View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Demolitia View Post
    and instead chose to humiliate him as a PR stunt.
    Curious why you think it was a stunt?

The UK asked to move the location as the conference was beginning, so the choice was to cancel the entire conference immediately or to go ahead regardless.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-09-17 at 09:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Imagine thinking the Lib Dems would join a coalition with the same party that helped destroy their base a few years ago. Have to do some serious mental gymnastics to think the Lib Dems would get in bed with the Tories given their new position as the forefront of the anti-brexit movement and the Tories being the pro-Brexit movement. Only a rejoiner could conceive of such nonsense, oh, Jessicka too, I am surprised by that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Imagine thinking the Lib Dems would join a coalition with the same party that helped destroy their base a few years ago. Have to do some serious mental gymnastics to think the Lib Dems would get in bed with the Tories given their new position as the forefront of the anti-brexit movement and the Tories being the pro-Brexit movement. Only a rejoiner could conceive of such nonsense, oh, Jessicka too, I am surprised by that.
    That base is gone and is never coming back. This is their new alignment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    That base is gone and is never coming back. This is their new alignment.
    Their new alignment is anti-Brexit, yes you could suggest fool me once shame on you etc but political suicide is probably not on Swinsons plans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their new alignment is anti-Brexit, yes you could suggest fool me once shame on you etc but political suicide is probably not on Swinsons plans.
    Their rhetoric is very much principally anti-Labour and their target voters are 'moderate' and remain Conservatives. They're not the people you'd take the vote off and then sign up to a Labour coalition with.

No one expected them to do it last time, but look where they ended up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannwatch View Post
    Which part of this did you not understand:
    Jo Swinson is one person in the party, please share something useful like the Lib Dem manifesto that suggests they are even close to the Tory manifesto.

You do not understand, maybe due to ignorance, that one person does not make the party.

How can you argue that the Lib Dems are sympathetic to the Tories when their main selling point is the opposite of the Tories?

10+ Year Old Account
    Jo Swinson is one person in the party, please share something useful like the Lib Dem manifesto that suggests they are even close to the Tory manifesto.

You do not understand, maybe due to ignorance, that one person does not make the party.

How can you argue that the Lib Dems are sympathetic to the Tories when their main selling point is the opposite of the Tories?
    Because they picked a leader that was? Not like Labour picked Corbyn because they wanted to continue in the Blairight direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Because they picked a leader that was? Not like Labour picked Corbyn because they wanted to continue in the Blairight direction.
    They? The MPs did not pick Jo, the members of the party did. To suggest that the current MPs will allow another political suicide coalition is just so absurd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannwatch View Post
    Because that is exactly what happened in 2010.

Yup 2010 happened, the Lib Dems died, they now recover and we're discussing them doing the EXACT same thing again likes it normal? Its not normal to suggest that a party that was wiped out would repeat the exact same thing, its absurd.

As has already been established. The Lib Dems WILL NOT win a majority. Their manifesto is worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    They? The MPs did not pick Jo, the members of the party did. To suggest that the current MPs will allow another political suicide coalition is just so absurd to me.
    The MPs don't exactly back Corbyn either.

Yup 2010 happened, the Lib Dems died, they now recover and we're discussing them doing the EXACT same thing again likes it normal? Its not normal to suggest that a party that was wiped out would repeat the exact same thing, its absurd.
    You say it's absurd, but it's the absurdity of the times that's actually allowing them to recover. Of course they'd do the same thing again, that's just the nature of the party. It's the nature of politics.

Austerity not working? Double down on it. Can't get a good Brexit deal? Double down on just leaving without one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    What kind of insanity is this? So parties other than the main two should not have any manifestos?
    They can have them all they like, they should just come with the huge caveat that, even if they get into government , the vast majority of policies will be abandoned when they form a coalition.

On Brexit, they wont be in a position to revoke A50, that policy is worthless.

On everything else they will almost be certainly a junior partner to either Labour or Tory, it will be those parties who actually dictate government policy.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    They can have them all they like, they should just come with the huge caveat that, even if they get into government , the vast majority of policies will be abandoned when they form a coalition.

On Brexit, they wont be in a position to revoke A50, that policy is worthless.

On everything else they will almost be certainly a junior partner to either Labour or Tory, it will be those parties who actually dictate government policy.
    Obviously circumstances may dictate that is not possible for a party to implement a manifesto pledge when they get into government but in general parties do try to implement policies in their manifestos. If a party joins a coalition as a junior party they are going to be reliant on the majority partner as to which policies are implemented or not.

Why is it worthless? If enough people support this idea then the LDs will be able to form a government and enact their pledge. If they don't then they won't.

There is nothing to suggest that the LDs will go into coalition with either party, in fact history and what the LDs are saying very much suggests that it would be extremely damaging for them to do so.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-09-17 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo202 View Post
    A manifesto states what the party will aim to do if they win a majority.

If they end up in a coalition government, how much of their manifesto they can implement depends on their relative strength in that coalition.

Why is basic stuff like this even an argument?

Interesting twitter thread as to how a deal might work...

https://twitter.com/Mij_Europe/statu...26568449781760

... but I won't be holding my breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post

A Border and regulatory divergence from GB. Sounds exactly what NI wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riversong View Post
    Hmmm who should my vote go for.
    You could just draw a big penis on the card, in a FPTP system this is quite often as much use.

I can't bring myself to do that, I know I won't be voting Tory , labour's manifesto is brilliant but I'm unsure how I feel about Corbyn, lib dems are being abit too extreme these days.
    Vote for whichever party is more likely to win that seat over the Conservative / Brexit Party LTD candidate.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-09-17 at 02:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't bring myself to do that, I know I won't be voting Tory , labour's manifesto is brilliant but I'm unsure how I feel about Corbyn, lib dems are being abit too extreme these days.
    It doesn't really matter about Corbyn, he does what he's told by the Party. Also just remember he's literally the most slandered and misrepresented political leader in the media ever. And not by a small margin.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/media-and-commu...-jeremy-corbyn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post

A deal along those lines has always been a possibility. That's not the hard part here.

Getting that deal ratified in UK parliament is. There's going to be a lot of opposition to any sort of deal there that seeks to introduce regulatory divergence between NI and the rest of UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    Vote for whichever party is more likely to win that seat over the Conservative / Brexit Party LTD candidate.
    This^

I'm voting Lib Dem purely because voting Labour is a throw away vote, they got <4% of the vote here last time.