Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    The broad strokes you paint with are silly and not remotely representative of reality.
    The fact is most people are pathetic excuses for humans as far as human potential and ability. That is 100% representative of reality. That's the problem. Most people don't excel at anything and never will. They're not even good at anything. They're mildly competent at *maybe* one thing. Most people have nothing in their life that is noteworthy or meaningful.

The fact that most of you against me rail "waah, I'm not good at vidiyah games because I'm just oh so focused on real life stuff" ignoring the fact that you and most other people are probably sucking it up there is beyond ironic.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    it would be constant competition for everything that never ends.
    This is how I live and what I thrive on.
    Last edited by BeepBoo; 2019-09-17 at 06:55 PM.

Watch out guys, we got an Ozymandias here!
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    The fact is most people are pathetic excuses for humans as far as human potential and ability. That is 100% representative of reality. That's the problem. Most people don't excel at anything and never will. They're not even good at anything. They're mildly competent. Most people have nothing in their life that is noteworthy or meaningful.

The fact that most of you against me rail "waah, I'm not good at vidiyah games because I'm just oh so focused on real life stuff" ignoring the fact that you and most other people are probably sucking it up there is beyond ironic.
    That point would be worth considering if vidiyah games were truly a sport, and not say commercial products, which need to find customers. Customers who likely range between ''I will rage quit the first time I will die'' and ''I'm going to train for a game as intensely as a pro athlete, but without the benefits for my health and/or groupies/fame/loads of cash'' While there is obviously a not niche market for tough as hell videogames (tough is however meaningless-my XCOM2 ironman max difficulty is not really comparable to Starcraft II or arenas), such products limit their chances of success
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-09-17 at 07:00 PM.

Games like Paradox games say Crusader Kings 2 is near impossible to get into as someone new without watching hours and hours of guides. Atleast that's my view from people trying to get into it. Amazing game when you do get a hang of it it's very rewarding.

I like it though.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    That point would be worth considering if vidiyah games were truly a sport, and not say commercial products. While there is obviously a not niche market for tough as hell videogames (tough is however meaningless-my XCOM2 ironman max difficulty is not really comparable to Starcraft II or arenas), such products limit their chances of success
    Sports or other things you determine to be "meaningful" arbitrarily doesn't mean things that do not fall in your personal definition don't have merit for being taken seriously. I stay away from football, soccer, etc. Team sports just aren't my thing. However, just because I don't like them and think they shouldn't make the millions they do doesn't mean I think there's no merit to taking them seriously. I can appreciate sweaty try-harding anything in life.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Games like Paradox games say Crusader Kings 2 is near impossible to get into as someone new without watching hours and hours of guides. Atleast that's my view from people trying to get into it. Amazing game when you do get a hang of it it's very rewarding.

I like it though.
    While I was never able to get the hang of ''Victoria'', most Paradox games are relatively easy to understand if you are not a masochist (AKA, pick a major instead of a minor-oh, that game with Kamchatka...) The problem is how often you have to relearn it from scratch
    Last edited by sarahtasher; 2019-09-17 at 07:07 PM.

While I was never able to get the hang of ''Victoria'', most Paradox games are relatively easy to understand if you are not a masochist (AKA, pick a major instead of a minor-oh, that game with Kamchatka...) The problem is how often you have to relearn it from scratch
    Yeah i like the trial and error way as in just keep starting new games untill you get a hang of it. Maby watch a lets play too. Crusader Kings 2 issue and the other paradox games is that there is such a shit ton of dlc that makes the game way more complex, im sure the base games are easier to get into.

What i think though is that this generation got no time they want to get into the action fast and they want it easy and they got no time to spend hours and hours just trying to learn the mechanics of the games. Not everyone of course but that's the way i see it.

That's why we have so many battle royal games atm, well that and it's a good streaming serie for twitch.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2019-09-17 at 07:15 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Yeah i like the trial and error way as in just keep starting new games untill you get a hang of it. Maby watch a lets play too. Crusader Kings 2 issue and the other paradox games is that there is such a shit ton of dlc that makes the game way more complex, im sure the base games are easier to get into.

What i think though is that this generation got no time they want to get into the action fast and they want it easy and they got no time to spend hours and hours just trying to learn the mechanics of the games. Not everyone of course but that's the way i see it.

That's why we have so many battle royal games atm, well that and it's a good streaming serie for twitch.
    I have zero patience for watching other people play, and in the specific case of Paradox, I get along by checking Wikias. It does require trial and error.

For everyone who wants a game, as in a challenge to overcome the mainstream majority want a lights show to graze on and to have some comparable ground to talk to people about. Publishers call it 'the watercooler gamer effect'. People might think "but why do people just want to waste time like that?" and i would point people to the data that shows the old folks complaining about kids 'always looking at their phones' spend over 50% of their day every day staring at a television screen. People need something to consume their time and ease of entry is king when its a product for money.

https://kotaku.com/as-esports-grows-...-po-1834982843

Don't shoot the messenger. The article point out that hard numbers are very hard to come by for e-sports (the best example of ''pro-gamers'')

Do people in this thread seriously talk about human potential and whatnot while discussing a recreational activity? That's ridiculous :V

Quote Originally Posted by ls- View Post
    Do people in this thread seriously talk about human potential and whatnot while discussing a recreational activity? That's ridiculous :V
    Personally, it's not that I don't find that games can't be legitimate sports, it's just that in the previous centuries chess was never considered a real sport. (It's not an attempt to be intellectual : chess is probably the most serious game around, with an history far older than most sports, yet it never crossed the treshold to be considered a mainstream sport. Pardon me to be sceptical about PUG. If you mock me and says that chess is not a sport, think about videogames)

Personally, it's not that I don't find that games can't be legitimate sports, it's just that in the previous centuries chess was never considered a real sport. (It's not an attempt to be intellectual : chess is probably the most serious game around, with an history far older than most sports, yet it never crossed the treshold to be considered a mainstream sport. Pardon me to be sceptical about PUG. If you mock me and says that chess is not a sport, think about videogames)
    I was talking about the guy who's frothing about human potential and ability, about excelling at things on this very page while talking about playing video games recreationally. That's just hilarious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes you just want to pop into something, have fun for an hour or 2, then be done. Especially if you already have stressful events in your life, adding to that by "get gud", which is often not a fun process, just makes you miserable. Hobbies should never make one miserable.

It's certainly why I don't go full try hard anymore. I play on the easiest difficulties (except WoW. Bashing head against mythic Ashvane ATM), and Im not ashamed of it because it allows me to enjoy the journey.

I raided in FFXIV. Some fights in FFXIV are nothing but non-stop mechanics every 5-10 seconds. Take Kefka.

Was it fun? Sure! My problem is when the next raid tier comes out, all that know-how is useless because nobody will do that content anymore. That concept alone makes it unattractive to me. It's a lot of mechanics to learn, a lot of muscle memory, all to just never use it again. I think if there was incentive to go back, and if the old raid was scaled to current gear progression, I would enjoy it more.

It's akin to learning math I know I'll never use again. You have to study, put effort into it, and then forget it in three months. I don't enjoy that.

you're starting from a false premise.
    if subs are anything to go by, it's actually the opposite, that more complex mechanics are infact more popular.

to further my point, astral chain, platinum game's recent release, was a massive success because of how engaging it's gameplay is, a portion of which is due to it's depth and complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by BeepBoo View Post
    People like you need to learn to gitgud at everything instead of just being mediocre dabblers. I picked up tennis about a year ago, now at 4.0 level.

Stop being against having to invest time picking something up.
    Stop being okay with being mediocre.
    Reading your aweful judgemental post reminds me of this clip from American Dad:

Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Reading your aweful judgemental post reminds me of this clip from American Dad:
    what, can't make a point not on the TV?\

meanwhile the more casual WoW became, the less popular it became beginning with casualclysm.

Meh, I do what I find fun and or relaxing. A game can be hard and fun, or it can be easy and fun. It's not like these are mutually exclusive things. What I don't jump onto are games that are just hard for the sake of being hard, and the goal is to show of the size of your e-peen for having finished it.

My favourite game of the last few years is probably The Last of Us. It had a really fun story and existed in what I thought was an interesting setting. The game itself was easy as all hell though. But it still kept me engaged the whole way through, and I never felt myself wanting. The narrative was compelling enough to keep me going.

Gaming as an entertainment genre is accessible and available for everyone, and that's the way it should be. People who want a simpler action have options, people that want simulation style realism have options, people that love deep roleplaying have options, people that love simple role playing games have options, hell, people that love simple cell phone games have options as well. Like what you like and spend less time and energy trying to figure out why other people don't always like what you do.

Don't shoot the messenger.
    nah, kotaku is a trash-rag.

and i'll have them once the armed rebels in russia cut-off their supplementary funding from their oligarchical owner post the hulk-suit.