Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halyon View Post
    Karate Kid. We're not talking about everything else though, talking about WoW specifically. While 1 exception has now been named, I do not personally think it warrants goblins getting monk.
    Again, you're seriously going to tell me goblins can't think of a way to market monk studios for profit? The same race that swindles elementals and charges for Power Word: Fortitude can't find a market niche for exotic combat styles that would appeal to the culture we saw on Kezan and in Bilgewater Harbor? I mean, if you seriously believe goblins wouldn't get in on that market as soon as they became aware of it, okay, but I personally haven't seen a single market niche goblins haven't been on like a crackhead on a nickel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    they'd have to either revamp the worgen and goblin starting zones, or they'd have to specifically give worgen monks their own starting experience.

i know that the leveling story progression is fucked beyond all reasoning, but the specific stories of the worgen/goblin zones are specifically cata era. so it'd need to be addressed.
    "This weird monk made landfall and said he's from some drifting island or something. His combat style has gotten popular, though," is about all the lore blurb you'd need. It's all the lore blurb needed for monk trainers in the draenei and blood elf starting zones, after all.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    *shrug*

I don't know, then. The actual reason is because the goblin/worgen starting zones are "locked in time", happening at the same time as Deathwing begins "breaking" the world, which was prior to Pandaria's mists being parted. But that's only a gameplay reasoning.

I'm just trying to rationalize a lore reason that was never given, as far as I know.
    the point is there is no lore reasons at all, its just their zones indeed, but blizzard is way too lazy to change that quickly

i remember reading somewhere the models didn't have the monk animations, because it was a different setting than the previous ones, but dunno if it is confirmed, but i think now they got those monk animations.

As for your "icing in the cake" picture, that doesn't really mean anything, considering I can make any leather-wearer look like a monk, to be honest.
    its mean yes, because he is indeed a monk goblin in the monk class hall, he is a member or the order as well.

5+ Year Old Account
    No. Goblin monks don't make any sense with how they're a very selfish, profit-obsessed race. But then again, they somehow got to be shamans.
    Well they organize martial arts tournaments for profit and some of the contestants hire (more like kidnap) wandering Pandaren to teach them. Makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    the point is there is no lore reasons at all, its just their zones indeed, but blizzard is way too lazy to change that quickly
    I'm not sure if it's a case of "laziness", considering this isn't a simple 'flip of the switch' thing to do. I imagine they'd have to give a whole new starting zone and starting questline for monk goblins and worgen, since Pandaren are not out in the world yet before the Cataclysm happens.

i remember reading somewhere the models didn't have the monk animations, because it was a different setting than the previous ones, but dunno if it is confirmed, but i think now they got those monk animations.
    Don't quote me on this, but I think they do. I think I recall using the 'Coin of Many Faces' and getting a worgen form on my monk, and got animations just fine. But that was a long time ago.

its mean yes, because he is indeed a monk goblin in the monk class hall, he is a member or the order as well.
    Alright. I got nothing, then.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if it's a case of "laziness", considering this isn't a simple 'flip of the switch' thing to do. I imagine they'd have to give a whole new starting zone and starting questline for monk goblins and worgen, since Pandaren are not out in the world yet before the Cataclysm happens.
    Tell that to the Draenei where supposedly the trainer was there since TBC. He saw the Exodar go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    There's no real reason why either race can't be Monks. All Blizzard has to say is that Goblin Monks are individuals who've come to reject their mainstream culture of greed. Worgen can just be seeking further peace from their curse. IIRC, it has something to do with amount of people playing these races or something.
    The reason is that their starting zones are timelocked, and it makes no sense in the story for Pandaren to be there teaching them how to be monks at that time. So they either:

a) don't get to be monks due to having a timelocked scenario
    b) break lore by having Pandaren in Kezan and Gilneas when they wouldn't be there
    c) start monks at lvl 10 once they are beyond their starting zones

Option A is the easiest and makes the most sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post
    The reason is that their starting zones are timelocked, and it makes no sense in the story for Pandaren to be there teaching them how to be monks at that time. So they either:

b) break lore by having Pandaren in Kezan and Gilneas when they wouldn't be there

I mean, the starting zones can be updated to reflect more recent lore. Worgen one might be iffy though, due to how the curse works, and the serum has to be taken asap, but that could just not be included and be a starting ability.

I mean, the starting zones can be updated to reflect more recent lore. Worgen one might be iffy though, due to how the curse works, and the serum has to be taken asap, but that could just not be included and be a starting ability.
    Easiest solution would probably just to have worgen and goblin monks start at 10 and skip the starting zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Easiest solution would probably just to have worgen and goblin monks start at 10 and skip the starting zone.
    Easiest and could are not always the better roads. Updating starting zones in general would in my opinion be about time, if they want to expand classes. But I also think class 'skins' would be cool to just allow everyone to be everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    Tell that to the Draenei where supposedly the trainer was there since TBC. He saw the Exodar go down.
    There were very few pandaren wanderers around the world, yes. But here's the thing:
    • Kezan is not only way "out there" and rather unreachable by simple wanderers, and it's storyline does not allow for a monk to be there. Kezan is a city of luxury and debauchery, where I doubt any goblin there would be interested in the teachings of a monk.
    • Gilneas, prior to the Worgen curse, was not a very welcoming nation, to the point of erecting a huge wall so they didn't have to deal with non-Gilneans. I doubt a pandaren would have been given entry to Gilneas prior to Cataclysm.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    they should have all classes of worgen and goblins start at lv 10, its a fucking hell do their starting zones, its the reson i only have 3 worgens, 1 being a DK and 1 goblin

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post

d) have them start in Orgrimmar / Stormwind or on Pandaria.
    Have Lorewalker Cho and a Monk pandaren trainer present.

The Monk trainer will tell the level 1 monks that they need to learn about their past to get harmony.
    So you need to talk to Lorewalker Cho and he teleports you into the past in the starting zones of Cata.

Then at either the end of the scenario's or level 12 you can teleport out of the starting zones and move on.

5+ Year Old Account
    There were very few pandaren wanderers around the world, yes. But here's the thing:
    • Kezan is not only way "out there" and rather unreachable by simple wanderers, and it's storyline does not allow for a monk to be there. Kezan is a city of luxury and debauchery, where I doubt any goblin there would be interested in the teachings of a monk.
    • Gilneas, prior to the Worgen curse, was not a very welcoming nation, to the point of erecting a huge wall so they didn't have to deal with non-Gilneans. I doubt a pandaren would have been given entry to Gilneas prior to Cataclysm.
    I told you the Goblins kidnapped a Pandaren to get an edge in a martial arts tournament.

As for Gilneans, druids were explained away as harvest witches. The same BS can be used for monks. They are boxers. Or they have their own brawling guild.

Quote Originally Posted by tromage2 View Post
    Goblin monk.
    Sounds good to me. I absolutely loved my goblin appearance on my monk in Secrets of Ragefire scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Wangming View Post
    I told you the Goblins kidnapped a Pandaren to get an edge in a martial arts tournament.
    It wouldn't work. Because being a monk is not 'just martial arts'. Goblins would much rather build a robot/mech to do their fighting (as they actually do, even in soccer) than do the fight themselves.

As for Gilneans, druids were explained away as harvest witches. The same BS can be used for monks. They are boxers. Or they have their own brawling guild.
    Monks aren't 'boxers', and the class is heavily themed after pandaren.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    WoW is silly enough already. No kung fu werewolves, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    I have a hard time thinking a race rooted in greed and another that suffers from violent tendencies can master the strict disciplinary prerequisites to be a Monk.
    someone bet Marten Pennypuncher he couldn't catch all the falling coins before they hit the ground... Marten refused to allow a single copper to escape his grasp and thus mastered the thousand hand penny pincher technique

Only after night elf paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    someone bet Marten Pennypuncher he couldn't catch all the falling coins before they hit the ground... Marten refused to allow a single copper to escape his grasp and thus mastered the thousand hand penny pincher technique
    Lol got me there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    Yea and undead makes sooo much sense ). You can say that they are already dead so they are zen but still.
    Not just zen but living in such a torturous state takes a strong will of mind, which is kind of their forte.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    whereas the issue with Goblins Forsaken is their entire race lacks even the desire to want to change because they likely don't see anything wrong with how they act. They're not evil, just morally bankrupt.
    Hey look the sentence still works. Except perhaps the "not evil" bit. Unless you're with the Alliance like Alonsus Foal, apparently, but if we're going to use extreme outliers as examples of an unlikely race-class combo you can use Gazlowe as an example of a not-bad Goblin.

Also, you can apply similar arguments used for Void Elf monks to Worgen, except the Worgen are further placated and calmed by druid magic, going the monk route wouldn't be too far of a stretch from there.

Honestly I think the whole monk class could use a soft theme relaunch. It feels like too much of a relic of Pandaria in a world that already had monks, just the religious light variety. Expanding the class to more races may be a good opportunity to do that.

Death Knights do not really feel like relics of WotLK as they've kind of progressed a bit, but I fear Demon Hunters may end up feeling like relics of Legion in the coming years if they don't figure out where to take them post-Illidan, post-demon. Getting off track there, but I hope any future classes added feel less isolated to their launch expacs and the designers keep class relevance in mind. Perhaps expanding all 3 classes to other races and adding in some new fluff or thematics would be beneficial.
    Last edited by Oneirophobia; 2019-09-20 at 03:18 PM.