Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    The people who brake check are also the people who deserve to be tailgated because they'll exactly match the speed of the the slow lane, disallowing passing.
    Youre not supposed to pass unless the person in the slow lane is going under the speed limit. The left lane isnt there for people to speed. The speed limit applies to ALL lanes

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    How about just like getting the fuck out of the way rather than brake checking someone? Honestly, the self-righteousness in here, you all have this burning desire to prove your point to the person behind you, not even realizing you're causing an even more dangerous situation.

Grow up, get out of the way, and stop making it worse than it already is.
    Lmao, stop trying to go 20+ over the limit then? Sometime im 10 over limit and a clown like you still riding my ass, just give up your lisence or run into a wall if you like going fast so much, its not a race track. Ill slow down to 40 right in your fucking face until you get a clue, im not gona break the law because you are a moron.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2019-09-18 at 12:24 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    How about just like getting the fuck out of the way rather than brake checking someone? Honestly, the self-righteousness in here, you all have this burning desire to prove your point to the person behind you, not even realizing you're causing an even more dangerous situation.

Grow up, get out of the way, and stop making it worse than it already is.
    how about you drive the fucking speed limit and dont tailgate like a mongoasshat
    Well then get your shit together.
    Get it all together. And put it in a backpack. All your shit. So it’s together. And if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere, you know, take it to the shit store and sell it, or put it in a shit museum, I don’t care what you do, you just gotta get it together.
    Get your shit together

5+ Year Old Account
    Settle down. No need to get huffy.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    Lmao, stop trying to go 20+ over the limit then? Sometime im 10 over limit and a clown like you still riding my ass, just give up your lisence or run into a wall if you like going fast so much, its not a race track. Ill slow down to 40 right in your fucking face until you get a clue, im not gona break the law because you are a moron.
    Impeding the flow of traffic is quite literally breaking the law >.< (in most states)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roxinius View Post
    how about you drive the fucking speed limit and dont tailgate like a mongoasshat
    You do understand that brake checking is also illegal, is takes an already dangerous situation to another level. You just need to be objective.

You do understand that brake checking is also illegal, is takes an already dangerous situation to another level. You just need to be objective.
    its completely legal, unless you're coming to a near complete stop breaking minimum speed limit. it is your responsibility as a driver to maintain a safe stopping distance between yourself and the car in front of you.

There are two speeds on the highway; traffic speed, and allowable speed.
    In either case tailgating is always wrong.
    As I've often said, the guy behind you isn't paying your insurance, and won't be responsible if you get caught speeding. (which adds points)
    In most cases, the irresponsible insurance payout is usually driving in the passing lane anyway. (NJ State troopers love you)

There's a special place in hell for both brake checkers and tailgaters.

I especially loathe tailgaters. I would love to say to them, "Hey douchebag who is following me too closely, do you think, at our speed, that you will have enough time to stop if I have to stop? No? THEN BACK THE FUCK OFF!" through telepathy.

I myself just set cruise control and drop it about 5 under the speed limit if someone gets that close, it really just aggravates me when I am doing like 10 over and someone gets close enough that their headlights can't be seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wrong, it’s considered reckless driving.
    Nope you are wrong and he is right, there is nothing in any driver hand book or any law that suggest what you are saying in either the U.S or Canada. If you are traveling too close to someone going to speed limit, then YOU are at fault.

Dash Cam or Priest isn't going to change that fact.

The only considerations would be if it's on a highway, and if the driver that got hit wasn't going to legally posted speed anything other than that, you don't have the right to tailgate.

As to the break checking in and of itself, there may be some laws that pertain to this but it has zero to do with liability.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wrong, it’s considered reckless driving.
    Not wrong though, it is perfectly legal to slow down to a safe speed rather than let some fool smash into your backside if you have to suddenly stop. It is possible to recklessly drive too slow, but folks here aren't talking about that. The one example of recklessness was the person talking about driving 20 on a freeway, which is excessive unless there were conditions not shared.

If you can change lanes you will, but this isn't always an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Impeding the flow of traffic is quite literally breaking the law >.< (in most states)
    Eh No!

Impeding traffic is typically defined as when a driver is not operating their vehicle reasonably and blocks the normal flow of traffic. The laws governing this violation vary by jurisdiction; however, they generally follow a standard of “reasonable operation”.

Going the speed limit is not impeding the flow of traffic and it's not breaking the law, speeding is. And unless it's on the highway where you legally aren't allowed to stop unless your car is disabled on the shoulder. Yeah all traffic in all lanes need to follow the speed limit
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I don't see anything wrong with break checking. That being said, if you want to break check someone either A) let them pass you and be a good driver or B) you have anger and control issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Going the speed limit is not impeding the flow of traffic and it's not breaking the law, speeding is. And unless it's on the highway where you legally aren't allowed to stop unless your car is disabled on the shoulder. Yeah all traffic in all lanes need to follow the speed limit
    I don't think anyone was talking about driving the speed limit.

If you're driving 20-30 under the limit, for no reason other than "I'm a bad driver", or "fuck the people behind me, they're assholes", then you're impeding traffic. Which is breaking the law.

I've seen cops pull people over and ticket them for this. One person was trying to do a "protest" and driving around the downtown at like 10kph, during rush hour. Cops pulled them over, massive ticket was issued.

10+ Year Old Account
    If some person is on your ass...ignore them. You become an ass too, and a further problem on the road, if you brake check them. They can't make you go faster or slower, so just ignore them. Why play with fat and risk an accident, thus wasting your time at the very least.

Believe me, it pisses the person behind off a lot more if you ignore them than if you brake and let them know they got to you.

ALSO, DONT BE THE GUY DRIVING IN THE LEFT LANE WITHOUT PASSING PEOPLE! Straight up illegal in some states.

ALSO ALSO IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE SPEED LIMIT OR NIGHT DRIVING...MAYBE YOU SHOULD RECONSIDER DRIVING!

ALSO ALSO ALSO DONT RIDE ON PEOPLES ASSES EVEN IF THEY ARE DRIVING LIKE A NERVOUS 14-YEAR-OLD.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-09-18 at 03:48 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with break checking.
    Except it's 100% illegal. Yeah, you'll most likely get away with it, but you're purposely driving recklessly, almost hoping for an accident to prove you were "right".

Edit: Brake checking is a particular pet peeve of mine because as I've said I drive in an area with a lot of high speed 2 lane highways. There's literally no reason to brake between stoplights that are at least a mile apart as we're driving through forests that don't even have places to turn off and I've got people slamming on their brakes in front of me to show someone up (I'm not even the tailgater, I'm 3rd or 4th in line). I can see the road in front of everybody and I know there wasn't some emergency reason to brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I did my driving test with a state trooper. I made sure to go only the speed limit which was about 10mph slower than everybody else on the highway. When we finished he said "I understand you were following the law, but you should keep up with traffic. It's much more dangerous to not keep up with the flow of traffic."
    Last edited by Nellise; 2019-09-18 at 05:55 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Needs to be done. It's what you get for tailgating. And if you wind up hitting someone for tailgating, then you are at fault.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Except it's 100% illegal. Yeah, you'll most likely get away with it, but you're purposely driving recklessly, almost hoping for an accident to prove you were "right".

Edit: Brake checking is a particular pet peeve of mine because as I've said I drive in an area with a lot of high speed 2 lane highways. There's literally no reason to brake between stoplights that are at least a mile apart as we're driving through forests that don't even have places to turn off and I've got people slamming on their brakes in front of me to show someone up (I'm not even the tailgater, I'm 3rd or 4th in line). I can see the road in front of everybody and I know there wasn't some emergency reason to brake.

I did my driving test with a state trooper. I made sure to go only the speed limit which was about 10mph slower than everybody else on the highway. When we finished he said "I understand you were following the law, but you should keep up with traffic. It's much more dangerous to not keep up with the flow of traffic."
    The point of brake checking is to ensure the retard who is riding your ass backs off. We don't have many tailgaters in my area but they do happen, and I make sure they get a brake check to make them back off. I'm not going to speed because some douchecanoe thinks I'm not driving fast enough, and I usually do 10 Km/hr over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    What do you guys think of people who brake check people on the road? For example when someone is being a dickhead and riding your ass on the road and you slam on the brakes
    People who brake check should be ready to write a payment cheque for the massive amount of damage brake checking can do if done at the wrong time. I have seen so many clips of it that I am almost certain you must own a dashcam to drive safely in the US. Of course, there are people who tailgate which is shit but brake checking is not always a good way.

Brake check is also a common harassment method in the US and other countries. A car overtakes another car and than slams the break in front.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

It's reckless. I rather use windshield spray, since some of it goes over the car and hits the tailgater's windshield, signaling their proximity is undesired. Assholes gonna asshole, so if that doesn't get the message through I'll just bear it till they go past me or turn elsewhere, imagining in my mind my car was equipped with a hatch for dropping caltrops.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post

The point of brake checking is to ensure the retard who is riding your ass backs off. We don't have many tailgaters in my area but they do happen, and I make sure they get a brake check to make them back off. I'm not going to speed because some douchecanoe thinks I'm not driving fast enough, and I usually do 10 Km/hr over.
    So don't speed? It's his problem, not yours, and all brake checking does is escalate the situation. You have no idea who is behind that guy that you're also causing problems for.