Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mind sharing with the rest of us?

Hey, forum!

First post here, hope it is well received!
    I was wondering if you would be willing to share your top 3 gold farming tips with the rest of the community?

Personally, my top 3 is as follows:

1) Jadefire farm run
    2) Grinding Whelps
    3) Professions

Hopefully, we can share some insights with each other, so we can all make a good fortune in Classic.

Cheers!

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Roll a mage and AOE farm, port people.
    2) Professions
    3) solo low level content at max level.
    Selling myself out below

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have not actually played on classic yet, so this is old (and possibly flawed) memory from back in vanilla, but I seem to recall farming the Scarlet mobs over in tyrs hand being at least halfway decent. IIRC the point was to be a rogue and pickpocket them before each kill though.

There were also some camps in Azshara where I used to farm Runecloth.

Farm cloth, create bags as a tailor, and then sell the bags perhaps as well.

Some folks would spend hours over in the field by uthers tomb in the plaguelands farming for the crusader enchant too; which sold for a few thousand gold on my server back then.

If you're in it for the long game however, you could look up the materials required for the AQ gate and start hoarding them to sell at a premium once it opens up; though I suspect you'd definitely not be the only one with that plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamington View Post
    1) Roll a mage and AOE farm, port people.
    Why would a mage sell portals? Just bring your own rune to a mage and they will most likley port you free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Annelie View Post
    Why would a mage sell portals? Just bring your own rune to a mage and they will most likley port you free of charge.
    Because most people either don't know to do that or bring the wrong one? Either that or they are willing to spend more (often 1g) for the convenience of not having to find a reagent vendor.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    Some folks would spend hours over in the field by uthers tomb in the plaguelands farming for the crusader enchant too; which sold for a few thousand gold on my server back then.
    I sure hope they're all farming in the area around Uther's Tomb for that, because that's not where the mobs that drop it live.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wysimdnwyg View Post
    Because most people either don't know to do that or bring the wrong one? Either that or they are willing to spend more (often 1g) for the convenience of not having to find a reagent vendor.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure hope they're all farming in the area around Uther's Tomb for that, because that's not where the mobs that drop it live.
    /shrug, my memory's fuzzy of what folks said back then, the location isn't as important as the target of course, but the correction is appreciated I'm sure.

@OP looks like the correct spot may be hearthglen and/or tyrs hand with some scarlet caster mobs after a quick google.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    I have not actually played on classic yet, so this is old (and possibly flawed) memory from back in vanilla, but I seem to recall farming the Scarlet mobs over in tyrs hand being at least halfway decent. IIRC the point was to be a rogue and pickpocket them before each kill though.
    Yeah Tyrs could be pretty good. Also farm the road to Hearthglen for the Crusader enchant.

My vanilla farming technique was to chain solo the SM dungeons with my rogue and D/E all the drops to sell enchanting mats on the AH. No clue if that is worth it in Classic, but it bought me my epic mount way back when.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Yeah Tyrs could be pretty good. Also farm the road to Hearthglen for the Crusader enchant.

My vanilla farming technique was to chain solo the SM dungeons with my rogue and D/E all the drops to sell enchanting mats on the AH. No clue if that is worth it in Classic, but it bought me my epic mount way back when.
    This is the hard part right now. In Vanilla, the various professions were all profitable in some way. Bags, potions, some of the toys and pets Engineers could make.... Even once you get past the pre-raid gear because most people who care are in either raid or PVP gear, even the crafting professions could make money. Now, we don't really know. Sure, some things like Enchanting and Alchemy should have ample demand - at least for selected items/enchants - but with everyone having 15 years of player experience to draw on, you'll likely find that the "best" professions will be so heavily covered as to make their abilities less valuable. Professions were fairly well spread out in Vanilla, so my Enchanter could stand in IF and make money hand over fist using their mats just from tips. This was partly because I was one of just a few who had certain enchants. If 30% of the player base in Classic is an Enchanter, it will be very likely that even the most rare enchants (+4 Stats to chest/Crusader) will have plenty of sources. (Note that +4 stats will not be available until the green dragons are released in phase 4.)

OP, the trick is very similar to figuring out how to make money in the real world: Figure out what people want and where there is space for an enterprising person to fulfill that desire. If your server is like Vanilla, then Enchanting and Alchemy will be able to make plenty of money. If there are loads of Enchanters and Alchemists running around, perhaps you can fill everyone's pet fetish via Engineering. (We get used to always having a pet out in retail, so a whole lot of people are going to want one in Classic, despite it taking a bag slot.) Maybe everyone went with crafting professions at max level and there is a gap in the gathering area. In that case, providing plenty of ore/leather/herbs will be the secret.

Now, if you just want to farm to make cash, I'd say you can't really do better than farming SM (Cathedral is probably best, but it's also the hardest if you're not level 60) or Tyr's Hand in EPL. Maybe there are some spots with specific items people want (the Crusader enchant in Hearthglen, WPL, for example), but for general farming SM and Tyr's Hand are the generally considered favorites. (Note that the popularity of Tyr's Hand may actually make that a bad place to go. It's heavily dependent on plenty of mobs being available for you to kill without having to fight for them with other players. SM, on the other hand, is an instance, so it's all yours.)
    Last edited by wysimdnwyg; 2019-09-19 at 01:09 PM.

Getting a Farm bot

Farming tips? Making sure this is farming, cause AH manipulation is almost always the best way to make gold and also things like selling xmutes, but if you want farming:

1 - Farm devilsaur skins.
    2 - Farm Tyr's hand or Frostwhisper Gorge
    3 - Farm Strat Live for Righteous Orbs

LOL most people aren't going to carry around mage portals on non mage characters and take up bag space when a simple 1g or 2g will do.

Just like in retail, this is ALWAYS the worst question to ask. People will never divulge the best means of making gold. Giving away gold making secrets only hurts people because it either increases competition on the marketplace or alerts Blizzard to nerf the gold farm. So you never get good answers asking this. Sorry.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

A few weeks into the later phases selling MC/BWL/dungeon runs will probably be the best option. Until then just food/water/portal/buffs sales.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    LOL most people aren't going to carry around mage portals on non mage characters and take up bag space when a simple 1g or 2g will do.
    You usualy get the request when you are in a main city. It is very rare you get a request in the middle of nowhere or in a Q hub.

You usualy get the request when you are in a main city. It is very rare you get a request in the middle of nowhere or in a Q hub.
    Kargath and Blackrock Mountain are Mage Portal central when you get to 60.

Quote Originally Posted by SupBrah View Post
    Kargath and Blackrock Mountain are Mage Portal central when you get to 60.
    I am alliance. Well then people will have to pay me the 40s for their portal if they want it in BrM.

I port free of charge with my own runes. Same as I stand in org providing food and water to anyone who needs it.

I detest mages selling that shit. Ironically, I've made a fair amount of people insisting on tipping / donating
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I port free of charge with my own runes. Same as I stand in org providing food and water to anyone who needs it.

I detest mages selling that shit. Ironically, I've made a fair amount of people insisting on tipping / donating
    I dont, the runes cost me money. Water and food i never charge for but portals is a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

Can't imagine having enough time on my hands that I'd sit around in a city in game handing out free food/water/portals. Nice of you, but eh.
    Quote Originally Posted by downnola View Post
    me: wow, why am I tired and feel like shit?
    body: coffee is not a meal, drink some water
    body: eat a vegetable.
    body: sleep
    me: I guess we'll never know
    body: oh my god.

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Can't imagine having enough time on my hands that I'd sit around in a city in game handing out free food/water/portals. Nice of you, but eh.

Stock up to 200+ water / biscuits

Go do shit

head back to the city to log out, spend 10 minutes handing out freebies

Not exactly time consuming
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate