'm grinding some stuff on retail wow for years now, on 30 characters. There needs to be an incentive though, and there is none in Classic.

So these are the main ones I know about. If you have any other myths that were completely debunked by Classic's release feel free to post.

Thanks for the conjectural blog post

Why do people make posts like this, if you don't like the game don't play it, stop trying to convince us not to play it. Especially when your information seems to be coming from streamers not the average.

Almost none of what you wrote is correct, especially 2, 3, and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    We can blame the current times and how people are in general these days, but I'm willing to bet it's been like that years ago too. People don't socialize
    As somebody who played durring Vanilla, I can say that this is absolutely true. The only socialization you really got was if you joined a guild, and even then it's just the odd response here and there... unless you had Ventrillo or whatever the one was before that (I forget, it's been a while! :P)

But in truth, you're right. Nobody really socializes much IRL and definitely really not much at all in the game. It only happens IRL if you're at a party - where the whole POINT is to socialize there! You're not going into a RL party to form a merry possé to effectively strategize out a way to defeat the Pinyata boss! :P

It's like those doinks who claim that Cell Phones make kids socialize less and that people talked to eachother on the train. They didn't - they read books, listened to music or read a magazine/newspaper.

7. Classic is a great game for casuals, much better than modern WoW
    I have literally never seen anyone anywhere ever claim this.

I'm not a classic guy nor am I currently subbed, but from just reading the forums when I'm bored, I'm going to say you may be talking about the 20% and not the 80%. of course we knew some people were going to power grind by any means to get to 60 first, so they can do all the things first..etc.etc.

And then there are the steady Eddies who are going to play classic the way they want to and relive the game the way they remembered and so on. That is the base of the classic game population and they'll be around a year from now when the flash in pan players move on to the new hotness.

I'm not arguing there is a chunk of players who probably had some hardcore nostalgia glasses on and Classic is waking them up to how much better things are today, even if you don't like BFA, there are many many QOLs that can be missed.

I say you really can't measure any of this until after at least a year as passed. Passing judgement on what Classic did or didn't do, this early in, is just silly and seems like you just have it in for Classic to fail

Quote Originally Posted by Demolished View Post
    Why do people make posts like this, if you don't like the game don't play it, stop trying to convince us not to play it. Especially when your information seems to be coming from streamers not the average.
    He just logged in to retail and it's a ghost town so he needs people to go back to play with him

Maybe the same reason all the classic fanboys keep talking classic up. No ones telling you not to play

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Thanks for the conjectural blog post
    I don't see how this is a blog post. It's a concise list of the biggest "classic lies" and how the community has found they are lies. Along with the call to list more of them. I haven't seen you complaining in threads were people got boosted to get their favorite weapon etc.

Well, it seems to be fine when people make false positive claims about something. Also, not sure what "average" you mean, my information is coming from both the streamers/youtubers, and I follow most of the popular wow ones, as well as my personal friends and guild. I guess the "average" are those who agree with you, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGhoul View Post
    I have literally never seen anyone anywhere ever claim this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V9FyWhtT5M

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I'm not a classic guy nor am I currently subbed, but from just reading the forums when I'm bored, I'm going to say you may be talking about the 20% and not the 80%. of course we knew some people were going to power grind by any means to get to 60 first, so they can do all the things first..etc.etc.

And then there are the steady Eddies who are going to play classic the way they want to and relive the game the way they remembered and so on. That is the base of the classic game population and they'll be around a year from now when the flash in pan players move on to the new hotness.

I'm not arguing there is a chunk of players who probably had some hardcore nostalgia glasses on and Classic is waking them up to how much better things are today, even if you don't like BFA, there are many many QOLs that can be missed.

I say you really can't measure any of this until after at least a year as passed. Passing judgement on what Classic did or didn't do, this early in, is just silly and seems like you just have it in for Classic to fail
    The people who we "of course know were going to power grind" are mostly people who touted how great Classic experience is for years. They have explicitly denied everything they said prior to Classic release with their actions and turned out (once again) to be complete hypocrites.

I agree some will slowly play through it and be fine with. Nothing wrong with that. I'm not trying to dispute that it's possible to have fun while playing Classic in this thread. In fact, I had a lot of fun playing it myself, but I also had a lot of myths crumble before my very eyes, and a lot of moments of being annoyed.

I don't think we have to wait for a year to judge a game though, and people never wait for so long in any other case, BfA was trashed by the player base even prior to its release. So are many other games such as Fallout 76 or SW Battlefield 2.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    He just logged in to retail and it's a ghost town so he needs people to go back to play with him
    That's just your wet fantasy man. BfA is doing just fine, and yeah I am playing it right now, while playing FF14 on another screen, because at least that allows me to launch both these games at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    with sharding?not rly posible for it to be ghost town,half the classic servers on the other hand,literaly have become ghost towns,they rly need to start with the mergers

Maybe but if people are happy, it is ok for me

Lmao what are all these salty, delusional, butt-hurt posts nowadays. This forum became cancer and annoying. The door won't be hitting me on my way out. CYA

Please rename the thread to 'my own subjective opinion on some stuff about classic'. Just for clarity.

So many forum prophets at the moment.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    with sharding?not rly posible for it to be ghost town,half the classic servers on the other hand,literaly have become ghost towns,they rly need to start with the mergers
    Yep they should. That way instead of all servers having 10k queue at 6pm they would have 20k

Several threads on MMO Champion saying raids were easy and Ragnaros would be killed on week 1.

We need to stop the myth classic raids were hard guys!!! WE need to stop it!!!

Dude, it was never a "thing" being said Classic raids were hard. Never. Stop this bullcrap trying to say otherwise.

Point 2, Talents.
    Classic talents are 100% better than retails. By a HUGE amount. Not even close.
    Specially rogue, the talent choices affect your gameplay by 100% compared to other talent trees.
    Not even close.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's obscenely over-generalized.

Some of it is true for some people. A lot of it is not.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    dude OP your opinions are like wrong, man.

1. Classic raids are very hard.

4. Classic incentivizes player interaction, so everyone will suddenly become sociable and make friends
    *Vanilla* raids were hard. Very few people thought Classic raids would be hard, except for maybe Naxx. Starting at 1.12 IS NOT Vanilla difficulty. Anyone who played Vanilla knows how much of a difference 1.12 was compared to 1.0.

*Vanilla* Was more social and community focused because the community at that time cared more about it. The Vanilla Community died with Vanilla.

Most of your other ones are almost entirely opinion and weren't 'debunked', you just have a different opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.