Poll: Should Thunderfury go to the MT or Rogue?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I know people who legitimately used it in T5 (SSC/TK) but I never saw anyone use it in BT...

I agree with the "did it because they could" part, I did it myself... My guild's second kill of Lich King I tanked with Thunderfury on my Paladin just to prove to some naysayers that it could be done... They thought I wouldn't be able to keep agro, but no one even came close to pulling off me.
    Its been too long and can't remember exactly what I replaced it with in BT but it was a red glowing 1H hammer I think and it was only after they actually nerfed TF in one of the BC patches its that strong for tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fluffhead View Post
    Just give it to the hunter, problem solved.
    You might be being sarcastic... but Tfury is indeed BIS for a Hunter Tank and helps them get to higher raid content. Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Sincerely,
    a hunter raid tank

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    I was actually going to ask if a hunter would benefit from it more than a rogue since the threat wouldn't be generated on ranged hit. Then I realized the hit effect deals a crapton of damage along with the threat spike so nvm.
    Unless a hunter is up there doing melee attacks, the proc will never happen for him. All melee weapon procs require you to do a melee attack. This includes proc enchants like Crusader. Not sure if you were talking about the proc for the rogue or the hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    There is no reason for a Rogue to need Thunderfury, it's a tank weapon.
    I fully agree with this. There's absolutely no reason a rogue should use this since there are tons of other weapons out there that are better for a rogue during vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    This isn't accurate at all, Thunderfury was nerfed in TBC and was not worth using beyond Karazhan. The rare person who still used it in TBC was mostly using it for status, not because it was good. If the proc had not been nerfed then it would have only been used because Warriors still had no AOE threat capability in TBC, still replaced on bosses by higher damage weapons with better stats.
    The reason for tanks using it even on the Illidan fight was not for the proc that did damage or lowered the target's resistance to nature spells. The reason that tanks used it was for the reduced attack speed by 20%. It was an amazing proc after attack speed debuffs were nerfed. Not sure you were even aware of that particular debuff. But yes there were tons of main tanks in high end raiding guilds including Nihlium that used TF all throughout BT.

The real answer to this poll is: depends.

If the GM or the GM gf/bf is a rogue, it is obviously them who will get the weapon first. Regardless of class / attendance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Unless a hunter is up there doing melee attacks, the proc will never happen for him. All melee weapon procs require you to do a melee attack. This includes proc enchants like Crusader. Not sure if you were talking about the proc for the rogue or the hunter.
    As I said, i realized a hunter would not benefit from the proc and the actual stats on the sword aren't what makes it good.

very simple - rogue
    it has agility so f... warriors and paladins
    Last edited by Soimu; 2019-09-16 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    The reason for tanks using it even on the Illidan fight was not for the proc that did damage or lowered the target's resistance to nature spells. The reason that tanks used it was for the reduced attack speed by 20%. It was an amazing proc after attack speed debuffs were nerfed. Not sure you were even aware of that particular debuff. But yes there were tons of main tanks in high end raiding guilds including Nihlium that used TF all throughout BT.
    lol I was just about to point this out

As a rogue, it goes to Tanks.

The more threat a tank can build the more dps you can do as a rogue, if he can even hold better aoe threat, even better for everyone!

Its not even that great a rogue weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I know people who legitimately used it in T5 (SSC/TK) but I never saw anyone use it in BT...

I agree with the "did it because they could" part, I did it myself... My guild's second kill of Lich King I tanked with Thunderfury on my Paladin just to prove to some naysayers that it could be done... They thought I wouldn't be able to keep agro, but no one even came close to pulling off me.
    Quote Originally Posted by david0925 View Post
    to be fair, tank threat is so far ahead of everyone else in Wrath that it probably doesn't matter that much. Your point stands, but I wonder if you can hold threat with even less, because you might very well be able to.
    You could tank without a weapon in ICC. Tanks being far ahead on threat was NOT the case, in fact, so much so was the reverse true that you NEEDED Tricks of the Trade and Misdirects to keep aggro - ICC is what made Vengeance happen.

I personally made a custom DK build just to take all of the damage reduction talents, taking no threat talents whatsoever if I could avoid it. Still tanked ICC25HC without any issues because the threat didn't come from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    very simple - rogue
    it has agility so f... warriors and paladins
    warriors benefit from agi and tfury is BIS for a prot paladin...

Its obviously MT first.

There's no point for a rogue to hold TFury if they're overthreating they'll end up AFK anyway.
    Tank with high threat helps everyone on the raid, its a no brainer.

My Guild in vanilla completed one of the first thunderfurys in the game and it helped immensely. We were on the same server as Nihilum but on alliance so it was packed with top guilds. It was game changer thats for sure, aoe aggro was not even really a thing back then but then we got TF and suddenly we barely had to think about aggro. Anyone who says otherwise never played at a high vanilla level

Quote Originally Posted by Motorman View Post
    So you mean raids should not only waste raid spots by adding hunters but they should also waste itemization on them. No wonder "hunter itam" jokes are still a thing after 15 years.
    I don't believe this is the general mindset of a guild who is working together to accomplish something. If there is a gear improvement for a fellow hunter guildmate I would let him throw is hat in the ring.

It's the best tanking weapon in the game. It's not very good for rogues in a raid environment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dontrelleroosevelt View Post
    Who the Hell is Kungen and you mean BC, not TBC.
    That would be the raid leader of Nihilum/Ensidia, one of the top guilds of vanilla/tbc/wotlk. The world first Illidan kill had Kungen using thunderfury.

A warrior tank from Nihilium.

Tanks are so hard to level, gear and annoying to play.. Even more expensive to play because of repairs etc.

Give the obvious item to the tank - He/she needs the love.

A simple google search shows 4.5mio hits for "kungen". Your posting is banal even by this sub-forum standards.
    -

It is hunt... i mean... MT weapon ofc.

In the true vanilla experience, it obviously goes to the first eligible class in the following order:
    GM->GM's GF/BF->GM's best friend in guild->Anyone who had bribed the GM well enough->MT->OTs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caperfin View Post
    !!NUCLEAR TAKE!!

Rogue but NOT for the damage but the threat. Yup, I'm talking about Rogue Tanking. Let me explain, Warriors already excel so much with threat, at this point they're are "over-threating" and are just a solution for people who can't manage their threat or messup. Players in a good guild should not come close to a warrior's threat at all. I will concede Tfury is good for progression and world first. But if you don't foresee guild progress/world firsts in the next few weeks or months, give tfury to the rogue. You would not believe the threat bump that tfury gives to rogues were talking massive amounts. Obv there's a great deal that goes into rogue tanking but I won't go into it here, unless you are interested.

If you're in a guild that is new to WoW than yes give it to warriors.

Sincerely,
    a warrior tank & rogue tank w/tfury who tanked AQ.
    MMmmmmm that's not how I remember it at allllll. I was a mage in almost all of Vanilla, in a decent guild that cleared up to the 4 Horsemen, and threat was NEVER a given - it was literally the only constraining factor in most boss fights, and our tanks certainly weren't slouches.

You kinda contradict yourself when you say "it's for people who can't manage their threat", and then "players shouldn't come close to a warrior's threat" in the next sentence - the entire point of DPS at a high level was to push as close to the 130% (for ranged) and 110% (for melee) threshold for pulling aggro as possible without actually doing it.