Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    "Woolhead" is better than other words used in books.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mankirk View Post
    4: Take a shot whenever someone says "woolhead".
    Or a lummox

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Alright everyone. These are the rules:

1. Take a shot whenever someone tugs their braid.
    2. Take a shot whenever someone adjusts their shawl.
    3. Take a shot whenever someone glares at someone.

I can immagine book (was it 7? The one where mat spends the entire book getting raped at knifepoint by the queen of whatver that citys name was) being memed as the 4th installment of the 50 shades series.
    Now I wonder how they would do the legendary Braid tugging... if they ruin that...

WoT is very difficult to adapt faithfully, so this will either take a lot of liberties, be lost in the translation to a TV budget, or be a hot mess like that hilarious pilot.

If they somehow thread the needle and make a faithful adaptation that's good, I'll be extremely impressed.

Why don't they adapt things like this to animation? It'd be a lot easier...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    WoT is very difficult to adapt faithfully, so this will either take a lot of liberties, be lost in the translation to a TV budget, or be a hot mess like that hilarious pilot.

If they somehow thread the needle and make a faithful adaptation that's good, I'll be extremely impressed.

Why don't they adapt things like this to animation? It'd be a lot easier...
    Because animation is seen as being for children and WoT has a lot of adult themes, I don't think you want something like that having a perception of being friendly to kids.

But it would make a lot more sense to do it, I agree.

hmf...I'm reminded of the disaster of the animated Dragonlance Chronicles.

are they gonna completely fuck it like they did with got?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Blood and ashes, are you trying to get us all killed?
    take a shot whenever a skirt is smoothed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    They can't fuck it in the same way, at least, because WoT is complete.

I want this to work so bad. WoT is by and far my favorite series.

Probably worse.
    I will always point to the Dresden Files for just how bad things went.

Quote Originally Posted by Deln View Post
    take a shot whenever a skirt is smoothed.
    Bbut I like my liver. Take a shot whenever we're reminded that Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather.

I'm just worried about this, to be honest. The cast doesn't seem to fit too well, in my opinion, and I have my doubts they will keep the.. what do you call it.. spirit of the books? I absolutely love the books, read and listened to them countless amounts of times. But not even sure if I will watch this show.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Well, GoT didn't mess up the book adaptation, you could say they went one up, goT just continued developing in the film rather than the book, the book was no longer pioneering the story, so they had a team no longer adapting abut actually creating story, the author himself worked with a team instead of doing it on his own.

Often this can lead to very good stuff, but most of the best stuff usually comes from 1 person - because it has a certain cohesion and air to it. Sticking fiathfully with the same writing team can usually produce the same effect, but I don't think teams like that should be very good... a few people at most.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Probably worse.
    I will always point to the Dresden Files for just how bad things went.
    Dresden? What about Sword of Truth - that was also ruined.

Tolkein estates are far more zealous over protecting the authenticity of his works, they have power to veto a lot of things htey feel aren't a suitable adaptation, I wonder what Jordan's wife will or will not allow, and if she is iron willed enough to ensure this doesn't get messed up. She afterall helped him write the stuff from book 7 onwards.

I wonder what WoT would be perceived like if it ended at volume 6, how would that influence projects like films or movies based on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, it seems the Tolkien estate is being super specific with what they will and wont allow Amazon to use for their up coming series. They cannot go anywhere near the third age (time period of The Hobbit and LotR) and the estate has total veto power over anything that strays away from existing cannon. Should make for an interesting series to say the least.

I honestly think sticking too closely to the text can sometimes be a detriment and some things need to be changed to work in a visual medium. Take GoT, most people agree the early seasons at least and pretty good adaptations and yet they make some pretty big changes. They even changed characters names sometimes because two existing character's had too similar sounding names. It is actually something I have run into listening to the WoT audio books. I am sure reading them is no problem, but some characters have names so similar that they get mixed up in my head. Rand, Tam, and Lan for example but the worst is Egwene and Elayne especially because they are so often together in the early books. I number of time I would only half hear the name and have no idea who was talking for a bit. That said, I bet fans would throw a fit if they tried to change either character's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Yeah, it seems the Tolkien estate is being super specific with what they will and wont allow Amazon to use for their up coming series. They cannot go anywhere near the third age (time period of The Hobbit and LotR) and the estate has total veto power over anything that strays away from existing cannon. Should make for an interesting series to say the least.

I honestly think sticking too closely to the text can sometimes be a detriment and some things need to be changed to work in a visual medium. Take GoT, most people agree the early seasons at least and pretty good adaptations and yet they make some pretty big changes. They even changed characters names sometimes because two existing character's had too similar sounding names. It is actually something I have run into listening to the WoT audio books. I am sure reading them is no problem, but some characters have names so similar that they get mixed up in my head. Rand, Tam, and Lan for example but the worst is Egwene and Elayne especially because they are so often together in the early books. I number of time I would only half hear the name and have no idea who was talking for a bit. That said, I bet fans would throw a fit if they tried to change either character's name.
    Not to be rude or anything, but how on earth do you manage to mix up those names?

If they change any names in the WoT series, I'm going over to their place to smack them on the head.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by -aiko- View Post
    They can't fuck it in the same way, at least, because WoT is complete.

I want this to work so bad. WoT is by and far my favorite series.
    The showrunner is already crying about how problematic the books are and has already started racebending characters. They can fuck it up way worse than GoT and from ahat I've seen so far likely will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Not to be rude or anything, but how on earth do you manage to mix up those names?

If they change any names in the WoT series, I'm going over to their place to smack them on the head.
    I deliver news papers for extra cash and listen to audiobooks while I am so most of the time I am only 80% paying attention. It's not a matter of mixing them up, it's that when spoken they sound very similar. The exact same reason is why in the GoT TV series they changes Asha Greyjoy's name to Yara because it was too similar to Osha.

Actually, looking into it, I wonder if they are pronouncing Egwene's name incorrectly on the audiobooks. They pronounce it as E-gwayne but maybe it is actually E-gwen? That's honestly how I would read it if I had read the books before listening to the audiobooks. Although I have heard people on youtube talking about the series say E-gwayne as well. I guess we will see how the TV series does it.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2019-09-15 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They'll need some high level wig glue to stick that wig on Nynaeve's hair.
    Haha.. the clincher would be the actress. I think a cartoon would have nailed it spot on, but an acrtress would have to be good at a cute angry face.. which is what I imagine Nynaeve has.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I deliver news papers for extra cash and listen to audiobooks while I am so most of the time I am only 80% paying attention. It's not a matter of mixing them up, it's that when spoken they sound very similar. The exact same reason is why in the GoT TV series they changes Asha Greyjoy's name to Yara because it was too similar to Osha.

Actually, looking into it, I wonder if they are pronouncing Egwene's name incorrectly on the audiobooks. They pronounce it as E-gwayne but maybe it is actually E-gwen? That's honestly how I would read it if I had read the books before listening to the audiobooks. Although I have heard people on youtube talking about the series say E-gwayne as well. I guess we will see how the TV series does it.
    The books actually have a pronunciation guide, and it sounds like the audiobook is following it. Here's a list: https://library.tarvalon.net/index.p...nciation_Guide

Can you really race bend a series that relies on blood lines and descendants as key parts of its plot?